aircraft that should have been built

Status
Not open for further replies.
A-6F: what the Navy should've gotten instead of the A-12. Why SECDEF Cheney didn't restart the program after the A-12 got the ax is something to wonder about.

Cheney is a jackass. He shitcan the attack verison of the F-14. Now the Navy onl has the F-18 for everyrole under the sun. Something it wasn't design for. And no aircraft can do.

F-20 comes to mind. It would been a good export fighter. Ins't of given unstable countries shit like the F-14 and 16s.

Also what was to replace the EF-111 Raven? The USAF dosen't have its own electronic warfare planes.

Not sure on the EF-111 replacement, but the expeditionary EW squadrons, which are manned by joint USAF/USN crews, have EA-6Bs. And yes, the AF pilots in these squadrons became carrier-qualified. An upgrade to the EF-111 with new engines, EW systems, and HARM missile capability might have gone ahead if there'd been no 1990s drawdown.

F-107 UltraSabre: it's been said that this is the best fighter the USAF never bought. Unfortunately, the F-4 and F-105 were coming down the pipe.

Tornado Wild Weasel: The USAF was seriously considering the Tornado as an F-4G replacement. A planned competition in 1990 would've pitted the Tornado against WW versions of the F-15E and F-16D. Rockwell International had the license from Panavia for U.S. production, and assembly would've taken place at their Palmdale plant (same one where the B-1 was built). The flyoff was never held, and the F-16C "Weasel Viper" has the Wild Weasel mission.

Not sure on the EF-111 replacement, but the expeditionary EW squadrons, which are manned by joint USAF/USN crews, have EA-6Bs. And yes, the AF pilots in these squadrons became carrier-qualified. An upgrade to the EF-111 with new engines, EW systems, and HARM missile capability might have gone ahead if there'd been no 1990s drawdown.

The F-111 shouldn't have been retired if you ask me. For strike purposes, the thing is fantastically good - very fast, great for maneuverability, very long legs and tough as nails. If it was me making the decisions for the USAF, I'd order a version of the aircraft be returned to service, using high-end engines and electronics and some updates to the airframe and aerodynamics. The EF-111 would have been the same, but with the ability to use HARM missiles worked in and Sidewinders for self-defense.

Tornado Wild Weasel: The USAF was seriously considering the Tornado as an F-4G replacement. A planned competition in 1990 would've pitted the Tornado against WW versions of the F-15E and F-16D. Rockwell International had the license from Panavia for U.S. production, and assembly would've taken place at their Palmdale plant (same one where the B-1 was built). The flyoff was never held, and the F-16C "Weasel Viper" has the Wild Weasel mission.

The Tornado in USAF service? Seriously? :eek: I'm amazed at that one. It makes perfect sense, mind you, but I have a hard time believing that a European strike aircraft would be adopted by the United States Air Force. The Rockell / Panavia F-24 Tornado? Interesting, indeed.

Aside from the obvious ones (CF-105 Arrow, P.1154, TSR-2), I would agree with the North American XB-70, McDonnell Douglas AV-16, Grumman A-6F, Fairchild-Republic YA-10B, Martin P6M and the Vickers V.1000. (Funny how NONE of those companies are still in the business. Boeing and Lockheed having better lobbyists, perhaps?) The XB-70 would probably have meant no B-1, and I love the Bone, so its hard for me to say that - but the Valkyrie could also have other uses. I'm thinking specifically of what the Russians built the Backfire and later versions of the Badger for, missile carriers for ocean defense. The AV-16, A-6F and A-10B are obvious choices - the AV-16 would be an even better close-air support airplane than it is now, ditto for the A-10B. The A-6F is obvious because the reliance on the Hornet and its derivatives is going to one day blow up in the faces of the USN.

The P6M is in this for the usefulness. Use it as a killer of merchies, and if you fit it with a sonar you could easily enough use it as a submarine hunter a la the P-3 Orion. Land on the surface or drop Sonobuoys to listen in, if you find something, track it down and kill it. The fact that the Seamaster could go 1100 kilometres an hour on the deck is incredible by any standard and difficult for many modern planes to touch, half a century later. Another aircraft that if built may well still be with us today.

The V-1000 was a massive politics fuckup by Great Britain, even compared to a period where they screwed up so many times it was incredible. Effectively, between that and the problems with the de Havilland Comet, Britain could have ushered in the jet age years ahead of the Americans, and forced McDonnell Douglas and Boeing to scramble to make the DC-8 and 707 work better to beat the British. Oops. The VC10 ultimately made it into the air, but hardly sold in any numbers, because it was years late and got sabotaged from inside.

The Varks were just getting old, anyway. And the pre-1991 plan to replace all of them with F-15Es was just too expensive in the days of the "peace dividend."

Rockwell International was serious enough to get the license. And California's Senators and Congresscritters were lining up to support it. Especially with the B-1 program having wound down, a lot of Rockwell workers would've been back on the job if the Tornado had won.

The P6M was designed for sea-based strike missions, not ASW. A major rework of the aircraft was necessary for the latter role.

Another "should have": NATF (Navy Advanced Tactical Fighter). Essentially a navalized F-22 or F-23, depending on the outcome of the ATF competition. Not funded after 1991.

Mann: check your PMs: there's one on the way for you.

Last edited:
From a different era, the Sopwith Dragon. It was a very promising design in 1918. There very little chance that it could have seen service in the first world war. However with a 150 mph top speed and a service ceiling of 25,000 feet it was a world beater when it first flew. The trouble is that the Dragonfly 1A radial engine built by the ABC Motors never lived up to its initial promise and proved too unreliable, its defects were never solved.

300px-Sdra.jpg

The V-1000 was a massive politics fuckup by Great Britain, even compared to a period where they screwed up so many times it was incredible. Effectively, between that and the problems with the de Havilland Comet, Britain could have ushered in the jet age years ahead of the Americans, and forced McDonnell Douglas and Boeing to scramble to make the DC-8 and 707 work better to beat the British. Oops. The VC10 ultimately made it into the air, but hardly sold in any numbers, because it was years late and got sabotaged from inside.

I feel like crying anytime I read about the V-1000 :( BOAC gets the blame for it's demise but in their defence they'd had their fingers badly burnt with the Comet and the Brittania and were probably fed up with being used as a guinea pig by the Air Ministry. So when the stories started about the Conway not meeting it's targets during the bench tests they seemed to go "FFS here we go again!" The irony is of course that they subsequently wanted the Conway for it's 707's when it proved what a good engine is was! Had the V-1000 gone into service then the VC-10 probably wouldn't have been the same aircraft as IOTL, perhaps a larger V-1000 with nacelle mounted engines. In hindsight that was the correct way to go, for all the aerodynamic advantages of a clean wing, nacelles mean new engines can be added without having to rebuild the entire wing.

To get the V-1000 into service you probably need the Comet to fail it's pressurisation tests meaning a redesign and avoiding the disasters off the coast of Italy. BOAC dont become wary of British aircraft and the Comet would have sold much better, it was never going to be big enough to fight the 707 or DC-8 but the V-1000 would have.

Matt Wiser:Why no F-107?I've seen the aircraft and it looks fantastic.Believe it was a two seater and a fighter bomber.Had a real wild air scope over the cabin.Was it cancelled because of the F105?

Matt Wiser:Why no F-107?I've seen the aircraft and it looks fantastic.Believe it was a two seater and a fighter bomber.Had a real wild air scope over the cabin.Was it cancelled because of the F105?

The F107 was meant for export, and the europeans bought the F104G, killing it. It had a serious rear visibility issue with the intakes above and behind the cockpit...

In my opinion the sale of the century should have gone to a land based, multirole evolution of the F8E, that could have turned into a 60s F16.

I'm surprised with the lack of interest for russian Aircraft in this thread. Nobody longing for a production MiG 1.44?

good looking russians

MiG's most beautiful product. Shame they axed it. Could have at least sold the blueprints to the Chinese...

MiG1.44.jpg

Alternative MiG21pilot manual

If you see a F107A doing a low altitud attack run just aproacch from behind and above it until you're so close not even an AA2 will miss it. The Amrican will never see you coming camerade!

800px-North_American_F-107A.jpg

The intake . . . yikes! Does the ejection seat fire up or down?

Down in an attack plane will kill you (since you'll probably be flying low when the AA gets you)
Up and you find out why they called this plane the manheater.
It looks like they needed someone to invent a sideways ejector seat for this one to work :)

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

... would agree with the North American XB-70, McDonnell Douglas AV-16, Grumman A-6F, Fairchild-Republic YA-10B, Martin P6M and the Vickers V.1000. (Funny how NONE of those companies are still in the business. Boeing and Lockheed having better lobbyists, perhaps?) ...

Grumman is still very much in business, although it was purchased/absorbed by Northrop (which is a Fortune 100 company). It just doesn't build anything named xxxxCat.

McDonnell-Douglas & North American were both bought by Boeing, Martin by purchased by Lockheed; it seems that Boeing and Lockheed had better accountants, not lobbyists.

The F-107 lost to the F-105. Scott Crossfield damaged #3 in an aborted takeoff. A/C #1 is at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tuscon, AZ (I've seen it, and no, I'm not sure I would've wanted to fly it with that intake right above and behind the cockpit). Number two is at the USAF Museum.

The Horten H IX, also called Ho 229
Role Fighter/Bomber
Manufacturer Gothaer Waggonfabrik
Designed by Horten brothers
First flight 1 March 1944
Number built 3

Horten_Ho_IX_line_drawing.svg

Deleted member 1487

The Horten H IX, also called Ho 229
Role Fighter/Bomber
Manufacturer Gothaer Waggonfabrik
Designed by Horten brothers
First flight 1 March 1944
Number built 3

Horten_Ho_IX_line_drawing.svg

I thought that aircraft has sever stability issues and wobbled uncontrollably in flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.