AHC: Kill Reality Television

Yeah, but isn't that going to mean that you'll just end up with hundreds of tired knock offs? Thereby diluting the uniqueness offered by Mythbusters?

What was the name of that bre'esh show now... Brainiac!

If someone does something right it doesn't mean everyone else will, even if another format becomes more popular, they'd probably still follow Sturgeons law.

Flubber

Banned
They're the only BBC reality TV shows there and they're all from a channel in the UK called BBC3 which is aimed at the student/young adult/teen market. It does however also produce gems such as Being Human, Torchwood, and Gavin & Stacey.

The point is that a network's funding source has no bearing on the "quality" of shows it green lights. As you note, the BBC's entries in the reality TV genre are aimed at a particular demographic. It the audience which ultimately determines what gets shown, not the network.

Several suggestions have mentioned a scandal or other catastrophe being linked to an early reality show. That's a rather good idea which has a historical precedent. A series of scandals involving fixed game shows in the late 1950s essentially kept that genre off US airwaves for years.

I keep thinking if Honey Boo Boo dies of a heart attack or Snooki kills her child it might kill modern day reality television... after those two, I can't see how we can sink much lower.

I keep thinking if Honey Boo Boo dies of a heart attack or Snooki kills her child it might kill modern day reality television... after those two, I can't see how we can sink much lower.

Is there any real chance of the former happening? That South Park episode has her getting a heart transplant, and her mother gives her a mix of Red Bull and Mountain Dew, but I didn't think her diet would be so extremely bad.

That being said, I of course wouldn't wish it on her. The cast of that show don't seem like bad people, from what little I've seen.

The point is that a network's funding source has no bearing on the "quality" of shows it green lights. As you note, the BBC's entries in the reality TV genre are aimed at a particular demographic. It the audience which ultimately determines what gets shown, not the network.

Several suggestions have mentioned a scandal or other catastrophe being linked to an early reality show. That's a rather good idea which has a historical precedent. A series of scandals involving fixed game shows in the late 1950s essentially kept that genre off US airwaves for years.

In the UK, I'd disagree for example as this shows, most of the greatest British television programmes have been BBC not ITV (the major commercial rival).

Concerning reality TV though, yeah it's really no different whatever type of funding model. Perhaps Big Brother being fixed to keep certain people in? This spreads to other programmes like the X Factor/Idol or whatever.

Yeah, but isn't that going to mean that you'll just end up with hundreds of tired knock offs? Thereby diluting the uniqueness offered by Mythbusters?

Potentially, but not necessarily. Mythbusters will remain unique because its first, but instead of crappy American Idol and Jersey Shore knock offs, and outright strange or creepy shows like Whisker Wars (yes its a real show) or Toddlers and Tiaras, the networks will be trying to mimic a show that's fun, funny, informative and actually entertaining. My point is that you are going to end up with knock-offs anyway, so why not create a POD that challenges networks to copy a formula that requires them to put some meat on the bone, so to speak, instead of endless shows about three year olds dressed like Lady Gaga, gator westling rednecks and shallow, bitchy women fighting with each other.

Last edited:
Screw cable? The fewer channels there are the cheapness of reality shows to produce matters since air time becomes more of a premium.

Also look into other ways to get cheap shows. Have a tad for some kind of import shows that can be bought cheaply?

Wait for someone to cross the line. You see, reality TV is relying more and more on "acceptable targets". Jersey Shore is rich hedonistic Italian twenty-somethings (or guidos as they commonly are called). Honey Boo Boo is proud southerners. My Strange Addiction is people with strange addictions.

You need someone to make a show about a bunch of black people acting like stereotypical gangstas or Hispanics living in a shitty southwestern apartment and drinking too much tequila.

Hoist40

Banned
How about a major cheating scandal like what hurt the game shows of the 1950's? It did not kill them, but it really cut back on their popularity.

While few believe that reality shows are real, but a big expose that they are totally scripted might set them back a lot.

High value shows like "Big Brother", "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", "Sun, Sex, and Suspicious Parents", "Don't Tell The Bride", "Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands", "Dancing With The Stars", "What Not To Wear", "Life Laundry", "The Weakest Link", and the dozens of others several of which featured the late Jade Goody who makes Snooki look like a freakin' Rhodes Scholar.

OTOH, a network like AMC TV which relies primarily on advertizing can only produce shit like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", "The Walking Dead", and the US version of "The Killing".

"Reality" TV is cheap and TV networks regardless of their funding mechanisms like cheap.

Big Brother is not a BBC production, nor is it commissioned by the BBC , it began life on Channel4 and moved to Five when C4 decided it was too trashy. ( made by an indepedent production company IIRC)

'Who wants to be a millionaire' - again never been anywhere near the BBC, shown on ITV - all in all a fairly standard General knowledge quiz show with the gimmicks of ask the audience and phone a friend ... the only reason the million GBP prize is an issue is because the BBC can;t have prizes that large and for a long while the IBA restricted the value of prizes on UK independent television ( hence the speed boats, caravans and Austin metros as prizes on Bullseye - and they were pushing the upper limit for prize funds at the time )

'Dancing with the Stars' is not a UK series - 'Strictly Come Dancing' however is ... and as Saturday tea time light entertainment ... why not .

'What not to wear' - a progamme that has been dead for 5 years ...

'Sun ,Sex and Suspicious parents' - hands up for the BBC on that but it is a BBC3 commissioned production

'Don't tell the bride' - again fairly harmless fare - and BBC3

'the weakest link' fairly standard quiz show format with the gimmick of voting off ' the weakest link' instead of eliminating a player on the basis of some other arbitrary performance factor

Junior Doctors, i'm not quite sure what your objection to a serialised not quite a strict documentary is ...

and Jade Goody and the Beeb, not quite given She was 'discovered ' on big brother ...

How about a major cheating scandal like what hurt the game shows of the 1950's? It did not kill them, but it really cut back on their popularity.

While few believe that reality shows are real, but a big expose that they are totally scripted might set them back a lot.
I think this idea has promise, if someone were to air footage of so called reality scenes being rehearsed over and over again maybe that would be enough to lower the ratings to the point were the sponsers move on to the next fad.

Simple, have less innovation in TV. When someone puts the idea forward, the grey bureaucrats say 'it won't catch on' and kill it dead.

So, I'm guessing world-wide radical totalitarianism/stuffy traditionalism should do it.

Big Brother is not a BBC production, nor is it commissioned by the BBC , it began life on Channel4 and moved to Five when C4 decided it was too trashy. ( made by an indepedent production company IIRC)

'Who wants to be a millionaire' - again never been anywhere near the BBC, shown on ITV - all in all a fairly standard General knowledge quiz show with the gimmicks of ask the audience and phone a friend ... the only reason the million GBP prize is an issue is because the BBC can;t have prizes that large and for a long while the IBA restricted the value of prizes on UK independent television ( hence the speed boats, caravans and Austin metros as prizes on Bullseye - and they were pushing the upper limit for prize funds at the time )

'Dancing with the Stars' is not a UK series - 'Strictly Come Dancing' however is ... and as Saturday tea time light entertainment ... why not .

'What not to wear' - a progamme that has been dead for 5 years ...

'Sun ,Sex and Suspicious parents' - hands up for the BBC on that but it is a BBC3 commissioned production

'Don't tell the bride' - again fairly harmless fare - and BBC3

'the weakest link' fairly standard quiz show format with the gimmick of voting off ' the weakest link' instead of eliminating a player on the basis of some other arbitrary performance factor

Junior Doctors, i'm not quite sure what your objection to a serialised not quite a strict documentary is ...

and Jade Goody and the Beeb, not quite given She was 'discovered ' on big brother ...

Sometimes it seems that people do not realise that we do have tv here that is not BBC.

I m going to reak rnks and defend aspects of reality tv. Not all of it is asinine crap.... just most of it.

Here is an example of British reality tv - the UP series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Series

Up started in 1964 with a programme Seven Up which featured fourteen children from various socioeconomic backgrounds. There have been follow up programmes every seven years as the children grow up snd make their way through life. 56 Up was shown earlier this year. Only one of the 14 refuses to participate any further. All of them are still alive.

Reality tv need not be crap. The Up series in not a BBC venture but is made by ITV

Sometimes it seems that people do not realise that we do have tv here that is not BBC.

indeed it has to be wondered given the examples from ITV, Five, and Sky which are purely commercial and from C4 which while a statutory corporation is commercially funded.

it's also quite apparent that people are ignorant of some of the other stuff the Beeb does, in addition to the 4 main TV channels, News 24 and the various other bits and pieces of telly like BBC parliament

- 2 dedicated children's channels CBBC channel and Cbeebies

- 9 National Radio channels, R1, R1x, R2, R3, R4, R5, R5SX, 6music and R7

- BBC Asian network and Welsh and Gaelic radio +TV

- local news

- local radio

- the none FO funded bits of the World Service ( and maintaining R4 long wave to provide English radio to the near continent)