Obviously a very popular question. It will require some research and consultation on my part before I can provide a satisfactory answer.

Yes, of course the Daleks came back :)

With respect to Blue Peter and Dr Who, I've just found this clip where Peter Purves describes his time on the show and also says that if "enough people write in" then the daleks might make a return. Here's another clip with Jon Pertwee giving an interview about his Whomobile (which would appear in season 11) and the start of a feature about the 10th anniversary special (unfortunately the second part of this feature has been removed from YouTube).

Blue Peter quite often did behind the scenes reports from new or interesting BBC programmes. ITTL, I can see them doing a report on the crossover episode and even having Spock and Scotty as guests on the show.

That might come in handy - thanks for the suggestion! :)

You're Welcome !

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:
Is reality TV another product of the Baby Boom, do you think? Younger writers/producers coming in? Or because of producers not wanting to risk failure? Or the growth of cable & viewer fragmentation? Or the Age of Aquarius?:p (Pick any 2.:p)

It depends what you mean by "Reality TV". Ignoring hidden camera shows, such as Candid Camera, the seventies saw fly-on-the-wall documentaries such as Sailor and The Family (which was based on a US series) in the UK.

Of course, that isn't even factoring in the reality that all of Doctor Who is technically canon in the Star Trek universe. That's scores of alien races, planets, robots, and characters to consider. Hmm, will the production team and screenwriters even have the rights to use aspects of the Trek universe outside of the cross-over? Of course, I'd imagine even if they did they'd want to use it sparingly anyway, to allow the show to stand on its own, but still, there are some things that need to be reconciled. Now, I'm not a huge Who fan and am not as familiar with that universe as others here, but it sounds like the Earth Empire and the various "Great and Bountiful Human Empires" could be either the Federation after a retcon, or maybe successor or precursor states to it depending on the era. Speaking of the Federation, the show also featured a "Galactic Federation". Lots to consider.

(Of course, "Earth Empire" sounds superficially similar to "Terran Empire". Could it be...?):eek:

What you want is the episode Inferno where the Doctor is transported to a parallel universe and meets the "evil" counterparts of the other characters (no goaties, but the Brigadier's counterpart wears an eye-patch). ITTL it would be the last episode before the Yank Years.

Cheers,
Nigel.

vultan said:
there will certainly be tie-in material: books, comics, toys, and, when the time comes, video games.
In the vein of the Blish adaptations, yes. Given "TOS" is more popular TTL, tho, I have to wonder if there will be the blizzard of stuff of OTL. (Brainbin sez "No spin-off series", which says to me, "Less demand" & so "Less merch.")

This does mean the OTL flood of novels (so many, by now, every damn day of the 5yr mission has to have been used 3 or 4 times over...:eek::rolleyes:) won't happen. It's likely the comics won't last, if they happen at all. (Offhand, IDK when the first books went to print OTL. They weren't helped by being at one of the smaller presses: Dell or Gold Key, I can't recall.)

The action figures (OK, dolls:rolleyes:), toys, & model kits will likely survive, especially the kits, & there's likely to be wider (than OTL) selection of kits IMO, if only because there would be more ships seen TTL. (Personally, I think the profusion of toys & kits is a good thing, & not only for Desilu.;))
vultan said:
all of Doctor Who is technically canon in the Star Trek universe.
Technically, but there's no guarantee it will be treated as such. As the replies have already indicated, there's a strong split in the SF fandom, so the amount of actual crossover would appear to me to be quite small. Without a venue (no novels, limited comics), what would it matter?

That said, tho, the continuing production of The Doc, & the spike in NAm fandom, would likely spark a Dr Who comic (if there wasn't one already, & IIRC, Dell or Gold Key did do one OTL). It is likely to prosper, IMO, because of the larger, & continuing, fan demand.
vultan said:
Whether or not there is a Star Wars in this timeline, I'd imagine Kenner will still be rolling in the cash every Christmas from all the Cylon action figures they've sold. :cool:
And That Wacky Redhead(TM) (All rights reserved) will be getting her cut.;):cool:

NCW8 said:
It depends what you mean by "Reality TV". Ignoring hidden camera shows, such as Candid Camera, the seventies saw fly-on-the-wall documentaries such as Sailor and The Family (which was based on a US series) in the UK.
I'm thinking "reality" as accepted today. Documentary series don't count. "Candid Camera" was, AFAIK, aberrant (not quite unique): it made no effort to pretend it was anything but a hidden camera show, so I don't count it, either.

That said, tho, the continuing production of The Doc, & the spike in NAm fandom, would likely spark a Dr Who comic (if there wasn't one already, & IIRC, Dell or Gold Key did do one OTL). It is likely to prosper, IMO, because of the larger, & continuing, fan demand.

I don't think there was a seperate comic, but Dr Who cartoons were featrued in TV Comic in the sixties and seventies. There were also Dr Who Annuals plus seperate annuals featuring the Daleks.

As for toys, my favourite was the Palitoy Dalek (from the seventies):

palatoy.jpg

In 1964, you could get a clockwork Dalek:

clockbk.jpg

The timing is interesting there, as they must have been ready to produce them before the second Dalek story aired in Nov-Dec 1964. That story seems to have launched Dalek-Mania, with several cartoons featuring Daleks appearing in newspapers in Dec 1964.

I'm thinking "reality" as accepted today. Documentary series don't count. "Candid Camera" was, AFAIK, aberrant (not quite unique): it made no effort to pretend it was anything but a hidden camera show, so I don't count it, either.

That's going to depend upon improvements in telephone technology to allow viewers to phone in and vote, so it's not going to happen in the seventies.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Interesting. It might be fun to have a little "mini"-update detailing the differences between our timeline's Star Trek canon and this timeline's canon. Even within the show itself, there will be some differences (I note that you mentioned in your update on the fifth season that there never was an explicit Klingon-Romulan Alliance in show, like in OTL).?

I wonder if they used the planned Klingon backstory from Star Trek Phase II in Brainbin's extended version of TOS, which is very different to the Klingon backstory we eventually got. (Basically it had the Klingons as being feudal Japan IIIN SPAAACE with a powerless ceremonial Emperor and a powerful Shogun equivalent, appropriately enough given the Asiatic styling of the TOS Klingons).

NCW8 said:
I don't think there was a seperate comic, but Dr Who cartoons were featrued in TV Comic in the sixties and seventies.
It may have been later than the '70s. Never enough a fan to pay attention.
NCW8 said:
That's going to depend upon improvements in telephone technology to allow viewers to phone in and vote, so it's not going to happen in the seventies.
"Survivor" & "Big Brother" require that? I never thought so. (The likes of "Idol" & "Dancing", with studio audience, or {local} call-in vote-offs, I could live with.)

Also, I seem to recall "Bandstand" doing a variety of "Idol" (tho that would've been local calls only).

"Survivor" & "Big Brother" require that? I never thought so. (The likes of "Idol" & "Dancing", with studio audience, or {local} call-in vote-offs, I could live with.)

Also, I seem to recall "Bandstand" doing a variety of "Idol" (tho that would've been local calls only).

Guys

I think it depends on how we define 'reality' TV, which sounds like it varies from person to person. Had forgotten about Candid Camera, which to my shame I used to enjoy as a pretty young child. However wouldn't call that reality in the modern meaning of the word.

Think that, like Big Brother the meaning has changed over time. Once things like Sailors or there was a documentary called The Family and another one set on an island would i think have been termed reality. Nowadays its more the sort of deliberately artificial sort of thing like big brother, which is why I call them unreality TV. The use of voting also includes a number of other shows that I once wouldn't have included in the category, such as Strictly Come Dancing and the like. However given they are tending more toward reliance on people paying to vote than the actual performance I think they are heading into that area if not there. [Used to like Strictly in part because of the sheer amount of effort people had to put in, as well as the dresses some of the attractive young females were barely wearing;) but its going steadily downhill:(].

If we did include some degree of viewer voting as a parameter of reality TV would that include things like Opportunity Knocks? They included both studio votes and in some cases at least people ringing/writing in to vote. I would tend not to as they still had a lot more actual focus on talent at the time.

Steve

PS - Think you have it already Brainbin but my date is 1959.

I'm making some headway on the next overview update, and I'm doing well enough that it should be ready in the next couple of days! But until then...

Boston is a bit more olde-worlde than Liverpool's industrial-ness though (ironically enough I suppose)...but then it doesn't have to be a perfect analogy to work as a setting.
That's true - though another American city that's similar to Liverpool (and a fair deal more gritty than historic, touristy Boston) is Baltimore.

Thande said:
Well that's slightly creepy, but thanks anyway... ;)
I combed through everyone who has ever posted to my thread, including all the one-timers, some of whom even logged in for months :eek:

It would be good to see this series getting more attention as it was quietly revolutionary - feminist without stuffing it down your throat (ooh-err missus, as Frankie Howard would have said).
That does fit with the themes of That Wacky Redhead better, though I'm of the belief that Star Trek was far more effective when it depicted Sulu and Uhura simply going about their business as valued crew members than so many of those clumsy and awkward (but well-intentioned!) political anvils of the Turd Season IOTL.

I still hoping for a Unit Spinoff. Since Tom Baker is not doing the Doctor, How about casting him as the Human Science Adviser that replaces the Doctor?
I believe I've now been asked to cast Tom Baker in every possible role in Doctor Who other than that of the Doctor :p

I recall [Star Trek, with no further need for clarification] doing it OTL. I suspect what happened is, later screenwriters mistook "cashless" for "no money"...:rolleyes: (Is it me, or do screenwriters have a maximum IQ requirement?:eek::rolleyes:)
I think The Voyage Home is partly guilty of this IOTL, even though the scene in question could very easily be construed as referring to an EFT system or the like. Then Roddeberry ran with that because it tied into his communal utopian ideas about society, and his "true vision" for Star Trek.

phx1138 said:
Break the tie on me, if it's not already (& I thought I'd mentioned it...): 1963. I think my tastes skew a bit older, tho.
I'm afraid that's not possible, since you weren't born in one of the four mode years ;)

phx1138 said:
"All in the Family" & "Barney Miller" were both set in NYC.:p ("Soap", I don't recall.) And don't even bother asking, I liked Kirstie better as Saavik.:cool:
So they were, but Cheers was set in Boston; sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. Also, I believe it's international law that Shelley Long was better than Kirstie Alley, so I certainly won't dispute that point with you (surprisingly enough). And besides, does anyone not think that Alley was the best Saavik? :confused: Imagine how much better III could have been if they'd kept her (and I like III, though obviously not as much as II and IV).

Interesting. It might be fun to have a little "mini"-update detailing the differences between our timeline's Star Trek canon and this timeline's canon. Even within the show itself, there will be some differences (I note that you mentioned in your update on the fifth season that there never was an explicit Klingon-Romulan Alliance in show, like in OTL). In the series, it was also hinted in some episodes that the series took place either way earlier or way later than the 23rd century. When is the crew's five-year mission here? Also important is that, while we're being told we won't get much in the way of more live-action Trek, there will certainly be tie-in material: books, comics, toys, and, when the time comes, video games. Will these be considered canon in this timeline?
I like this suggestion. I could do a second "legacy" update (there were some details I left out of the first), though it won't be for a little while, because... well, you'll see :cool:

With that in mind, I'll only answer one of your questions, because (as with the money issue) I feel that it can be inferred from the canon of the show IOTL: the show takes place two centuries into the future, not three. The official declaration that this takes place in the 23rd century did not occur until The Wrath of Khan, released in 1982; by this time, the space program (which had been moving at breakneck speeds in the 1960s) had slowed to a crawl, and it was clear that we weren't all going to be living on moon bases by the year 2000. So they "insured" themselves by tacking on an additional century. They won't ITTL, because the space program is much more robust. So the general (though not consistent, obviously) "two centuries from now" custom will hold, and (because writers seem to have no imagination when it comes to dates) the five-year mission will take place in the years 2165-70. Anachronistic references (most notably the one in "The Squire of Gothos") can then be fanwanked away.

vultan said:
Hey, it was fun while it lasted! :p
And it'll be fun to write about it, too :D

vultan said:
My mistake. Still, it is unprecedented for the time, and will certainly be the beginning of a trend.
Yes, but they won't get too carried away just yet. Remember that these are recessionary times, after all.

Yes, An American Family, often cited as the Ur-Reality Show. Butterflied away ITTL (or, at the very least, PBS found a considerably less interesting family to document). I'm defining reality show as we know it today: the fly-on-the-wall, highly choreographed, point-and-laugh genre of television. Talent contests and shows like Candid Camera are exempt; pioneering examples IOTL would not emerge until the late 1980s with Cops and America's Funniest Home Videos.

NCW8 said:
What you want is the episode Inferno where the Doctor is transported to a parallel universe and meets the "evil" counterparts of the other characters (no goaties, but the Brigadier's counterpart wears an eye-patch). ITTL it would be the last episode before the Yank Years.
That could make for some most intriguing gap-bridging fanon in both fandoms ITTL :eek:

In the vein of the Blish adaptations, yes. Given [since there's only one Star Trek series ITTL, there's no need to describe it as anything else] is more popular TTL, tho, I have to wonder if there will be the blizzard of stuff of OTL. (Brainbin sez "No spin-off series", which says to me, "Less demand" & so "Less merch.")
I never once said no spinoff series. I said no OTL spinoff series :cool:

phx1138 said:
This does mean the OTL flood of novels (so many, by now, every damn day of the 5yr mission has to have been used 3 or 4 times over...:eek::rolleyes:) won't happen. It's likely the comics won't last, if they happen at all. (Offhand, IDK when the first books went to print OTL. They weren't helped by being at one of the smaller presses: Dell or Gold Key, I can't recall.)
It was Gold Key. And to give an OTL counter-example, the only source of Futurama canon for years was the comic book series, which did just fine. And in an era (the 2000s) where comic book purchases were much lower, as far as I know. Even IOTL, the Gold Key line lasted for twelve years.

phx1138 said:
The action figures (OK, dolls:rolleyes:), toys, & model kits will likely survive, especially the kits, & there's likely to be wider (than OTL) selection of kits IMO, if only because there would be more ships seen TTL. (Personally, I think the profusion of toys & kits is a good thing, & not only for Desilu.;))
And they can have surprisingly long shelf lives. Speaking from experience, there were plenty of early-1980s properties readily available into the 1990s at Toys "R" Us.

phx1138 said:
And That Wacky Redhead(TM) (All rights reserved) will be getting her cut.;):cool:
That Wacky Redhead is a very shrewd businesswoman :D

phx1138 said:
It should also be noted that a lot of talent shows are considered reality series today that were not before their rise IOTL (American Idol is "reality", Star Search was not). Indeed, even American Idol dropped a lot of their early "reality-style" segments (such as all of the contestants living together in a mansion) in later seasons.

I wonder if they used the planned Klingon backstory from Star Trek Phase II in Brainbin's extended version of TOS, which is very different to the Klingon backstory we eventually got. (Basically it had the Klingons as being feudal Japan IIIN SPAAACE with a powerless ceremonial Emperor and a powerful Shogun equivalent, appropriately enough given the Asiatic styling of the TOS Klingons).
Though I did poach from a number of aborted "Phase II" story ideas for the fifth season, "Kitumba" was not one of them. The Klingons were too established to introduce radical backstory changes in the midst of a continuing series. That story would have been much easier to sell in the context of a revival series, which indeed it was IOTL.

They are NOT dolls, they are ACTION FIGURES!!!:mad:

:p
You keep telling yourself that ;)

PS - Think you have it already Brainbin but my date is 1959.
I do indeed have it already, but thanks for sharing anyway, Steve :)

I find it an odd suggestion that there won't be as many novels or merch ITTL for Star Trek. There was a ton of material that came out for it OTL even before TNG, and with it even more of a cultural hit, I can't see that not happening--remember that the earlier AMT model kits actually came out during the run, and in some cases AMT's licensing payments paid for the actual studio models--IRC the shuttle and the D7. (One kit was actually seen on-screen as the beat-to-heck Constellation!) With the business-saavy of that wacky redhead at the helm, I don't see a trend towards less merch than OTL, not with a market that so clearly demands to be filled.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I find it an odd suggestion that there won't be as many novels or mech ITTL for Star Trek. There was a ton of material that came out for it OTL even before TNG, and with it even more of a cultural hit, I can't see that not happening--remember that the earlier AMT model kits actually came out during the run, and in some cases AMT's licensing payments paid for the actual studio models--IRC the shuttle and the D7. (One kit was actually seen on-screen as the beat-to-heck Constellation!) With the business-saavy of that wacky redhead at the helm, I don't see a trend towards less merch than OTL, not with a market that so clearly demands to be filled.

Brainbin may clarify this, but Star Trek could perhaps have ended up with a similar sort of position to Star Wars in OTL--burning very brightly when it was on, then suddenly collapsing and becoming seen as silly and has-been just a few years later, before then unexpectedly (and apparently inexplicably, at the time) reviving a decade later, producing spinoff media and finally the impetus for a full-fledged revival.

I'm not sure that fits Brainbin's vision though.

As someone who liked the old FASA game, I have to say I knew the credit bit.
While I never saw it, the old BBC series "Doomwatch" sounds intriguing. Will it continue ITTL? Will it get broadcast in the USA?

Brainbin may clarify this, but Star Trek could perhaps have ended up with a similar sort of position to Star Wars in OTL--burning very brightly when it was on, then suddenly collapsing and becoming seen as silly and has-been just a few years later, before then unexpectedly (and apparently inexplicably, at the time) reviving a decade later, producing spinoff media and finally the impetus for a full-fledged revival.
Of course, there's a completely legitimate reason that any and all Star Wars material suddenly ceased production in the mid-1980s IOTL, allowing it to accrue an "old hat" reputation - when George Lucas was divorced from his wife Marcia (remember her?), she took him to the cleaners, and it is widely believed that she stood to personally gain from any revenues based on the Star Wars property, which is why he let it lay fallow for over a decade. Of course, that absence wound up making the heart grow fonder, and it created a real appetite, and longing nostalgia, for Star Wars when it came back in 1997 (with a lot of odd little tweaks and changes, a few of which were rather unpopular). It was about this time that everyone realized how great the original trilogy was... just in time for Lucas to do what he does best (ruin everything).

And OTL has of course shown that Star Trek fandom has a remarkable tenacity. It's harder to compare to other modern properties, which tend to have shorter shelf lives, but think about Sherlock Holmes, and how it remains absurdly popular and a cultural touchstone to this day. I think that's a better point of comparison - consider that the two properties each invented their own genres (and inspired endless parodies); and, between them, the modern concepts of fandom, and canonicity.

And, of course, I have to keep some secrets up my sleeve ;)

Thande

Donor
Of course, there's a completely legitimate reason that any and all Star Wars material suddenly ceased production in the mid-1980s IOTL, allowing it to accrue an "old hat" reputation - when George Lucas was divorced from his wife Marcia (remember her?), she took him to the cleaners, and it is widely believed that she stood to personally gain from any revenues based on the Star Wars property, which is why he let it lay fallow for over a decade.
That's part of it, but the decay in Star Wars started before that. In the year of my birth (1984), in the UK at least, sales of all Star Wars merchandise suddenly crashed when the bubble burst and people just seemed to go off Star Wars overnight. Something I enjoy blowing the minds of teenagers with is to tell them that the only exception to this was Ewoks, which were stupidly popular throughout the mid-eighties. I think that's the real reason Lucas made direct-to-video Ewok films and cartoons: the market was there.

Of course, that absence wound up making the heart grow fonder, and it created a real appetite, and longing nostalgia, for Star Wars when it came back in 1997 (with a lot of odd little tweaks and changes, a few of which were rather unpopular). It was about this time that everyone realized how great the original trilogy was... just in time for Lucas to do what he does best (ruin everything).
I would actually say the revival started in 1991 with Timothy Zahn's books, ultimately sparked and fuelled by the Star Wars RPG. The EU became a glorious thing in the mid-nineties, despite some rather mixed results from some authors getting involved. The Special Editions in 1997 were the first sign Lucas had gone off the deep end, but they nonetheless excited more interest in the EU. The main 'story' came to the end with Zahn's Hand of Thrawn books in '99 and they went off on the Yuuzhan Vong tangent...and then the prequels came out and, erm, changed things forever, shall we say.

Brainbin said:
That does fit with the themes of That Wacky Redhead better, though I'm of the belief that Star Trek was far more effective when it depicted Sulu and Uhura simply going about their business as valued crew members than so many of those clumsy and awkward (but well-intentioned!) political anvils of the Turd Season IOTL.
Sulu & Spock, too, actually, & raising no *ahem* eyebrows. Nor was Season 3 the only one to be a bit blatant. I love David's remark about Kirk's OTL destruction of societies relying on computers: "How IBM must hate that man".:p Or the writers...;)
Brainbin said:
I think The Voyage Home is partly guilty of this IOTL, even though the scene in question could very easily be construed as referring to an EFT system or the like. Then Roddeberry ran with that because it tied into his communal utopian ideas about society, and his "true vision" for Star Trek.
I entirely agree. If you've lived your whole life with an EFT (perhaps even an entirely automated one tied to your comm badge or something)....

By the time they got to "ST:V" & "First Contact", it had gotten out of hand. (Had Picard said, "I've no idea what she cost, but I've got engineers who can tell you down to the last stem bolt, & historians that can give it to you in kobundō or euros or drachmae.", he could've made it clear he was her captain, not her accountant, & that the history of Earth's money isn't his field. To which I'd have added something like, "It's on the order of a milliard megajoules", thereby making it clear he does have an idea of her relative cost. Better still, "on the order of a milliard megajoules, or about one hundred thousand times what I will earn in my lifetime".:eek:)
Brainbin said:
I'm afraid that's not possible, since you weren't born in one of the four mode years ;)
;)
Brainbin said:
Cheers was set in Boston
Yes, & that was the point...;)
Brainbin said:
sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came.
Don't ever expect to find me there. (I'm probably in Miami, trying to find Michael Weston:p & get him to save my ass.)
Brainbin said:
does anyone not think that Alley was the best Saavik?
And that wasn't really about Saavik, either, but making clear I knew damn well which show you meant... (Oddly, we do agree, she was the better of the two.:confused: IDK how that happened.:confused::p)
Brainbin said:
the show takes place two centuries into the future, not three.
Given the rate of technological change, any thought about even two centuries being too much? If it takes 100 to the Vulcans arriving (by which time pocket calculators would have the power of Deep Blue today:eek:), achieving Federation & *"TOS" status in another 100 would seem dead easy. Presuming the green loonies haven't managed to kill off anything like space flight.:mad:
Brainbin said:
I never once said no spinoff series. I said no OTL spinoff series :cool:
I stand corrected. And happy to know there may be life in the franchise yet.
Brainbin said:
It was Gold Key.
TY. (Marvel Zombie at the time, so...:eek:)
Brainbin said:
Even IOTL, the Gold Key line lasted for twelve years.
Which, I think, reflects the strength of the OTL fandom. TTL, I have a sense it won't be as desperate for anything Trek.
Brainbin said:
That Wacky Redhead is a very shrewd businesswoman :D
Indeed.;)
Brainbin said:
Though I did poach from a number of aborted "Phase II" story ideas for the fifth season, "Kitumba" was not one of them. The Klingons were too established to introduce radical backstory changes in the midst of a continuing series. That story would have been much easier to sell in the context of a revival series, which indeed it was IOTL.
OTL, I found the "TOS" Klingons a generic baddie, Sov/Russian if anything. (Not enough thought put in to the creation, I suspect.) The "TNG"/"DS9" treatment made them much more interesting. (A bit too close to Japan for my taste, but at least they had some character.)

I combed through everyone who has ever posted to my thread, including all the one-timers, some of whom even logged in for months :eek:

Now that is dedication !

I believe I've now been asked to cast Tom Baker in every possible role in Doctor Who other than that of the Doctor :p

I don't think that anyone's suggested him as a companion, although I can't really see him in that role. He's far better suited to be a villain.

Even if you're not going to cast Baker in the role, I'd still like to see the Meddling Monk make a come-back. He is a fan of Alternate History after all, even if his first scenario was "WI the fleet of Harald Hardrada were destroyed by an Atomic Canon". If he becomes well known enough, ASBs ITTL might be called Monks.

Yes, An American Family, often cited as the Ur-Reality Show. Butterflied away ITTL (or, at the very least, PBS found a considerably less interesting family to document).

There was also the Up Series of documentaries that took a group of 7 year-olds in 1964 and interviewed them every 7 years. It has even been parodied on the Simpsons.

I'm defining reality show as we know it today: the fly-on-the-wall, highly choreographed, point-and-laugh genre of television. Talent contests and shows like Candid Camera are exempt; pioneering examples IOTL would not emerge until the late 1980s with Cops and America's Funniest Home Videos.

Sounds a reasonable definition. The latter programme is also technology dependant as it relies on the availability of cheap video recorders.

It's interesting how shows such as Big Brother managed to keep audience attention in a way that, for example, the tv coverage of the Apollo moon landings didn't. It is possible that the voting for candidates has something to do with this as it engages the audience and makes them feel that the show is interactive.

That could make for some most intriguing gap-bridging fanon in both fandoms ITTL :eek:

They might have more trouble with the Doctor's visit to Vulcan.

It was Gold Key. And to give an OTL counter-example, the only source of Futurama canon for years was the comic book series, which did just fine. And in an era (the 2000s) where comic book purchases were much lower, as far as I know. Even IOTL, the Gold Key line lasted for twelve years.

There's something of that with the Eighth Doctor, with most of the canon coming from books and audio productions.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Edit: One final Blue Peter clip, describing the show's role in finding two stolen Daleks in 1973.

Last edited:
Given the rate of technological change, any thought about even two centuries being too much? If it takes 100 to the Vulcans arriving (by which time pocket calculators would have the power of Deep Blue today:eek:), achieving Federation & *"TOS" status in another 100 would seem dead easy. Presuming the green loonies haven't managed to kill off anything like space flight.:mad:
Presumably the whole 'greatly destructive wars in our future' thing slowed things down a bit. Which goes with the other reason why, technological change aside, one century would be too little: too much history yet to happen.

LordInsane said:
Presumably the whole 'greatly destructive wars in our future' thing slowed things down a bit.
Less than you'd think. Destroying the manufacturing capacity is easy. Destroying the knowledge it's based on, & hence the ability to recover, is much harder. Norman Spinrad once wrote a really good article, about post-apocalyptic societies, dealing with this subject.

Two examples will do it: Farenheit 451 & A Canticle for Liebowitz. You have to set out to systematically destroy the knowledge to actually get rid of it. Absent that, reconstruction happens. As witness, the aftermath of WW2. Or the aftermath of the Plague, actually: the survivors are actually much better off.

Less than you'd think. Destroying the manufacturing capacity is easy. Destroying the knowledge it's based on, & hence the ability to recover, is much harder. Norman Spinrad once wrote a really good article, about post-apocalyptic societies, dealing with this subject.

Two examples will do it: Farenheit 451 & A Canticle for Liebowitz. You have to set out to systematically destroy the knowledge to actually get rid of it. Absent that, reconstruction happens. As witness, the aftermath of WW2. Or the aftermath of the Plague, actually: the survivors are actually much better off.
Reconstruction happens. Further development, however, is slowed until reconstruction has occured (seeing as not only manufacturing but also infrastructure and the people that would have contributed would take a severe hit). This is Star Trek, after all. The goal isn't a persistent fall back into an earlier state, merely a civilization that isn't quite as technologically developed in 200 years as one might think.

I'm making some headway on the next overview update, and I'm doing well enough that it should be ready in the next couple of days! But until then...

That's true - though another American city that's similar to Liverpool (and a fair deal more gritty than historic, touristy Boston) is Baltimore.

Something to consider: Baltimore didn't really become the Baltimore people know today (from The Wire, et al.) until the late 1970s/early 80s, when William Donald Schaefer brought a number of what would today be unthinkable capital expenditure projects to the downtown area -- the Science Center (1976), the Convention Center (1979), Harborplace (1980), and the National Aquarium (1981).

Before then, the downtown waterfront was dominated by commercial shipping, warehouses, and other heavy industry, and Baltimore was viewed in the Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Detroit "failing cities of the 1970s" model, with residents steadily streaming from the city to the suburbs.