AH Euro 2012 Football Championship

Can we add the European nations from the World Cup 2010 thread?

There would be some overlaps

Bavaria - South Germany
Commonwealth of England- Republic of England
Cornwall- Celtic Union
French Democratic Republic - Possible
Kingdom of Malta - Possible
Kingdom of the Three Sicilies - Trinarcia
People's Republic of Danzig - North Germany
Rhineland - North Germany
Roman Empire (Byzantium) - in a smaller Version; OTL Greece?

There would be some overlaps

Bavaria - South Germany
Commonwealth of England- Republic of England
Cornwall- Celtic Union
French Democratic Republic - Possible
Kingdom of Malta - Possible
Kingdom of the Three Sicilies - Trinarcia
People's Republic of Danzig - North Germany
Rhineland - North Germany
Roman Empire (Byzantium) - in a smaller Version; OTL Greece?

Looks like France, Malta and Roman Empire are the only ones we need to add then.

EDIT: UNLESS WE MAKE BAVARIA, CORNWALL, DANZIG AND RINELAND INDEPENDENT.

Last edited:

d32123

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the AH 2010 World Cup and the AH 2012 Euro set in different universes? I think we should do the same thing for the Champions League and let people create their own clubs not necessarily pertaining to this universe to mix things up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the AH 2010 World Cup and the AH 2012 Euro set in different universes? I think we should do the same thing for the Champions League and let people create their own clubs not necessarily pertaining to this universe to mix things up.
Ah. Maybe we should ask Martin, he organized them both.

Morty Vicar

Banned
The teams should be made up of OTL players from the regions covered by the ATL map. eg a German/ Austrian nation would be made of of German and Austrian players. Then the teams should be made up on FIFA (or Pro Evo soccer) and made to play each other (using the computer control over both sides). If possible though the team subs and tactics could be managed by their creators. We could use something like manycam to 'broadcast' the match, or record and upload to youtube. The only problem is a 90 minute match in FIFA payed by the computer tends to result in 50-47 type scorelines, even set to hard and slow (hehe).

Anyway I'm way too late suggesting this but worth mentioning I feel..

That took a long damn time.

The Daily Dublin

Hello and welcome. The semi-finals of the Euro 2012 are now underway. Earlier, we witnessed a magnificent 2-2 draw between Northumbria and Frisia go into extra time leading to a glorious victory for our Northumbrian neighbours! Players like McCary with Celtic heritage and 5 players playing in our very on Celtic league, will be partially representing us in the finals, even if our lads couldn't! Best of luck to them, but today our focus is entirely on who they will be facing. Prepare yourself for; Spain vs. Denmark-Norway.

The Danes were a team down on their luck. Star player Henrik Gunndar retired before the World Cup two years ago and the Danes struggled in the beginning of European qualifying. Denmark-Norway started off the tournament on a low-note. A rough 1-0 defeat to South Germany, one of the hosts and favorites in this tournament in the opening game sent them back to training with a bad taste in their mouths, especially with the goal coming from a penalty. The next game was far better however. Henning scored in the 24th and 25th minute to put the Danes 2-0 up on Frisia, and even though the Frisians managed a half-rally when Robben scored a brilliant goal, the Danish attack put the Frisians to sleep after Henning scored an excellent hat trick. In the third and decisive game Peter Henning, once again scored only two minutes in to put the Danish 1-0 up on the Bulgars. Magusson turns in Henning's great shot off the woodwork and it's 2-0 to the Danes. And at that point the deal was nearly sealed. Henning put his fifth of the tournament past the goalkeeper Demirel for good measure and Poulsen and Pieters got in on the action to cap off a ridiculous five niller. Into the round of 16, Denmark were facing an expected tough match against a great Catalunian side. The Danes went down 1-0, just 18 minutes in off of a terrific shot from Alonso. But the Danes didn't once get their heads down. Henning netted his 6th and 7th of the tournament and Magusson managed two as well to give the Danes a shocking 4-1 victory over tournament favourites. Denmark-Norway found themselves playing the UGSS, and became heavy underdogs to their southern rivals. But 3 minutes in, Magusson netted for Denmark and the other 87 went by without change. So now, Denmark-Norway face opponents ranked much higher and much more highly favoured than the Danes, but then again, Denmark-Norway really are the darlings of this tournament. And the excellence of Henning and Magusson, and the perfection of the entire back line could prove difficult for the Spanish. Speaking of whom...

The Spaniards were high-flying coming into this tournament. Widely considered the best national team in the world; Spain produced an attacking play the world had never seen before. The trademarked three defenders and the flowing midfield supported by Figueroa and company held up support for young gunner and hotshot Rafael Ramirez. It was expected to be his tournament, and I don't think anyone can really complain. The first game in, against tough opponents in Toulouse, and Ramirez struck three times. Ramirez hit again against French Algeria and was followed up by Hernandez. Benzema pulled one back, but only for the Spanish to net another with Ramirez getting on the end of his fifth goal in only two games. In the third game, against controversial and struggling opponents Wessex; Ramirez scored his second hat trick of the tournament and Richards put one in the back of his own net for good measure. The Spanish were looking good at the end of the group stage. The Spanish found themselves in the last game of the round of 16 against surprise contenders the Breton Republic. And 25 minutes in, they realized this wouldn't be too easy a game for them. The Bretons scored first, a clumsy goal coming off of Padrig. But 2 minutes later and Pereda had eqalized. Figueroa scored a brilliant free kick and Pereda scored his second of the match to put Spain through against the Greater Netherlands in the quarters. Spain won an exciting game 2-1 over the Dutch with Aquino and Valencia getting the goals to go through to this game today. Ramirez will be looking to regain his touch after two goalless games, and the midfield of the Spanish will look to pass around the Danish, and hopefully into the net of their opposition.

So here we are. We know what's happened, but not what has yet to take place. We are here in South Germany in Praterstadion, Vienna, awaiting the Spanish State vs. Denmark-Norway. The teams are trotting onto the field for anthem. Let's have a look at the lineups shall we?

Denmark-Norway (4-1-2-1-2)
GK
GK Maustad
DF
RB Hot
RCB Alfredsson (c)
LCB Jaer
LB Ericsson
MF
CDM Hudnsson
RM Skjarr
LM Agger
CAM Tomasson
FW
RF Henning
LF Magusson

Spain (3-1-4-2)
GK
GK Velez
DF
RB Herrera
CB Garcia
LB Reyes
MF
CDM Figueroa (c)
RM Aquino
RCM Hernandez
LCM Palmadas
LM Valencia
FW
RF Ramirez
LF Perada

Similar lineups from both teams. The only change between the two of them is Scylfi Hudnsson for Aston Villa, coming on for Poulsen. That, of course, is from the Danes.

1' Underway. Denmark-Norway kickoff from Henning to Magusson and back to Tomasson.

2' Denmark-Norway controlling the play until Skjarr hoofs in a lazy cross to no one in particular. Velez happily latches on.

4' Figueroa really is a great player to have perched above your defence and behind your midfield. He holds up play so well, and along with Hernandez and Palmadas, really quarter-backs the game for Spain.

7' Hernandez receives the ball from Aquino and fluidly sends a ball up for Valencia to chase. Valencia cuts back and looks for the head of Ramirez. Jaer is there first and it comes out to Palmadas who mishits his volley.

9' Figueroa making Tomasson look silly, nutmegs him and plays an exquisite ball through to Ramirez. The striker only managed to touch the ball wide of the far post.

12' Free kick right in deep for Spain! Terrible tackle from Jaer and the Spanish have been known to score from here.

13' Ramirez fakes the kick, running over the ball and Figueroa blasts his effort loudly off of the crossbar! The Danes really are escaping death here!

17' And now Denmark has possession! Tomasson finds the head of Henning who totally miscues and ends up missing the ball entirely! Well that's embarrassing.

18' Valencia chases the ball up the wing on a quick counter, looks up to Palmadas at the top of the box and Palmadas plays the ball square across the net, just missing the foot of Perada. Lots of chances in these openning stages!

24' The game has really slowed down with the Spanish killing off the game with hordes of passing. Figueroa, Hernandez, and Palmadas at the centre as usual.

25' GOAL!!! NEVERMIND!!! SOMEHOW THE DANES ARE UP 1-0!!! Aquino loses it on the right to Ericsson who looks up and plays a first time pass onto Agger who was strangely sitting at half, instead of defending. But nonetheless it works! Agger is leading a 3-on-2 with the Spanish defence and plays the ball into the box! It rolls off the head of Magusson and onto the head of Peter Henning who gloriously converst a diving header! Wow! Unreal.

26' The Spanish are off, content to revert back to their traditional passing game.

28' Figueroa plays a one-two with Hernandez and slips it through to Perada who completely wastes it! Blah!

34' Hudnsson comes flying in on Palmadas horrendously! The yellow comes out and he apologizes. Good lad, bad tackle.

35' Off of the free kick, Herrera boots a kick into the Danish box. Maustad punches clear and Palmadas skies it.

37' Escaping down the left, much like the first goal, Agger sends in the cross. This one goes wide of the post and high of the crossbar disappointingly.

40' Valencia caps off a nice piece of passing from the Spanish to make a nice shimmy around Hot and play his cross into the box. Alfredsson heads clear, quite convincingly.

42' Tomasson picks the ball up in his own half and gallops forward. He runs right by a static Garcia and plays a deft through ball to Henning who taps it around Velez for his seco--- no no! It's offside.

45' One extra minute. Spanish pass

Peep, peep! Half time!

45' Spain kicks off this time. The giant killers have them on the back foot! No changes yet, but I'm expecting to see some soon.

47' Figueroa slams the post from a volley outside of the box! Brilliant shot, and the Spanish veteran sure is getting unlucky!

50' Ramirez cuts and turns on the inside right channel and plays the ball straight across goal into Pereda. However, Pereda is beaten to the ball by Alfredsson who hoofs clear.

51' Thrilling save from Maustad! Aquino picks the ball up from Hernandez and tries a left footer! It is going just inside the far post but Maustad somehow pushes the ball clear of net!

52' Corner results in nothing.

55' Substition. Hudnsson coming off after his yellow card and Poulsen to replace him.

57' Henning leads a quick counter, drops it behind him to Tomasson and he tries playing it over Garcia to find Henning again. Velez has no problem holding on.

60' Passing.

62' Passing. (Spanish)

64' Chance! A corner kick comes out to Palmadas who's shot is directed off of the line by Jaer and way out!

65' GOAL!!! NO!!! NOOO!!!! How the hell did that happen! Jaer's clearance finds only Reyes near half. Reyes just kicks an enormous ball at goal and it somehow finds Ramirez's head on the top of the 6-yard box! Somehow he was totally unmarked and the Danish team wasted time trying to get off of their own bloody goal line! 1-1. Wow.

66' The Danish coach is fuming! Magusson comes off and makes way for ridiculously hard to spell, Riikardjse. Fifth defender for Denmark-Norway.

70' Denmark is going to play this one out for extra time I'm assuming. They''re really on the back foot.

77' First and second substitution for Spain. El Qinani comes on for Valencia and Zubiaurre for Perada.

80' Zubiaurre almost directs the header on goal! But it's just wide! Brilliant work to get around Jaer to even win the header though!

86' Boy, has this game ever wilted. Both teams look content with a draw.

89' So close! Tomasson restarts the counter attack and plays a long ball to Henning! Henning is racing shoulder to shoulder into the box with Garcia but is off balance and can only play the ball off of Velez. The rebound drifts off into the corner, where Reyes picks up the loose ball.

90' Only a minute.

Full time! And now extra time! Henning really could have done better to kill off the game at the end there, but fair play to both clubs, giving us a great spectacle of a game. Let's see what they can make of it.

91' Kickoff with Denmark-Norway. Last sub made on both sides. Palmadas off and Ponce on. Enreich on and Agger off.

92' Ponce looks good. The 5'3 19 year old brilliantly rounds Poulsen and tries a dipping shot. It's just wide of the post.

94' GOAL!!! GOAL OF THE TOURNAMENT! BLOODY HELL! YES! FIGUEROA YES! FIGUEROA YES! Wow. Wow. I am shocked! What a goal! Tomasson is dispossessed at half by Dario Figueroa! The vet looks up once, spots Maustad too far off of his line, and drills it! The shot is looking to go just high but dips dramatically at the very last second possible. That goal didn't seem like it could have happened! Let's hope Figueroa can survives the 1500 pounds of Spanish players piling on top of him.

95' Denmark looked completely destroyed. But as Figueroa was getting hugs and kisses from teammates, Alfredsson got his team together. I don't know exactly what was said between them. But they look confident now.

97' All Denmark now. Great pressure and Tomasson has moved up to forward, Hot moving up to midfield.

99' SO CLOSE!!! Henning cuts inside of Figueroa and curls a terrific shot around Velez and off of the bloody inside of the post. Agonizing.

101' Henning holds up play in the corner, and touches it back to Skjarr. Skjarr flings in the cross only as far as Garcia. The volley is attempted by Enreich and is nowhere near net.

104' Ponce breaks forward, one-on-one with Alfredsson. He shimmies this way and that. Alfredsson virtually runs through him, lannding Ponce flat on his ass and starting play up for the Danes. Classic captain's play.

105' Halftime of extra time.

107' Corner for Denmark-Norway! Skjarr takes it and the header is met by Jaer who powers it straight at Velez! Velez makes the right move of punching the blast over his net and for a second corner.

108' This one is played short to Tomasson, who waits for Enreich's overlap and lays it off. Enreich plays it back to Poulsen on the top of the box and shoots just high. Painful!

110' Henning gets a glancing header on a brilliant cross from Enreich! It somehow goes past the far post.

116' Four minutes left. Poulsen is booked for dissent on a call. Frustration is setting in.

118' El Qinani books it up the left with the ball. He cuts inside Riikardjse and plays it onto Zubiaurre who shanks wide. He'll certainly be upset if the Danes can find a goal.

120' WHICH THEY NEARLY DO! Hot throws the ball into the box for Henning's head which meets the crossbar and stumbles out! Somehow, Tomassoin's reaction header swings wide of goal!

So that's it! Spain make it through! Denmark-Norway give the crowd an applause and are being chanted. They look happy enough with this. Great game

We must look forward to the future, any events we could do before the World Cup in 2014.

No we don't, in my opinion.

Look, this whole set-up has worked two times out of three:
2010 World Cup - it worked
2011 Asian Cup - it failed
2012 Euros - (barring any catastrophe) it worked

The only way we could keep enough interest is doing it at the same time as the ongoing OTL championship, when the public interest in football was at an all-time high. If you try and do some sort of ongoing tournament then I feel not only will it become boring and people will lose interest in it pretty quickly, it will detract from the actual tournaments which in my opinion are fine being held once every two years.

I understand everyone is enjoying the tournament, and I am delighted by that (unsurprisingly). However what I don't think people get is how much of their excitement is based on what happens on the surface. This is why I've held off on publishing my calculator yet (though I still promise to do so). In reality what I do (at least on the calculation side, less so the organisation side :rolleyes:) is incredibly simple and frankly anti-climactic. I've kept it up by only generating the results just before I send them off to keep myself interested, but to be honest I could in 15 minutes generate an entire tournament's worth of results. The entertainment value behind the project, in my opinion of course, comes from us pretending that all these matches are being played, and aren't just a result of the excel random number generator. That's why we have all the hype, all the match reports, all the excitement. And that's why I think that if you continue to have these tournaments more often after I've published the calculator, and I honestly can't think of any other way to word this, the magic will be lost.

I just cut out a lot of poor response (MatthewFirth, did you seriously suggest keeping the South German Federation but making Bavaria independent :confused::confused::confused:) but this is worth replying too. This hits on the other part that makes this so interesting, the fact everyone gets to create teams. We could have done exactly the same tournament by just having the teams that got through to OTL Euro 2012 and running the calculator on them. In fact I did exactly that to the Euro 2008 teams earlier in the thread (with a slightly older version of the calculator), the Netherlands won. Not only does having these odder teams like Northumbria, the People's Republic of Catalonia and the Nine Republics make the contest more interesting (though across time and space Spain still seems to be doing pretty well :rolleyes:) but it adds more fun in the initial stages as everyone makes teams, works out back story, team lists etc. Hence why we never wanted to go for the teams from the AH World Cup but started afresh.

So yes, if you did decide to go ahead I would suggest you let everyone make their own teams from scratch. If someone wanted to make a team from an independent city-state of Edinburgh they shouldn't be stopped by the fact that city was part of Northumbria in the AH Euros, or part of Communist Scotland in the AH World Cup.

Ah. Maybe we should ask Martin, he organized them both.

Ah, one final note to correct a common misconception:
I only joined the AHWC very late on, I didn't even have a team in it, and only contributed a few graphics. It was partially because of these that I became associated with it, but I had no part in the match simulation or the report writing or anything like that.
Similarly in the Asian Cup, where I got in on the ground floor with two teams (Siam and the Trucial Coast Union) and did contribute to he disaster that was the host selection, I was still only involved at the very front end, not behind the scenes.
Only in this tournament have I actually been running the whole thing from creating the calculator from scratch to sending out the match reports, sorting out host selection, team rankings whilst still contributing the graphics that were the reason I got involved in the WC for in the first place!

-------------------

Now, just a personal suggestion ,but could we try and keep this future talk until after the weekend? The final is coming up!

That took a long damn time.

So that's it! Spain make it through! Denmark-Norway give the crowd an applause and are being chanted. They look happy enough with this. Great game

But it was worth it. Thanks a lot for the contribution, especialy the background you put in.

So, we have the teams for the final and third place play-off:

The AH European Championship final for 2012 will be between Northumbria and the Spanish State!

-----------

OH DAMN IT. NO TOURNAMENTS FOR 2 YEARS!

Sorry folks, anyone agree?

Thanks for reading my whole long, well thought-out post in under a minute and for such a eloquent rebuttal from yourself.
Seriously, I didn't ban you (that's no way possible). I just said I personally thought it would be a bad idea and it wouldn't work. I could be proven wrong.

ANYWAY, could you please wait for two more days?

Morty Vicar

Banned
This is the official one, but does it have to be exclusive? I have my own ideas for an alternate tournament (I am more interested in the Copa America or African Nations though). There are multiple ATL's, so why not multiple tournaments to cover them?

Matthew I think if you wanted to run a Champions' League or something of the life on your own it'd be perfectly fine. But I agree with Martin, in that while it would certainly be interesting, it would be near impossible to get more than five people interested enough to do the course of an entire championship like that. And imagine how shit this tournament would have turned with Martin here... I'm sorry but he basically carried it the whole way. Ramirez might win MVP but Martin gets my vote. (Most valuable poster :rolleyes: Clever right?)

d32123

Banned
Maybe we should just stick to the Confederations Cup next year then? That shouldn't be too hard with only 8 teams and 16 matches.

Maybe we should just stick to the Confederations Cup next year then? That shouldn't be too hard with only 8 teams and 16 matches.

I'd be happy with helping out. I was thinking about just doing a couple projects myself, and if anyone wanted to help me sculpt the rest of this alternate world it'd be appreciated, although I would also be happy doing it alone.

Edit: Now, we should quit clogging up the thread :p

Excellent write-up, Batintrenche, you really had me going there at the end. I'll be looking forward to the final.

Matthew I think if you wanted to run a Champions' League or something of the life on your own it'd be perfectly fine. But I agree with Martin, in that while it would certainly be interesting, it would be near impossible to get more than five people interested enough to do the course of an entire championship like that. And imagine how shit this tournament would have turned with Martin here... I'm sorry but he basically carried it the whole way. Ramirez might win MVP but Martin gets my vote. (Most valuable poster :rolleyes: Clever right?)

Well, modesty forbids, but I would have liked to think you meant to say without there. Otherwise it seems slightly contradictory :).

Certainly possible. The other thing I was considering was a joint Americas Cup next year, so we could have the World, Asian (& African possibly), Euros and American Cups on rotation. I don't know, it might be possible. The 2011 Asian Cup sort of put me off but who knows, it might be worth trying again.

----------------

Anyway, there are only two matches left! Firstly tomorrow we have the third place play-off between Frisia and Denmark-Norway*. I'm sending that out to d32123 to write up, that means the final tomorrow will be sent out to Rubberduck3y6. I hope that works!

*Yeah, I do realise there is no 3rd place playoff in the OTL Euro Cup, but the schedule is based on the World Cup so it was included. Plus it is already a different format so it isn't that big of a problem.

Also, what kind of countries in any ATL could be qualified as a candidate team? I might have some ideas about certain countries that I wanted to try out in the next tournament, although I don't think they could really exist, like the Russian Philippines from one of my timelines, Ivangorod Prosperous. The problem with Rus-PH in this case would be that some of the players for Rus-PH from Ivangorod if I were to use it in a future tournament would have to be acquired from parts of ATL Russian Empire.