AH Vignette: The Reich of Erwin Rommel

Here's a vignette I wrote recently, inspired by the novel Himmler's War by Robert Conroy (though rather different). This is my first vignette, so constructive feedback is welcome. Hope you all enjoy. :)

The Reich of Erwin Rommel

The Desert Fox was a loyal German. A man of Deutschland. He had served his country in war twice and supported the its saviour, Reichsfuhrer Hitler. He had idolised the great man, served him loyally in Africa. But now his idol and master was dead.

He had fought back tears when he had read the news. The telegram had described how Hitler and his staff had succumbed to injuries inflicted by the traitorous troops of Generalmajor von Tresckow in Smolensk. He would have to pay.

He had killed Deutschland’s hero.

The man who held the nation together.

The great man that had lifted Deutschland of its knees.

The legend who had lead them to victory over France.

Rommel felt weak at the knees and stumbled to his desk before slumping in his chair. He could take it no longer and began to weep. But even as he did, he found himself imagining what he would do as Fuhrer of Deutschland. The Allies could not find out, the Army would have to take control. Deutschland would need to fight the war without hate, no more killing of the Jews, all Deutschland’s resources must be focussed on fighting instead of on Hitler’s personal projects. The man was a legend but even legends have their faults and his obsession with the Jews was Hitler’s. Bormann would have to go. Speer, well maybe he could still aid the Reich. Donitz would have to be reassigned, the Kreigsmarine was no more than a defunct organisation. The war effort would have to be re-arranged. The more he thought the more Rommel realised was wrong with Hitler’s war effort. The legend was not as flawless as it seemed, but no-one could know that.

The myth of Hitler the great, Hitler the triumphant, Hitler the brilliant, the saviour and leader would have remain in the hearts and minds of the German people. A state funeral, the like of which none had ever seen, would have to be Hitler’s final farewell. The German populace would have to remember Hitler as the man Goebbels claimed him to be. No cracks in the façade could be allowed. He would have to keep Goebbels working overtime.

Then he heard the click of heels and a voice say, “Generalfeldmarschall, Herr Speer wishes to see you.”

Rommel looked up sharply to see his secretary standing before him in mid-salute.

“What does he want?” He asked, knowing full well that Speer’s visit could mean only one thing.

“He wishes to discuss the position of Fuhrer.” His secretary replied a flash of confusion flashing across his expressionless face.

“Very well, send him in.”

The secretary backed out the door and seconds later Albert Speer, ‘Architect of the Third Reich’, walked in.

Generalfeldmarschall Rommel, thank you for your time,” He said. “No doubt you are aware of the tragic news, I am sure you are greatly saddened but we have important matters to discuss.”

Rommel nodded assent and replied. “I have just read of the tragedy that von Tresckow has inflicted on the Reich. I assume you refer to the newly, and tragically, vacated position?”

“Perceptive as ever Erwin, you are very much correct,” Speer replied. “I, and others in the Reichkanzlei, believe that you are the right choice to succeed Hitler.”

Rommel started, surely those words couldn’t have come out of the mouth of Speer of all people. “May I ask why?”

“Because we believe that Hitler’s death was engineered by, not only, von Tresckow but by much of the Heer in Eastern Europe and you are the national hero, dare I say, figurehead that the Reich needs to stay united.”

“But surely Heer Bormann or yourself would be more appropriate. After all, Bormann is, I mean was, Hitler’s secretary…”

Speer cut him off, “But you forget that Bormann is despised by many in the Reichkanzlei and army. As for I, I am but a simple architect. I am no lead nor figurehead and the Reich needs both.”

Rommel sighed, he did not wish to be Fuhrer but Speer seemed to be insistent. “What about my fellow Generalfeldmarschall, von Rundstedt, or Großadmiral Donitz?”

“They are not suitable either. von Rundstedt is a soldier not a politician and definitely not a figurehead and Donitz will be needed to command, what’s left of, the Kreigsmarine.” Replied Speer, beginning to look impatient.

Rommel sighed again, heavier this time. After a pause, he said “With God’s help I will do what is best for Deutschland and the Reich.”

Speer rose and saluted him. “A wise decision Mein Reichspräsident.” He span on his heel and left.

Seconds later, Rommel’s secretary entered the office once more and saluted.

Heil mein Reichspräsident.” He said. “Congratulations Sir and good luck.”

Rommel realised that this would be his life from now until his death, men would do his bidding, men would salute whenever and wherever he entered a room, men would be lining up asking for favours and by the grace of God he may lead Deutschland to victory.

Hitler had made the Reich and Rommel, a simple man and solider, now found himself as its new leader.

Last edited:

Deleted member 94680

I like it. Always had a soft spot for the ol' Desert Fox.

So the March '43 'cognac bomb on the plane' attempt works and Hitler dies?

Was Rommel the top man in the military in March '43? He's only just returned to Germany in the aftermath of (what will turn out to be) losing the North Africa campaign, so would he be the automatic choice?

I can't see the Nazi apparatus not producing a Fuhrer candidate - or is this TL leading in the direction of a German Civil War? Seems Speer is going against the Party to approach Rommel?

I like it. Always had a soft spot for the ol' Desert Fox.

So the March '43 'cognac bomb on the plane' attempt works and Hitler dies?

Was Rommel the top man in the military in March '43? He's only just returned to Germany in the aftermath of (what will turn out to be) losing the North Africa campaign, so would he be the automatic choice?

I can't see the Nazi apparatus not producing a Fuhrer candidate - or is this TL leading in the direction of a German Civil War? Seems Speer is going against the Party to approach Rommel?
Thanks. :)

Nope, it was this attempt:
It came on 13 March 1943, when Hitler finally visited troops on the Eastern Front at Smolensk after a few cancellations and postponements. Under the initial plan, a group of officers were to shoot Hitler collectively at a signal in the officers' mess during lunch but Kluge, Commander of Army Group Center, who had been informed about the plot, urged Tresckow not to carry it out saying, "For heaven's sake, don't do anything today! It's still too soon for that!"[22] He argued that the German army and people were not ready to accept the coup and would not understand such an act. He also feared a civil war between the Army and SS, since Heinrich Himmler had canceled his visit and could not be killed at the same time.[23]
ITTL Himmler came with Hitler and so the plan went ahead as Tresckow had hoped.

His is Speer's choice and he's doing this with official Party support, we could see a German Civil War.
Rommel becomes the next President, the Fuhrer title being reserved for Herr Hitler only.
OK, will change that. Thanks.

The Fox on the Rhine?
Do you mean the book?

Kind of reminds me of a short story from one of Peter Tsouras books, Third Reich Victorious. The story was called Rommel versus Zhukov.

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rommel think Hitler was kind've a shithead? Because I have a hard time believing he'd be devastated by his death.

Always like a story that has the Fox in it.
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rommel think Hitler was kind've a shithead? Because I have a hard time believing he'd be devastated by his death.
Whilst I may be wrong, I was under the impression that Rommel was an admirer of Hitler, but not Nazism:
Throughout the 1930s, Rommel develops a close working relationship with Hitler, whom he initially comes to admire for progressively thwarting the Versailles Treaty and restoring Germany's strength. He is seen more and more by Hitler side. He accompanies Hitler into the Sudetenland in October 1938 and then into Prague in March 1939. But Rommel is anything but a Nazi. In fact, early on he starts to harbor "serious reservations" about the Nazi regime. (Blumenson, 297).

Even if he wasn't, he'd at least have to pretend to be if he wanted to rise to the top.
Given that most of this vignette is about Rommel's sadness at Hitler's death, I see his point.
But here's another source for him being an admirer of Hitler (but NOT Nazism.)
He was an early admirer of Hitler.
Following World War II, the Western Allies, now locked in an ideological struggle with the Soviet Union, made efforts to resuscitate Germany’s reputation. In so doing, they portrayed Rommel as a chivalrous combatant, pointing out, among other things, that he apparently never joined the Nazi Party. Yet his devotion to Hitler was incontrovertible. When Hitler took power, Rommel approved of his remilitarization plans, calling him the “unifier of the nation.” Later on, as the two men became better acquainted in the lead-up to the invasion of Poland, Rommel wrote to his wife that “the führer knows what is right for us.” He also attended Nazi indoctrination courses and signed his letters “Heil Hitler!” Hitler even gave him an autographed copy of “Mein Kampf.” Only later did Rommel grow disillusioned, believing that Germany must negotiate with the Allies rather than fight to the bitter end.

Whilst I may be wrong, I was under the impression that Rommel was an admirer of Hitler, but not Nazism:

Certainly in the 30s to at least 40 as Hitler came to Rommel personally for military advice when he wasn't even a general. He viewed the Nazi Party as 'brigands' and 'scalawags' in his words in the 30s.

By early 43 though and almost certainly earlier he knew he was seriously screwing up by getting Germany in war with the US and USSR at the same time he was fighting the British Empire and her Commonwealth.

What did he know about how the Nazis were comporting themselves in Eastern Europe as of early 43? Very little from what I have seen.

Last edited:
Very interesting start...

TOC
AnkhVonHapsburg..AH..CH_00a - The Reich of Erwin Rommel

AnkhVonHapsburg..AH..CH_01a - Rommel&Speer, Mein ReichsPrasident

xxXxx
I may be ignorant, but can someone explain this to me? Surely, you're not talking about Turtledoves?
Certainly in the 30s to at least 40 as Hitler came to Rommel personally for military advice when he wasn't even a general. He viewed the Nazi Party as 'brigands' and 'scalawags' in his words in the 30s.

By early 43 though and almost certainly earlier he knew he was seriously screwing up by getting Germany in war with the US and USSR at the same time he was fighting the British Empire and her Commonwealth.

What did he know about how the Nazis were comporting themselves on the Eastern Front as of early 43? Very little from everything I have seen.
I'm aware of this and you'll notice that there is some criticism of Hitler in there.

What do you mean?

Last edited:
What do you mean.

He knew how the war was going and he knew the British weren't happy about Germany anti-Semitic polices from tuning into the BBC from time to time in North Africa, but the top of the British government was only at this point just hearing reports of the camps and many of them didn't fully believe them.

Outside of the war in the East sounds like a brutal affair and German anti-Semetic policy bad he would be in for a rude awakening.