Alternate History Sites of Yesteryear

The late Nineties were a fun time to be in as an alternate historian. Numerous sites took advantage of the burgeoning internet to post their own timelines for anyone to see. Few of these adhere to the standards we have, but they were fun to read if you had an afternoon to kill.

However, these sites proved to ephemeral (many of them were on Geocities, in fact), and gradually disappeared. Most of these you had to find through the Yahoo Directory, which is also gone (Yahoo now simply uses a search engine like Google and Bing). A google search for "alternate history" shows how few websites remain - the first three are this very website, the fourth is the Wikipedia article on the subject, the fifth is the Althistory wikia, six is the AlternateHistoryHub on Youtube, 7 and 8 are the Uchronia website (which only deals with published works), and the final result on the first page is an io9 article.

But, using the magic of the wayback machine, I've decided to compile links to the archived sites that once dominated the genre. Some notes:

1. As mentioned above, these websites do NOT hold up to our standards. The majority of them predate concepts like butterflies, ASB, and even Turtledove's works.
2. Because the majority of these were timelines in the most literal sense, they depended heavily on maps, which by and large are not saved on the Internet archive.
3. I will try to use the most recent version of a website available.

A History of the World, 1500-Present
I'll admit I have a soft spot for this TL as it is literally the first AH I ever read. That said, it's hard to make sense of, since it jumps from 1618 to 1765 with no explanation of what happened in that century and a half.

Alternate History Travel Guides
Hey, remember the AH Travel Guides? They were probably one of the biggest AH sites out there despite their works being solely small vignettes. They may be short and weird, but one can't deny these guys had creativity.

Dale Cozort's Site
Now, Dale Cozort is a member here, so he may have a more up to date website than this capture. Quite a few thought provoking scenarios, in any event.

Doug Hoff's Site
Before AH.com. there was Doug Hoff's site, Althist.com. This was probably the big AH website during the previous two decades before the internet ate it.

John Mullervy's Site
I think this is one of the earliest sites to NOT use Gettysburg as the POD for a CSA wins TL (How Few Remain came out in 1997, the earliest I can find this website is 1998). That said, I found the AH TV listings more entertaining.

Nacho's Site
A few timelines, but I'm mainly wondering if his bookstore still exists.

Stephen Abbott's Website
I think this one surpassed Hoff's in size, and for a while appears to be the big site where the owner isn't the main contributor.

Some other site
Now here's one I don't think went anywhere.

So, if you have any others you want discussed, feel free to bring them up. We need to both appreciate how far the genre's come and what it's lost over the years,

Anyone remember the Radium League website? It had so much potential and had lots of good stuff on a retroverse space program.

changinthetimes.net

not too bad at the start ( it is where i discovered TomB1s Operation Unicorn, which these days is hosted on GreyWolfs site, this timeline started in 2004, and is still updated every 2 weeks).
nowadays changingthetimes is pretty crappy

Anyone remember the Radium League website? It had so much potential and had lots of good stuff on a retroverse space program.

So I went looking for the Radium League, and found it. I remember the website had really good graphics for the time, though of course those didn't survive the archiving (the website itself seems to have fallen victim to the bizarrely common fate of becoming a Chinese person's blog for a few years before disappearing completely). It does show a common problem with older web AH - the POD (in this case, an alternate outcome of the First Great Awakening or something like that) is described in a separate essay and isn't part of the timeline itself, so to an outside observer a Native American nation suddenly takes a good chunk of the Louisiana Purchase in the 1830s with no preamble or buildup.

I (foolishly) used AOL's free web hosting for my AH website, but was able to extract the content and now host it on www.DaleCozort.com. I also have a LiveJournal blog where I still do some AH. The address is in my signature line.

I also host an facebook group for authors to post their latest AH books and edit Point of Divergence APA, which is kind of a combination multi-author AH zine and snail-mail writers group. POD has been around since the 1990s and we're still cranking out four or five issues per year.

I kept up the alternate history newsletters until 2011, when my shift to AH fiction (four novels published, plus two AH-related collections) meant that I didn't have enough AH scenario material for regular newsletters. I've done quite a few AH scenarios since then and am thinking about putting them in a series of themed releases.

Bottom line: I'm still active on the AH scene roughly 20 years later. Holy crap, that's a long time. I'm still finding new ways of looking at AH though, so as long as that's true I'll keep at it.

By the way: Much of the best 1990s online AH was not strictly speaking on the Internet. A lot of the action was on now-vanished services like Compuserve and GEnie. I was on GEnie in the mid-1990s and I've never seen as high-powered a group overall anywhere else online. I felt like an ant among elephants. Harry Turtledove, SM Stirling, Ali Nofi, Steven Barnes and a host of other lesser known but very smart people hung out there.

I grabbed archives of the AH threads before GEnie went under and wish I knew enough copyright law to know if it was safe to put them online somewhere. Stirling mentioned some of the ideas that became ISOT, Conquistador and Sky People there years before the books came out. Turtledove talked about his Civil War umpty-ology there too. Great stuff if you're interested in the history of AH.

A History of the World, 1500-Present
I'll admit I have a soft spot for this TL as it is literally the first AH I ever read. That said, it's hard to make sense of, since it jumps from 1618 to 1765 with no explanation of what happened in that century and a half.

Thanks for digging up that one. I also read it once, but was too lazy to search.

In case anyone wants to know: TTL looks like a patchwork because it pretty much is. A lot of it is taken from the Gurps Alternate Earths books. Japan becoming Christian, conquering China and developing Synarchism? From the Shikaku-Mon TL. Prussia "mopping up" Ukraine? From Reich-5, of course. Guiana War and Austria-Hungary-Yugoslavia? Dixie. Televisor? Gernsback. Songhai empire? Ezcalli, of all TLs.

Thanks for digging up that one. I also read it once, but was too lazy to search.

In case anyone wants to know: TTL looks like a patchwork because it pretty much is. A lot of it is taken from the Gurps Alternate Earths books. Japan becoming Christian, conquering China and developing Synarchism? From the Shikaku-Mon TL. Prussia "mopping up" Ukraine? From Reich-5, of course. Guiana War and Austria-Hungary-Yugoslavia? Dixie. Televisor? Gernsback. Songhai empire? Ezcalli, of all TLs.

That actually explains a lot.

I did find a link to a more "complete" version of the TL at the bottom of the page, which does fill in the missing century and a half.

Gotta love some alternate history nostalgia. Its been years since I read many of these sites, especially the GeoCities ones.

There was also usenet there's newgoup there call Soc.Histotry.what.if that still exists and was fairly active well into the 21st century with archives going back at least 15 years. you can access it at Google Groups.

I suppose I would be remise if I didn't mention one of the biggest conworlds of the Nineties - Ill Bethisad.

Now this world plays fast and loose with AH concepts like the Butterfly Effect (although in 1999 that wasn't anywhere close to the sacrosanct position it holds now). Still, I enjoy creativity more than plausibility, and Ill Bethisad is very creative.

So why am I bringing this up? Well, it got into my head to make a personal mod for CKII based on this world, and so I went to look up the background information. Turns out that while the (barebones) website is still up, the wiki is gone. I don't know if this is a permanent thing or if this is simple maintenance (the web archive's most recent capture is from January of this year), but the efforts of a collaborative project that's lasted for two decades shouldn't be forgotten if it is permanent, so here's the Ill Bethisad wiki for posterity.