Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

My apologies! The way you wrote that made me think you grew up in that state. I consider myself corrected.

it's no problem at all, don't worry about it.

Let's see if I get the regional voting blocs right, the democrats have thier traditional heartland in pennsylvania, virginia, kentucky, wabash etc. at the same time the federalists own massachusetts, rhode island, new york city, philadelphia, etc.

Glen

it's no problem at all, don't worry about it.

Let's see if I get the regional voting blocs right, the democrats have thier traditional heartland in pennsylvania, virginia, kentucky, wabash etc. at the same time the federalists own massachusetts, rhode island, new york city, philadelphia, etc.

Well, yes, though the states east of the Mississippi are starting to swing more Federalist as they grow.

Glen

Possibly I'm wrong but Les Masses Misérables has me thinking of both Metropolis and 1984. Thinking more of the latter initially because of the police state and grim ending but then never actually seen the former.

Steve

Glen

Glen

Possibly I'm wrong but Les Masses Misérables has me thinking of both Metropolis and 1984. Thinking more of the latter initially because of the police state and grim ending but then never actually seen the former.

Steve

It is very much the Metropolis of this TL with a bit of Soylent Green thrown in.

From what OTL film did you get those pictures? They match your story perfectly. Also, gotta love those polemic pre-Codes films of OTL and ITTL. Though in this more classically liberal USA there'll likely be less censorship.

Glen

From what OTL film did you get those pictures? They match your story perfectly.

Indeed they do. They are from Metropolis. It was the first movie I looked at for pics and it just worked out perfectly.

Also, gotta love those polemic pre-Codes films of OTL and ITTL. Though in this more classically liberal USA there'll likely be less censorship.

Yep and probably yep.

How does the developing U.S. labor movement fit in with the existing party system? I don't think either party is comfortably left-labor, but I see the U.S. labor movement staying in a sort of voluntarist setup similar to the old AFL (ensure that the government sets up fair collective bargaining, and stays the hell out of the way) and thus falls more into the Democratic camp.

Glen

How does the developing U.S. labor movement fit in with the existing party system? I don't think either party is comfortably left-labor,

Awkwardly at the moment, as neither are left-labor as you say. On the plus side, at this time both the Democrats and Federalists are fishing for the labor vote, so both are paying attention to it, but from different philosophical approaches. Stay tuned....

but I see the U.S. labor movement staying in a sort of voluntarist setup similar to the old AFL (ensure that the government sets up fair collective bargaining, and stays the hell out of the way) and thus falls more into the Democratic camp.

That is certainly a real possibility, and as you say, would go more with the Democratic camp.

Glen

In the wake of the Sepoy Uprising and the transfer of India from the British East India Company to the British Crown in the late 1850s, along with the start of the Hispaniola Dominion, some believed that the answer to the India question was Dominion status as well (following much of the same rationale expressed by the Third Baron Dorchester when he advocated in his report after the Slaver Uprising for the establishment of the Dominion of Southern America). However, as complex as the politics and negotiations had been for the establishment of the Dominion of Southern America had been, the situation on the Indian Subcontinent was infinitely more convoluted. Various advocates were still debating the feasibility and mechanics of such an endeavor when in 1870 the Dominion of Hispaniola failed and was eventually incorporated into the DSA, which had a chilling effect on establishing another British Dominion, especially on such a massive scale and with such challenges. However, the few true believers in Dominion did not fully lose faith, and for a half century from the time of becoming a Crown Colony, the dream of Dominion continued in their minds and hearts. Others pursued the even more radical fever dream of full independence, though most believed this would lead to the fragmentation of the subcontinent into dozens if not hundreds of squabbling principalities. Since the hand-over of India to Her Imperial Majesty Elizabeth II's government from the failed East India Company, the governance of India had gradually shifted from exploitation to cooperative development. English was solidified as the Lingua Franca of the Indian population (who otherwise were divided by hundreds of languages and dialects). India was stalwart in support of Britain in the Global War, but afterwards, more people called for rewarding the Indians with greater self-governance, and the call for Dominion status for India. There were several potential models proposed to base a Dominion of India upon, such as the DSA, the patchwork of kingdoms, principalities, and republics comprising the Empire of Germany, or even the successful Asian model of the United States of China. All combined disparate cultures, religions, peoples, and even types of governments on the local level, giving some hope to a similar success in a Dominion of India. Eventually it was moved to establish a combination of provinces and principalities with local parliaments, coordinated by a Dominion bicameral parliament many ways similar to Westminster with a House of Commons and House of Lords (for the leaders of the Princely States). The British Sovereign would appoint a Governor to represent them as head of state. The Commons would be elected on a proportional representation model, as no two parties as common in the rest of the democratic world would be able to represent the myriad interests of the subcontinent. A Declaration of Rights would be enshrined as part of the agreement for consolidation as a Dominion, paramount protecting freedom of religion (here more along the lines of the United States of America and the United States of China) as a necessary prerequisite to prevent fractures along religious lines. While a kludge of many different models and concepts, by 1911 an agreement was in place and the Dominion of India was born.

Site of the final Indian Dominion Conference
640px-University_of_Calcutta_cropped.JPG

Finally, India becomes its own Dominion. About dang time, if you ask me. Now who's next? ;)

Incidentally, how is the United States of China doing since the end of the Global War? IIRC they were in the Liberal bloc.

Glen

Finally, India becomes its own Dominion. About dang time, if you ask me. Now who's next? ;)

Incidentally, how is the United States of China doing since the end of the Global War? IIRC they were in the Liberal bloc.

They are and they are doing swimmingly!

They are and they are doing swimmingly!

Very nice. Two other questions;

1) ISTR that the United States of China coincided with OTL's Taipeng rebellion area. Was this coincidental? Because I don't remember seeing any references to that movement in its formation, and

2) How big a part did India play in the Global War, given its more Eurocentric AOR (to get back to the Indian subject)?

Fantastic stuff! A Dominion of India is born.

I must stop daydreaming that I rather wish your TL had come to pass, even if a PoD so long ago would butterfly the very thought of me away...

Glen

Very nice. Two other questions;

1) ISTR that the United States of China coincided with OTL's Taipeng rebellion area. Was this coincidental? Because I don't remember seeing any references to that movement in its formation, and

Not coincidence but not Taipeng either. Rather, the same preconditions that set the stage for Taipeng OTL set the stage ITTL for the Southern Chinese Revolution. There are several parallels between the two, but also several differences.

2) How big a part did India play in the Global War, given its more Eurocentric AOR (to get back to the Indian subject)?[/QUOTE]

Glen

A North American saying - "As straight as thirty-six thirty!"

This saying is common in both the USA and the DSA, referencing their shared border at 36 degrees, 30 minutes. Used to indicate an honest and true person, object, or deal.

A North American saying - "As straight as thirty-six thirty!"

This saying is common in both the USA and the DSA, referencing their shared border at 36 degrees, 30 minutes. Used to indicate an honest and true person, object, or deal.

Neat! Would a Southroner use this term as well, or just the Americans?