I now find myself responding to even more posts than I did previously! :eek: But I very much appreciate your enthusiasm, and I can promise you that it will not go unrewarded!

Can't wait to enter '77 Brainbin. Bet you have some great ideas planned.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Technically we've already entered 1977, but the remainder of the year should be full of surprises! :D

THE OBSERVER said:
But please make sure that "Dallas" stays the same as OTL. Don't, I repeat, don't do anything.
I think you ought to know by now that I don't take well to such demands ;)

Memory is not always accurate. While reading the thread I got interested in looking up information on OTL Genesis II. To my surprise Wikipedia says there were two pilots TV movies for it and the second one was called Planet Earth. I only remember one. But in my memory it starred John Saxon and it had Mariette Hartley with two navels. But Saxon was in Planet Earth, while Hartley with two navels was in Genesis II. But I remember watching one film. Plus this isn't like I was real young in grade school. I saw Genesis II the spring of my senior year in High School and Planet Earth the spring of my freshman year in college. Yet my memory has conflated two events separated by a year into one.
This memory conflation is ridiculously common - it's closely related to the similar problem of "remembering" nonexistent events couched in a veneer of plausibility. Groucho and his "I like my cigar, but I take it out my mouth every once in a while", for example. (It never happened.) Johnny Carson and "I'd love to if you'd move that darn cat". (Also never happened.) With regards to what ITTL is known as ReGenesis, I'm aware that it was (more or less) successfully adapted into Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, but frankly I don't think it would have done very well in the time and place in which it was originally pitched. The Questor Tapes, on the other hand, is much more in keeping with the "Walking the Earth" sub-genre that was very popular at the time, so it was much more of a no-brainer to keep on the air. And with the end of The Way of the Warrior, it's now the last show of its kind at what was once known as "the House that Paladin Built", a studio that (re-)built its reputation on well-written action-adventure series.

Asharella said:
My only complaint was that James T. Kirk wasn't quite as cute since he was getting a little fat in the tummy.
The first thing I always notice about the Turd Season is the hair. I guess the first thing to go with the budget cuts was conditioner...

Asharella said:
(Don't think I didn't notice how constant reader questions about certain shows ended up with you doing major explanations about them in TTL- I'm thinking about the Muppets.)
My readers have been very good to me... in most respects :cool:

That was GREAT seeing those old Lois Lane covers. I'm sure I have most of them. (Yes, have. I have all my comics safe and secure in boxes in my closet.)
So you can actually answer some of the questions they pose about what the heck is actually going on in those issues!

Asharella said:
Here's my list of my favorite actresses to play Lois listed in order from best to least favorite.
All right, I'm not nearly the expert on Lois Lanes that I am on James Bonds, but I'll give this a whirl:

Asharella said:
1) Erica Durance. (I wasn't a fan at first, but she grew on me.)
I never really watched Smallville.

Asharella said:
2) Noel Neill (My first Lois and always number one on this list until Erica finally won me over)
Nor The Adventures of Superman. 1950s non-sitcoms aren't very widely syndicated anymore.

Asharella said:
3) Terry Hatcher (She got her name before Clark's! She was a great Lois)
I was a little kid when Lois & Clark was on, and I barely remember it. She seemed fine, I guess. Technically I think she was my first Lois, as I didn't watch the classic movie until I was a bit older. With regards to the placement of her name, it's a pun on the famous explorers Lewis & Clark - I can't say I figured that out until much later on.

Asharella said:
4) Margot Kidder (I never really liked her, but still she seemed to be Lois)
She's the only Lois I can honestly say that I really know. She's not really great, though. Does anyone really like her?

Asharella said:
6) Kate Bosworth (I don't know who this girl was playing, but she wasn't Lois Lane)
Kate Bosworth was everywhere in the mid-2000s. I really don't know why, because she couldn't act to save her life.

Asharella said:
Soon I'll be able to figure out where Amy Adams fits on the list. I like her, but can she be Lois Lane? She seems more like a Lana Lang to me. Oh well.
I've always liked Amy Adams, and I don't doubt that she could pull it off.

Which I am waiting to see. It all way interesting what you come up with.
Thank you, unclepatrick, I appreciate your compliments :)

Let's see, British tv highlights of 1978 include the first broadcast of:

• Blakes 7 - of course.
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • Grange Hill
  • Top Gear - a far more serious programme in those days, long before the advent of Clarkson.
  • Butterflies
  • Return of the Saint
  • Edward & Mrs Simpson
  • James Burke's Connections

It was also the fifteenth anniversary of the first broadcast of Doctor Who.
Now I won't just be covering 1978, of course. You may have noted my tendency to start at some indeterminate point in the past and follow the events up to the "present date" in the cycle. With that in mind, you might want to double-check where I left off in the previous British Telly update.

NCW8 said:
It was also the year that some-one hijacked the sound of the Southern TV broadcast of the ITN news and broadcast a message claiming to be Vrillon of the Intergalactic Association.
Better a space alien than Max Headroom, wouldn't you say? ;)

(Actually: Let him stay dead.:eek: Let Leonard direct.:cool:)
Because, as we all know, directing and acting for the same project are obviously beyond Nimoy's capabilities... ;)

As I check this thread, there's 299,999 views listed. With the view I conducted on the way in to post this, I'd like to be the first to congratulate the Brainbin on his success in getting this to come this far. And just think, all this because of That Wacky Redhead!
And thank you for all the help you've been to this timeline! :)

Nevertheless it can't be long before TWR passes another notable milestone. Congratulations, Brainbin. :cool:
Thanks for sticking around ever since Page One :cool:

It only updates once an hour, so I may not actually be view 300,000. Maybe you are, or maybe the 300,000th view lies within us all. Let us meditate upon this...perhaps it will bring enlightenment? (Or a fresh update!)
I'm pretty sure it was me, actually. I refreshed at 56 minutes past the hour and it was 299,999, so I clicked it once to make sure it would get over!

300,063!:cool::cool:

Congrats, BB.:cool:
Thank you, phx! :)

Connections is one of my most beloved shows of all time. I recall liking both shows, but liking Connections more. Of course, I re-watched Connections fairly recently where as I have not seen Day the Universe Changed in forever, so that may bias me. With space being more in the public interest, I wonder if Burke will even do Connections? He may be more involved in doing space related programming for the BBC and his schedule may not work out to do Connections. Or it might come later. Or it might be more space focused, though at this point Moonshot Lunacy is over with... I guess it largely depends on how much time he spent developing the series and what he did with that time in this timeline.
I speculated a little on this back in May. If ITV broadcast James Doohan's The Final Frontier, then the BBC would be prompted to make their own programme dealing with space and related technologies. Due to his reporting of Apollo, Burke would be the obvious candidate to present that. This would butterfly away his studio-based series, The Burke Special and might cover some of the same ground as Connections.
Obviously, I can't answer your question directly, e_wraith, but I wanted to emphasize that this was indeed a topic of discussion on this thread before.

When will the next update be?
Excellent question! How does Wednesday sound? I could try to rush it for tomorrow, but I wouldn't want to serve any update before its time...

Well Brainbin, with the appointment of Tim Scott to fill the United States Senate seat of Jim DeMint from South Carolina, your scenario has beaten real-life by 36 years in getting the first African-American Senator from the South since Reconstruction! :)

(For those who don't remember, in this timeline Charles Evers was narrowly elected to the Senate from Mississippi in 1976 after a crowded, four-way race in the general election.)
And, in fact, Evers ITTL beats Scott IOTL by 38 years in becoming the first African-American Senator to be elected from the South! Not too shabby, if you ask me :D

Now I won't just be covering 1978, of course. You may have noted my tendency to start at some indeterminate point in the past and follow the events up to the "present date" in the cycle. With that in mind, you might want to double-check where I left off in the previous British Telly update.

Hmm - the last update took us up to the creation of Robin's Nest in 1977. The year of the Queen's Silver Jubilee, and also the first broadcast of:

• Citizen Smith - could be butterflied due to the different political situation
  • Secret Army - great series that sadly has been overshadowed by the parody Allo, Allo
  • Jesus of Navareth - a well-made Anglo-Italian mini-series. The sets in Tunisia were later used to film The Life of Brian

Oh definitely.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Brainbin said:
I never really watched Smallville.
Once you get pat the Superboy vibe, & the changes from the canon I knew, it was pretty good. And it had Kristen Kreuk.:cool::cool:
Brainbin said:
:eek: What's wrong with being 30 minutes into the future?:confused::confused:
Brainbin said:
Because, as we all know, directing and acting for the same project are obviously beyond Nimoy's capabilities... ;)
No, I just think he should stay dead. Unlike some people:rolleyes: (not to mention this guy:p), who just don't know when to quit...:rolleyes:

Thande

Donor

I sympathise. People sometimes don't get this when they read my TL as well: you can't just cover a short specific period, you have to establish the setting first and potentially call forward to later events as well. And more fallow periods with fewer events tend to be put on hold until they can be summarised in the lead-up to a more interesting period.

I sympathise. People sometimes don't get this when they read my TL as well: you can't just cover a short specific period, you have to establish the setting first and potentially call forward to later events as well. And more fallow periods with fewer events tend to be put on hold until they can be summarised in the lead-up to a more interesting period.

Of course - I just thought it would be interesting to look at OTL for a little context.

Mind you, the biggest events in British TV history in the late seventies were probably the worsening industrial relations. There were a number of wildcat stoppages at the BBC in 1978, culminating in a two day strike on the 21/2 December. Next year it got even worse with a strike closing down ITV for ten weeks and and another dispute preventing the filming of the Doctor Who episode Shada.

ITTL, even if Britain has done better economically, it's not going to fix all of the structural problems that led to this unrest. Having a Tory government in place instead of Labour might make things worse as they could encourage the BBC and ITV to take a tougher line against the Unions.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Thande

Donor
Next year it got even worse with a strike closing down ITV for ten weeks and and another dispute preventing the filming of the Doctor Who episode Shada.
An interesting consequence of that was that elements of Shada were recycled by Douglas Adams into Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency so they wouldn't go to waste.

An interesting consequence of that was that elements of Shada were recycled by Douglas Adams into Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency so they wouldn't go to waste.

And some of the filmed scenes were used in the twentieth anniversary special The Five Doctors after Tom Baker declined to take part. He even refused to turn up for some publicity photos, so a waxwork was borrowed from Madame Tussauds (see attachment).

Mind you, Adams also incorporated parts of City of Death into Dirk Gently, so it is possible he would have reused Shada anyway.

Cheers,
Nigel.

fivedoctors.jpg

I speculated a little on this back in May. If ITV broadcast James Doohan's The Final Frontier, then the BBC would be prompted to make their own programme dealing with space and related technologies. Due to his reporting of Apollo, Burke would be the obvious candidate to present that. This would butterfly away his studio-based series, The Burke Special and might cover some of the same ground as Connections.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Obviously, I can't answer your question directly, e_wraith, but I wanted to emphasize that this was indeed a topic of discussion on this thread before.

Oh man, now I have to REMEMBER things? This thread is becoming complicated! ;) I do recall it being mentioned, actually, I didn't recall to how much depth. And that was DECADES ago. At least. People were still walking on the Moon! I'm lucky if I remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Why do I care what I had for lunch yesterday? Hmmm, I don't remember...

I do hope Connections is still made, though, or at least something similar. I've always been a great fan of Burke, so hopefully he will get exposure to the US in some capacity.

Also randomly... The miniseries is an underused format these days, at least on broadcast TV. It allows for such great book adaptations with so much less lost than movies... Winds of War and War and Remembrance would not have been as good were they just movies.

1977-78: Shifting Gears
Shifting Gears (1977-78)

I’m so glad we had this time together,
Just to have a laugh or sing a song.
Seems we just get started, and before you know it,
Comes the time we have to say, so long.

– The Charwoman (Carol Burnett), singing the sign-off theme from The Carol Burnett Show

Television, being an industry dominated by serialized programming, unsurprisingly tended to operate in a cyclical fashion. The annual production seasons made this obvious, of course, but it was also true of overall themes and trends which became associated with the medium in popular culture. The upheaval in the industry at the beginning of the 1970s, with the Rural Purge and the end of the “Classic TV” Era, would lay the groundwork for the many shows which would come to define the decade… but even they would not last forever; and sure enough, by this time, many of them were now coming to an end. The most auspicious finale was that of Those Were the Days, whose ratings had long been in decline, and whose core tenets had been undermined by a seismic shift in the political environment since its début. One of the few constants had been the deteriorating image of New York City, dominated by rampant crime and homelessness, which had spread beyond the core of Manhattan into the suburbs. Thus, the series concluded with Richard and Gloria departing Astoria, Queens, along with their son Michael, to the sunnier pastures of California (as so many Americans before them had done); Richard had accepted tenure at a small liberal arts college in the Bay Area, and Gloria had already arranged for interviews in hoping to secure a new management position at one of any number of the retail establishments there. Archie and Edith, by contrast, were now left alone at 704 Hauser St. The poignant final shot of the series finale framed the two, having retreated to their iconic living room chairs after saying their final goodbyes, and gazing into nothingness, overcome with their emotions, as if thinking “Well, what now?” [1] A wonderfully evocative and ambiguous ending, it seemed to many observers a skewed homage to The Graduate, demonstrating the similarities of
“Empty Nest syndrome”.

Another person who might well have been asking “What now?” was producer Norman Lear. What had once been his defining triumph was now off the air, having barely clung to the bottom rungs of the Top 30 in its final season (bolstered, in fact, by the surprisingly strong ratings for the series finale, without which it likely would not have cleared said threshold). Lear, were he not exceptionally gifted at interpreting the course of events the way he wanted to see them, would probably have taken umbrage: Those Were the Days had been shepherded by its star, Carroll O
’Connor, who had a much more realistic view of the sociopolitical situation, despite his own biases; the show that once trumpeted the supremacy of the Great Society was even forced to acknowledge the upsides of that movement’s opposite and nemesis, Ronald Reagan, when Archie was able to buy into part-ownership of his local watering hole thanks to Ree-gan and his for-small-business initiations”. [2] With regards to the early years of the Gipper’s Presidency, the primary reactions were gloating on the part of Archie and bewilderment on the part of Richard, echoing much of the real-world intelligentsia (including, obviously, Lear himself). Beyond Those Were the Days, even Lear had trouble ignoring that shows reflecting his personal vision were failing to have much staying power. Maude had crashed and burned, and with Those Were the Days off the air, he was already beginning to be seen as something of an anachronism, of the crushing earnestness of the early 1970s. What had once seemed so sophisticated in comparison to the mindless drivel that had come before it was now, in turn, deemed hopelessly naïve.

Meanwhile, Paramount Television found themselves in much the same boat as Lear, facing a mounting perception by outside observers that their time had also passed. It would be the final season for The Bob Newhart Show, which had always flown under the radar in comparison to the more “important” Mary Tyler Moore (not to mention that it did not star the wife of the network’s President). This season did see the launch of the final spinoff from that pioneering series, which (like its predecessors Rhoda and Phyllis) focused on a supporting member of the original cast: irascible workaholic Lou Grant (played by Ed Asner), who moved to Los Angeles with his wife, Edie [3] (played by Priscilla Morrill) to accept a position as City Editor of a (fictional) newspaper serving that area (Grant had been established as having formerly worked in the papers throughout his tenure at WJM-TV). The series was decidedly dramatic in tone, engaging in hard-hitting social commentary at the behest of its star, the very liberal Asner. It was a radical departure from its parent series and both of its sister series, to say the least. Speaking of which, though Phyllis had been cancelled, Rhoda continued to be a smash hit, with viewers dependably tuning in and identifying with the formerly dowdy, single gal made good with her attractive new family; but the producers detested having to take their beloved character – some of them had nurtured her growth ever since The Mary Tyler Moore Show – in that direction. [4] A great many of them would head elsewhere on the Paramount lot; for in addition to Lou Grant, the studio also saw the premiere of a new sitcom, in their traditional low-key, work-oriented, character-based vein: Taxi Drivers. [5]

The 1977-78 season was also the last for The Carol Burnett Show, which had run for over a decade. The eponymous star, a former protégée of Lucille Ball, had chosen to appear in a variety show over the sitcom that she had been offered by the studio chief, and for the most part had been very successful in that endeavour, but her show’s last few seasons had been
challenging. Two of her original castmates, Lyle Waggoner and then Harvey Korman, had departed the series in successive seasons: Waggoner left in 1974, having sought to rekindle his dramatic acting career (he was famously the runner-up for the role of Batman, and might have offered a more “straight” interpretation of the character, had he not lost out to Adam West); Korman inevitably followed in 1975, following his Academy Award win for Best Supporting Actor (which got plenty of mileage on the show proper; even the statuette itself frequently appeared in sketches). [6] 1974 also marked the premiere of The Muppet Show, which would eventually garner the acclaim and popularity necessary to challenge the older show’s supremacy. In the end, it was a classic case of death by a thousand cuts, despite attempts at regrouping by hiring Tim Conway on as a regular starting in 1974, followed by Dick Van Dyke in 1975 (his previous attempt at a comeback sitcom having ended with a whimper). An inspired Gone with the Wind parody (entitled “Went with the Wind”) was a highlight of this otherwise lackluster period for the show; a combination of increasingly poor ratings, and fatigue on the part of Burnett, finally brought about the end. Lucille Ball, returning the favour made by Burnett a decade earlier through her appearance in the series finale of The Lucy Show, was invited to appear as the last official guest of the series. Once Burnett was released from her contract with CBS, Ball immediately began courting her to appear in a sitcom for Desilu. “Honey, as far as I’m concerned, the original offer still stands,” she was quoted as saying. Desilu had reason to be eager to expand their roster of sitcoms, as their last action-adventure series, The Questor Tapes, had fallen out of the Top 30 after four seasons, and the next, its fifth, would almost certainly be the last. Gene Roddenberry, the series creator, was taking things surprisingly well, all things considered; and (perhaps being willfully ignorant of the changes taking place at his longtime studio) he was eager to move on and make new pitches, to the point that he had minimal involvement with the highly-anticipated Star Trek miniseries airing in this season.

Variety shows were hardly limited to either Burnett or the Muppets in the 1970s, the final decade of their prime. An unlikely champion of the genre was Fred Silverman, who had killed off a number of rural-tinged extravaganzas on CBS, only to replace them with more “hip” and “relevant” substitutions, as was his wont wherever he went. One of his great “triumphs”, at least from his perspective, was Donny and Marie, starring two of the kids from the famous Osmond troupe, known for an abundance of teeth… and a modicum of talent. They were also known for their Mormonism, up to and including having supported their coreligionist, Sen. George Romney, in his 1976 Presidential campaign. [7] Detractors of the Osmonds and their white-bread music contrasted them against the Jackson 5, who came from poorer surroundings (the gritty steel mills of Gary, Indiana, as opposed to the squeaky-clean suburban tracts of Ogden, Utah), and yet had much greater talent, not to mention record sales
– both courtesy of the Motown hit machine. But as would become common knowledge in the not-too-distant future, success in the record industry did not automatically translate into success in television. And Donny and Marie were nothing if not a hit – the second-most popular traditional variety show on any network save for The Muppet Show. Although the 1970s continued to see the racial divide breaking down in almost every facet of everyday life, music continued to prove an unusual sticking point. The traditional Soul Train vs. American Bandstand dichotomy endured, with “white music” (originally Prog, but later Punk and New Wave) and “black music” (various post-Funk genres, along with Disco [8]) continuing to stand apart, with attempts at creating a “fusion” genre usually – though not always foundering. Those rare crossover successes of the era would inevitably become major smash hits.

But racial issues and variety television collided in a big way during the 1977-78 season, with the launch of The Richard Pryor Show, starring the controversial provocateur comedian of the same name. It aired on NBC, having followed a successful one-off variety special Pryor had previously done for that network. Obviously, Pryor would not be allowed to adapt his no-holds-barred stand-up comedy (with its notoriously ribald language) directly to the small screen, but he was mostly able to translate its essence, with the help of his writers. However, and just to be on the safe side, the program was aired after the newly-established (and increasingly tenuous) Family Viewing Hour, and started at 10:00 PM, on Tuesday nights. [9] Richard Pryor, like many new shows, initially had some difficulty finding its feet, but quickly settled on a largely sketch-based program, interspersed with stand-up “host” segments by Pryor (who would open and close every show with a monologue, sometimes as one of his regular characters, a technique borrowed from the late-night talkers). It was for this reason that the many aficionados of variety programming were disinclined to describe that series as a straight exemplar of that genre. [10] And indeed, the sketches, though typically hit-and-miss, proved the main draw – provocative, challenging, and prime water-cooler material. And most of the sketches were well-served to feature the superlative cast. In addition to Pryor, the breakout star was an anarchic, stream-of-consciousness style comedian named Robin Williams, who frequently ad-libbed and improvised his own material, often causing his cast-mates (including Pryor himself) to break up with laughter. [11] Between the two of them, they created an anarchic atmosphere where it seemed that anything could happen. It was an instant hit. [12]

Though it was NBC that broadcast Richard Pryor, at the end of the day (or rather, the end of the season), ABC still had plenty to celebrate, even notwithstanding the Muppets or the Osmonds; Rock Around the Clock had repeated as the #1 series on television for the third year in a row. [13] It was helpful that the series had progressed into the late 1950s, and was thus finally able to live up to its title; the crowning achievement on this score was a licensing agreement between Desilu Productions and Elvis Presley, announced on August 16, 1977: the music of the King would feature prominently in several episodes, as the third season took place in the 1956-57 period, the very height of his commercial success. Tentative plans of an actual appearance by Elvis (perhaps even re-creating a concert tour stop in nearby Chicago on March 28, 1957) were quickly overruled due to his extensive actual worldwide touring schedule. (That Elvis was by now twenty years older than he had been at the time of his Chicago concert appearance was, strangely, not a factor.) The King was a busy man, and though his personal life was marred by his (amicable) divorce from his wife Priscilla (who had tired of staying home alone at Graceland with the children for months at a time), he was in many ways utterly revitalized after the doldrums of the early 1970s. [14]
The season as a whole ended with ABC maintaining their perch atop the ratings heap, airing a lucky thirteen shows in the Top 30. Four of those were in the Top 10, including the #1 show on the air, Rock Around the Clock. NBC were comporting themselves nicely; though they had only nine shows in the Top 30 – less than the average of ten – they matched ABC in having four shows in the Top 10. This left CBS with a mere eight shows in the Top 30, and just two in the Top 10: Rhoda and the news-magazine program, 60 Minutes. [15]

The Emmy Awards that year were the standard mix of shocking and predictable. Although The Carol Burnett Show was ending, the Emmys chose not to give it the going-away present of Outstanding Variety Series, and nor did the long-running favourite The Muppet Show repeat for the award; instead, The Richard Pryor Show took the award home, cementing the clout and influence of this breakthrough sketch comedy series. The Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series was awarded to Lou Grant, with Outstanding Lead Actor going to its star, perennial favourite Ed Asner. Outstanding Comedy Series went to Captain Miller, but
Carroll O’Connor and Jean Stapleton of Those Were the Days won for Lead Actor and Actress, respectively. Supporting Actor was awarded to Abe Vigoda for Captain Miller, and Supporting Actress to Julie Kavner for Rhoda. [16] Though in contention for most of the conventional awards, the venerable Desilu went home empty-handed on that score; however, certain other Emmy categories would prove more generous…

---

[1] This is exactly the same as the OTL season (not series) finale for All in the Family in 1978, called
“The Stivics Go West”. It was originally intended as the series finale by Norman Lear (who had decided to move on to other projects), but the network, along with stars Carroll O’Connor and Jean Stapleton, convinced him that the show could go on without him – which it did, for one more season, before being re-tooled into Archie Bunker’s Place in 1979; that carried on for four more seasons before it was summarily cancelled in 1983, ending the twelve-year story of Archie Bunker without a definitive conclusion (Edith had died in 1980 after Stapleton chose to depart).

[2] Archie bought into the bar IOTL as well (
Archie Bunker’s Place is the name of the establishment in question), in a surprising contradiction to the show’s intended message: a blue-collar, working-class conservative (whom even O’Connor, an old-school socialist, would frequently describe as a “victim” of society), through dint of hard work, was able to pay off his mortgage and then leverage that into becoming a successful entrepreneur (and in a fairly difficult time and place economically, it must be said).

[3] Lou and Edie Grant divorced IOTL, but ITTL they remained married (though they did still separate and seek marriage counseling) in the face of criticism from social commentators who denounced Paramount as
“anti-marriage” and “anti-children” (as, at the time, even the young married couple on Barefoot in the Park was childless).

[4] IOTL, the writers seemed to have a vision for Rhoda that was completely contrary to what audiences wanted. They believed that Rhoda simply was not funny as a happily married woman, and chafed at having to write her that way. In the first episode of the third season (in 1976), they had Rhoda and her husband Joe separate and, eventually, divorce. Ratings sank like a stone that season, with Rhoda going from a Top 10 series to falling out of the Top 30 entirely. It staged a modest recovery for the following season (1977-78, the one being depicted in this update), but it never regained its former glory, and was cancelled at the end of 1978. ITTL, on the other hand, the higher-ups at Paramount continue to be wary of the
“anti-family” accusations being leveled at their shows, so they force the writers keep to the status quo. Note also that, for the same reasons, Rhoda and Joe had a daughter (named Mary, of course) in the second season, which also helps to mitigate the prospects of a separation, at least in the short term.

[5] Known as simply Taxi IOTL; the name Taxi Driver was taken by a film which, effectively, does not exist ITTL. (And yes, I will explain further in a later update.)

[6] Korman remained with Carol Burnett until 1977 IOTL, and it was he who appeared in the Rhett Butler role in the famous
“Went with the Wind” parody. Dick Van Dyke, his replacement, lasted for only half of the final season IOTL, but ITTL he remains for the full three seasons, and it is he who plays the Rhett Butler role in Kormans stead.

[7] So closely tied to the Latter-day Saint Movement in the popular consciousness were the Osmonds that Donny was actually officially permitted by the leaders of his Church to defer his missionary duties in lieu of continuing to serve as a representative of his religion to the general public (Osmond turned 19 in 1976, at the height of his career).

[8] Disco remains only a modestly popular genre ITTL, because it not have the key mainstream breakthrough of a Saturday Night Fever. This will allow it to endure and form a clear continuity with its descendants (as opposed to the rather abrupt break of OTL), given the lack of an overwhelming backlash against it.

[9] The Richard Pryor Show rather inexplicably aired at 8:00 PM IOTL, and (unsurprisingly) the network censors constantly feuded with Pryor. Given that this is still network television, Pryor won
t have free rein, but his show will be allowed to be only slightly less risqué than Saturday Night Live was at about this time IOTL.

[10] This is the same reason that, IOTL, Saturday Night Live is not generally considered a variety series, as most of the
“true” variety series elements were expunged after the first season (though it, unlike Richard Pryor, does have musical guests). This technicality also allows The Muppet Show to be remembered as “the last great variety show”.

[11] Williams appeared in The Richard Pryor Show IOTL, as well, and after it was cancelled he then appeared as Mork from Ork in Happy Days (and, later, Mork & Mindy).

[12] The show lasted a grand total of four episodes IOTL, and was cancelled before the end of 1977
– whereas, ITTL, it serves as the breakout hit of the season.

[13] The (ITTL, non-existent) spinoff of Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, finished at #1 for the first time this season IOTL, with Happy Days itself at #2.

[14] Both their second child and the lack of a debilitating drug addiction on his part kept their marriage together for a few more years ITTL.

[15] During the 1977-78 season IOTL, ABC finished with four shows in the Top 10 (and those four were the four highest-rated shows on television, including Laverne & Shirley at #1), as IOTL, but fifteen shows in the Top 30 (fully half, and again more than ITTL); CBS finished with a truly impressive five shows in the Top 10 (again, fully half), and a solid eleven in the Top 30. Finally, NBC maintained their track record from the previous season, with just one show in the Top 10 (Little House on the Prairie), and four in the Top 30. Though the Peacock Network isn
’t doing great ITTL, it’s leaps and bounds ahead of its OTL position (and, far more importantly, ahead of another network).

[16] IOTL, All in the Family won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series in 1978, Rob Reiner won Outstanding Supporting Actor, The Rockford Files won Outstanding Drama Series, and (ironically enough) The Muppet Show had its only win in Outstanding Variety Series at these awards. All other wins are as per OTL (or equivalent).

---

Another transitional season! Appropriate that it happens seven years after the previous one (1970-71). Both of these were also transitional seasons IOTL as well, as was the one seven years hence (1984-85)
… but I’m getting ahead of myself. A lot of you have asked after the show that will replace Saturday Night Live in the popular consciousness, and now you have (part of) your answer! (Richard Pryor won’t be the only game in town, of course). Please also note that the narrator is beginning to disparage these “dated” 1970s shows with just as much enthusiasm as he heaped praise upon them some years before. This, too, serves to demonstrate the cyclical nature of television.

A few shows (and one miniseries, obviously) which had a significant impact on popular culture ITTL have intentionally been omitted in order to devote my full attentions to their development in future updates, so please bear that in mind. In fact, I
’ve already been working on the coming updates, and will be posting them very soon!

Thande

Donor
Glad to see you continuing. As I've said before, I don't have a lot to say about these kinds of updates because I'm not familiar with the OTL counterparts you're changing in the first place...for the most part. Actually what is interesting is to see all these shows I've never heard of, or only know as a name, and then suddenly one leaps out in the same breath that is a well-known US cultural institution over here. It shows you how some things travelled better than others, not necessarily because of intrinsic worth or relevance but just maybe because their networks were better at selling them. It also puts things into perspective--we're used to the complaint that 'American cultural imperialism means their programmes all get shown over here regardless of quality' but if there is some truth to this complaint, it started up much more recently than people think, and the USA's cultural dominance does not actually correlate as well with its temporal/military etc dominance as people think.

I never knew The Richard Pryor Show existed until now! I guess I shouldn't give myself too hard a time, considering it only had four episodes in real-life. And doing the cursory Wikipedia check reveals that one of the main cast members was... Robin Williams? :eek:

Brainbin

Interesting update and seeing more of the butterflies work through.

I'm curious to see what happened to Taxi Driver, to prevent the film. Hope its not something that prevents Jodie Foster doing much of her work?

Steve

Now this is an update.:cool::cool: Shows I actually watched.:p And ones I wish I could have.:cool:
Brainbin said:
Lou Grant...who moved to Los Angeles with his wife, Edie
I honestly don't recall a wife at all... Divorce at his departure from WJM I vaguely recall...
Brainbin said:
position as City Editor
No other major changes, I hope--not even Animal having been a combat photog.
Brainbin said:
The series was decidedly dramatic in tone, engaging in hard-hitting social commentary
Disguised as excellent stories.:cool::cool: Unlike "Quincy", they never got on a soapbox.
Brainbin said:
Taxi Drivers
I do wonder why they didn't use the OTL title, or go with "Cabbie", or something.:confused:
Brainbin said:
An inspired Gone with the Wind parody
:cool::cool::cool: With some inspired work by the costumer, too.:cool::p I will never forget that.:cool:
Brainbin said:
And Donny and Marie were nothing if not a hit – the second-most popular traditional variety show on any network
:eek::eek:
Brainbin said:
Pryor (who would open and close every show with a monologue)
Did he do this OTL? That sounds like a lot of work every day...:eek:
Brainbin said:
Between the two of them, they created an anarchic atmosphere where it seemed that anything could happen.
Tho I was never a particular fan of Richard Pryor's, this sounds like a show I'd have liked a lot.:cool: (Like Vultan, I never even heard of it before, AFAIR.)
Brainbin said:
Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series was awarded to Lou Grant
How close was it OTL, do you know? I'm wondering why it doesn't go to "Rockford", unless you just butterflied it.

Thinking of Richard Pryor, does the "black 'Odd Couple'" get butterflied? IIRC, it would debut around '80.

Also, with a shortening of the Quagmire, do you foresee impact on the creation of *"Magnum", or of the character? Or of the character of Rick Simon (presuming "Simon & Simon" isn't butterflied away...:eek:)?

Spectacular update, Brainbin. I wish I had something constructive to add, but really, all I can say is that you've created a television season that manages to be both wildly divergent from OTL while at the same time is eminently plausible.

Put another way: if you told the average person today that Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor should have been bigger stars than they were, you would probably get puzzled responses. After all, Cosby essentially redefined the family sitcom in the 1980s (and for all time, I would argue); how can you get bigger than that? And yet you show exactly how it could have -- even should have been. Bravo.

Anyway, I apologize for what is essentially a long +1 post, but this was just brilliant.

Glad to see you continuing. As I've said before, I don't have a lot to say about these kinds of updates because I'm not familiar with the OTL counterparts you're changing in the first place...for the most part. Actually what is interesting is to see all these shows I've never heard of, or only know as a name, and then suddenly one leaps out in the same breath that is a well-known US cultural institution over here. It shows you how some things travelled better than others, not necessarily because of intrinsic worth or relevance but just maybe because their networks were better at selling them. It also puts things into perspective.

I lived in the US for a couple of years in the Eigthies and became something of a fan of the sitcom Night Court. It amazed me that it was never syndicated in the UK.

Known as simply Taxi IOTL; the name Taxi Driver was taken by a film which, effectively, does not exist ITTL. (And yes, I will explain further in a later update.)

Looking forward to it !

One of his great “triumphs”, at least from his perspective, was Donny and Marie, starring two of the kids from the famous Osmond troupe, known for an abundance of teeth… and a modicum of talent.

I know that you're not writing a utopia, but is there any chance you can prevent Jimmy Osmond from releasing any singles ?

But racial issues and variety television collided in a big way during the 1977-78 season, with the launch of The Richard Pryor Show, starring the controversial provocateur comedian of the same name. It aired on NBC, having followed a successful one-off variety special Pryor had previously done for that network. Obviously, Pryor would not be allowed to adapt his no-holds-barred stand-up comedy (with its notoriously ribald language) directly to the small screen, but he was mostly able to translate its essence, with the help of his writers. However, and just to be on the safe side, the program was aired after the newly-established (and increasingly tenuous) Family Viewing Hour, and started at 10:00 PM, on Tuesday nights. [9] Richard Pryor, like many new shows, initially had some difficulty finding its feet, but quickly settled on a largely sketch-based program, interspersed with stand-up “host” segments by Pryor (who would open and close every show with a monologue, sometimes as one of his regular characters, a technique borrowed from the late-night talkers).

Interesting. The format sounds a little like that used on Dave Allen at Large, with Dave Allen performing monologues and introducing filmed sketches. It could also be controversial, but not as much as his later ITV series.

In addition to Pryor, the breakout star was an anarchic, stream-of-consciousness style comedian named Robin Williams, who frequently ad-libbed and improvised his own material, often causing his cast-mates (including Pryor himself) to break up with laughter.

Love him or hate him, Williams was bound to become a star even without Mork and Mindy.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:
The talk about the variety series made me wonder about Sonny and Cher. Of course that reminded me of Sonny's attempt at his own series afterwards and how Terri Garr was in it. That leads me to wonder about Young Frankenstein. Which then leads me to wonder about Gene & Richard's team up, will his series being successful affect those films? Speaking of team ups, what about the Apple Dumpling Gang and the Conway-Knotts team ups?

Late 1970s Robin Williams and Richard Pryor on the same hit comedy show, eh...?

Well, you've just bought all of LA's cocaine dealers new sports cars.