Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd only have to shoot the first ten or twenty thousand and they'd stop coming; not exactly hard work for Ho, particularly when they are Chinese.

No border is unpenetrable and China at this stage is such a mess that even risking being shoot it's the much much lesser evil; plus there are other way to get from China to North Vietnam. Trust me, if the Mediterrean refugee crisis had teached something here it's that trying to block every way to enter it's uselles and a waste of resources.
Not considering that the author already stated that there are hundred of thousand of chinese refugee in North Vietnam (and other nation of South East Asia...with very brutal racial riots as consequence); frankly i doubt that Moscow it's very appreciated there at the moment.
On the other side, Uncle Ho ITTL it's basically surrounded by hostile nation as now he border the ROC on the north...and the general economic situation will be much worse here than OTL due to the distruption of the war and much lesser aid from URSS and PRC, so while they will be forced to be more dependent from Moscow, they can't afford to be aggressive as OTL

No border is unpenetrable and China at this stage is such a mess that even risking being shoot it's the much much lesser evil; plus there are other way to get from China to North Vietnam. Trust me, if the Mediterrean refugee crisis had teached something here it's that trying to block every way to enter it's uselles and a waste of resources.
Not considering that the author already stated that there are hundred of thousand of chinese refugee in North Vietnam (and other nation of South East Asia...with very brutal racial riots as consequence); frankly i doubt that Moscow it's very appreciated there at the moment.
On the other side, Uncle Ho ITTL it's basically surrounded by hostile nation as now he border the ROC on the north...and the general economic situation will be much worse here than OTL due to the distruption of the war and much lesser aid from URSS and PRC, so while they will be forced to be more dependent from Moscow, they can't afford to be aggressive as OTL

So would something like Han Chinese Minority emcompassing most of the Russian far east be realistic?

So would something like Han Chinese Minority emcompassing most of the Russian far east be realistic?

Maybe with time, surely not now...with the war people will have flee the region and living among the russian at the moment will not be the first choice of any chinese, even because it's not very easy place to live.

Maybe with time, surely not now...with the war people will have flee the region and living among the russian at the moment will not be the first choice of any chinese, even because it's not very easy place to live.

Just an idea for what would unfold if the Soviets back a Peoples republic consisting of only Manchuria, since China Proper is a lost cause.

thorr97

Banned
So Canada is a stateless, classless, moneyless society, wherein every person contributes according to his ability, and is rewarded according to need?;)

Well, Canada has inflicted both Celine Dion and Justin Beiber on the rest of us. If that's not a Dirty Rotten Commie Trick™ then what else could it be?

Blimey! That's what I call a dystopian 1950s.

I imagine that the intellectual environment of the 1960s will be very different that OTL. There is the distinct anarcho-syndicalist movement for starters. On the other hand the "Red Diaper Babies" that were such active players in the New Left of OTL will likely be equated with the German-American Bund or Charles Lindbergh in the average citizen's mind.

Friedrich Hayek will inevitably conclude that racism is also an inevitable consequence of statism as both Holocausts were brought about by regimes were the collective was supreme to individual human beings and could therefore justify slaughtering those outside the respective collectives.

On the other hand, the Arthur Schlesinger's of the world will become even more weary of ideologically-charged groups than OTL and be even more devoted to defending the "Vital Center".

It is also quite interesting how this is increasingly becoming a world where McCarthyism and anti-hate speech laws are becoming increasingly indistinguishable in how they both target ideologues as "subversive" .

Since this reality features an early Nixon administration, I wonder if US attention will turn to developing/courting stronger relations with Latin America (in OTL, Nixon came to this view, particularly after he was mobbed in Venezuela).

Friedrich Hayek will inevitably conclude that racism is also an inevitable consequence of statism as both Holocausts were brought about by regimes were the collective was supreme to individual human beings and could therefore justify slaughtering those outside the respective collectives.

This could probably mean that Governments, politicians, and famous people around the world(Especially the USA and it's citizens) will be held more to account for violation of human rights than OTL.

It is also quite interesting how this is increasingly becoming a world where McCarthyism and anti-hate speech laws are becoming increasingly indistinguishable in how they both target ideologues as "subversive" .

I can actually see this as leading to the arrest of people who got away with hate speeches unlike OTL, so bye bye Westboro Baptist Church.

I can actually see this as leading to the arrest of people who got away with hate speeches unlike OTL, so bye bye Westboro Baptist Church.

Yes, for the near future, there is unlikely to be any such thing as the religious right or new left ( in US politics anyway); the Democrats will remain the party of labour ( not "people named Jack who look like Jill's and smell like John's" to use the words of OTL 1972 George Meany) and Republicans as the party of capital. It will be interesting to see if there will be third parties ( i.e. anarcho- syndicalists).

I also wonder if the Chinese Civil War will not be considered over in 1949 by historians as Chiang successfully set foot on the mainland again (temporary setback rather than outright defeat).

For that matter, the Korean War may be considered a theatre/extension of the Chinese Civil War by many.

I wonder if this TL will discredit the "Manufacturing/Heavy Industry is the TRUE Economy!" bunk, considering how the ATL USSR is gutted despite being primarily heavy industry.

This could probably mean that Governments, politicians, and famous people around the world(Especially the USA and it's citizens) will be held more to account for violation of human rights than OTL.

On the other hand, the south (and hoover) would also exploit the Hate Speech Laws to paint the likes of Malcolm X as racist

paint the likes of Malcolm X as racist

Malcolm X doesn't have to "painted" as racist. Especially in the late fifties and early sixties, he unquestionably was one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_007

"However, Nation of Islam leader Malcolm X, speaking in Los Angeles, expressed joy over the deaths of the all-white group from Atlanta, saying "I would like to announce a very beautiful thing that has happened...I got a wire from God today...well, all right, somebody came and told me that he really had answered our prayers over in France. He dropped an airplane out of the sky with over 120 white people on it because the Muslims believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But thanks to God, or Jehovah, or Allah, we will continue to pray, and we hope that every day another plane falls out of the sky." These remarks led Los Angeles Mayor Sam Yorty to denounce him as a "fiend" and Dr. King to voice disagreement with his statement. Malcolm later remarked that "The Messenger should have done more.""

Status
Not open for further replies.