X2 (Every Colour Scheme Ever Colour Scheme) Colour Scheme

I must admit, I don't have much information regarding South American alt-histories. What colours I do have for the area is very much a bare-bones, able to cover only a small bit of OTL history. If you've got any good repositories of information so I can find the most common alternate nation-states, I'd be interested.

Polandball. They have as complete a list as I can tell of current breakaway regions and nationless minorities that I have yet seen. Many areas you have covered, but some could use their own color if you think it's necessary. Also, Polandball, despite being difficult to decipher sometimes, is a very good way of quickly learning current diplomatic situations.

http://polandball.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Separatist_Countryballs

Polandball aside, the most likely nations to gain independence in the remainder of this decade and in the 20s are:

Bougainville
Catalonia
Crimea
Faroe Islands
Greenland
Kurdistan
New Caledonia
Palestine
Quebec
Scotland
Taiwan (independent from ROC and PRC)
Veneto

Bougainville, Faroe Islands (this is why I support a color for FI), New Caledonia, and a Chinese independent Taiwan would currently be the best candidates for colors at this point, as well the Cook Islands, which is the only sovereign state that currently lacks one at this point.

Last edited:
  • Acre was once a country in far western Brazil in the 1800s, and might become a country again in the future if Brazil splits apart.
  • Amazonia is always a fun ATL nation, as well as a good generalized color for Amazon natives.
  • Galapagos is another fun ATL nation which may someday be it's own nation, or at the very least self-governing.
  • FARC is incredibly still active in Colombia after around 50 years. They're now really weak, and are unlikely to regain the significance they once had, but certainly a must have color for historical OTL and ATL maps alike.

Oh, you already have an Amazonia/Amazon natives color. Sorry, my brain isn't functioning today! A Nazca/Atacama/Northern Chile color would be nice. Such a color could easily be used for all three functions for OTL and ATL maps.

btw, I already have Amazonian natives and Cerrado natives as specific colours. But post-colonial colours might also be appropriate, unless those ones could also double for post-colonial (as Peru does).

Galapagos is one of those "other Pacific Island" colours. OTL, It's questionable whether it would even be able to support a human civilisation more complicated than hunter-gatherer-fishers. ATL, it's about as probable as Lemuria or Mu.

Oh, you already have an Amazonia/Amazon natives color. Sorry, my brain isn't functioning today! A Nazca/Atacama/Northern Chile color would be nice. Such a color could easily be used for all three functions for OTL and ATL maps.

I do have a light blue "Aymara" colour. Does that do th job, or is there a concurrent Aymara nation and Nazca nation?

Not counting OTL nations, in South America I currently have:

• independent Cayenne (ex-French Guiana)
  • Amazonian native state
  • Cerrado native state
  • Aymara/ASB South America
  • Mapuche/Patagonia
  • independent Falkland Isles

So far, the only OTL situation that wouldn't be possible with the current palette (outside of using generic "rebellion" colours) is that four months when both the Riograndese Republic and its northern neighbour were in rebellion against Brazil.

Last edited:
If Acre can have it's own color then surely Riograndese Republic also deserve it since it existed as an independent state three times longer.

Acre could also serve as a generic upper Amazon state, and FARC could also serve as other South American rebel group. As well as Riograndense, I still think a northern Chilean/Atacama state would be a good addition (wrong place for Nazca, wasn't very awake when I was researching yesterday).

Last edited:
I'll probably go with the following list of non-OTL nations in South America:

• independent Cayenne (ex-French Guiana)
  • Upper Amazonian state (e.g., Acre) [some kind of yellow colour?]
  • Lower Amazonian native state (e.g., Tupi people, Conf. of the Equator) [keep existing colour]
  • Cerrado native state (e.g., Ge people); S. American communists [keep existing colour]
  • South coastal state in Brazil (e.g., Riograndese Rep.) [new colour]
  • east/SE coastal state in Brazil (e.g., Juliana Rep.) [new colour]
  • Aymara/ASB South America
  • Mapuche/Patagonia
  • independent Falkland Isles

grey = new text; blue = new entry

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VLCIuZvGZ.../VeJLQU90UTk/s1600/language-map-new-world.jpg
http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/karten/amer/samerim.htm (http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/karten/amer/samerifa.jpg)
http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/karten/amer/namerim.htm (http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/karten/amer/namerifa.jpg)

I'm not sure about FARC having a colour, although the an existing colour (probably Cerrado, as that is the least likely in my opinion to OTL have nationhood) could quite easily double as generic South American communists. FARC is revolutionary, not secessionist, so their geographical extent would be identical to the current national borders. I am trying to minimise the number of "like OTL, but different politics" colours.

Sounds like a plan! Also, is there an archive from previous updates on Deviantart? I don't know why, but I love seeing the evolution of things like this.

Sounds like a plan! Also, is there an archive from previous updates on Deviantart? I don't know why, but I love seeing the evolution of things like this.

I have copies of older versions on my local hard drive. As far as I know, deviantart overwrites the older versions when I upload new ones, and keeps no online archive of them.

I'd just like to say, as a user of the Polandball Wiki, I burst out laughing when we were cited.

You're welcome! Well, as an anthropology student (and a native Sami, rock on!), I think Polandball shows the current state of the world quite well. But let's try to stay on topic here with FARC. I think FARC's color would be just fine doubling as Cerrado native state/South American communist state. The only reason I stress its inclusion is because non-sovereign entities like ISIS are included, and FARC is perhaps the oldest currently active non-sovereign entity, having been around since the 1960s

I think another area that could use more colors is East Africa. Entities that I can think of are Darfur, Ogaden/Interior Somali state, and Puntland. Historically Darfur has been an on-off nation in western Sudan, and it's inclusion would make possible a more complete African map before the Scramble for Africa. The Ogaden region of Ethiopia has been vying for independence for years, in order to form an interior Somali republic. Puntland is yet another Somali state that declared independence in 1991, but unlike it's neighbor Somaliland, Puntland was reintegrated into Somalia in 1998.

You're welcome! Well, as an anthropology student (and a native Sami, rock on!), I think Polandball shows the current state of the world quite well. But let's try to stay on topic here with FARC. I think FARC's color would be just fine doubling as Cerrado native state/South American communist state. The only reason I stress its inclusion is because non-sovereign entities like ISIS are included, and FARC is perhaps the oldest currently active non-sovereign entity, having been around since the 1960s

Just to be clear, there is not and will not be a FARC colour. At most, there will be a note that another colour can double for South American communists. FARC is not getting a colour, because even were they to achieve their goals, they would simply be "Colombia, but communist", and I am trying to minimise the number of "$state, but $ideology" colours. Given that FARC is outside the geographical scope of the Cerrado, I'm not even sure I would give it a specific namedrop, as it might otherwise confuse people as to the geographical scope; "Cerrado" is a less-well-known term than "FARC", and people would be likely to miss it, then end up thinking that the Cerrado is somewhere in Colombia.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, there is not and will not be a FARC colour. At most, there will be a note that another colour can double for South American communists. FARC is not getting a colour, because even were they to achieve their goals, they would simply be "Colombia, but communist", and I am trying to minimise the number of "$state, but $ideology" colours. Given that FARC is outside the geographical scope of the Cerrado, I'm not even sure I would give it a specific namedrop, as it might otherwise confuse people as to the geographical scope; "Cerrado" is a less-well-known term than "FARC", and people would be likely to miss it, then end up thinking that the Cerrado is somewhere in Colombia.

I actually had to look it up, but your right. Cerrado is nowhere near Colombia. I thought it was in the northwest corner of Brazil, but it turns out to be south-central Brazil. Anyways, even though I will use the Cerrado color in my CM series five for FARC, I will not push its official inclusion any more.

Have you given any thought to to my East African suggestions?

• Darfur, western Sudanese state
  • Ogaden, other East African state
  • Puntland, tertiary Somali state

Also, just north of there in Egypt, I have a slight name suggestion:

• upper Egyptian state (i.e. Nubia), independent Bir Tawil
Nubia is the best example of an "upper Egyptian state," and the region may become independent in the next 50 years. Bir Tawil, although the area will unlikely ever become independent, is still such an oddity that it could be given a color between Sudan and Egypt, which "upper Egyptian state" already has, to reflect its Antarctic-like entity status. A lot of ATL's have an independent Bir Tawil as well.

Last edited:
Here's a sampler of what's changed in the South America palette.

South America.png

I decided the Amazonia colour would be best used for upper Amazonia, allowing it to double as FARC without raising awkward geography questions (and simultaneously taking advantage of the red = communist rubric). The new lower Amazonia colour is in fact one of the old UCS Brazil colours.