A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the map from my unfinished sequel to the Anglo-Saxon World that Norman, G.Bone and I worked on last year.

Some of the areas aren't in the key:
The Western coast of S. America is the Incan Empire
The Diaspora states are countries under the cultural influence of the Indian Confederacy
The lime green area is the dar-Al-Islam
The pink bits in Venezuela, Central America and the Carribbean are the Union of New Wales
The Black region of Mexico is the Mixtecan Republic, a hybrid between Anglo-Saxon and local native culture.
The Beige interior of N. America denotes various native American states
Japan, Taiwan and the Phillippines comprise the Nipponese Empire

world1949.GIF

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I can see it OK. Look like interesting timelines...do you mind if I hijack this thread and post a map or two of my own?

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
Very interesting. One note though, an Islamic Emirate in Brazil can't be called "dar-ul Harb", because that means "Domain of War", which means all lands not Islamic.

You'll have to take that one up with Turtledove...

Thande said:
B.Munro: Great Wheels of If map, much better than the one I've done, but just a couple of points:

-I think de Camp refers to at least half-a-dozen Skrelling states in North America, but only a few are named.

He specifically says " half a dozen political areas", of which Aztecia, Tjeroogia, and Dacoosja are the only ones mentioned. I threw in an Apache state, Russian America and an independent california ruled by a branch of the Aztec ruling house to make up the difference, and that's not counting the Maya state in central America.

Thande said:
-I also think there's a reference to Northumbria holding northern France.

I didn't remember that: could you track down the quote?

best,
Bruce

Diamond

Banned
Thande said:
I can see it OK. Look like interesting timelines...do you mind if I hijack this thread and post a map or two of my own?
Go for it - that's what its here for.

Paul - great map! I did a double take when I saw the Texan Liberia. :D

Here's a map of North America that I know Dave Howery will absolutely hate:
:)

PanCanadian1.1.GIF

B_Munro said:
George said:
Why would the Andalusians name one of their South American colonies after a naked (Astaghfirullah!) tribe of primitives
??????
Whatchu talkin 'bout, George?

The Yanomami are naked, and Muslims HATE nudity.

Astaghfirullah = "May Allah forgive them"

Thande

Donor
I don't think Turtledove knows that much about Arabic nuances, Abdul. He even uses 'Emirate of Dar al-Harb", which is the OTL spelling, rather than the more correctly Arabic and ATL spelling used by de Camp, "Amirate".

Thande

Donor
Here's a map for a TL that I call 'Orange World', circa 1850...the POD is William and Mary producing heirs followed by a successful Jacobite restoration, but only in Scotland.

Orange = Anglo-Dutch Empire
Bright blue = French Empire
Purple = Spanish Empire
Red = Scotland and Darien Colony
Pale green = Portuguese Empire
Dark green = Alexandrian Caliphate
Gold = Russian Empire
Grey = the New Holy Roman Empire 'the Second Reich'
Pale yellow = Hungary
Lilac = Venice
Burgundy = Naples
Really pale grey = Papal States
Pale blue = Sweden
Brown = Denmark
Lime green = Poland-Lithuania
Pink = China
Pale beige = other.

Orange World.gif

GASP!

This little map is about two years old and dates back to Mosaic Earth. Although the POD was shakey to begin with, I had high hopes of it being "realized". The gist of the TL is that Spain fell apart with Britian stepping in and it falling apart due to them stepping in to prevent chaos in S. America. The end product of their interference was the Dominion of Chile-Argentina, a blend of German/British/Spanish/Native peoples that truly was bizarre. There is a legend at the bottom of the map. The SCF- Southern Cone Federation is sort of a UN of their TL and is controlled by the DCA.

5687.jpg

And here's another one where McKinley became akamai and sort of re-shuffled the US so that it was more "kinder" to other people wanting to join the U.S. (which became the American Union of (nation) States) and a civil war with the loosers fleeing to China...

5690.jpg

Thande

Donor
Why on Earth is there a Republic of Britain? Did we all go insane overnight? Or did we lose a big war to somebody?

Why on Earth is there a Republic of Britain? Did we all go insane overnight? Or did we lose a big war to somebody?

Maybe there was a sudden and unexpected outbreak of good sense in Britain. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.