A Girl's Best Friend

A few questions--

did Joe DiMaggio die in 1969 or 1999?- i thought you said 99 but implied he died shortly after trying to save Bobby Kennedy in 1968
DiMaggio died in 1968. It was the Sirhan attack he prevented

Its 2015 and Joe DiMaggios son is playing baseball- wouldnt his son be in his late 40s if he died in 1969? is that his grandson?
Is 46 old for a baseball player? If it is than this will be his last season as a player.

Who was elected president in 72 and 76?
Robert F. Kennedy/Terry Sanford both elections.

I know its supposed to be a stange moment from Roddenberry but why would Sela start yelling at Vietnam protestors/ She is a Romulan - would she know anything about Earth/US history of the 20th century? Or care?
Since she is working on Earth, Sela is learning about the history of her adoptive home. It's caused some tension but not much.

maybe some debate between Sela and Spock arguing over the logic of the war or the protesters instead with Sela arguing for the power of central goverment and need to obey and spock arguing about expressing opposition in a democracy/
It's a little of both, with one flowing into the other. It's one of those agree to disagree situations.

Anyone else?

Chapter 7

"Hi Sam, Paul, kids, Carl. You're just in time. I was about to make dinner."

Underwood was understandably nervous about this as he didn't know how people would react to him once they found out that he was from another world. Of course, Marilyn and some of her grandkids were fine as they had seen him come in. Well come to think of it he didn't know about the grandkids as he hadn't met them oddly enough. Still he could be arrested and put in a mental hospital.

They entered the room. Underwood was introduced to Senator Samantha DiMaggio-Beckett (Democrat-California), her husband Carl and their twin kids Martin and Laurie (age 17).

"We have some questions for you, Mr. Underwood. If that is indeed your real name," said the Senator.

"Oh, I'm sure you do," Underwood replied. "And I will answer them. Just as soon as I find my diviner."

"Your what?" asked Marilyn.

"My diviner. It's how I got here. I noticed it was missing a few days ago. I thought you might have put it somewhere in the house but I haven't been able to find it."

"This is ridiculous," Carl said. "Sam, this guy is a lunatic. He-"

"Maybe not. What does it look like?"

"Like a TV remote control, only with fewer buttons."

Laurie reached into her bag and pulled it out. "You mean like this?"

Underwood pointed. "Yes, like that."

"Laurie," asked her mother, "Where did you get that?"

"I picked it up after Mr. Underwood was moved to grandma's spare bedroom. I wanted to see how it worked. So I took it apart-"

"YOU WHAT!?!"

Everyone was shocked by Underwood's outburst. "Sorry, but that is not only how I get to other worlds but also my commlink to my home world."

"Hey, she didn't now," said Martin.

Carl shook his head. "Which is why you should ask permission before you do something like that." Carl turned to Underwood. "I'm not saying that I believe you now Mr. Underwood but if that device proves that you are from another world and not some crook."

The Senator said, "Regardless I'm still wary of you Mr. Underwood."

Marilyn stepped in. "Sam, I may be old. But it doesn't mean I've gone crazy. I'm not your grandmother."

The Senator's look softened somewhat. "I know mom, but I'm still worried about you."

Marilyn smile too. "I know, I know."

Laurie stepped forward. "Well, Mr. Underwood as you can see I put it back together."

"So, you did. You planning on being an engineer?"

"Physics actually. I also plan on minoring in history."

"Really? Well let's see if you put this together right."

And Underwood pointed the Diviner to the wall and pressed the communications button.

Chapter 8

A picture appeared on the wall of the kitchen. It showed a laboratory somewhere. As the others stared at the picture Underwood was checking the Diviner.

"The picture quality's good. We are pick up any sound though."

"Wait, wait," said a voice off screen. A Black woman in her early thirties came into view. Her right arm was attached to her body and looked limp.

"Hello Cy. It's about time you checked in. And what are these people doing there. You know the rules, Cy, no involvement from locals of the worlds we visit unless we have to."

"I know, Beth. But it couldn't be helped this time," Underwood said pointing to his left.

"What do you-? Is that-? It is! Oh my God, oh my God! I'll be right over."

The screen turned off. Marilyn turned to Underwood, smiling. "Another big fan I take it?"

"Big time. Dr. Bethany Wilkes, the head of the project that got me here and an old friend, has been a fan of yours for as long as I can remember. The number of times I heard her humming some of your songs late into the night while we were working on some aspect of this project."

The Senator came forward. "Maybe you can help us with our own project."

Underwood turned to her. "Your project?"

That's when Beth stepped through the wall and fainted.

Interlude 3
The funny thing about having a popular character go from one series in a franchise into another, especially when the time between both the series and the character's appearances is around 20 years, is that it's a balancing act. You have to do it in a way so as to remind older fans of who the character was, while also not getting so bogged down in back story that you will bore new fans. That was the case when Sela was reintroduced in The New Generation.

This is the first episode of season two and a lot has happened since the end of season one. Perhaps the two biggest are both Frakes and McKellen growing beards between the first and second seasons. Gene told them that they could keep them. The second, and arguably the bigger of the two, is that McKellen came out as gay. Now this may seem like no big deal now, but back in 1988, there were protests. This was also during the height of the AIDS crisis and McKellen wanted to bring awareness to that issue.

So the episode starts with the Endeavour receiving a distress call from Gamma VI where a health crisis of some sort is going on. Captain Hansen is ordered to deliver some medicine that will help out. I should note that when McKellen came out, some of the writers and McKellen wanted to make Hansen gay too. But producers, Maurice Hurley and Gene Roddenberry in particular, thought that America was not ready for it. McKellen responded the only way he felt he could: by being as reserved and unapproachable to the female characters that were supposed to be his love interests as possible. It's not much but you take what you can get.

It is on Gamma VI that we run into Sela again. Monroe had just finished shooting Michael's Heart and was willing to come on the show partly as a favor to Gene and partly because her kids are big fans of the show and of TOS when reruns were showing. Sela is here looking into the health crisis, even though her background isn't in medicine. Huh. Well actually the real reason she's here is that she's heard that this is supposed to be a resort planet and instead there's a disease going around.

Sela: Captain, I can't tell what's going on here.
Hansen: I'm certain that you and our medical team can think of something.
Sela: I hope so.

Denise Crosby, who plays Dr. Yar, has said on numerous occasions that she was nervous about working with Monroe and it shows, in this first scene of them together in particular. Fortunately, that nervousness works in the episodes' favor as this is also where we find out that Sela is Dr. Yar's mother. Sela is a respected scientist in the Alliance and this is Dr. Yar's first assignment.

The scenes between Monroe and Crosby are wonderful, with both actresses playing to each other's strengths. When Geordi comes in to find a way to help spread the cure the greatness of the episode goes up as, again, all three work well off each other. Together they deliver the cure. However, as both Dr. Yar and Sela say it will take years for this cure to work properly and it will not stop the disease from coming back.

Post episode follow up:

There is no annoying character this week as everyone was competent and did everything they could, so the episode gets a +1 bonus to the episode score.

We have a Damn Dirty Mutant for the victims of the health crisis. Though we never find out exactly what it is, it does look horrible to have.

Final score for A Companion of Owls is 8 out of 10. It was a fine reintroduction to a classic character and advances her story. There were a few hiccups here and there but overall it was pretty good.

-SFRemains review of A Companion of Owls, January 7th, 2013.

Last edited:
Chapter 3

So Underwood told her everything he knew about his world. By the time he was done it was midmorning and Marilyn was distressed by the time he was done.

"Bobby was assassinated in '68," she said. "And Joe lived until '99."

"That's right. He stayed loyal to you till the end though."

"You know, I was pregnant with my kids when Joe died. I was so happy and yet..."

"No Joe."

She nodded and started to cry.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Monroe. I didn't mean anything by it."

She wiped the tears with the back of her hand and sniffled. "It's ok. And please call me Marilyn."

"Alright. Mrs. Mon-Marilyn."

A small laugh from her. "It's just I miss Joe allot. Even now I keep thinking that he'll walk through the door. But he died nobly, in saving Bobby's life. He wasn't nominated for president that year and him and Vice President Humphrey didn't win but he did win in '72 and '76."

"That's something."

There was silence between them for a few minutes. Finally Marilyn got up.

"Listen, Joe is buried nearby and I'm going to go visit him. Care to join me?"

"Of course."

No question. Lovely story, go for it, Hi,hi,hi,Ha,ha,ha,Ouaaaaaa! Gerard

No question. Lovely story, go for it, Hi,hi,hi,Ha,ha,ha,Ouaaaaaa! Gerard

What are you on about? There is no romance between the two they are friends. If it's anything physical, need I remind you of the 60 year age difference. I'm not saying that older women can't have relationships with younger men it's just that neither party is interested.

Chapter 9

"Was this what happened when I came in?" Underwood asked, when they set Beth up on a cot in his room.

"Yes," Marilyn said, "pretty much. You sure you don't sleep in the same bed?"

"Beth and I are friends. Besides Beth has got someone else."

"So?"

"Beth's not interest in me. At least not in the way your thinking."

"Oh?....Oh."

When they exited the room Senator DiMaggio-Beckett and Carl were making supper and their kids were doing their homework. The Senator turned around.

"How is she?"

"She'll be out for a while but now harm down otherwise."

Carl sighed. "How much longer are you going to stay?"

The Senator smacked him on the arm. "Carl."

"What it's a legitimate question." Carl turned around. "All this alternate worlds and your mother dying prematurely. Life just got a whole lot more complicated. And it would be much simpler if you were to leave."

"Life is always complicated, dad," Laurie said.

"Yeah, dad," said Martin.

"I know. It's just all this is making my head hurt."

Laurie put her pen down. "You sure it's not the after effects of the chemo?"

"No, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll feel better about all this tomorrow."

"Well," said The Senator, "dinner is almost ready."

Underwood came up to the table. "You two didn't have to do this."

"Nonsense."

A voice came from the hall. "What's nonsense?"

Chapter 10

They turned to see Beth in the doorway.

Underwood blinked. "That was quick."

"Well, if you had taken those pills I told you to take you would have to same effects. Although, they didn't really work for me either, did they?"

Marilyn stood up and extended her hand. "Apparently not. I'm Marilyn."

"Yes, I know. I have so wanted to meet you but-."

"I know. Cyrus told me."

"So is there anything else you want to know?"

"Not at the moment. Right now we should eat."

"Oh, come on Grandma we can ask them questions while we eat," said Laurie.

Beth sat down. "Actually, we have a few questions ourselves."

The Senator said, "Such as?"

"Who's president? How many states are there?"

"Well, Ron Paul is president and there are 51 states."

Underwood and Beth looked at each other.

Marilyn put her fork down. "What's wrong?"

They looked back. Beth began eating. "Nothing. It's just that in our world the president is Barack Obama and there are only 50 states."

"There are only 50 states?"

"Yup. I'm guessing the 51st state is Puerto Rico."

Laurie smiled. "December 1st, 1998."

Martin smiled too. "Our birthday."

Carl looked confused. "Who's Barack Obama?"

There was a pause and then Marilyn snapped her fingers. "He's a reporter for TIME magazine. He interviewed me a few years ago. For the August 2012 issue."

Underwood shook his head smiling. "Well as Beth said in our world he was the first African American president."

The Senator held up a hand. "You mean Colin Powell didn't win in your world in 1996?"

Their eyebrows raised. Underwood said "Senator-"

"Please call me Sam."

"Sam, the 1996 election was between incumbent Bill Clinton and Senator Bob Dole. Dole lost."

The locals scratched their chins. Laurie raised her hand. "Is there anything my brother and I can do to help?"

"Hey, don't drag me into this, sis."

Beth smiled. "Not now."

"Actually," Marilyn said. "I need some help clearing the table. Then your mother will share the big announcement she has planned for tomorrow."

Nteresting
Keep it up

And 46 is old for a baseball player..probably want him retired and either an announcer or manager

Nteresting
Keep it up

And 46 is old for a baseball player..probably want him retired and either an announcer or manager

Yeah I kind figured. Don't worry Paul will be making an appearance soon. He'll be bringing his kids too. If there is anything you want to see in the story I am open to suggestions.

Interlude 4
It's another Sela episode and this one is a lot more fun than the last one. Originally it was supposed to be a musical episode. But when it was found that most of the cast weren't singers, Tim Russ, Jonathan Frakes and Denise Crosby were probably to only ones with singing experience, and even then that's not saying much at the time. So the story was changed to a film noir piece and I say all the better for it.

This is a late season three episode and the last time we saw Sela she was helping with a health crisis on Gamma VI. Now she's contacting the Endeavour from the industrial planet of Tarkus. Something is going on with the water supply of one of the cities and Sela was sent by Star Fleet to check it out.

Now your wondering whether this means that they changed Sela's scientific discipline again. No. Turns out that Sela is also a biologist as well as a physicist. It works because....Shut up. Anyway, Sela wants the Endeavour to come to Tarkus and help her find the source as she's getting stonewalled. When the Endeavour crew lands on Tarkus, they find that the locals haven't heard of Sela.

Well something's obviously up because when they find where Sela broadcast her transmission from they find evidence of a struggle. Geordi tests the water in the area and it is contaminated. Data suggests that they try the local prisons to see if any Romulans are being held there. They split up and, of course, they all get captured one by one. And, of course, they happen to not only get thrown into the same prison as Sela but also get thrown into a cell that is close to her.

Back on the ship Dr. Yar is in command. You just know the situation's bad when the ship's doctor has to take command. I'm not saying that she can't do it, far from it. It's just that doctors have that Hippocratic Oath and that's not exactly going to help you out in a combat situation. Then again this is Sela's daughter we're talking about, so maybe she'll find a way.

Sela, meanwhile fills the rest of the crew in on what's going on. The water contamination is from a local production plant. The plant has a process that makes some kind of metal beam. The problem is that the process causes hazardous chemicals and other runoff to go into the local water supply. Sela was going to go to the local authorities when she was arrested.

And here comes their leader, played by John Hiddleston. He's kind of like a Southern sheriff, in that he is personable. He doesn't take kindly to strangers coming to his planet and poking around. When they tell him about the water he, very reasonably, asks for proof. Fortunately, Sela managed to save a sample and analyzed it for them. And just as fortunately the leader believes her and lets them go. Mother and daughter are reunited and happy endings.

Post episode follow up:

Annoying character goes to the guard that captures Worf. There have got to be better ways to capture someone than a kick to the groin.

I am waiving the rest of the awards this week as there was nothing else to award.

Final score for Still Waters is 7 out of 10. The acting was good, the writing was great. Unfortunately, Monroe was under used in my opinion as was Crosby. And our heroes were captured way too easily. Still this was a good episode.

-SFRemains review of Still Waters, September 4th, 2013.

Last edited:
Chapter 11

At the UCLA campus both Underwood and Beth look to the stage.

"I can't believe that we were accepted so quickly," Beth whispered.

"Quite frankly, neither can I," Underwood reply.

"I figured we'd be sent to a government lock up or something."

"Hey, not every world is like 8472. Besides we got out in the end."

"True, true. Then again we still might."

Underwood shrugged. Looking up, he saw Sam get to the podium.

"My fellow Americans, we have been looking for change for a while now."

The crowd murmured.

"President Paul promised change and has he delivered? The only thing he has change is where the money going. Now the money goes not to defense contractors but to oil and gas companies. Not to education but to big agribusiness. I say no more. That is why I am announcing my candidacy for the Democratic nomination to be your president."

The crowd erupted.

Chapter 12

After the announcement, Underwood, Beth and Marilyn went back to her place to talk about what to do next.

"I'm glad Sam is running," Marilyn said. "President Paul has not been kind to the poor of this country."

"No doubt," Beth replied, "Anyone else running in the Democratic Primaries thus far?"

"Just Senator Bernie Saunders from Vermont and Governor Russ Feingold of Wisconsin. Though there are rumors that Senator Elisabeth Warren of Massachusetts is thinking of running."

Underwood smiled. "That's nice."

Marilyn turned to them. "By the way, Laurie has expressed an interest to me in traveling to some of the worlds you've been to."

Underwood and Beth looked at each other and then back to Marilyn. Beth said, "and what did you tell her?"

"I told her that she should graduate from university and travel a bit in this world first."

"Good advice."

Marilyn smiled. "Laurie may bug you about it in time. I was wondering what adventures you two have had myself."

Underwood shrugged. "We could arrange something. When will Laurie and Martin graduate from university? 25, 26?"

"This year. Laurie and Martin are very smart. But enough about that for now. I'm going to travel to Massachusetts soon. I was wondering whether you would want to join me?"

Beth and Underwood looked at each other. Underwood said, "sure."

Beth said, "I'd love to but I can't. My family back in my world is probably worried about me and I need to get back."

And with that Beth stood up, said her goodbyes and left.

What are you on about? There is no romance between the two they are friends. If it's anything physical, need I remind you of the 60 year age difference. I'm not saying that older women can't have relationships with younger men it's just that neither party is interested.

I'd rather see it has a transcendantal experience between generations and, Marylyn always make me smile by her devotions. Gerard

Interlude 5
It struck as I watched this episode for this review that we never really knew that much about Sela before this episode. While we got snippets before now it was nothing compared to this. This is a two parter that ended season 4 and started season 5 of TNG. By this point, Monroe had started to wind down her acting career. This was in 1992, during the fight between President Dole and then Senator Biden for the presidency. However, Monroe would not officially retire from acting for another ten years.

We begin with Homecoming Part I. Sela is on board the Endeavor as part of a diplomatic mission to Romulus Prime. Though Sela has no diplomatic experience the new praetor asked for her to specifically be part of this mission. Also a part of this mission is Ambassador Spock and Ambassador Ivan Yar, Dr. Yar's father and Sela's husband, introduced in an earlier episode, played by Patrick Stewart.

Getting Nimoy back to play Spock was not easy as he was on Broadway, where he was doing a production of Twelfth Night. As a result, he was only available for five days total. That's why Spock leaves at the end of the first part and comes back at the end of the second part. Anyway Spock and Ambassador Yar explain that the death of the old praetor and the installation of the new one is a great opportunity to establish a new détente between the two old enemies, like what happened with the Klingons. The new praetor agreed and so here we are.

As Sela rightly points out though, it doesn't explain why she's there. Just then a message arrives from Romulus Prime. Seems the senior staff, the ambassadors and Sela are to beam down to the grand throne room of the Praetor. When they do they find that the new praetor is:

Sela: Brother?

That's right. Dean Stockwell plays Praetor Eneg, Gene Roddenberry had died the previous year and this was the writer's way of honoring him, with a certain air about him. Stockwell himself has said that he based his performance on President George Bush. And who should be playing Eneg's second in command then Bush's son George W. Bush. The Second in Command, Vreenak, seems to think that this meeting will be a waste of time and proclaims it rather loudly.

Bush is famous in Science Fiction for playing the villainous advisor. So when Eneg is poisoned in the middle of dinner suspicion falls on him. Part I ends with Spock saying that he will conduct inquiries into this but that Sela should take care of her brother.

Part II opens with Sela, Dr. Yar and Ambassador Yar in Eneg's room. This is very much a bottle episode. Eneg tells Sela that the reason she was part of the mission was to offer her a place in the Romulan Senate. She says that she will think on it but that Eneg should rest. Eneg chuckles at this and says:

Eneg: Always the big sister.
Sela: (smiles) Well, you never did look after yourself.

As they reminisce about their childhoods, Hansen is informed that Spock is conducting his inquiries off screen. Well, the onscreen reason is that Spock is looking at data logs over the past few days to see any oddities and has locked himself in the room with them. Meanwhile Data and Geordi have found the poison used on Eneg. It's tested and found that in large doses it can kill, but the amount in the chalice Eneg drank from wasn't enough.

And oddly it wasn't Vreenak who did it. It was Eneg himself. He was hoping to use the poisoning to get Vreenak out of the way so that he could more easily persuade the Senate to vote in favor of his plan to make his new détente with the Alliance and bring his older sister home. However, the Endeavour arrived too early and thus he couldn't pull it off.

Then Spock comes in and reveals that Eneg already had enough votes. However, since no one else knows about Eneg's involvement, they'll keep quiet. Sela, however, won't be going home just yet.

Post episode follow up:

Annoying character goes to Vreenak for being such an insufferable ponce that his own leader poisons himself to be rid of him.

We have an Ancient Chinese Secret, Huh? for referring to champagne as ancient.

Final score for Homecoming in it's entirety is 9 out of 10. It's a good character study and an effective mystery, with a good twist ending. However, that ending was a little rushed and I, for one would have like to have seen more from Sela and her family. However, it was still a great episode.

-SFRemains review of Homecoming Part I and II December 18th, 2013

Last edited:
Chapter 13

Underwood had never been to the Massachusetts of his world. He was always too busy with other things. He and Marilyn had gone there to do a promotion for her charity Marilyn's Kids, which helps children who grow up in difficult situations.

This trip to Massachusetts trip is to make an appearance for the Massachusetts branch and visit an old friend.

"Good to see you, Marilyn," said former President Bobby Kennedy. He was frail, at 89. Though his eyes still had the spark of his youth, he had difficulty breathing. Ethel Kennedy was by his side.

"Good to see you too, Bobby," Marilyn said, holding back tears.

"And who's this?"

Underwood came forward. "Cyrus P. Underwood sir. I-"

Bobby waved a hand. "Please, call me Bobby."

"Alright. Bobby, I'm writing a biography of Marilyn and I have will live with her until it's done."

Ethel smiled. "How did your kids react, Marilyn?"

"Sam was weary, she came around. I haven't told Paul yet, and he hasn't called me about it so Sam hasn't told him."

"And why not?" Bobby asked. "I thought those two share everything."

"I asked her not to."

Bobby smiled weakly. "Heard her announcement the other day. If there is anything we can do to help."

"I'll pass the offer along."

Bobby turned to Underwood. "Take care of her."

"I will."

Bobby turned to Ethel. "Well Madam First Lady, shall we have this dance?"

Ethel smiled through the tears. "Of course, Mr. President."

And with a sigh, he was gone.

Chapter 14

Marilyn was saddened for days after Bobby's death. Now, two weeks after the funeral she was still in a funk. Underwood spent those weeks research this world.

He found that some things were the same: JFK assassinated in '63, the Soviet Union fell, Germany was reunited, there was a moon landing in '69, the Vietnam War was lost. Others were different: The list of presidents was different: JFK, LBJ, Nixon, RFK, George H. W. Bush, Dole, Biden, Powell, Luger, Hilary Clinton and now Ron Paul. Also America now has a moon base thanks to better infrastructure up there.

"What day is it today?" Marilyn asked, when she came out of her room.

"June 2nd. Why?"

"Laurie is coming over. Partly to see how I'm doing and partly to ask about seeing other worlds."

"Well, I'm almost done here. But I want to stick around for a bit longer."

Marilyn laughed at that. "People are already talking about us."

"Really? Nothing against you, Marilyn, but you're too old for me."

"No offense taken. I'm not looking for romance anyways. Haven't looked for it since Joe died. Laurie though. She's looking."

"Really? At who?"

The doorbell rang.

Marilyn went to answer it. "At you."