A New Coat of Arms Thread

For the second time in a row, here's heraldry from/inspired by/associated with my Alternate North America scenario, this time for New England as a British dominion and/or Commonwealth realm. Technically if it's from that scenario it should include arms for the Canadian Maritimes, but I didn't feel like it, so instead it just has the four original New England colonies (clockwise from top left): Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire (which doesn't actually have arms, so I put in a modified version of the arms of Old Hampshire instead); the pine in the middle represents New England as a whole, as do the pine leaves below (sorry for the jankiness of the writing, curving text in Paint.NET is not a skill that I particularly possess). Elements taken from Wikimedia Commons.

You could have used the colonial seal of the mid 1770s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_and_seal_of_New_Hampshire

arms_of_the_united_american_provinces_by_keperry012-davc23a.png

Continuing my reckless heraldry spree, here is yet another coat of arms from my Alternate North America, this time of the United American Provinces, combining the arms of the original United Provinces / Dutch Republic, of which it considers itself the successor, as well as the colonies of New Netherland and New Sweden as well as the Iroquois Confederacy from which it was formed. The New Netherland arms and the supporters are from the OTL seal/arms of New York City, and the crest is the Half-Moon, the ship that discovered New Netherland, which is the OTL state National Guard crest of New York. The griffin head, which together with the three crowns forms the arms of New Sweden, is the state National Guard crest of Delaware. Half-ass explanation for why it's on Swedish arms: one of the ships that founded New Sweden was the Fogel Grip (Griffin Bird) so griffins are a symbol of New Sweden, along with keys for the other ship, the Kalmar Nyckel (Key of Kalmar), except that I couldn't find any way to make keys look good. The Iroquois have tons of symbolism that would have made great arms if I had the technical skill to do it right, which I don't, so here we are with just the flag. Elements from Wikimedia Commons.

Hapsburg

Banned
Updated:

Personal arms of Lord William McGrady, 1st Duke of Wallerstein.
Gules four weasels passant or, a canton sable with a death's head argent, crowned a ducal coronet or, encircled a cordon azure and Order of St. Mary cross or, upon two crossed staves argent tipped or. Mantled gules, doubled ermine, crowned a ducal coronet or.
The arms are generally the arms of the McGrady family, crowned with a ducal coronet to indicate William's title. It is differenced by the addition of a black canton charged with a death's head, a recognition of the Duke of Wallerstein's leadership in the State Security Forces. The great arms are further charged with his highest chivalric decoration, and crossed silver State Security marshal's batons.

William McGrady Arms.png

Hapsburg

Banned
The personal Coat of Arms of Lord Xander Vox, 1st Prince of Tycho. Despite being born a bastard and in poverty in the wilds of Pennsylvania, he rose to prominence as a valued agent of the Empire in charge of VIP protection. After the transition to the Republic, his agency became a full-fledged department tasked with protection of government officials and federal properties. In 3281, he was promoted and was given charge of the wide-ranging political police and domestic surveillance department, to which he added the regular criminal and provincial police in 3286. During the course of this, he demonstrated his biological father to be Prince Matthias Rycon, Count of Tycho, the long-dead cousin of the Emperor of Luna; Vox was legitimised and allowed to resume the title, which was increased to Princely rank. His personal arms include a modification of the sigil of House Rycon, as well as the death's head representing State Security, the arms of the city of Constance (the Galactic capital and his first police command), the red-white stripes alternately of Hungary (his mother's ethnicity) or America (his place of birth) and the white fasces on green to represent police power (the basis of his authority). Rather than being crossed with a State Security marshal's silver batons, his arms are crossed with the golden, crown-topped batons of a police general.

Quarterly I. azure, a crescent moon argent encircling a fleur-de-lys argent, a label of three points argent, II. sable a death's head argent, III. parted per fess, dexter argent a chief gules, a cross sable, sinister barry of eleven argent and gules, IV. vert a bordure or a fasces argent, crowned a princely coronet or, upon two crossed staves or. Mantled azure, doubled ermine, crowned a princely coronet or

Xander Vox Arms.png

OK, I would need a Coat of Arms of Kingdom of Hispania ( consisting of area from this map- essentially former kingdoms of Portugal and Leon in personal union/later united in one state, like in OTL Spain, let's say personal union since 13th Century ):

s8bhnngukgodmuetn38h_thumb.png

Hispania is red. Yellow is Iberian Federation ( consisting of Castille, Aragon, Catalonia, Valencia and Baleares ). Green is Republic of Navarre.

Presumably some mixture of former early coats of arms of Portugal and Leon would be used.

Hapsburg

Banned
Revised estucheon for the Terran Empire/the Imperial house of Compton.
Revised grand arms of the Empire to follow...eventually.
terran estucheon.png

Finally got (limited) access to a computer with Inkscape!

Coat of Arms of Queen Elizabeth I of England, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, and of the Church of England and of Ireland in Earth Supreme Head

(for my Roses and Butterflies timeline)

CoA_Elizabeth_I.png

For comparison, the OTL version:

480px-Coat_of_Arms_of_England_%281558-1603%29.svg.png

Last edited:
Medium Great Coat of Arms of the Kingdom of Vinland, from a collaborative worldbuilding project I've been working on with a friend.

VinlandCoA.png

Blazon:

Tierced per pall reversed, 1) Gules, a lion crowned rampant contourny Azure, crowned Or, armed Argent and langued Gules holding an axe Or with a blade Argent, 2) Azure, in chief, three Vasa crowns Or in chevron, in base, a polar bear Argent langued Gules, 3) Or, a longboat Sable bannered Gules; a pall reversed concave Argent; the whole surrounded by the Order of the North Star; for a Crest, the Royal crown of Vinland Proper; for Supporters, dexter and sinister a deer Gules gorged with a coronet Or, a chain also Or affixed thereto and reflexed over the back.

Last edited:
This is not a fictional CoA, but an attempt at reproducing the actual coat of arms of Theodore von Neuhoff, King of Corsica, using some readily available SVG elements and very rudimentary Inkscape skill. I'm planning a Theodore TL and decided to try making a colorized vector version of his CoA based on an image from a 1737 map and descriptions in primary and secondary sources.

The medal is of the "Order of Deliverance," sometimes also called the "Order of Redemption," which is the order of chivalry Theodore established during his reign as authorized by the 1736 constitution. The image on the medal is a bit too small to see at this resolution, but it's supposed to be woman bearing a sword and holding a scale weighing a drop of blood against a metal/lead ball, above a triangle with "T" written on it. Don't ask me what it means, Theodore was into that esoteric Masonry/Rosicrucianism/alchemy stuff.

The crown design is based on the black-and-white image of the 1737 map, which is the only source for a crest that I've found. Assuming the mapmaker didn't just make it up, the crown must have been notional only, as Theodore was actually crowned with a laurel wreath.

"In Te Domine Speravi" = "In thee Lord have I hoped/trusted." It's from the Te Deum.

k9pqX5M.png

Sable, a broken chain of three links in pale Argent, impaling Argent, a moor's head couped Sable, gorged a strand of pearls and tortilly of the field; the whole surrounded by the collar of the Order of Deliverance; for a crest, the Royal crown of Corsica Proper; for supporters, two woodwoses armed with clubs Proper; for a motto: In Te Domine Speravi.

Last edited:
House_of_Draculesti_Arms.svg.png

Not my best work. This is a modified CoA for the House of Draculesti from Wallachia and Moldavia.

I've used it for a Moldavian flag in a round of the WFC.

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
Revised.
Grand Arms of the Terran Empire.
The Terran Emperor was also Archon of Earth, Holy Roman Emperor, Latin Emperor of Constantinople, Emperor of America, Austria, Germany, Jupiter, and Mexico, King of Bavaria, Bohemia, Croatia, Cuba, Guatemala, Hungary, Jerusalem, et al.
Grand Arms of the Terran Empire.png

Last edited:
Lilies & Lions
A display of arms used by Henry II & V as King of France and of England.

Tbh I would have expected the quartered lilies to have been separated out, the point of their inclusion in the English Arms was to represent the claim to France. Since this is now vindicated any quartering should therefore represent both kingdoms with England as just the lions and France as just the lilies.​