Maps and Graphics forum created

Long overdue indeed, though I still think we need to do a couple of slight tweaks to help with the resources. Specifically a new RCS series basemap discussion thread (I've just brought this up in the current one to see if there are objections), and one which needs a bit more open talk which is to replace the other two threads which have become 'post maps of OTL history you find on the web' with a single thread linking back to those two.

I do also agree that we now need to clarify exactly what this subforum is about. For example, would flags and maps specifically created for TLs on this site be able to go here, whereas one off scenarios would go in maps and graphics? Do we post user created maps/flags based on descriptions from published AH here? What Martin's brought up regarding the placement of discussion in fictional timelines also needs to be adressed, and to take Lord of the Rings for example, there's a definate difference between, for example, discussing what would have happened if Bilbo hadn't told Gollum his surname and homeland, and having Mordor, Isengard and the Misty Mountains ISOTd to 1200ad Europe, not to mention the PoDs in fictional books.

I think I'd personally support the split between here for 'everything operates as described in the original work' and ASB for 'this would be physically impossible even in the fictional universe'.

I think ASB would be fine without the fictional stuff. Geological and nonsensical PoDs would be left, and the latter is OK.

Maybe allow people to post frivolous stuff again? Stuff like "USA vs. USB peripherals"? That would allow more activity. Currently its all squashed in one thread.

This is what the description says:

Description of Books and Media said:
Talk about published works of alternate history and post reviews and opinions on them. Discuss, rate, and post links to AH sites on the web.

So, I don't think so.
Besides, for "USA vs. USB peripherals", there's the frivolous ASB thread for that.

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
Wow, it's finally happened.

Just as a thought: now that Books and Media has been gutted how about formally moving the "Alternate histories taking place in fictional universes (Star Wars, etc)." from ASB into the new Books and Media? It seems a more natural place: to keep all discussion of or about published works in one forum. Though it might end up severely reducing ASB instead....

I mean at the moment I foresee problems in the split between B&M and ASB - the first two threads in B&M at the moment (The Eugenics Wars-A Brief History and TL 191 WI: No Mormon or Congaree rebellions in First Great War) surely fit into the Alternate histories taking place in fictional universes description for ASB don't they? Why is a timeline/discussion in the Star Trek universe in B&M, when a timeline set in the Star Wars universe is given as the typical example for what goes in ASB?

It's Alternate History Books and Media. Star Wars isn't AH in the first place.

The intent of the Books and Media forum is basically to discuss AH that's not from this site. I suppose that can include making timelines based on it.

However, timelines based on something that was never AH in the first place, like Star Wars and Star Trek, definitely go in ASB.

Talk about a historic moment. I wouldn't have thought this would occur as early as this. :eek: Guess I'll have to update AH.com's chronology page now with this important milestone. :D

But, honestly, thank you, Ian. :)

I think this is really a good decision in the long-run. It will certainly allow for less clutter in the Books and Media forum and prevent it from turning into a dumping ground for threads that don't fit elsewhere.

Thanks again. :)

You miss the point. We was talking about what to do with ASB after moving all fiction-based TLs to Books and Media.

Yeah, but you missed my point when I pointed out that Books and Media isn't where fiction-based TLs should be moved. Either it should stay in ASB or it should be moved into Writer's Forum.

If you go ahead and publish your fiction-based TL, sure it can be in Books and Media, but other than that, it doesn't belong here.

It's Alternate History Books and Media. Star Wars isn't AH in the first place.

The intent of the Books and Media forum is basically to discuss AH that's not from this site. I suppose that can include making timelines based on it.

However, timelines based on something that was never AH in the first place, like Star Wars and Star Trek, definitely go in ASB.

That makes perfect sense, and was what I was assuming was the case.
So to put it simply (and correct me if I'm dumbing it down too much): This forum for, and only for, media that would be in the 'Alternate History' section in a bookshop (or video store etc..).

So I assume the following threads should be moved from B&M to ASB then?
(just picking off the front page):

• 28 Days Later outbreak timeline - Death of a Nation
  • Game of Thrones-History Class
  • The Borg Somehow Assimilate a Q? (Star Trek)
  • The Eugenics Wars-A Brief History (Star Trek)
  • How do you prefer your Eugenics Wars? (Star Trek)
  • Give Me That Known World Religion (Game of Thrones)
Since none of those really strike me as being primarily AH works.

Also, the threads about videogames:

• Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)
  • Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013
  • etc
Should be moved to NP-Chat I assume?

For far too long the Books and Media section has basically been the forum dumping-ground for 'miscellaneous' threads, I'm just doing my best to sort though to get back to it's real purpose.

Yeah, but you missed my point when I pointed out that Books and Media isn't where fiction-based TLs should be moved. Either it should stay in ASB or it should be moved into Writer's Forum.

If you go ahead and publish your fiction-based TL, sure it can be in Books and Media, but other than that, it doesn't belong here.
You're advocating essentially abandoning Books and Media. We need to keep the forum relevant to many AH.commers.

You're advocating essentially abandoning Books and Media. We need to keep the forum relevant to many AH.commers.

And I agree. There are already some vibrant new efforts over there to bring back its original primary function. Including talk of starting an AH book club.

The thing is, this is an Alternate History forum not fanfiction.net or whatever. It's perfectly sensible for Ian to have a section focused only on published Alternate History and demote the Star Trek and Game of Thrones threads to a different section.

In my opinion the hundreds of posts about unrelated fiction are great, but they're not the primary focus of the site. Compare to the Shared Worlds stuff. Another forum for general fiction threads and timelines seperate from ASB would be great, but given we've just had the first new forum created for as far back as I remember it might be a bit too much to ask right now.

but given we've just had the first new forum created for as far back as I remember

You probably don't remember very well :)
The last significant subforum reorganization was in Shared Worlds, around August 2011. Nation Games, Moderated Games and Map Games subforums were all, AFAIK, created on that day.
The Forum Rules and Administration subforum also, IIRC, dates from well after you joined (just checked and it was November 2010).

The last significant subforum reorganization was in Shared Worlds, around August 2011. Nation Games, Moderated Games and Map Games subforums were all, AFAIK, created on that day.
The Forum Rules and Administration subforum also, IIRC, dates from well after you joined (just checked and it was November 2010).

But those are subforums, rather than full forums.

As Alex said, perhaps I should have specified the first new discussion forum. Still, the point stands that the creation of new forums (of any type) happens less than once a year, if that, and there hasn't been a change as major as the new M&G for a considerable time. So getting any more would be rather unlikely, if history is anything to go by.