A Leman Russ tank in real life

I doubt its equivalent to 300mm steel due to the weird space composits they use, its probably much thicker whilst being light weight due to the nature of the 'plasteel' hull that the armour is part of.

No, the book the info comes from mentions "conventional steel" i.e. modern steel.

Nobody really disputed this. I never said it was supposed to be any good, just that it had to be designed and deployed. Having a worthless piece of equipment seems to have been rather common in modern armies.
Having a useless vehicle is less so, in fact so many get dropped that it takes an exceptionally good vehicle to even see production (let alone deployment).

sharlin

Banned
The thing is the Imperium operates like the Soviet army in WW2 and the Russ is its T-34. You might laugh at one Russ, but its 699 mates might have something to say about that. And thats just the first wave.

The thing is the Imperium operates like the Soviet army in WW2 and the Russ is its T-34. You might laugh at one Russ, but its 699 mates might have something to say about that. And thats just the first wave.

Yes, but ironically the Leman Russ is a design that would have any tank built after 1940 rolling onto its roof and laughing. :p Seriously, regardless of its effectiveness in 40k, the Leman Russ is a bulky, overly tall design with overexposed treads, armor that will be weakened by the sponsons by default, and judging by its shape, will have rather limited ammunition capacity. At best, a design like this would be some cheap one-off by some European nation in the 30s that would be blown to bits by properly built Panzers once Blitzkrieg comes around. After WW2 sorts the wheat from the chaff when it comes to tank design, it'd be relegated to another laughable failure.

Yes, but ironically the Leman Russ is a design that would have any tank built after 1940 rolling onto its roof and laughing. :p Seriously, regardless of its effectiveness in 40k, the Leman Russ is a bulky, overly tall design with overexposed treads, armor that will be weakened by the sponsons by default, and judging by its shape, will have rather limited ammunition capacity. At best, a design like this would be some cheap one-off by some European nation in the 30s that would be blown to bits by properly built Panzers once Blitzkrieg comes around. After WW2 sorts the wheat from the chaff when it comes to tank design, it'd be relegated to another laughable failure.

Either that, or it would make quite a ruckus until a a Stuka or two decided to have it for lunch.

A design same as Elamn Russ cannot be developed due to simple reason - there appears to not be enough room in the turret to fit interwar cannons of such caliber; thats why all those multiturreted tanks have small cannons in their turret.

A design same as Elamn Russ cannot be developed due to simple reason - there appears to not be enough room in the turret to fit interwar cannons of such caliber; thats why all those multiturreted tanks have small cannons in their turret.

Not the same, but similar. The same design would require laser weapons to exsist.

And thus it's not getting anything like the performance it's stated as having.

Do you think I`m stupid? No seriousely, answer the question. You either haven`t read my posts at all or you just assume I`m stupid. I NEVER ASKED FOR ITS IN-UNIVERSE PREFORMANCE. In fact, I specifically said it could be a total faliure in real life. :mad:

Geez, calm down.

No, a tank that looks like the Leman Russ is pretty much impossible, even for WW1, it's simply too tall to be worth considering, most of the tanks of the WW1 era were less than 3 metres high, and pretty much all were less than 4 metres high, and most had a much greater length:height ratio, to provide trench-crossing abilities.