1950s version of GI Joe vs Cobra

I've been thinking about the motivation for Cobra Commander, and here is a rough bio.

Mr X was born in 1923 in Toulon, France. Drafted into the French Army in 1940, following the surrender of France in 1940, he is interred by the Germans. However, in prison he is offered the chance of continued incarceration or enlisting in the Waffen SS, a choice that he willingly makes. X fights for three years against the Red Army, until he is once more interred following the collapse of the Reich in 1945. Escaping from prison he makes his way back to France, and enlists in the French Foreign Legion.

Volunteering for service in French Indochina he soon finds himself in combat once more, fighting against the hated Communists. It is on his third tour that he is sent to organise a maquis formed from a Laotian hill tribe. Identifying with the tribe, he is inducted into their specific order, whereby they use the blood of a Cobra to induce hallucinations. Following the fall of Dien Bien Phu the French and Americans stop supplying him, so X is forced to lead his people to safety. X then forms a secret society aimed at bringing down both East and West.

Alternatively:

Mr W is born in Dortmund in 1922. W volunteers for the Fallschirmjager serving with them for the duration of the war, again captivity to join the Legion with his comrades. There he volunteers for service in French Indo China serving once more with the paras, on his second tour he is asked to create a maquis from a hill tribe in Laos. W agrees on the condition that the surviving German paratroopers accompany him, a condition which is belatedly accepted. Accepted into the hill tribe, he participates in the initiation ceremony discussed above.

During Op Lorraine (the battle of Dien Bien Phu) W leads a force to create an opening for the French survivors to escape, and in doing so rescues approximately hundred men. In the post war environment, once more he is abandoned and must now create a future for his people, but a seething resentment builds against East and West.

Alternatively, I can replace the Laotian hill tribe with an Algerian Kabile village or community.

Thoughts or comments?
I like both Mr. X & W. The Indochina scenario sounds good as does meeting up with Stormshadow.

The Drednoks could be former German motorcycle troops or whatever they were called.
In the early years of the war German motorcycle troops were panzergrenadiers but as the war progressed their bikes were replaced with tracked and wheeled vehicles.
Dispatch riders still rode motorcycles throughout the war though.

In the early years of the war German motorcycle troops were panzergrenadiers but as the war progressed their bikes were replaced with tracked and wheeled vehicles.
Dispatch riders still rode motorcycles throughout the war though.
Yeah, the Drednoks could be former panzergrenadiers.

I remember a classic episode of "Get Smart" where Siegfried is giving a speech to his Kaos henchmen and mentions the Glorious Fatherland and then mutters under his breath "South America". :)

Okay I will put a couple of options on the table:

1/ Cobra Command takes over an island in the Caribbean as per canon, a number of advantages with this option and of course allows me to parallel Dr No.

2/ Cobra Command takes over an island similar to Lian Yu in the Arrowverse, or the Rook Islands from Far Cry 3 somewhere in the South China Sea.

3/ Another option <insert random South American country>, personally I like the concept of an island that has been conveniently bypassed by civilisation. Further it gives greater depth to showing Cobra Commander's messianic complex, particularly when he relocates the Montangnard tribe that safeguarded him.

BTW massive fan of the October Guard, so of course they would get a look in with this TL.

I like the island idea but I also liked your Antarctica idea too, the Nazis sent several expeditions down there that led to a lot of wild conspiracy theories so why not use em?

I was thinking, Why not have Cobra have an island their main base of operations and another base in Antarctica where they manufacture weapons and such.
Cobra's weaponry could be designs stolen from both the Western and Eastern Block plus late war Axis designs, perhaps some or most of the weapons a combination of the stolen technology.

Some U-Boats after the war went South America, ITTL one or two of them could have joined up with Cobra and toss in a couple German rocket scientist and a couple disaffected Soviet spies who spied on the Manhattan project and defected to Cobra and they could come up with an anti-nuke deterrent.
A lot of possibilities here as long as we remember this is ASB. :cool::)

Some U-Boats after the war went South America, ITTL one or two of them could have joined up with Cobra and toss in a couple German rocket scientist and a couple disaffected Soviet spies who spied on the Manhattan project and defected to Cobra and they could come up with an anti-nuke deterrent.
A lot of possibilities here as long as we remember this is ASB. :cool::)
Japanese ultra nationalists and Italian Facist remnants too.

There are large German, Italian and Japanese communities within South America, I will take the more conservative elements and place them into their own fictional country. Lots of straight roads and large over engineered civil projects.