AH World Cup

As for the next World Cup, the Women's World Cup is in June next year, which could be fun. On the other hand, if we wanted to make this a recurring thing, we could set up an Alternate MLS or other soccer league.

Penelope

Banned
As for the next World Cup, the Women's World Cup is in June next year, which could be fun. On the other hand, if we wanted to make this a recurring thing, we could set up an Alternate MLS or other soccer league.

I support this notion.

Two main issues about continuing (which I think there is interest in doing so):

1. Whether to continue in this universe or not.
2. When to hold it.

For the Universe:
Continue with this one:

We already have back story, histories, rivals, teams, a world map. All we would do would be to pick teams mentioned/on the map and replace some of the weaker ones with them. e.g. Manchuria (mentioned in Skippy's summery as being in the 2006 competition) could qualify instead of, say, the FNP, or Tibet. If we were being relay serious we could make teams for all the nations on the map and hold regional qualifications, even regional tournaments (Asia 2011, Euro 2012).

Make a new one:

Part of the fun of this was the original creation of the teams. Go back to the first few pages, people said things like Byzantium, Texas, Communist France, Communist Scotland (!) and we fit the back story around them. However we would literally start all over again. And who don't want to see if Bavaria can hold onto their title next time?

For when to hold it:
There would be such a long gap between tournaments. Will we really wait 4 more years? I doubt it. If we have four confederations in this world (AMEA -Africa, the Middle East and Antarctica, Americas, Asia-Pacific and Europe) we could have, say, Asia-Pacific in 2011, Euro 2012, AMEA and Americas in 2013 and World Cup in 2014? If we had qualifiers that could be longer, but it is really long term planning.

On the other hand if we want to make it one continuous thing we could have, say, a "World Cup" every summer. This ran from mid May to late August.
However
a) Either that would contradict the background we already have, if we have World Cup 2011, World Cup 2012 etc. (void if we create a new universe for each tournament). The other option would be to have World Cup 2014 in 2011, 2018 in 2012 etc...
b) Part of the fun was it also running in parallel to the real World Cup in South Africa. I doubt it would have been that successful if it was not at that time.

If we were really interested we could set up alternate Country divisions etc using the same formula.

The main thing I am worried about is how quickly it would become stale. As I said part of the fun was creating our own teams, although I didn’t I probably would if we do it again. (My idea – a Newfoundland team within the UK, on the same level as England, Scotland etc... DON’T STEAL IT;))

Basically if we want to expand it we would have to do allot of thinking. The easiest thing would be to abandon this thread and start a new AH Asian Cup 2011 next year. Start from scratch, create 16 new Asian teams and run it in parallel with the real competition. If any of us are still here in 2014 we will basically start from scratch again. Personally though I think we have a nice little Universe here. Still, I will wait and see.

Two main issues about continuing (which I think there is interest in doing so):

1. Whether to continue in this universe or not.
2. When to hold it.

For the Universe:
Continue with this one:
We already have back story, histories, rivals, teams, a world map. All we would do would be to pick teams mentioned/on the map and replace some of the weaker ones with them. e.g. Manchuria (mentioned in Skippy's summery as being in the 2006 competition) could qualify instead of, say, the FNP, or Tibet. If we were being relay serious we could make teams for all the nations on the map and hold regional qualifications, even regional tournaments (Asia 2011, Euro 2012).

Make a new one:
Part of the fun of this was the original creation of the teams. Go back to the first few pages, people said things like Byzantium, Texas, Communist France, Communist Scotland (!) and we fit the back story around them. However we would literally start all over again. And who don't want to see if Bavaria can hold onto their title next time?

For when to hold it:
There would be such a long gap between tournaments. Will we really wait 4 more years? I doubt it. If we have four confederations in this world (AMEA -Africa, the Middle East and Antarctica, Americas, Asia-Pacific and Europe) we could have, say, Asia-Pacific in 2011, Euro 2012, AMEA and Americas in 2013 and World Cup in 2014? If we had qualifiers that could be longer, but it is really long term planning.

On the other hand if we want to make it one continuous thing we could have, say, a "World Cup" every summer. This ran from mid May to late August.
However
a) Either that would contradict the background we already have, if we have World Cup 2011, World Cup 2012 etc. (void if we create a new universe for each tournament). The other option would be to have World Cup 2014 in 2011, 2018 in 2012 etc...
b) Part of the fun was it also running in parallel to the real World Cup in South Africa. I doubt it would have been that successful if it was not at that time.

If we were really interested we could set up alternate Country divisions etc using the same formula.

The main thing I am worried about is how quickly it would become stale. As I said part of the fun was creating our own teams, although I didn’t I probably would if we do it again. (My idea – a Newfoundland team within the UK, on the same level as England, Scotland etc... DON’T STEAL IT;))

Basically if we want to expand it we would have to do allot of thinking. The easiest thing would be to abandon this thread and start a new AH Asian Cup 2011 next year. Start from scratch, create 16 new Asian teams and run it in parallel with the real competition. If any of us are still here in 2014 we will basically start from scratch again. Personally though I think we have a nice little Universe here. Still, I will wait and see.
Who says it has to be every 4 years? THIS IS ALTERNATE HISTORY!!!

Wow, "my" Bavaria wins the world cup! So it wasn't a bad idea at all, to take OTL footballers :p. Kudos to Martin for this great tournament (And for the superb BFB-logo ;)).

As for a sequel, I'd suggest an ATL UEFA Champions League, as OTLs Champions League season has just begun.