A Giant Sucking Sound: a President Perot TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookmark95

Banned
I think the US state most affected by the events of this election is Texas. Unlike Alabama, it could end up a state where three political parties share power equally, for several reasons.

Many Texans are prominent Freedom Party members, from its crazy founder, to its membership, Senators Nolan Ryan and Ron Paul.

Texas Democrats are going to remain very influential, considering Ann Richards, a female liberal governor, became President. They only lost their monopoly on state power in the early 2000s OTL, and with Richards, along with a Freedomite collaboration, they could last much longer.

Also, many Hispanic Texans will maybe think highly of Perot, considering he was pro-Puerto Rican.

Gian

Banned
Hello.

I just want to know "Where are they Now?" (especially those in bold)
-Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swmpy" Marsh
-Alex Hirsch
-Chris Savino
-Rebecca Sugar

and those as well...
-Pendleton Ward
-Genndy Tartarkovsky
-Steven Hillenburg
-Lauren Faust

Archibald

Banned
First of all, thank you of all of your renewed interest. When years ago, I had decided to pitch a story to prove that the post-Cold War world was far from being stabilized and that a third party could be consistent in US politics, I couldn't imagine winning two Turtledoves and such positive feedback. Alas, life took its toll, I had to deal with the beginning of working life and acute depression, and I finally lost all interest in the timeline.

Having imagined early terrorist attacks in Paris doesn't make me smile, being myself a Parisian, actually living quite near the site of the November, 13 attacks (in addition: thanks all AH.comers for your tributes. It really moved me as a French alternate history buff), but I always wondered if having Donald Trump as Governor of New York, then as a truly dystopic POTUS, was one of the most over the top points of the Perot TL; then reality proved me I was wrong, even on his positions, that would appear to be outlandish and biased as projected in a TL; the Donald proves to be one of the worst products of our political times overtaken by populism and xenophobia, in Europe and America alike.

I toyed for once with the idea of a reboot of A Giant Sucking Sound, or even a spin-off for the rise and fall of President Trump. But I didn't manage to take on my previous projects: the one on movie history proved too huge for me, and the Great War one failed to win approval from my fellow AH.comers. I do need feedback, as most writers.

I promise to you that 2016 will be the year of my great return on AH.com. And God knows I have projects.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...esident-perot-tl.208277/page-64#post-11702681

Post written December 10, 2015 - less than a year ago.

This is sad. So sad.

I wonder if OTL Trump will try to start a nuclear war and get toppled in a coup, like he does in this TL.

Too bad we won't have a President Feingold to look forward to. His Senate comeback failed, unfortunately.

bookmark95

Banned
I wonder if OTL Trump will try to start a nuclear war and get toppled in a coup, like he does in this TL.

Too bad we won't have a President Feingold to look forward to. His Senate comeback failed, unfortunately.

That is sad. :perservingface:

But 2018 could bring a whole new bunch of Democrats, so don't lose hope.

After Trump won, I instantly though of this TL. If I'm not mistaken somebody thought it was impossible for Trump to win the Presidency for reasons I forget. I agreed-ed. And then Tuesday happened.

That is sad. :perservingface:

But 2018 could bring a whole new bunch of Democrats, so don't lose hope.

Or it can be worse. Imagine that the Republican party is against Trump's proposals. Then he could threaten them to break out of the party and create his own party where no Republican could control him, and in the 2018 House of Representatives elections the vast majority of the representatives are pro-Trump Republicans, augmented in primaries by his numerous supporters and take a tight majority in the House of Representatives and a handful of senators -the midterm elections have always been bad for the Democrats lately because of the smaller participation-. Then the other Republican senators will be forced to support Trump's policies if they do not want to be swept away in the next primaries when they have to revalidate their elected positions.

Reality always exceeds the fiction...

The Poarter

Banned
Or it can be worse. Imagine that the Republican party is against Trump's proposals. Then he could threaten them to break out of the party and create his own party where no Republican could control him, and in the 2018 House of Representatives elections the vast majority of the representatives are pro-Trump Republicans, augmented in primaries by his numerous supporters and take a tight majority in the House of Representatives and a handful of senators -the midterm elections have always been bad for the Democrats lately because of the smaller participation-. Then the other Republican senators will be forced to support Trump's policies if they do not want to be swept away in the next primaries when they have to revalidate their elected positions.

Reality always exceeds the fiction...

Poe's Law says it all. Poe's law says it all.

I imagine that I owe something to my readers, seeing this thread resurrected.

As of myself, I do quite well. I managed to find a job, I have met the most beautiful and great woman, travel extensively throughout Europe and try to work on my first published novel on my spare time. So even if I remain a lurker on AlternateHistory.com, I wouldn't post a lot, having been upset by the lack of feedback on my 1914 TL (that was far from achievement). I worked for some time on a timeline about Louis XIV and now I'm actively working about a reboot of my "Dewey defeats Truman TL", that will be more or less an alternate history of the Cold War.

Going through the Perot TL (that was a huge achievement to me, all the more when I was only 21 and not knowledgeable about US politics) and comparing with the new situation of the world, I must say that I'm actually distraught. Recently, I have been telling my real life friends "You know, I wrote once an alternate history about a Texan businessman being elected President of the United States in 1992, it received a lot of praise, I won two awards. I imagined that Donald Trump would be elected Governor of New York and then be elected POTUS in 2004, and that he would be an awful President. Do you know what? People told me it really jumped the shark here, because Trump would never actually run into politics."

It bares repeating, Donald Trump running for office is ASB. oOnce the press starts looking into his bankruptcies he drops out.

And then I always told my friends until this Tuesday: "You know, I studied US history, and Trump will never be President. It would take a miracle for such a negative campaigner to be elected. Or a complete card reshuffle of the electoral map."

And now, I must say that I was terribly shocked by the news, and then I remembered my timeline. And I only thought it was a good plot element, in a story I imagined five years ago, when I was 21.

For sure, Ross Perot being elected is far fetched, given the situation of the country and the world in 1992, or even the fact he had never held an elective office and was running out of the two-party system; that's what alternate histories are for. But Donald Trump being actually elected, without even a hung electoral college as I had imagined, is unlike anything anyone could have imagined, according to our previous understanding of politics. But Donald Trump was such an atypical candidate, his campaign was unlike any ever seen, and the America and the world of 2016 are vastly different from 2012, 2008, 2000 or 1992.

It's an era of upheavals, and considering myself a progressive, but without being an American citizen, I must clearly I'm really worried about the election of Donald Trump as President, because he has not the unofficial codes of diplomacy and power-broking, but rather those of business, and because he went to the worst extents of mudslinging and populism during his campaign. I hope he tones down his rhetoric but I think it's another factor for the world going out of balance; it's already the case of American politics. As a Frenchman, I now fear the election of Marine Le Pen to the presidency : my girlfriend told me yesterday that "it's not that her election gets likely, it's more that it becomes less and less unlikely".

I sincerely hope that the world goes on a higher route for the future; don't call me a prophet, call me an idealist. Our creations always reflect our opinions, fantaisies and hopes, whatever we do.

And I hope to find you again for my Dewey defeats Truman TL, going to an Internet board near you in 2017!

Archibald

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.