Alternate Series of Blackadder

This has surely been done before, but I haven't seen it in years and I think it'd be a hoot to compare and suggest ATL series of Blackadder - either in AH scenarios or just real life historical settings that were not used by the original series.

For comparison, here's all (IIRC) the OTL settings:

The Black Adder - The Wars of the Roses
Blackadder II - Elizabethan England
Blackadder the Third - The Regency
Blackadder Goes Forth - The First World War
Blackadder's Christmas Carol - Dickensian/Victorian London/The Far Future
Blackadder: The Cavalier Years - the English Civil War
Blackadder Back and Forth - The Roman occupation of Britain, the Elizabethans again, the Napoleonic Wars, the present day (references to other periods including WWII and the 1980s)

Only the first four were full-on series, and the last one, made in 1999 in co-operation with Sky, was unsurprisingly a pile of shit. There are also interviews which suggest the setting for the fifth series (which was considered for a time) was to be the 1960s, based around a band called The Blackadder Five. I don't know how I feel about that. Stephen Fry once wrote that he'd've liked to do a Blackadder film called The Red Adder, set during the Russian Civil War as a pastiche of Dr Zhivago.

My own idea for an OTL fifth series was 'Blackadder at Checkpoint Five', set in the late 1940s/early 1950s as an early-cold war (but as historically inaccurate as the previous ones, so might include the Cuban Missile Crisis) piece set at a British Army checkpoint, later office, in post-war Berlin. Blackadder is a demobbed officer who's been commissioned as the head of the checkpoint with Baldrick as his aide, a distant relative of George is a rabid anti-communist intelligence officer, and Darling is overseeing the whole thing from a military perspective, being the son of WWI era Darling and finally in the top job. Melchett I was never sure about, I didn't want to just copy the WWI persona and that one was quite different to the Elizabethan one, so I might've made him an 'M' like figure closer to his bishop character in series 2 - one that battles with Blackadder using wits and often gets the better of him. Cameos from Miranda Richardson as a beautiful Russian spy, of course, and Rik Mayall as James Flashman, MI6's top man. Hilarity ensues when Blackadder has to defuse altercations with the Russians, accidentally (or deliberately) sabotages the British efforts in the Suez, and makes an enemy of the incoming Mayor of West Berlin.

In other timelines, it's very possible that in world without Yes, Minister, a fifth or sixth Blackadder series (produced, say, in the late 1990s or now) could have seen Edmund in the Sir Humphrey role and George or Percy/Darling as the minister/Prime Minister. A pastiche of the Thatcher era. However, such a thing isn't very plausible in OTL because Yes Minister very much does exist.

Other obvious candidates include a WWII setting, but it would be a bit too similar to WWI and there's a lot of WWII sitcoms already. Going back in time again, a fleshed-out Victorian series could have worked, as could a classical-era one. I feel the future should be left to Red Dwarf.

So, what ideas do you have?

Thande

Donor
Your 1940s idea is interesting but would probably be considered too similar to Blackadder Goes Forth due to the military connection. I think you need to go for something totally different, hence I think why they liked the band idea (although not enough to do it). One possibility, which is somewhat like the setting they did at the start of 'Blackadder Back and Forth', was to transpose the model of Blackadder II and III into the modern day, with Blackadder as a modern impoverished aristocrat and he, Baldrick and the gang keep doing wacky money-making schemes trying to keep the bailiffs away so they can keep the ancestral mansion and the way of life they're accustomed to. Of course the problem is this isn't historical. Perhaps this could work set in the sixties as well?

Blackadder V with Edmund as the Thatcherite Honourable Member for Dunny on the Wold, now a post war new town ..... Too much like the New Statesman.

I'd would love to see how a sixties Blackadder pans out with Edmund as an Andrew Loog Oldham type character

a common rumour was that the fifth blackadder would be based in the 1960s around a band ..

That's written in the first post...

As for the 'too similar' angle, yes, but one must remember the first three were all essentially 'in the court of monarch X...' comedies.

De la Tour

Banned
I don't know where a fifth Blackadder would have gone, really. It could work with, as has been suggested, a BAOR setting. But I quite like the idea of one set in the millenium-era with him trying to cash in on the internet boom. I don't know how Baldrick or George would fit in to it, but it might work.

Here's an idea that I posted in a similar thread some years ago:

Blackadder: Untouchable

Blackadder and Baldrick survive the Western Front, and have made their way to the US. Capt. Edmund Blackadder fell in love with an American nurse while he was healing from wounds sustained and his final battle. It turned out that she was the daughter of a well connected American colonel. Blackadder, through nepotism, ends up with a job in Bureau of Prohibition, and Baldrick comes along as his personal assisstant. Baldrick also happens to be a dead ringer of Al Capone. Throught a series of comic misadventures, Capone ends up dead, and to keep up there funding they put Bladrick into his place. The stories would deal with "Capone" trying to keep Bugs Moran from taking over Chicago, and keeping the US Congress supplied with booze.

This has surely been done before, but I haven't seen it in years and I think it'd be a hoot to compare and suggest ATL series of Blackadder - either in AH scenarios or just real life historical settings that were not used by the original series.

For comparison, here's all (IIRC) the OTL settings:

The Black Adder - The Wars of the Roses
Blackadder II - Elizabethan England
Blackadder the Third - The Regency
Blackadder Goes Forth - The First World War
Blackadder's Christmas Carol - Dickensian/Victorian London/The Far Future
Blackadder: The Cavalier Years - the English Civil War
Blackadder Back and Forth - The Roman occupation of Britain, the Elizabethans again, the Napoleonic Wars, the present day (references to other periods including WWII and the 1980s)

Only the first four were full-on series, and the last one, made in 1999 in co-operation with Sky, was unsurprisingly a pile of shit. There are also interviews which suggest the setting for the fifth series (which was considered for a time) was to be the 1960s, based around a band called The Blackadder Five. I don't know how I feel about that. Stephen Fry once wrote that he'd've liked to do a Blackadder film called The Red Adder, set during the Russian Civil War as a pastiche of Dr Zhivago.

My own idea for an OTL fifth series was 'Blackadder at Checkpoint Five', set in the late 1940s/early 1950s as an early-cold war (but as historically inaccurate as the previous ones, so might include the Cuban Missile Crisis) piece set at a British Army checkpoint, later office, in post-war Berlin. Blackadder is a demobbed officer who's been commissioned as the head of the checkpoint with Baldrick as his aide, a distant relative of George is a rabid anti-communist intelligence officer, and Darling is overseeing the whole thing from a military perspective, being the son of WWI era Darling and finally in the top job. Melchett I was never sure about, I didn't want to just copy the WWI persona and that one was quite different to the Elizabethan one, so I might've made him an 'M' like figure closer to his bishop character in series 2 - one that battles with Blackadder using wits and often gets the better of him. Cameos from Miranda Richardson as a beautiful Russian spy, of course, and Rik Mayall as James Flashman, MI6's top man. Hilarity ensues when Blackadder has to defuse altercations with the Russians, accidentally (or deliberately) sabotages the British efforts in the Suez, and makes an enemy of the incoming Mayor of West Berlin.

In other timelines, it's very possible that in world without Yes, Minister, a fifth or sixth Blackadder series (produced, say, in the late 1990s or now) could have seen Edmund in the Sir Humphrey role and George or Percy/Darling as the minister/Prime Minister. A pastiche of the Thatcher era. However, such a thing isn't very plausible in OTL because Yes Minister very much does exist.

Other obvious candidates include a WWII setting, but it would be a bit too similar to WWI and there's a lot of WWII sitcoms already. Going back in time again, a fleshed-out Victorian series could have worked, as could a classical-era one. I feel the future should be left to Red Dwarf.

So, what ideas do you have?

Good idea! Perhaps Brainbin can incorporate it into his TL? And maybe, we can just ditch the first Blackadder series and start with Blackadder II right out of the gate. After a pilot for "The Black Adder" is commissioned, and isn't accepted.

Givne that a fifth series would probably be made in the eary 90s perhaps a contemporary scenario where Edmund is an avaricious businessman a spoof on the Gordon Gecko character

Thande

Donor
Good idea! Perhaps Brainbin can incorporate it into his TL? And maybe, we can just ditch the first Blackadder series and start with Blackadder II right out of the gate. After a pilot for "The Black Adder" is commissioned, and isn't accepted.

Television does not work that way.

If you mean you prefer the feel of II and the later series to I, I was originally supposed to be like that, with a clever Blackadder and a stupid Baldrick; there is an unscreened pilot circulating on Youtube to prove it. Executive meddling changed that, and it's easy enough to get rid of that.

I like that Yes, Minister/Blackadder idea. What a pity it didn't happen...

Another idea, a The Thick of It/Blackadder thing?

Thick Of It and Blackadder have similar but different humour - Blackadder led to the rise of snarky BritComs and definitely has a place in the heritage of TTOI, but a Blackadder take on New Labour wouldn't look like TTOI.

However, if the 1980s-set Blackadder/Yes Minister combo (in a universe where Yes, Minister never existed) was a success, then 'Blackadder as civil servant' could become the theme of the remaining series, as 'Blackadder as royal servant/aristocrat' was in the early ones. So, series 7, 'Blackadder, Blackadder, Blackadder' (as in 'Education, Education, Education') could be set in New Labour with a cousin of Sir Edmund Blackadder working as an adviser to a very New Labour minister played by the hapless Tim McInnerny. I love the idea of Rik Mayall playing Tony Blair in cameos that make it clear he's a descendant of Lord Flashheart...

A nice mini-TL based around 'Blackadder filling the void of political sitcoms like Yes Minister, New Statesman and TTOI once it runs out of history to move forward into' could be:

First four series as normal
A fifth series, set in the late 1940s/early 1950s scenario, is made in 1991 to capitalise on the end of the Cold War
A sixth series, set in the 1980s in the government of Margaret Thatcher, is made in 1993, with Blackadder as a ruthless civil servant dealing with the thoroughly 'wet' Tory minister George Barleigh
A film, 'Operation Desert Adder' is produced in 1997, and sees Blackadder and his usual entourage running around Kuwait and Iraq trying to prevent/start/profit from Desert Storm - the film is not a great success and nearly turns the whole franchise into a liability
In 2009, with the expenses scandal discrediting politicians, people start to cry out for a new Blackadder series in the same way that people IOTL wanted Spitting Image (and not Headcases. Nobody ever wanted Headcases). A new series, released in early 2010, is set in 'the late 1990s' and Ed Blackadder, slick, charming and utterly without principle, has used his great uncle Sir Edmund Blackadder's civil service connections to have an easy life and a straight route to the House of Commons. As Secretary of State for Affairs he is assisted by his PPS, Mr S. Baldrick MP, someone who is 'from the trade union bit of the party, though he remains of the impression that a trade union is what happens when two greengrocers want to get married'. Geoffrey Barleigh, son of the great Tory minister George Barleigh, is his Tory opposite number, and hilarity ensues as the whole merry band romp through the excesses and failures of the Blair years.

So, in this world not quite like our own, we have the following series:

The Black Adder (1983)
Blackadder II (1986)
Blackadder the Third (1987)
Blackadder Goes Forth (1989)
Blackadder in Sector 5 (1991)
Blackadder 6 (1993)
Blackadder '97 (2010)

Thande

Donor
Perhaps. It seems to me like a rather radical change of direction, but I suppose Blackadder Goes Forth was already that. I suppose you could argue that the Blackadder III election episode could have been built upon to form the model of a whole series.

Perhaps. It seems to me like a rather radical change of direction, but I suppose Blackadder Goes Forth was already that. I suppose you could argue that the Blackadder III election episode could have been built upon to form the model of a whole series.

Basically in the ATL above, Yes, Minister and New Statesman never happen for whatever reason, and there's a gap in the market (the socio-economic cultural causes of those shows would still exist) that Blackadder, a very suitable character for politics, slots easily into. I'm not saying it's a utopia that would necessarily produce better Blackadder than OTL, but it was a worthwhile thought experiment.

There are also interviews which suggest the setting for the fifth series (which was considered for a time) was to be the 1960s, based around a band called The Blackadder Five.

With 'Bald Rick', the drummer...

My own idea for an OTL fifth series was 'Blackadder at Checkpoint Five', set in the late 1940s/early 1950s as an early-cold war (but as historically inaccurate as the previous ones, so might include the Cuban Missile Crisis) piece set at a British Army checkpoint, later office, in post-war Berlin.
I like this idea, and people are right, in a world without Yes, Minister, the series after that could easily have seen the courtier of the first three and officer of the next two, become the civil servant. And I can't imagine Sir Edmund and MPs Darling and George doing that horrendous little pile of sh*t sketch Thatcher wrote... :mad:

Television does not work that way.

If you mean you prefer the feel of II and the later series to I, I was originally supposed to be like that, with a clever Blackadder and a stupid Baldrick; there is an unscreened pilot circulating on Youtube to prove it. Executive meddling changed that, and it's easy enough to get rid of that.

That's what I mean. But we still need Tony Robinson as Baldrick for this version of Blackadder I, and Stephen Fry and Miranda Richardson as well.

Thande

Donor
That's what I mean. But we still need Tony Robinson as Baldrick for this version of Blackadder I, and Stephen Fry and Miranda Richardson as well.
I've said this on Brainbin's thread, but I still find it hilarious that this forum is full of people who complain if with a POD in 1945 there's still a Prime Minister Blair in 2000, yet will commit jihad on anyone who dares mess with the lineup of a TV show that would almost certainly be different if the usual butterflies kicked in :p Rather misses the whole point of alternate history...

It's not hard for me to imagine that 'The Blackadder Five' would've involved Baldrick being responsible for Kennedy somehow. And maybe one where they somehow have to fake a moon landing in '69.

You know, someone should do fanscripts for that.