Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Mexican flag... this time a flag for Zapatista Anarchist Rebels.
AnarchistMexico_zps3e71b39f.png

* Translation: Justice, Land, Liberty

Continuing from this and this, here are the non-communist African states. Couple of notes: the North African states are considered ITTL to be part of the Arab world, rather than part of Africa; Kasai and Kongo are effectively Portuguese projects, though on the ground that's done quite well for both of them; Oubangi-Chari is analagous to OTL Central Africa; Sokoto is more or less northern OTL Nigeria, while Nigeria remains a Commonwealth Realm, with Elizabeth II as Queen; Eritrea and Somalia have relatively positive memories of their time under the Italian, contrasted strongly with the rather rapacious British occupation, and maintain close ties with Italy - Italian is a common second language; Togo is both British and French Togoland, with Asanteman and Gold Coast being the other elements of OTL's Ghana.

Flag Panel - Non-Communist Africa.png

Very nice set.

How did you come up with Volta's flag?

I was inspired by the OTL flags of Upper Volta and modern South Africa. Upper Volta's flag was a tricolour representing the three branches of the Volta River, so I adapted that along the South African model - the flag here shows the three branches becoming one, with is also representative of the many ethnic groups uniting as Voltains. The colours are the pan-African ones, ITTL strongly associated with the hard left, as, though Volta is not part of the communist bloc, its leadership is broadly leftist.

I was inspired by the OTL flags of Upper Volta and modern South Africa. Upper Volta's flag was a tricolour representing the three branches of the Volta River, so I adapted that along the South African model - the flag here shows the three branches becoming one, with is also representative of the many ethnic groups uniting as Voltains. The colours are the pan-African ones, ITTL strongly associated with the hard left, as, though Volta is not part of the communist bloc, its leadership is broadly leftist.

Very nicely done.

Of course, it would be an easy contender for TTL's AH.com Nordic Cross thread. ;)

Continuing from this, this and this, here are the communist states of Africa. Notes: Gabu, Ghana, Mali and Wassulu are well into the process of uniting. Gabu is OTL's Guinea-Bissau, Ghana is OTL's Senegal, and Wassulu is OTL's Guinea-Conakry. Guinea is a state which stretches from southern Cameroon into Congo-Brazzaville.

Flag Panel - Communist Africa.png

Continuing from this and this, here are the non-communist African states. Couple of notes: the North African states are considered ITTL to be part of the Arab world, rather than part of Africa; Kasai and Kongo are effectively Portuguese projects, though on the ground that's done quite well for both of them; Oubangi-Chari is analagous to OTL Central Africa; Sokoto is more or less northern OTL Nigeria, while Nigeria remains a Commonwealth Realm, with Elizabeth II as Queen; Eritrea and Somalia have relatively positive memories of their time under the Italian, contrasted strongly with the rather rapacious British occupation, and maintain close ties with Italy - Italian is a common second language; Togo is both British and French Togoland, with Asanteman and Gold Coast being the other elements of OTL's Ghana.

The one of Asanteman is very, very nice!!! And all others too...

Continuing from this, this and this, here are the communist states of Africa. Notes: Gabu, Ghana, Mali and Wassulu are well into the process of uniting. Gabu is OTL's Guinea-Bissau, Ghana is OTL's Senegal, and Wassulu is OTL's Guinea-Conakry. Guinea is a state which stretches from southern Cameroon into Congo-Brazzaville.

I like the one of Mali most, and the wavy star in Zambia's is cool as well.

This is an alternate flag of Turkey. It's a compromise between the Turkish nationalists and those who were supportive of the Ottoman government ITTL's Turkish Civil War. It has a more pan-Turkic sort of feel.

Kingdom-of-Turkey.jpg

Last edited:
Cross-posting from the request thread, since this one gets more traffic:

Can I get a flag for an independent Madras?

It will have gained its independence from Britain along with several other Indian states in the 50s.

Here is a map of the situation at independence. Madras is the orange one opposite Sri Lanka, in case you need to know.

attachment.php

Could someone design me an Irish Commonwealth Japan flag? In my timeline Ireland formed and became a colonial power, taking advantage of the disunity of Japans dynasties to conquer the islands. At the end of the First World War Japan is granted dominion as a member of the Irish Commonwealth.

Nietzsche

Banned
Could someone design me an Irish Commonwealth Japan flag? In my timeline Ireland formed and became a colonial power, taking advantage of the disunity of Japans dynasties to conquer the islands. At the end of the First World War Japan is granted dominion as a member of the Irish Commonwealth.
I cannot help but feel this 'Irish Empire' or Commonwealth is going to turn into anything more than 'Japan with more potatoes'.

Continuing from this, this, this, and this, and after advice in a smaller format for easier viewing, here are the flags of the Arab world ITTL.

Hassania is roughly OTL Mauretania. North Morocco and Saharaui are respectively Spanish Morocco and Spanish Sahara - both are more or less Francoist republics, with Spain's Christianity replaced with Islam. South Arabia, Syria and the UAR are all in the Communist bloc, but all cordially hate one another. Syria is quite self-contained, while the UAR and South Arabia have expansionist ideas - but the former is fairly weak and well-contained, while the latter has expanded, encompassing OTL Egypt, Libya and elements of north Sudan. The UAE managed to convince Bahrain and Qatar to sign on, and is strongly aligned with the British. The Arab Federation is the union of the Kingdoms of Jordan and Iraq, the former of which contains the province of Palestine, and the latter Kuwait - it is a strong US and European ally, extremely concerned by the presence of Communist states on three borders - the UAR to the southwest, Syria in the north, and Kurdistan in the northeast. Saudi Arabia has never gained the prominence or wealth of OTL.

Flag Panel - Arab World - Smaller.png

Good call on the smaller image, and nice flags.

Cheers. I might do a round-up post at some point with smaller versions of the previously posted images.

Random side-note - ITTL, there's no State of Israel, and six-pointed stars are seen as Islamic symbols as much as anything else outside the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.