A History of the Mexican Empire

Aussey said:
I know you see the Gadsen purchase, but a lot of that is because of the Gila River...

No, its the straight edges that form the Arizona and Chihuahua y Coahuila border. There would typically be just a single straight line, usually a parallel, or a natural feature in the area.

Oh, I see! All the lines on the map (except the northern ones) were there, but I guess some of the lines were Mexican Cession...how's this map???

Imperial Mao.png

Aussey said:
But proud that he internationally embarrassed the House of Benedict-Orleans-Bragança???

Come on, Catholics take those kinds of things much more lightly. Look at Monaco and Prince Albert's natural child, ALbert II of Belgium and his adulterine daughter, or even Mitterrand and Mazarine who was at the front row for his burial (OK Mitterrand is not a King, but President of France is almost the same)

It's only in the US and the UK that people seem to care about the sex life of their politicians and royals...

benedict XVII said:
Come on, Catholics take those kinds of things much more lightly. Look at Monaco and Prince Albert's natural child, ALbert II of Belgium and his adulterine daughter, or even Mitterrand and Mazarine who was at the front row for his burial (OK Mitterrand is not a King, but President of France is almost the same)

It's only in the US and the UK that people seem to care about the sex life of their politicians and royals...

ok...i've got the timeline up to 2001....any ideas for the future???

Some questions...

-Why have the (departemento :confused: ) on the Yucatan called Merid(i)a and not Yucatan?
-Why call Arizona that, and not Arizuma, a probable, more authentic variant? Also, why are the borders in the northwest so different from those implemented by Mexico in OTL? Will there be no "Atzlan"?
-Why call it Sierra and not Nevada?

Wendell said:
-Why have the (departemento :confused: ) on the Yucatan called Merid(i)a and not Yucatan?

Departments until 1991. Meridia was the colonial term.

Wendell said:
-Why call Arizona that, and not Arizuma, a probable, more authentic variant?

Wendell said:
Also, why are the borders in the northwest so different from those implemented by Mexico in OTL?

I'm putting the original map up.

Wendell said:
Will there be no "Atzlan"?

I dont see an "Atzlan" anywhere on this map...maybe I should look at the one of New Spain (they had more divisions and different names)

Wendell said:
-Why call it Sierra and not Nevada?

There is a "Sierra" and a "Nevada"

political_div_1824.jpg

Merida is a city on the Yucatan Peninsula that shares its name with a town in Spain. It is labelled as Yucatan on your referenced maps.

Wendell said:
Merida is a city on the Yucatan Peninsula that shares its name with a town in Spain. It is labelled as Yucatan on your referenced maps.
Okay, I see now. But in your TL, it stays as Meridia?

It does...because I dont like the word Yucatan, and I dont know the adjective for Yucatan, besides the odd sounding Yucatanese

Aussey said:
It does...because I dont like the word Yucatan, and I dont know the adjective for Yucatan, besides the odd sounding Yucatanese
That makes sense, I guess. I was thinking "Yucatano," or "Yucatanero," but if you want to know, Wikipedia might have that information as there is a Mexican state called Yucatan currently in OTL.

Wendell said:
Do I understand correctly that Mexico has titular ties to Cascadia. Is the UCPA still around?

I was thinking of re-writing the beginning to that:

wkwillis said:
POD around 1805 and the Napoleonic invasions of Iberia wiping out the Spanish government.
The Mexican revolutionaries exile a bunch of Spanish to California and they find the mercury, the gold, the great valley, etc. Mexico attracts huge numbers of Hispanics from the coast of Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, etc. Central America would stay part of Mexico to get some of the gold. Texas is settled by Mexicans and garrisoned by Mexican soldiers paid for with some more of that gold. The Mexican garrisons attract Mexican immigrants to Texas and the Anglos are always outnumbered. The stronger Mexican government is able to keep slavery out.
Later they buy the Oregon territory from the British and move more colonists there to grow cold climate foods for the California colonists, and fish, and lumber. Bolivian farmers grow lots of potatos. So do Argentines in the Willemette valley. And Chileans in what is now Utah. Britain needed the money for the war with Napoleon. So does Russia, which is how Mexico winds up with Alaska.
You get a Spanish North America with English and Portuguese bumps on the East Coast.

and then give Oregon Country to Mexico...

I was thinking a revolution in 2000, with many countries, some going to Canada, some to Mexico, Some to New England, some forming a "Liberated States of America" some making their own nation....

Aussey said:
I was thinking a revolution in 2000, with many countries, some going to Canada, some to Mexico, Some to New England, some forming a "Liberated States of America" some making their own nation....
I could see Mexico, New England, and maybe Canada partitioning the Communist state.