Status
Not open for further replies.
Your wish is my command

genusmap.php

1924:
LaFollete 296
Davis 136
Harding 99

The teapot dome scandal causes the still living Harding to lose in a landslide.

Awesome. :cool:

That man would have made a great President.

Nothing fancy- just decided to do a map where Barry Goldwater does a little better in his 1964 bid. He doesn't win, but he wins all states that he lost where he lost by a margin of less than 10%. The reason? I dunno. Perhaps he has a better running mate (Margaret Chase Smith?), or perhaps Johnson's campaign isn't quite so brutal.

Goldwater ends up with 98 electoral votes.

1964 presidential election.png

Similar concept to the last map- Walter Mondale in 1984 doesn't do quite so badly. Again, this is shifting all the states the former Vice President lost by less than 10 points. Still not the brightest chapter in the history of the Democrat Party, but a far cry from the utter embarrassment his historical performance was.

1984 presidential election.png

Using Vultan's formula here is the 1980 election Carter wins all states upto and including 10% and Carter wins.
Carter & Mondale 322
Reagan & Bush 216
genusmap.php

The Dark Days Ahead - Timeline I never got to. (1968 Presidential)

genusmap.php

Governor George Wallace (D-AL) / John Wayne (R-CA) - 270 Electoral *
Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) / Governor Daniel J. Evans (R-WA) - 247 Electoral *
Vice President Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) / Senator George McGovern (D-SD) - 21 Electoral

* A Faithless Republican Elector in Missouri would cast his vote for Wallace/Wayne

Last edited:

JoeMulk

Banned
The Dark Days Ahead - Timeline I never got to.

genusmap.php

Governor George Wallace (D-AL) / John Wayne (R-CA) - 270 Electoral *
Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) / Governor Daniel J. Evans (R-WA) - 247 Electoral *
Vice President Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) / Senator George McGovern (D-SD) - 21 Electoral

* A Faithless Republican Elector in Missouri would cast his vote for Wallace/Wayne

Kind of like a repeat of the 1860 election only this time the Democrat wins.

Kind of like a repeat of the 1860 election only this time the Democrat wins.
LBJ pulls all stops for Rockefeller once McCarthy gains the nomination, which is why the Democrats fair so poorly. The butterflies originate in the 1964 Election where Lurleen Wallace had the cancer removed (though it comes back during Wallace's Presidency), Marv Griffin is still Governor of Georgia, Wallace does better in the primaries, and openly aids Goldwater during the election. I'll post the results of 1964 in a second.

The Dark Days Ahead - Timeline I never got to. (1964 Presidential)

genusmap.php

President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) / Senator Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) - 435 Electoral
Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) / Representative William Miller (R-NY) - 103 Electoral

JoeMulk

Banned
LBJ pulls all stops for Rockefeller once McCarthy gains the nomination, which is why the Democrats fair so poorly. The butterflies originate in the 1964 Election where Lurleen Wallace had the cancer removed (though it comes back during Wallace's Presidency), Marv Griffin is still Governor of Georgia, Wallace does better in the primaries, and openly aids Goldwater during the election. I'll post the results of 1964 in a second.

Sounds like an interesting timeline

The Dark Days Ahead - Timeline I never got to. (1964 Presidential)

genusmap.php

President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) / Senator Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) - 435 Electoral
Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) / Representative William Miller (R-NY) - 103 Electoral

See my earlier map for a bit more accurate representation of how a "more successful" Goldwater in 1964 would do. Indiana, even though to this day it's a GOP stronghold, wasn't really anywhere near close in that election. The close states were mostly out west, with Idaho, Utah, Nebraska, and Kansas being in marginal spitting distance of the Goldwater campaign.

Also, while several other Southern states could possibly be taken by Barry (Virginia and Florida in particular were close-ish), Tennessee wouldn't be one of them. I know it's strange, because out of all of Dixie, Tennessee had one of the strongest Republican undercurrents, particularly in the Eastern half of the state. However, Goldwater blew his chance of winning there by telling a crowd of TVA authorities that, as president, he'd privatize the institution, which did _not_ go over well. (Still, I suppose that little meeting could have been butterflied...)

All in all, though, an interesting scenario I'd like to see more of.

See my earlier map for a bit more accurate representation of how a "more successful" Goldwater in 1964 would do. Indiana, even though to this day it's a GOP stronghold, wasn't really anywhere near close in that election. The close states were mostly out west, with Idaho, Utah, Nebraska, and Kansas being in marginal spitting distance of the Goldwater campaign.

Also, while several other Southern states could possibly be taken by Barry (Virginia and Florida in particular were close-ish), Tennessee wouldn't be one of them. I know it's strange, because out of all of Dixie, Tennessee had one of the strongest Republican undercurrents, particularly in the Eastern half of the state. However, Goldwater blew his chance of winning there by telling a crowd of TVA authorities that, as president, he'd privatize the institution, which did _not_ go over well. (Still, I suppose that little meeting could have been butterflied...)

All in all, though, an interesting scenario I'd like to see more of.
Its largely butterflies that results in that map. Wallace won the Indiana Primary (ITTL) and had a significant amount of pull with Blue-Collar Voters, thus allowing him, by a very narrow margin, to carry the state. However these gains are offset by those it further alienates, which is why he did not pick up anything West and even lost his home state which he won OTL.

Similar concept to the last map- Walter Mondale in 1984 doesn't do quite so badly. Again, this is shifting all the states the former Vice President lost by less than 10 points. Still not the brightest chapter in the history of the Democrat Party, but a far cry from the utter embarrassment his historical performance was.

Considering the tripling of the debt and the scandals of Reagan's presidency, I don't think the embarassment was his as much as ours. Consider his point that we would have to cut spending and or raise taxes to lower the debt..while Reagan promised to "outgrow the debt"...candy rather than vegetables..gee, which did the Americans vote for?

Considering the tripling of the debt and the scandals of Reagan's presidency, I don't think the embarassment was his as much as ours. Consider his point that we would have to cut spending and or raise taxes to lower the debt..while Reagan promised to "outgrow the debt"...candy rather than vegetables..gee, which did the Americans vote for?

As one of my history teachers put it: "Walter Mondale pledged to raise taxes in 1984, thinking the American people would be impressed with his honesty. Sigh.... stupid man."

The Dark Days Ahead - Timeline I never got to. (1964 Presidential - Original Draft)

genusmap.php

President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) / Senator Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) - 460 Electoral
Governor George Wallace (D-AL) / Governor Ross Barnett (D-MS) - 47 Electoral
Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge (R-MA) / Senator Magaret Chase (R-ME) - 31 Electoral

This was the original draft of the '64 Presidential Election. It was dropped because I later figured I would need Nelson Rockefeller to be the nominee, and I couldn't do this with the Moderate Wing crippled from defeat in '64; that would only strengthen Goldwater or Reagan.

1968: RFK lives
genusmap.php

Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY) / Terry Sanford (D-NC) - 314 EV
Richard Nixon (R-NY) / Ronald Reagan (R-CA) - 153 EV
George Wallace (AI-AL) / Curtis LeMay (AI-CA) - 71 EV

Just something random I did in a 1868 Election where the Confederacy wins its independence after a more bloodier war for the Union.

The Dem's do better, the Republicans do worse with two Republicans running against each other causing a split(green is the other), and a third party based on Re-Union Efforts who takes Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New York

Pretty random truly.

Who exactly runs..

Lets say:

George B. McClellan - Democratic Party 85
Ulysses S. Grant - Union Party 83
John C. Fremont - Radical Republicans 49
Andrew Johnson - Republicans 16

genusmap.php

The Election from Hell (1988)

genusmap.php

Reverend Jesse Jackson (D-SC) / Representative Ron Dellums (D-CA) - 181 Electoral
Televangelist Pat Robertson (R-VA) / Representative Bob Dornan (R-CA) - 179 Electoral
Senator John Chaffee (R-RI) / Senator Sam Nunn (D-GA) - 177 Electoral

The Election would be further complicated with the death of Senator John Chaffee on the 28th of December in 1988.

Thande

Donor
Nothing fancy- just decided to do a map where Barry Goldwater does a little better in his 1964 bid. He doesn't win, but he wins all states that he lost where he lost by a margin of less than 10%. The reason? I dunno. Perhaps he has a better running mate (Margaret Chase Smith?), or perhaps Johnson's campaign isn't quite so brutal.

Goldwater ends up with 98 electoral votes.

I thought this was an interesting idea, so I decided to do it myself with another of the USA's most lopsided elections, 1972. I gave McGovern all the states Nixon won by a margin of 10% or less, like you did. I expected McGovern to maybe reach triple figures at best.

The result was really unexpected, and I swear I did not do this on purpose... :eek:

McGovern.png

Thande

Donor
By contrast 1936 is still a strong victory for FDR even if you give Landon all the states FDR won by a margin of 10% or less.

Landon.png

Thande

Donor
1992 if you give Perot all the states where in OTL he got at least 25% of the popular vote. Clinton still wins easily.

Perot.png

Status
Not open for further replies.