20th Century Khan - A Timeline!

Hashasheen

Banned
i'm stuck on the colonies owned by the european nations, and the percise time: has hitler taken the Ruhr and Austria yet?

Hashasheen

Banned
Copy of Copy of ameribritwankAB.PNG
not quite sure about the africa area though

Copy of Copy of ameribritwankAB.PNG

Pretty good! :) But the USSR has been defeated and Russia is a single entity by 1933 and the Caucasus were independent countries with Polish puppet governments.

This timeline is pretty cool. Can't believe I didn't take a look at it before. Good job!

Thank You! :)

Hnau

Banned
And this is what I envision happening by 1939. The Sino-Japanese War begins maybe a year earlier due to Sternberg's urging and a better position for Japan. Xinjiang follows immediately (just after Turkestan Republic created in 1935, so it falls quickly). Through Xinjiang, Sternberg links up with Buddhist Tibet and promises them a Greater Tibet consisting of all territories they've ever held historically. He also promises to Mongolia all of Inner Mongolia other than the territories already a part of Manchuoko. To the Uyghurs, part of Gansu to deny China a corridor into the west. With all of these advantages, China becomes a Japanese puppet by 1939.

Sternberg1939.PNG

Still pretty good but you got it a little off with Russia, because the FER has been absorbed into the Empire.

I can't take it any more! Why do you all refuse to use the UCS!?

I bring you: Sternberg, 1933

Prettyae... prettyae... prettyae good! :) You got it all right, even down to the yellow and brown stripes on Manchuria!

And this is what I envision happening by 1939. The Sino-Japanese War begins maybe a year earlier due to Sternberg's urging and a better position for Japan. Xinjiang follows immediately (just after Turkestan Republic created in 1935, so it falls quickly). Through Xinjiang, Sternberg links up with Buddhist Tibet and promises them a Greater Tibet consisting of all territories they've ever held historically. He also promises to Mongolia all of Inner Mongolia other than the territories already a part of Manchuoko. To the Uyghurs, part of Gansu to deny China a corridor into the west. With all of these advantages, China becomes a Japanese puppet by 1939.

You are pretty close with the Western China and Tibet thing but not quite with the later part. Just wait and see what the Baron will do around 1939 or '40, it will be something sooooo unexpected and crazy, it'll blow everyone's heads off!!!!

Hashasheen

Banned
Still pretty good but you got it a little off with Russia, because the FER has been absorbed into the Empire.

i think that someone else made a better version of mine, with the control over Russia, does the Japanese navy head against the Pacific

Vault-Scope

Banned
Does Poland annexe Belarus & the caucase puppet states? Seize the baltic countries?
Will the Baron´s armies join Japan & Iran in the Glorious liberation of India and Indochina from the decadent powers of europe?

Has industrialisation advanced further than in OTL, or is it behind ??

Does Poland annexe Belarus & the caucase puppet states? Seize the baltic countries?
Will the Baron´s armies join Japan & Iran in the Glorious liberation of India and Indochina from the decadent powers of europe?

Now don't get ahead of yourself there! :);) You'll just have to wait and see what will happen. :);)

Has industrialisation advanced further than in OTL, or is it behind ??
Industrialization is pretty much the same except that Siberia is obviously much more industrialized than IOTL.

What Is Military Buddhism?

Excerpts from: “What Is Military Buddhism?” by Thomas Kline, (1950)

When we here in the free world hear the word “Buddhism”, we often think of the dark atrocious acts being committed everyday in the Far East but it is surprising to say that anywhere from a hundred years ago, when European exploration was just beginning to penetrate the secrets of the Asian mainland and Buddhism was first heard of among the peoples of Europe and America, to just as early as thirty years ago, this faith held a place of high, positive esteem in the Western collective conscious. It was once thought off as an ideal and genuine religion of peace and spirituality. Images of serene orange-robed monks meditating in majestic temples secluded in the high mountains of China and Tibet often entered the mind of the average Westerner but in such a short amount of time, this image has been overturned and replaced with the complete opposite. These monks who were once thought of as peaceful, wise old sages are now seen as bloodthirsty thugs who are always out to kill and terrorize. The sacred temples of Buddhism which were once regarded as exotic palaces or places of worship just as legitimate as any Christian church are now seen as nothing but fancifully decorated houses of death, torture and terror. What happened? The answer lies in the recent history of the Asian mainland and the figure it is centered on, the man who is considered by some historians as probably the most important and influential personality in the history of the East or even of the world, comparable to the likes of Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Napoleon or even the man who he thought himself to be a reincarnation of, Genghis Khan.

This 13th Century Mongol warlord who is credited ad the founder of the single largest land empire in human history, shares a lot in common with the Baron von Sternberg. They are both seen by the world of their time as dangerous, vicious, powerful, unstoppable military machines but at the same time, seen by their own people as strong, wise and incorruptible leaders. They also saw the two “Khans” as unstoppable military machines but only in a more positive light. Their respective empires occupy the same tracts of land and are so very alike in everything from its demographic content to its laws and customs to its political structure, that one could argue that these empires are one and the same, a single entity whose continuity has been only momentarily disturbed by some seven hundred years, insignificant in the vast cosmic current of time and destiny but for all the commonalities shared by these two titanic personalities, there is something that sets them apart. If Genghis and the Baron were both extremely capable generals and both effective civil administrators, there is one thing however that the Baron is and that Genghis was not. The Baron is a theologian. Although not in the list of his official ecclesiastical titles, which include, High Lama, Mahalaka incarnation and “God of War!” which is what his subjects would address him with, always in a shouting, exclamatory tone with his military subordinates, he would most certainly admit to being a theologian.

The Baron’s contributions to Buddhism are enormous. His teachings alone have spawned entire libraries that add to the oceans of theological literature from past theological Buddhist heavyweights. Military Buddhism, the face of Buddhism we know today is entirely the creation of the Baron. Nothing like it has existed in the thousands of years of Buddhist history. Since it is the only form of Buddhism to establish itself through military force, and also because it has acted more like a modern day political ideology rather than a spiritual philosophy (which is what it essentially is, don’t get me wrong), it has become the dominant form of Buddhism. It has wiped out or some would say “absorbed” the much older branches of Buddhism that came before it. The Theravada, Mahayana and Vajirayana schools of Buddhism still exist in the minds of the many monks who claim to be disciples of these schools but all of these have been changed fundamentally by the dominating and inescapable influence of Military Buddhism. If Military Buddhism tried to establish itself with more traditional means, mean that did not include violence, it would have no doubt been discredited as complete heresy, even in the harmonious religion of pre-Sternberg Buddhism, its text along with what little followers it may have had would have been thrown to the fire by the monks, the same serene figures which existed in the minds of Westerners as the representatives of Buddhism before the time of the new “Khan”.

The core of Military Buddhism is the belief in the idea of “noble agency” which is essentially most artistically put in the following verse taken from a poem in “Reflections”, a religious text written by a Mongolian agent of the OMB, Lahn Zioxiong: “It is an invaluable offering of compassion, an eternally useful gift of loving mercy from one soul to another, whatever act that may fulfill the noble promise of being the agent of ascension to Nirvana. There is nothing like the futility of a dandelion in the wind and the sweet dumb innocence, like that of a young child’s, seen in the eyes of the lucky one that so beautifully, so intricately and so masterfully spins the wheel of Dharma. The only hindrance is the ephemeral duration of this divine moment and the only solution is the fulfillment of the noble promise. Here, the soul escapes the body happily and meaningfully like a warrior who dies in battle or a sick man who dies before the worst.” If this and similar texts were compressed and expressed in plain English, the gist of it would be something like this: if the ones being slain were unable to protect themselves, it meant they were feeble and living under poor Karma. By dying in a state of innocence, they improved their position on the rungs of the cosmos and the journey to Nirvana was hastened if not fulfilled.

Being an “agent” of someone’s “ascent to Nirvana” simply meant being their killer. So, in all actuality, every time a Military Buddhist kills someone, he does it out of the greatest intentions. These people kill with love, mercy, compassion and grace. It is said, that what an OMB agent looks for while taking someone’s life is that brief second where “futility” and “innocence” were displayed in the victim’s eyes. A colleague of mine, Dr. Jeff Abrams made the comparison to the medieval days of Christianity when it was believed by most Christians that the only way a heathen could avoid the fires of hell was if that heathen met his death through the sword of a crusader or the fires of the stake. “The idea of “killing with love” or the justification of killing with love is something so inherent and universal in religion, that now that Christianity and Islam have “tamed down”, it is Buddhism’s turn to do this”. This statement of his has met a lot of controversy but has also been the reason for more comparison between Military Buddhism and early Christianity. It could also been said that if the core of Military Buddhism is the “noble agency” then the core of the core of Military Buddhism is violence. As Buddhism has always opposed violence, this is the revolutionary change in the Yellow Faith that has shaken its very foundations and turned it into something new. Some would even say that this is the change Buddhism needs to push it onto the world stage and that the 20th Century is Buddhism’s time to leave a mark on the world as it has lain dormant for millennia. No armies have charged into battle shouting verses from its holy books, no empires have been forged with bloodshed under the banner of Buddha until now. That peaceful age of Buddhism has come to an end. Fah Sheung, a devout Chinese Military Buddhist monk once exclaimed, “This is how Buddhism would have been since the start, if only the Gautama had a gun!”

Last edited:

Goldstein

Banned
Hnau, your map is great, but I think it would be more accurate with a few changes.

I've focused the new Polish situation, as well as the full influence of Sternberg, I've included Islamic Central Asia, I've merged Finland with Karelia-Murmansk and I've changed Karelian border a bit.

Hamburger, this is rapidly becoming one of my favourite TLs ever. Keep on the awesomeness!

Khan del Siglo XX.PNG

Hnau, your map is great, but I think it would be more accurate with a few changes.

I've focused the new Polish situation, as well as the full influence of Sternberg, I've included Islamic Central Asia, I've merged Finland with Karelia-Murmansk and I've changed Karelian border a bit.

Hamburger, this is rapidly becoming one of my favourite TLs ever. Keep on the awesomeness!

Thank you very much! :)

Excellent map! :) Also, there is something off with all the maps but it's so little and insignificant and not really related to the TL but for the sake of total accuracy, Italy hasn't conquered Ethiopia yet. ;)

Hnau

Banned
Well, here's a question for the maps. Are Mongolia, Islamic Central Asia, and the Ukraine de jure independent nations? Or even de jure influenced countries? If so, then I would recommend keeping the inner outline either white (d.j. independent) or red (lighter color of Imperial dark red, d.j. influenced)? Or, maybe you want to make it so that the Russian Empire has suzerainty over these countries, in which you need a different border entirely.

Belarus definitely needs to be a Polish puppet, but I would assume it being a de jure independent state (white inner outline). I would also believe the Ukraine to be d.f. and d.j. a country influenced both by the Russian Empire and Poland (stripes). Is Karelia-Murmansk de jure and de facto in union with Finland? Hmm... must have missed that.

Sternberg1933.PNG

Last edited:
Well, here's a question for the maps. Are Mongolia, Islamic Central Asia, and the Ukraine de jure independent nations? Or even de jure influenced countries? If so, then I would recommend keeping the inner outline either white (d.j. independent) or red (lighter color of Imperial dark red, d.j. influenced)? Or, maybe you want to make it so that the Russian Empire has suzerainty over these countries, in which you need a different border entirely.

Belarus definitely needs to be a Polish puppet, but I would assume it being a de jure independent state (white inner outline). I would also believe the Ukraine to be d.f. and d.j. a country influenced both by the Russian Empire and Poland (stripes). Is Karelia-Murmansk de jure and de facto in union with Finland? Hmm... must have missed that.

Russia, Mongolia, Manchukou and Ukraine are d.j. independent but the Baron is the d.f. head-of-government in all those states but in Ukraine, he mostly leaves the Patriarch alone so he can do whatever he wants. The Baron is also the h-o-g in Islamic Central Asia but I still haven't decided what kind of government would be in place, probably some kind of Islamic Imamate, but as of now, it's still undecided so they are in some sort of transitional/ interim government maybe. Also, they could probably be an autonomous region or protectorate of the Tsar but I still don't know right now.

All the Polish puppet states are d.j. separate independent states and are only highly influenced by the Poles. They are mostly left to themselves and the Poles only meddle in when it comes to foreign policy. Also, Poland has no influence whatsoever in Ukraine. In the case of Finland, the Karelia-Murmansk territories are under military occupation.

Alright then. Something more like this?

Yeah, that's pretty good! :) Thank you so very much for your contributions! Can't thank you enough! :) Keep up the excellence in all your mapmaking efforts! :) Looking forward to more here! (that is of course if you're still willing ;))!