AHC: Crimson Skies- The African Version

For those if you not familier with the Crimson Skies series it takes place in an America were a different handeling of alcohol prohibition, an influenza outbrake, and a state-by-state regionalist movment leads to a Balkanized USA. After the balkanization railroad lines and roads are sabatoged to secure hostile boarders which leads to aircraft becomeing popular and this gives rise to air pirates existing accross America and eventually the world.

In this thread create a TL in which a similar situation happens to the countries and colonies of Africa. This while require either industralization in countries to build aircraft, or countries securing resources used to purchase aircraft. As well some form of conflict will have to rise in order to create the Balkanization movement and encourage boarder crossing ciminal activities. I will allow pre-1900 PODs.

Hmmm, this is a fun one. And I suppose it's appropriate that my first post on AH.com should be related to the game which first got me into alternate history! Anyway...

Perhaps if you have one major colonial power that manages to take over a large portion of Africa, perhaps everything between the Sahara and Kalahari. I'd assume the POD required for this would be in the late 19th century. This colonial power then has a vested interest in industrialising the area and improving living standards - perhaps an extra-liberal and extra-powerful Britain or France? Between the wars (if they occur as OTL) then this area becomes a hub for aircraft production, creating the industry and skill needed. They could also flirt with airship production as a luxury (if you want to increase the parallels with Crimson Skies). After the war a combination of an earlier AIDs outbreak, existing ethnic tensions, and decolonialism leads to the breakdown of this central African colonial base into a balkanised and violent situation, except this time it has the existing infrastructure and industry to construct aircraft and airships.

I suppose the end result of all this would be to make Somalian piracy rather more... awesome, I guess.