Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

We have in the earlier portions of the timeline some Alternate Selves for sure, and one might argue a few Richard Nixon Used Car Salesman entries especially considering the Retarded Butterflies don't hit Europe and the Far East for a few decades.

Glen

We do of course also have examples of Screws (Brazil, I'm looking at you), and Wanks (maybe the British?).

Glen

We also have examples of Different World, Different Movies, though they are mostly books at this point - we'll fill in more culture stuff however, including eventually movies....

Glen

Korsgaardista Mexico's invasion of Texas, New Mexico, and Avalon may count as Mexico Called: They Want Texas Back.

Abhakhazia

Banned
We have in the earlier portions of the timeline some Alternate Selves for sure, and one might argue a few Richard Nixon Used Car Salesman entries especially considering the Retarded Butterflies don't hit Europe and the Far East for a few decades.

Nah, Richard Nixon the Used Car Salesman only has rival dictators opening a resteraunt together.

all of the above are good trope observations to be sure. I wonder if any disproportionate retribution has been exated in the timeline so far? Also, there's got to be at least a couple tropes to be found in the incident where the pope tried to declare a crusade against Austria.

He just sounded like a 19th century politician!
A local would have said polygamist, but I can definetly see where you're coming from with that.

I take it you are happy with your cameo?
Of course! For one, it was surprisingly prompt. And two, President of the United States of America! And a first President no less! I hadn't had my ambitions pinned much higher than "martyred rabble rouser". That, and, President Bingham seems as though he tends to assume things will be much simpler and easier than they actually turn out to be, and is a total pain to work with, which makes him sound very much like part of my family.

On a more serious note: is the Democratic opposition to the gold standard coming from bimetalism, or is it in favor of leaving the currency unattached like the dollar is today?

(also, I should maybe apologize for the wall of text in the cameo thread, I got a bit carried away and it wasn't until I'd posted it all that I noticed I'd written about a foot more than everyone else.)

Let's hear about it, please!
ok, I hope the information is usefull. The town of Brookings, Oregon which is situated on the coast close to the OTL Oregon-California border, benefits from a weather phenomenon known in the region as the brookings effect. what happens is that the temperatures in late fall and early winter will often rise to levels more common in southern California. This, combined with the area's reputation for good windsurfing which I presume also makes it good for sailing, might make it a popular place to go and "beat the winter chill".

Glen

all of the above are good trope observations to be sure.

Good.

I wonder if any disproportionate retribution has been exated in the timeline so far?

Maybe the Prussians?

Also, there's got to be at least a couple tropes to be found in the incident where the pope tried to declare a crusade against Austria.

Such as?

A local would have said polygamist, but I can definetly see where you're coming from with that.

Funny. BTW, this timeline has no Mormonism, so your ATL relative here (who I should emphasize is a child or grandchild of your Erastus) won't be one - may be a prominant Freedom Deist, though.

Of course! For one, it was surprisingly prompt.

Luck of the draw. You had a name at a time when I was looking for it.

And two, President of the United States of America! And a first President no less! I hadn't had my ambitions pinned much higher than "martyred rabble rouser".

Naw, we did that in China.:D

That, and, President Bingham seems as though he tends to assume things will be much simpler and easier than they actually turn out to be, and is a total pain to work with, which makes him sound very much like part of my family.

I think you are projecting, but that is just fine - consider all of those canon traits of President Bingham.

On a more serious note: is the Democratic opposition to the gold standard coming from bimetalism, or is it in favor of leaving the currency unattached like the dollar is today?

That's a fair question - my first instinct is to say both! His real goal is an unattached dollar (sorta Greenback Party that way) but there is a strong bimetalism contingent in the Democrats and will settle for that as a step away from the gold standard. Have to do an entry on that.

(also, I should maybe apologize for the wall of text in the cameo thread, I got a bit carried away and it wasn't until I'd posted it all that I noticed I'd written about a foot more than everyone else.)

Naw, that was fine.

ok, I hope the information is usefull. The town of Brookings, Oregon which is situated on the coast close to the OTL Oregon-California border, benefits from a weather phenomenon known in the region as the brookings effect. what happens is that the temperatures in late fall and early winter will often rise to levels more common in southern California. This, combined with the area's reputation for good windsurfing which I presume also makes it good for sailing, might make it a popular place to go and "beat the winter chill".

We may well be able to find a use for it at some point.

uh... I was hoping you guys would have those, but on a cursory examination of the possibilities I'd say it fits the bill for the comical overreacting and this means war! tropes.

that's what I was going for.

BTW, this timeline has no Mormonism, so your ATL relative here won't be one - may be a prominant Freedom Deist, though.

I couldn't remember if it had come about TTL or not, but I surmised as much based on the fact the Mr. Bingham is from kansas and no mention was made of any religious issues. (and I'm a real fan of this america's grand deist tradition)

(who I should emphasize is a child or grandchild of your Erastus)

absolutely, he'd have to be. it's an ATL anyways, he's mostly just some person who happens the share the name of my relative (still cool though)

Luck of the draw. You had a name at a time when I was looking for it.

glad to be of service.

I think you are projecting, but that is just fine - consider all of those canon traits of President Bingham.

I'm definitely projecting, as all that was actually said about the man was that his presidency was something of a dismal failure.

That's a fair question - my first instinct is to say both! His real goal is an unattached dollar (sorta Greenback Party that way) but there is a strong bimetalism contingent in the Democrats and will settle for that as a step away from the gold standard. Have to do an entry on that.

ok cool, thanks for the info.

Naw, that was fine.

well I'm glad for that.

We may well be able to find a use for it at some point.

great if you can, no skin off my nose if you can't though.

Glen

uh... I was hoping you guys would have those, but on a cursory examination of the possibilities I'd say it fits the bill for the comical overreacting and this means war! tropes.

Oh, those are some good ones!

I couldn't remember if it had come about TTL or not, but I surmised as much based on the fact the Mr. Bingham is from kansas and no mention was made of any religious issues. (and I'm a real fan of this america's grand deist tradition)

Yep, and thanks - you may consider President Bingham a Freedom Deist.

absolutely, he'd have to be. it's an ATL anyways, he's mostly just some person who happens the share the name of my relative (still cool though)

You got it, brother!

I'm definitely projecting, as all that was actually said about the man was that his presidency was something of a dismal failure.

But I liked it, so it's canon now!

So, do we think that all the Deism stuff can count as Fantastic Religious Weirdness?

I did a bit of reading, And I don't think that it would apply to deist-christianity. this is mostly due to christianity's relative lack of prohibitions and mandates, especially among the less formalized denominations. but also deism doesn't seem to have put many people in any sort of difficult position with it rules, mostly it just adds another note to christian theological discourse.

that said, it seems possible for deist bhuddism. I'm no expert on what bhuddism forbids though, and if there have been any major issues regarding the traditional prctice of bhuddism vs. deist practice I dont think they've been elaborated on.

Glen

I did a bit of reading, And I don't think that it would apply to deist-christianity. this is mostly due to christianity's relative lack of prohibitions and mandates, especially among the less formalized denominations. but also deism doesn't seem to have put many people in any sort of difficult position with it rules, mostly it just adds another note to christian theological discourse.

that said, it seems possible for deist bhuddism. I'm no expert on what bhuddism forbids though, and if there have been any major issues regarding the traditional prctice of bhuddism vs. deist practice I dont think they've been elaborated on.

Fair enough, fair enough....

Glen

President Poe easily won reelection, managing to attract votes from both those who sought to keep American out of the Global War and those who wanted to see support for the Liberal Entente and it's Allies though his policies that favored the Western Powers in terms of trade, while never taking the fial step to war. While the Korsgaardist Eastern Powers railed at the 'false neutrality of America', there was in fact little they could do about it. Despite the setbacks early in the war, Britain and France along with America controled the Atlantic corridor, guarranteeing that arms and food reached the Entente from America, as well as Dominion cotton for textiles. And the Korsgaardists also received some trade from America especially in foodstuffs, which the Allies agreed to allow through in return for the US embargo on weapons and munitions. The greatly increased demand on all the fruits of American ingenuity and industry that the war engendered lifted America out of the depths of the economic disaster of the 1880s. While recovery was significant (and for some, impressive), it would still be some time yet before America would find herself fully restored economically.

Some critics of the Poe administration cite the Poe Plan, President Poe's initiative with regards to post war Europe, as delaying a full and complete recovery. However, proponents suggest that Poe's Plan actually laid the groundwork for a greater recovery than could otherwise have occured given the state of Europe, and especially Eastern Europe, after the war. The Western Powers saw their own wartime partial recovery as the armies and navies sopped up the idle men of the pre-war economic downturn, and government spending on all sorts of industries and needs employed easily the rest, including some women to supplement the loss of men to the great battles of the age. This salubrious effect on the economies of the West improved the economy somewhat, but after the end of the Global War, with the decreased demand for war materials and the return of able bodied men to the workforce threatened to reverse the trend. However, this was infinitely better than the abject collapse of the economies of the Eastern Powers. In any event, it was Poe's genius that he foresaw the need to bolster both the likeminded nations of the West but also the humbled nations of the East (all except proud and isolated Russia, which held themselves aloof from all in the waning days of the war and the century). The US government fostered investment in Europe, the purchase of useful goods for the rebuilding of the nations of Europe, and the restoration of the credit of the various nations. This was the greatest centralized use of Federal moneys, credit, and authority in the history of the nation, and only could be passed by the overwhelmingly Federalist controled government of the second Poe administration. Poe based on his charisma and prestige, and his clever writings on the subject, was able to push through this, and even set the stage for another Federalist administration to succeed his.

Poe Plan Shield.png