A true Roman Alexander or what if Pompey had a more impressive eastern campaign

I don't know as much about that area, but the loot would be less, because there have been more others to take their shares there. And moving stuff also is harder, you don't have the largest port in the known world ready for use.
True. But If eygpt along has the wealth to take over the republic adding mespotamia would just be massacre for the senatorial faction

Raunchel

Banned
True. But If eygpt along has the wealth to take over the republic adding mespotamia would just be massacre for the senatorial faction

Yes, but then the politics get even more complicated, with several conquests that might not be very popular with the senate.

So can Pompey retire if he wins the civil war that result from his conquest of eygpt? Also what about the situation east of the empire?

Raunchel

Banned
If Pompey wanted to, he could retire like Sulla did, living between his former soldiers, and no one would dare to harm him. But I fear that he didn't have it in him to do that.

Raunchel

Banned
Why is that?

Because it is a very rare thing for someone who wins enormous power to voluntarily step down from such a position. There was a reason why Sulla was such a rarity. I can think of very few rulers who did that kind of thing. Pompey was very ambitious, and liked being in the center. I don't see him as the kind of man to retire to the country.

Because it is a very rare thing for someone who wins enormous power to voluntarily step down from such a position. There was a reason why Sulla was such a rarity. I can think of very few rulers who did that kind of thing. Pompey was very ambitious, and liked being in the center. I don't see him as the kind of man to retire to the country.
True but he never seemed to be intrested in Having sullas power though

Raunchel

Banned
True but he never seemed to be intrested in Having sullas power though

Yes, but his position is supreme power if he accomplishes all this, he might not be as bloody as a ruler as Sulla was, but that doesn't change his position. Stepping down takes a lot of courage, and it very likely to get one killed, if one hasn't first eliminated the opposition, and surrounds oneself with loyal soldiers.

Yes, but his position is supreme power if he accomplishes all this, he might not be as bloody as a ruler as Sulla was, but that doesn't change his position. Stepping down takes a lot of courage, and it very likely to get one killed, if one hasn't first eliminated the opposition, and surrounds oneself with loyal soldiers.
Well Pompey does seem naive enough to get him self killed by giving up absolute power.

Raunchel

Banned
Well Pompey does seem naive enough to get him self killed by giving up absolute power.

He tried to look naïve, that kind of thing played well in Rome. This can be seen by his actions to get the command against the pirates. He actually was a very clever politician, which was what the Romans hated. He was much more likely to just get murdered while in power, which can give an amazing shitstorm.

He tried to look naïve, that kind of thing played well in Rome. This can be seen by his actions to get the command against the pirates. He actually was a very clever politician, which was what the Romans hated. He was much more likely to just get murdered while in power, which can give an amazing shitstorm.
That is true. But I do see him surviveing and giving up absolute power because there's no glory in it.

Raunchel

Banned
That is true. But I do see him surviveing and giving up absolute power because there's no glory in it.

If he manages a few years, he could do that. But his more likely 'retirement' would still be in Rome, at the center of attention. But he would instead focus his energies on construction projects and the like. To ensure a true legacy.

If he manages a few years, he could do that. But his more likely 'retirement' would still be in Rome, at the center of attention. But he would instead focus his energies on construction projects and the like. To ensure a true legacy.
Of course he has the fortune of the east behind him. If he doesn't build somthing magnifcent he isn't a true Roman. Also don't except a country retirement either. Sure he'll go to his country villa like most of the rich when Rome gets unbearable but his retirement would be in the city to oversee his projects.

Raunchel

Banned
An urban semiretirement would be very interesting to see. He could take on the elderly statesman role, always celebrated by everyone, and still with the backing of considerable force. A bit like a hands-off ruler, leaving the running of the state of magistrates, who however do talk to Pompey to hear his recommendations.

An urban semiretirement would be very interesting to see. He could take on the elderly statesman role, always celebrated by everyone, and still with the backing of considerable force. A bit like a hands-off ruler, leaving the running of the state of magistrates, who however do talk to Pompey to hear his recommendations.
That seems like a hands off emperorship. I like it. So what would ceasar be like if he works with a victorious Pompey?

Raunchel

Banned
That seems like a hands off emperorship. I like it. So what would ceasar be like if he works with a victorious Pompey?

If given a chance, I could see Caesar working to basically become Pompey's successor. As in, the man actually running the show, while he tries to keep Pompey out. He still is very ambitious. At some point, there might be a clash, but that does depend on how old Pompey becomes.

If given a chance, I could see Caesar working to basically become Pompey's successor. As in, the man actually running the show, while he tries to keep Pompey out. He still is very ambitious. At some point, there might be a clash, but that does depend on how old Pompey becomes.
Well if Pompey marries Julia and they have son he might be okay with Caesar being his successor. Of course Pompey others son would have to be dealt with but Caesar can do it.

Raunchel

Banned
Well if Pompey marries Julia and they have son he might be okay with Caesar being his successor. Of course Pompey others son would have to be dealt with but Caesar can do it.

That would be interesting yes, especially because Pompey's other sons aren't too incompetent. They would have to be removed or bought off. Both are options...