28 weeks later

I'd think the royals would be top of the list of those evacuated- they do have their own helicopter. And the chances are one of them would be abroad at the time anyway.

well, it's not as if there wouldn't be any Brits left... at any given time, there has to be tens of thousands of them on the move outside of England... the expatriats certainly wouldn't want their country settled forcefully by an outsider... I'd imagine NATO and the UN would recognize them as the rightful inhabitants of Britain, and reject the claims of any nation who tried to take it over...

Ireland might be more populated than England for a change. :D

You'd probably see a great deal of neo-colonization from nearby nations like France, Germany and Ireland and the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

i dont see why the UK would be resettled by other countries, we're talking a mass grave here....

MrP

Banned
birdie said:
i dont see why the UK would be resettled by other countries, we're talking a mass grave here....

Easily accessibly natural resources, masses of things you can steal or buy or sell or use. Even just in terms of privately owned works of art there are dozens of fortunes to be made.

MrP said:
Easily accessibly natural resources, masses of things you can steal or buy or sell or use. Even just in terms of privately owned works of art there are dozens of fortunes to be made.

the brits could still have the RN patrolling the coast, the country will probably be declared of-limits and none of our neighbours governments are of the type to just allow this to happen.

You might see air drops of napalm to get rid of the bodies. Or maybe introduction of certain wild animals.

As for why, do you honestly think an island that size would never be repopulated?

Would the infected show up on IR satellites? If they do then it would be very easy for airstrikes to pick off any stragglers. Dropping armor and artillery as well as prefab bases near non-infected cities and towns would help to preserve some civilians.

There's gonna be a lot of suicides from tourists who realize that all their families, friends, employers, neighbors, etc. are dead.:(

Any new settlement will have to have a garrison to prevent a new outbreak, for several years at least. Gun laws will go out the door.

there'll be an awful lot of bodies, and i'm not convinced the island will be repopulated automatically, the survivors might not want to remain there and there'll probably be massive political problems with just letting another country/colonise it. also consider the countries that could mount that and whether anyone would be willing to leave said countries

thats assuming the vast majority of the population are dead.

The red is EU-Zone. I think you can guess what the other, independent, nations are. ;)

England is too depopulated even after the tourists and soldiers come back (if they do) so they can't rule the whole island, can they? But the more hilly and less populated regions where the zombies might didn't went maybe got much higher populations and thus the English Crown, EU, UN and the rest will let them govern themself?

celticfederation.GIF

celticfederation.GIF

good map but i doubt the infection would just cease where England ends and Wales, Scotland begin and where Cornwall is, i can see parts of Wales going.

i reckon any uninfected part of UK will have loads of refugees.

For the north I agree it would pay no heed to the Scotish border- maybe it could hit the tweed but...doubtful.
Places it could stop:
The Highlands : duh, hillls
The tweed : big river
Tyne: Really big river, would also let them save Newcastle which with its surrounding towns is the second (or is it third) biggest population centre in the country.
Yorkshire: Has big vast empty spaces...
But then thats using logic. And logically this disease wouldn't get anywhere. Hell, that'd be literal if we were being totally realistic, the lab would have much better security.

I bet this film will need some sort of new gimmick to stay action-packed. I'm guessing either terrorists sieze the Rage virus and threaten to infect the survivors, or there's a new strain that breaks out with interesting consequences.

doubt its even happening.
Besides- the pain point of the first one was humans not getting along. Plenty of room for that here.

There are probably a million overseas British nationals, plus British immigrants, and their children, and grandchildren, and wannabe Brits in India, Hong Kong, the Caribbean, Indian Ocean, and Pacific.
There are going to be a lot of empty houses, factories, schools, etc.
The infected will be dead in a month or so.
Figure on Britain being pretty much functioning in a year, but mostly village based because the cities will be gone to fires. Population about ten million and an economy based on tourism and agricultural exports.

67th Tigers

Banned
wkwillis said:
There are probably a million overseas British nationals, plus British immigrants, and their children, and grandchildren, and wannabe Brits in India, Hong Kong, the Caribbean, Indian Ocean, and Pacific.
There are going to be a lot of empty houses, factories, schools, etc.
The infected will be dead in a month or so.
Figure on Britain being pretty much functioning in a year, but mostly village based because the cities will be gone to fires. Population about ten million and an economy based on tourism and agricultural exports.

Over 10 million non-resident Britons.

The disease as represented is hard to imagine being that lethal. Sure, the infected will rampage through the countryside, infecting as they go (but more often killing, the infected don't generally stop on a victim, so the vast majority of their victims will simply die), but will have a hard time crossing some of the natural barriers.

Since the outbreak was in Cambridge, its easy to trace down to London, but what about Yorkshire etc. They'd have to cross Mountains, which would effectively stop them, unless people actually moved them (say, anaestitising infected and shipping them to hospitals).

The outlying areas are even harder to get too. The Cornish peninsula can be blocked easy enough (and was during the last but one Foot and Mouth outbreak which was on the Peninsula). The Solent will protect the Isle of Wight etc.

What was probably far more lethal than Rage and the Infected was the simple loss of basic services, electricity, food, water, sewage. Around 28 days later Chlorea and other diseases should be settling in.