• Frederick Barbarossa

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • El Cid

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longsword14

Banned
Subutai did not engage with the state's west of Iraq and nor did he attack the highly fortified positions of the Hashashin which likely (as it did Hulagu) perturbed him and made him weary. It was very unlikely for the Mongols to take Alamut without help from the Abbasids and a guarantee of non aggression, which during Subutai's life could not be obtained. The fact Subutai did not actively seek war with the Abbasids casts doubt to his military prowess.

Subutai never invaded India proper.

Timur on the other hand defeated the Ottomans at their very height who also had superior weaponary. He also further dislodged the Knights at Smryna, defeated the Burji Mamluks in Syria, rampaged across the Caucus, defeated the famed Tokhtamush at multiple locations sacking Sarai, Astrakhan, Azov, etc... Further his invasion of India was a spectacle just as his descendant Babur would be.

The only thing I can give Subutai over Timur is his skill away from supply and his achievements against Chinese and European foes. However, I would argue that Timur was the far more fearsome and talented entity.
Subutai though never was a political animal with his work in conquering. Timur Chingis is a better comparision. Do detailed records of battles exist for each? If I had them at hand ( and they were reliable) then comparision between Subutai and Timur could be definitely made. Rating Subutai low because the thrust of Mongol operations was not towards places Timur attacked is not a good basis for criticism.
Comparison could be done only if detailed information were at hand. When you say China, how difficult was it for the Song to be conquered. What was Subutai's contribution.

Another vote for Heraclius, Emperor of the Romans. It is a shame though that he does not get the same attention as others because of what happened after the Sassanid defeat.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity who do you rate higher Saladin or Baibars?

In terms of a commander and skill at battle alone, I would say Saladdin, mainly because the main battle for Baibars was Ain Jalut which was also attended by his comrade and exceptionally skilled patrón Qutuz. Saladdin's victories against the crusaders make him the pillar of anti crusader-Muslim generals and rulers.

However in terms of who was the more dangerous and fearsome ruler and political opponent, that goes to Baibars, one of the cruelest and frankly honor less rulers I have read on in Islamic history. This can be seen by his removal of the phenomenal Qutuz.

While not the top, I would give Richard 1 Plantagenet an honourable mention. He at least seemed to realise that logistics were important, hence not attempting Jerusalem.

Not an expert on the era, but Jan Žižka never lost a battle, fighting in the Hussite Wars.

I'm seconding this. He gets a lot of bonus points for being so innovative. If I remember correctly he invented the Hussite wagon fortresses and also was one of the first to use field artillery in combat.

From 800-1300, you can include some of the Viking jarls that swept through Europe - maybe the leaders of the great heathen army which conquered most of England and ravaged the British Isles - supposedly Ivarr, Halfdan and Ubba Ragnarsson. Richard I was a fine commander as well.

Comparison could be done only if detailed information were at hand. When you say China, how difficult was it for the Song to be conquered. What was Subutai's contribution.

Subutai the Valiant by Richard Gabriel is the best book on the subject. Subutai during the China campaign led a feint attack in Northern China that helped the Mongols breakthrough the Great Wall and later oversaw the capture of Nanking.
https://books.google.com/books?id=XXWFca82UvYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Subotai+the+Valiant&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk9dCXxJPOAhWF1B4KHa-uCM4Q6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=Subotai the Valiant&f=false

I'm gonna go on a limb and nominate Lé Loi who liberated Vietnam in 1416-1427.

Amazing work in propaganda, guerilla tactics and all

By diplomacy,not by the feat of arms,so he's an excellent diplomat.

Agreed. Though I think it still counts on some level, he organized and field a significant army despite Papal and Templar opposition. In effect he scared the Ayyubids into peace, had they not accepted I think he would have been able to conquer Jerusalem anyway. I suppose this shows command ability rather then battlefield skill since they didn't actually fight.

I agree Richard I was a fine commander but he definitely isnt one of the best.
Victorious, valorous, tactically adept in both siege and open warfare and with a masterful grasp of logistics. Strategically aware enough to not try and take Jerusalem when he couldn't hold it. I think he's up there for consideration.

A lot of king were called victorious and valorous at that time there also is the fact that a lot of king did jack shit but serve as inspiration for their troop and their subordinate did the job and we see them today as great and valorous king.

Agreed. Though I think it still counts on some level, he organized and field a significant army despite Papal and Templar opposition. In effect he scared the Ayyubids into peace, had they not accepted I think he would have been able to conquer Jerusalem anyway. I suppose this shows command ability rather then battlefield skill since they didn't actually fight.
He's a competent commander,but by no means one of the best.The Lombard League gave him a severe beating.

Actually,I think we are all forgetting someone,El Cid,he should be considered as a contender as well.

Victorious, valorous, tactically adept in both siege and open warfare and with a masterful grasp of logistics. Strategically aware enough to not try and take Jerusalem when he couldn't hold it. I think he's up there for consideration.

Philip II I think falls into this category as well, battlefield victory at Bouvines and siege of Chateau Gaillard. Anyone have a preference between Richard and Philip?