The Policeman's Truncheon: A Collaborative TL

"I... I worry that circumstances... circumstances are prompting the President to act without caution... and I really think we should re-consider this, er... bill."

-Henry Jackson, in a press conference (April 22, 1972)

"We need to do more to fight the spread of Communist subversives or... or their sympathizers, so I... I support this bill."

-George Wallace, in an interview (April 21, 1972)

Conversation between President Agnew, White House Chief of Staff Haldeman (April 23, 1972)

Haldeman: "...-water, and Kennedy."

Agnew: "But we've still got a clear majority?"

Haldeman: "I should say so, sir... but, um, well... it could change at any time."

Agnew: "Of course, I... I meant in the sense that, hypothetically... we'd get it passed?"

Haldeman: "Yes, sir."

Telephone conversation between Senator Howard Baker, Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott (April 25, 1972)

Baker: "... sorry, Hugh, but, er... I have no choice.

Scott: "If you go through with this, Howard, you will forever be remembered as a pariah... you won't win re-election this year, or in 1980... this will end your career as a Republican."

Baker: "Goodbye, Scott."

Scott: "Mother-"

[Baker hangs up]

July 13th, 1972:
I am glad to accept the nomination of this party for President, and, with Senator Bayh at my side, I am confident that we will fight a good fight.

- George McGovern

"While I am not doubting the competency of President Agnew... I feel that the bill as proposed by him... will endanger the preservation of certain laws as highlighted within our Constitution... and therefore, I have little choice but to filibuster the vote..."

-Howard Baker (April 28, 1972)

Conversation between President Agnew, White House Chief of Staff Haldeman (April 28, 1972)

Agnew: "Who the [CENSORED] does this mother[CENSORED] think he is! I... I am the President weeks, I mean [CENSORED] weeks after Nixon was killed, and... and he's filibustering?"

Haldeman: "Sir-"

Agnew: "Fix this!"

Senator Baker's filibuster of the Public Safety and National Policing Act (April 29, 1972)

"My fellow Senators... it is, indeed, a hard time for our great country... less than a month ago, our President, Richard Nixon, was assassinated... his Vice President, Spiro Agnew, has taken office... and has acted efficiently and competently in his quest to keep the peace... and the law.

"Yes, this
is about the law... the last ten years or so, have been marked by political violence... by racially incited riots... by increasing polarization... I stand by our valiant officers of the law, and their dutiful service to our country.

"But we have to consider... why
are they putting on their uniforms every morning, going out on patrol... endangering their very lives? Why do they protect and serve? Because it's not only about the safety of our citizens... it is about the safety of our laws... such which have been passed down from generation to generation, beginning at a convention in Philadelphia in 1787.

"Any publicly elected or appointed official, such as myself, take an oath of office... President Agnew took an oath of office, and it included: 'to preserve, protect, and defend, the Constitution of the United States.' and while I trust in him to abide by his Oath, this Act is
not compatible with our most fundamental laws.

"Are we, in the midst of fear... allow ourselves to drift away from what we have striven to protect? Are we, in the midst of lawlessness... allow ourselves to open the door for lawlessness, in simply a different form?

"My fellow Senators..."

Live televised debate between Attorney General Mitchell and Congressman Udall (April 29, 1972)

Mitchell: "I... I'm not going to try to defame Mr Udall, but... well, I believe that the opposition of Mr... Mr Udall, as well as Mr Baker, who's entering, the... the fourth hour of his filibuster, are unfounded."

Udall: "How... how come?"

Mitchell: "Well... there's nothing really unconstitutional about the, Public Safety Act... we are not repealing any Fifth Amendment or Eighth Amendment rights... we are simply trying to eliminate bureaucracy."

Udall: "Well, I'm sure... but, but I've reviewed the Act... and, um, if you look at Title IV, it clearly states that: 'Officers of law enforcement will not be subject to oversight or instruments of accountability while an investigation is in progress.' I... I mean, it's pretty clear that this open the door for a police state."

Mitchell: "I... I think that's an exaggeration or... or an overreaction... because the purpose of Title IV is... is to allow investigators to, to not be blocked when they're trying to do their... their jobs."

Udall: "And I'm sympathetic, but there's a reason procedures are in place... accountability is necessary, and sometimes it may seem bad, but without... it, well, we're just letting them get out of hand."

Oh god. I can't imagine the police brutality that would allow.
With accountability procedures allowed for when the investigations conclude, it'll only end up being a massive clusterfuck. At least before the police adhere to the rules for all conduct. "We're giving you free reign, but afterwards we'll come at you like a ton of bricks."

With accountability procedures allowed for when the investigations conclude, it'll only end up being a massive clusterfuck. At least before the police adhere to the rules for all conduct. "We're giving you free reign, but afterwards we'll come at you like a ton of bricks."

Yes, exactly

Conversation between President Agnew and White House Chief of Staff Haldeman (August 30, 1972)

Haldeman: "Sir, Baker stepped down."

Agnew: "Great... what's it been twelve hours?"

Haldeman: "Eleven hours and forty one minutes."

Agnew: "The vote will take place later?"

Haldeman: "Yes, sir, the President pro tempore has decided that it would be best."

Agnew: "Fine... I'm going to bed."

Haldeman: "OK."