28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

One thing I'm not sure has been addressed here already but always bugs me in things with "zombies" that are just infected living humans: everyone always jumps to nukes, completely missing the chemical warfare option. Zero fallout, minimal infrastructure damage, and depending on the agent you use, self-neutralizing after a few days to a few weeks. May even help contain the spread via animal carriers, too. Nobody (officially) has stockpiles anymore, but you don't need a lot of advanced chemistry or components to mix up some mean stuff. No need for stabilizers or binary agents, plain sarin or VX would do just fine.

Pictured: while obsolescent as an anti-aircraft platform by 2003, the ZSU-23-4 Shilka remains highly effective as a fire support vehicle. Seen here is a Shilka attached to the 92nd Ukrainian Territorial Mechanized Brigade "Ivan Sirko" operating as part of the cordon near the village of Federovka.
photo1680522445-4.jpeg

Last edited:
One thing I'm not sure has been addressed here already but always bugs me in things with "zombies" that are just infected living humans: everyone always jumps to nukes, completely missing the chemical warfare option. Zero fallout, minimal infrastructure damage, and depending on the agent you use, self-neutralizing after a few days to a few weeks. May even help contain the spread via animal carriers, too. Nobody (officially) has stockpiles anymore, but you don't need a lot of advanced chemistry or components to mix up some mean stuff. No need for stabilizers or binary agents, plain sarin or VX would do just fine.

Pictured: while obsolescent as an anti-aircraft platform by 2003, the ZSU-23-4 Shilka remains highly effective as a fire support vehicle. Seen here is a Shilka attached to the 92nd Ukrainian Territorial Mechanized Brigade "Ivan Sirko" operating as part of the cordon near the village of Federovka.
View attachment 899316
Putin here resorted using tactical nukes on Donetsk and Lugansk during the cleansing of Eastern Europe. The Infected hordes were much concentrated there. Putin would not tolerate the Rage reaching beyond the Russian border towns. That's why the line from Leningrad down to Rostov was like the North Korean DMZ on steroids: Barbed wires, mines, machine gun nests, APCs, tanks, artillery guns, attack helicopters, CAS, and bombers.

Apart from nukes, the Russian military used their Chechnya experience to pound infected cities to dust. It is also implied that chemical weapons were used. The Russians would have been observing the U.S. Army using nerve gas during the brief but deadly Second London Outbreak in December 2002.

I'd agree the Shilka would be a great anti-personnel platform. It's basically a gatling tank.

As the grim final line states: "If those failed, there was another option. 12,000 of those patiently waited in silos and submarines..."

We used Shilkas in Afgan and Chechen wars as anti-infantry and support vehicle.
Putin here resorted using tactical nukes on Donetsk and Lugansk during the cleansing of Eastern Europe. The Infected hordes were much concentrated there. Putin would not tolerate the Rage reaching beyond the Russian border towns. That's why the line from Leningrad down to Rostov was like the North Korean DMZ on steroids: Barbed wires, mines, machine gun nests, APCs, tanks, artillery guns, attack helicopters, CAS, and bombers.

Apart from nukes, the Russian military used their Chechnya experience to pound infected cities to dust. It is also implied that chemical weapons were used. The Russians would have been observing the U.S. Army using nerve gas during the brief but deadly Second London Outbreak in December 2002.

I'd agree the Shilka would be a great anti-personnel platform. It's basically a gatling tank.

As the grim final line states: "If those failed, there was another option. 12,000 of those patiently waited in silos and submarines..."

We used Shilkas in Afgan and Chechen wars as anti-infantry and support vehicle.
It reminds me of the Gatling Tank from CnC: Generals. Which can be used against air and infantry targets. I could see this Shilkas firing into hordes of infected while Su-25 Frogfoots, Mi-24 Hinds, and Mi-28 Havocs using their chain guns and missiles to decimate the hordes.

It reminds me of the Gatling Tank from CnC: Generals. Which can be used against air and infantry targets. I could see this Shilkas firing into hordes of infected while Su-25 Frogfoots, Mi-24 Hinds, and Mi-28 Havocs using their chain guns and missiles to decimate the hordes.
There's will be something like that, and in one of part of Petrov's memoirs, there's will be a excerpt, describing a using of chemical weapons, alongside with thermobaric ones

I will note there is a bit of a misconception on the internet when it comes to the topic of Nuclear weapons, many people believe that nukes are inherently "dirty" weapons that leave a deadly radioactive fallout whenever used, which is partly true.

Nuclear bombs however in reality are actually "clean" weapons when only used in a Airburst attack, the fireball from the nuke doesn't touch the ground since the warhead goes critical while still in flight, this prevents dust particles from being irradiated by the fallout or getting launched into the atmosphere from the explosion meaning that the radioactive fallout is localized and doesn't spread in the wind currents.

A surface nuke is the opposite of a Airburst nuke, obviously the warhead only goes critical when the bomb hits the ground, this will create a radioactive fallout as the fireball will irradiate the dust particles and launch them into atmosphere and into the wind currents, In normal circumstances a surface nuke would only be used against hardened targets such as bunkers, tunnels and missile silos, since Airburst nukes are more destructive against large cities since the blast radius is larger when a nuke is detonated in the sky.

Using the Nukemap simulation of a 200 kt tactical nuke, here is a comparison of a Airburst vs Surface nuke on Konkove, the place that was nuked in the second chapter of @Major Petrov story.

Airburst nuke, note how the blast radius is larger than the surface nuke, everybody without shelter inside the orange radius gets 3rd degree burns.

Konkove Airbust.PNG

Surface nuke and the radiation fallout with a southern wind direction, note everything inside the new red radius is 100% dead with or without shelter.

Konkove surface only.PNG

This is what the fallout would look like 1 hour after impact, the radiation goes out to 56 kilometers, although this simulation is simplified since its complicated to predict realistic wind currents.

Konkove Surface and fallout.PNG

This isn't meant to be criticism for @Major Petrov's story, I just want to have people informed that nuclear weapons unless deliberately set to explode on the surface should not be leaving behind a deadly nuclear fallout.

Heh, I don't want to clutter up the thread with unnecessary pictures, but that idea has come up a few times, mostly in the US for short-range air defense. For the most part NATO settled on the Oerlikon KDA 35mm autocannon mounted on the turret sides (Marksman and Flakpanzer Gepard), and the Russians adopted that design as well for the 2K22 Tunguska. But...well, spoiler boxes below with pictures and info.
The one that saw actual service, the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System. Based around the 20mm M61 Vulcan gatling gun, intended to provide short-range coverage to back up the MIM-72 Chaparral missile system (ground-launched Sidewinders), used for ground fire somewhat controversially in Vietnam.
M163_'Vulcan_Cannon'_Hear_It!.jpg
The Sperry T249 Vigilante, designed initially in 1956 and firing a unique 37x219mmR shell based on a necked-down 40mm Bofors case. Cancelled in favor of the MIM-46 Mauler missile, which itself was cancelled and led to the slapped-together MIM-72 and M163 pairing. Later briefly revived for the DIVAD competition, rechambered for NATO-standard 35mm, lost that time to the (once again) cancelled and somewhat disastrous M247 Sergeant York.
vigilante 1.jpg

Gatling_Tank_by_PrinzEugn.jpg

And possibly the most entertaining DIVAD entrant, this one from General Electric: an M48 Patton chassis equipped with the legendary GAU-8 Avenger 30mm gatling gun as
used on the A-10 Thunderbolt II
gau8divadij7.jpg
And in the name of staying on topic, a slightly edited version of an excellent piece by the user Circassian on ArtStation.

The slow and brutal clearing of Britain's urban areas in the wake of the first and second Rage outbreaks saw a great deal of mothballed and outdated equipment pressed back into service. The old workhorse L1A1 SLR became a common sight once again, prized by troops for its reliability and punch compared to the L85A2, though the shorter bullpup was preferred in close quarters. Seen below is a slightly more unusual piece of resurrected hardware: a Centurion Mark 5 AVRE (Armored Vehicle Royal Engineers). While not overly suited to direct engagement with infected, its enormous 165mm L9 demolition gun and dozer blade proved very useful during the grinding advances through regions of residential sprawl. The tally marks on this particular vehicle (attached to the Queen's Royal Lancers) show its "kills" - not of enemy vehicles or infected, but buildings condemned as unsafe for infantry to clear or not salvageable for various reasons. Which is not to say it hasn't been used to eliminate infected hordes, but a 65lb high-explosive squash head shell doesn't leave much for its crew to count.

circassian-war-thunder-screenshot-2022-17.jpg

Last edited:
I will note there is a bit of a misconception on the internet when it comes to the topic of Nuclear weapons, many people believe that nukes are inherently "dirty" weapons that leave a deadly radioactive fallout whenever used, which is partly true.

Nuclear bombs however in reality are actually "clean" weapons when only used in a Airburst attack, the fireball from the nuke doesn't touch the ground since the warhead goes critical while still in flight, this prevents dust particles from being irradiated by the fallout or getting launched into the atmosphere from the explosion meaning that the radioactive fallout is localized and doesn't spread in the wind currents.

A surface nuke is the opposite of a Airburst nuke, obviously the warhead only goes critical when the bomb hits the ground, this will create a radioactive fallout as the fireball will irradiate the dust particles and launch them into atmosphere and into the wind currents, In normal circumstances a surface nuke would only be used against hardened targets such as bunkers, tunnels and missile silos, since Airburst nukes are more destructive against large cities since the blast radius is larger when a nuke is detonated in the sky.

Using the Nukemap simulation of a 200 kt tactical nuke, here is a comparison of a Airburst vs Surface nuke on Konkove, the place that was nuked in the second chapter of @Major Petrov story.

Airburst nuke, note how the blast radius is larger than the surface nuke, everybody without shelter inside the orange radius gets 3rd degree burns.

View attachment 899339

Surface nuke and the radiation fallout with a southern wind direction, note everything inside the new red radius is 100% dead with or without shelter.

View attachment 899347

This is what the fallout would look like 1 hour after impact, the radiation goes out to 56 kilometers, although this simulation is simplified since its complicated to predict realistic wind currents.

View attachment 899346

This isn't meant to be criticism for @Major Petrov's story, I just want to have people informed that nuclear weapons unless deliberately set to explode on the surface should not be leaving behind a deadly nuclear fallout.
In my stoty arc, Konkovo was nuked via airburst nuclear explosion to expand the range of explosion from tactical nuclear cruise missile and minimize radiation fallout. Nevertheless, @22000 Kevin is right: nukes must be used in the way of minimizing fallout.

Last edited:
Excerpt from the memoirs of Dmitry Anatolyevich Petrov "The Rage Virus in Russia: A Personal Hell and European Campaign"
June 8, 2003

We reached Berdyansk, while razing the city to a state of concrete crumbs. It makes you feel like a destroyer: no matter which city you come to, it will definitely turn into ruins. On the other hand, there are no people there anyway, but all this does not remove the depression in your soul: your acquaintances and friends in Ukraine have long been infected, and all you can do is wade through the brutal crowds, fight not only for your own, but for the lives of millions of people, including your compatriots. That's what motivated not only me, but also many Russian soldiers in those days: the thirst for salvation, the desire to save the human race from this wave of infected. Yes, I sometimes slip into Christian allegories, but they fit the attitude of what is happening around me. For me... for many people it has turned into their "personal hell", which is imprinted on the brain, turning it into a film that scrolls day after day, night after night. Sometimes you get tired of the fact that you constantly see these terrible pictures, asking your brain to stop this torment. Senselessly. You remembered that for rest of your life.

The task of our regiment was to reach Melitopol together with the rest of the other units, and then advance to Novonikolaevka. Before the offensive, we were massively given an antidote for nerve gases and a variety of delivery vehicles, including VR and Novichok gases. As it turned out, the gases were not disposed of, contrary to conventions and treaties. Well, it's better for us, and it will be easier to destroy the infection. At the same time, my heart ached when I look at the expanses of a once great country, and the pain pierces my soul: withmy own hands I burn out where your compatriots used to live, where I went to a pioneer camp. It was like that for all of us. But we knew that victory is not complete without sacrifice. I pulled myself together, and before launching an attack, I made a speech:

"Comrades. Today, we are going to make a breakthrough, to the defenders of the Crimea. I am sure that we will win. And we are also confident that we will defend our land. Russia and every Russian soldier have a great goal - to protect humanity from the spreading infection. They pray for us in all cities of the world. So let's not let our Motherland and all the people of the world down. Go ahead! Drive the enemy without respite, without getting tired! Ura!"

In response, the roar of many throats. I did not doubt my soldiers, and they, in turn, did not doubt me.

The first thing that started the attack was the shelling with chemical munitions, since the wind was blowing to the west and did not touch residential areas. Shells with chemical fillings, like bombs, fell into clusters of infected people, which greatly facilitated our further cleansing of cities. Then there was aviation, finishing off those who survived, and then, on a tip from the air reconnaissance, artillery struck, but with high-explosive and cluster shells. And that's just what we went after. Driving through gassed cities, roads and towns, I could see piles of bodies huddled on the ground. It was impossible not to drive through and hear the disgusting slurping of flesh and crunching of bones under the tracks of the BMD. As we approached the city, there were only more corpses: the entire fields, roads, and suburbs were strewn with dead infected, and blood along with pieces of lungs flooded the ground, staining the grass blood-red, making me and other soldiers shudder nervously. It is somewhat reminiscent of H. G. Wells's "War of the Worlds", which I read in childhood, except that there were not enough alien plants, standing tripods and Martians dead from terrestrial microbes for a larger entourage, but even so it chilled to the bone.

One of the faces seemed familiar to me. I denied it, tried not to look at it, but I remembered him. Alexey. My friend, an old friend. Now he was part of this terrible picture, whose half-submerged head with red, glass eyes was oozing blood. It was as if my body was paralyzed: the realization that your friend, whom you had seen for many years, was now dead, was hitting my mind. Somehow I was able to put myself in order and continue to look around, watching this picture. Upon entering the city itself, it looked more like a scene from a typical zombie movie or a mass genocide: the city was flooded with blood and littered with corpses, which is why armored vehicles simply skidded in a pile of corpses and blood. In some parts, "natural" corduroy roads formed, consisting of corpses.

Corpses were everywhere: on the street, in apartments, in basements. Bloody streams could be seen from every corner, and one of the playgrounds had turned into a blood-soaked swamp. My eyes, fullied with tears, stared at this scene in horror. Thank God that this not visible under the gas mask. At the sight of many infected children's corpses, including a girl and a boy of about six years old, there was already vomit in my mouth, which I barely managed to swallow. I closed my eyes in fear, but this scene was still in front of my eyes, so I gradually opened them. The gas mask was a salvation for me, because it smelled of nothing, unlike blood. And the movement of the column was already taking place outside the city, and the picture did not change at all. Somewhere there were more corpses, and somewhere there were fewer.

The first battles with a significant, albeit thinned number of infected through the use of chemical weapons, took place at Pavlovka. Then we were given the RPO "Shmel" two pieces per person, for RPG sections, by order, began to massively issue thermobaric grenades for RPG-7. Even the RPO "Rys" was taken from warehouses. My regiment was reinforced with Shilkas, Tunguskas, T-72, T-80 and TOS-1. Apparently, the command appreciated our, and not only our efforts to break through the front: instead of the planned two-three days, we covered this distance in a day. First, the city was shelled from TOS-1 battery, then through the use of helicopters, aviation and artillery. The massive use of thermobaric and cluster munitions did not leave anything from the city, while the advancing clusters of infected coming to our flank were fired at by armored vehicles.

"An horde of infected people, 10 o'clock!" - I shouted, aiming the 30-mm autocannon of my BMD-2 at this horde, mowing it down with incendiary high-explosive shells. The explosions destroyed many infected people, while two soldiers from my regiment, apparently an RPG squad, opened fire on them with thermobaric munition, tearing the enemy to pieces along with volleys from tanks, an avalanche of shells from Shilkas and Tunguskas. The whole crowd was literally destroyed in just a few seconds, after which we continued the offensive again. The breakthrough to Novonikolaevka was accompanied by extensive use of aviation: again I heard the roar of the Su-25, MiG-23 and MiG-27, but the MiG-29 was added to them, the blades of the Mi-24, Mi-28 and Ka-50 sounded. Helicopters and planes attacked the infected, clearing the way for us with autocannons, missiles, and thermobaric bombs with ATGMs. Moving further and further, we did not meet serious resistance - the aircraft destroyed the enemy before us, and we were only cleaning up.

Soon, we arrived at Novonikolaevka, or to be more precise, to the suburbs. Even with the naked eye, it was clear that there were too many infected, and heavy fire from high-caliber machine guns, guns of all calibers and artillery was conducted from the Crimean side of the Rozhee (Pink) Lake. Soon I saw how, on the orders commander of my regiment, Nonas and other artillery pieces began to fire, along with the TOS-1 "Buratino". Thermobaric explosions covered a huge area, shells tore crowds apart, helicopters hit with rockets and autocannons, and aircraft dropped thermobaric bombs, firing missiles with a similar filling. In just a few minutes, we didn't leave anything of them. The smoke slowly dissolved until a crackling sound was heard on the radio, and then the voice of one of the commanders of the local garrison:

"Thank God, help has come! Guys, thanks for the help! Everything is burning here from your thermobaric ammunition, as if at Borodino!"

Finally. The first living human voice in these few days. Of course, I had heard them before, but the hope that the Crimean garrison would stand was only getting stronger. Even strategic bombers, which dropped thermobaric bombs and conducted carpet bombing, did not spare the infected. When we reached the ruins of Alexandrovka, we finally linked up with the units of the Crimean garrison and the remnants of the Ukrainian army in Crimea, which greeted us with incredible cordiality. We hugged and shook hands. It was a real joy that we were able to save many lives from death. And that was the most important thing...

Last edited:
TOS-1 "Buratino" batteries are firing at a cluster of infected people in the area of Novonikolaevka, June 8, 2003. During the operation in Ukraine and Crimea, it turned out that thermobaric weapons are highly effective against infected people - for this reason, a TOS-1 battery could be found in each unit, as well as thermobaric ammunition.
9208CD3DA62B9B341BFAEE880058787BF50A3262_size50_w1182_h788.jpeg
9a92e3be827bff590af661bd702a2cbd18b40ae3.jpeg

Last edited:
Officers of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation and the Armed Forces of Ukraine at a meeting of staff officers to discuss further action plan. Sevastopol, June 10, 2003.
bBAKZZt1chM.jpg

Also, I thought about Russian sector of Britain or other European countries, like IRL Kosovo in 1999. A Russian peacekeepers will help in Rebuliding of Britain and other countries, but most flow of Russian aid will came to the Russian-controlled Baltic states, Ukraine and Belarus in 2012. Before that, Russia firstly will rebulid their cities, and then other countries. In 2012, Russia will send their aid to the above countries, slowly cutting aid for other European countries.
NB: Until 2012, Russia will fully provide aid to the countries of Europe and Britain. With the deterioration of NATO's relations with Russia and the beginning of the Second Cold War being butterflied away, there's will be a more positive relationships between Russia and United States, maybe, even alliance. Russia's successful actions in prevention spreadin of infection will also consolidate the image of the "savior of the world" for it.

Last edited: