Brainbin said:
One important factor - and you are taking it into consideration, but I emphasize it for the benefit of all my other readers - is That Wacky Redhead herself. She has her own personal tastes, and she's very hands-on about her job - that's why she got burnout juggling her two careers in the late 1960s. She's very proud of her studio's long-standing reputation as a trailblazer, and intends to keep it up.
I would count that as a factor in favor of *"Kung Fu", in the same way as fighting to keep Desi on "ILL": don't let the suits dictate a white cast if it's bad for the show. (Or if you've got a vested interest.:p)

Thinking of vested interests, where was Lucy on hiring cast & crew Desilu had worked with before? It occurs to me TTL's "Kung Fu" might use George Takei... Bruce as stunt double? (I presume having two Asian stars:eek: would be too much in this era.:rolleyes:)
Brainbin said:
Desilu considers four to be an optimal number, but by no means is it an obligation. For example, the studio will be entering the 1971-72 season with only three first-run series on the air - obviously they'll be accepting more pitches, but that's for another update.
Ah, but that's OTL Desilu...;) Who's to say the muscle & inclination to get a bit bigger isn't there?
Brainbin said:
Those are some very excellent, insightful questions. I would answer them, but doing so would spoil... everything :p
TYVM.:) As before, just food for thought.;) Hopefully you'll find it useful.
Brainbin said:
British society in general will not share that same burst of optimism affecting the USA ITTL. They can see the light from the fire all the way across the pond, but they aren't quite able to bask in its warmth.
It occurs to me this could make *"UFO" a cult hit over here, & actually flip the OTL TOS experience, where 20yr later, "UFO: The Movie" gets an enormous budget.;):cool:

It's coming just at the start of VCR introduction, too, isn't it? This could make off-air tapes black market items at SF cons.:cool: Certainly any clips, or the goodie reel, would be precious. And with The Doc on air, a variety of "Brit invasion" including *"UFO" isn't far-fetched.

Brainbin said:
Well, of course that's what Desilu wants, but to quote a great philosopher: You can't always get what you want. The reason that Lucille Ball was able to go to bat for Star Trek ITTL was because viewer demographics (which were known at the time, if not weighted nearly as heavily as they are today) were phenomenal, and ratings were a little higher than IOTL, to boot. If a hypothetical "Kung-Fu" series - or any other Desilu production, for that matter - doesn't have a leg to stand on, then it'll be put on the chopping block, same as any other show.
Agreed, but I suspect most of us are betting that That Wacky Redhead will have both the bettter taste and the better skills/resources to actually pick and foster winners in her stable. Thus we imagine her failures, at least for the foreseeable future will be few and far in between.
Perhaps a better sense for what's good & what's not. At a minimum, a greater willingness to take a chance on what on its face is a bit nutty. Certainly a willingness to stand up if she believes it's good.

I find myself thinking, if Bruce pitched "Kung Fu", she could see herself on the other side, in a way most of the suits couldn't. Would she buy an obviously bad show? No. Would she be more willing to take a risk? I think so.

Does this mean a Midas touch? No, & it might do for there to be a real turkey bought because "I liked it".:eek:

(All that said, I should be clear: I never really liked "Kung Fu" as a show, & didn't think Bruce was anything like a great actor.:rolleyes: It did make a mark, & it would be just at the cusp of the fairly enormous OTL popularity of chopsocky films...)
Brainbin said:
Glen, who has now surpassed me as the most prolific contributor to this thread!
:D:D

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Am I reading that right, that Desilu will only produce a handful of shows in any given year?
One in, one out, so to speak?

Will there not be pressure to expand operations? Or will Desilu operate as a hugely influential Couture Producer?

Do not despise the snake because she has no horns, for who is to say she will not become a Dragon.
(Never much of a fan of Kung Fu, I far preferred The Water Margin. ;))

That Wacky Redhead Drinking Game.
Only to be played by those of legal drinking age (Which is damn near everyone Posting, from the look of things).

This is an explanatory Post and so does not count, for the purposes of The Game.

Dealers Rule applies.
You only take a shot when another Poster uses one of the trigger words (Or quotes your use of said in a subsequent Post)

Triggers include;
Use of the word "Intriguing"
Mention of "The Muppets"
Reference to a "TV Trope"
And now, inclusion of the Series "UFO"

Have fun. Be safe. Players participate at their own risk.
Do not operate complex machinery or drive after playing That Wacky Redhead Drinking Game.

Neither Brainbin, Desilu, nor any of their Affiliates or Subsidiaries may be held liable for any damages or losses incurred. :D

Falkenburg

So, a generic medical drama premiering in the late 1970s, starring one of the Cartwright Brothers from "Bonanza"? Well, why not?

Indeed, IIRC "Bonanza" was set in the 1890s, so years later you get the shift from antiseptic to aseptic surgery, debates over eugenics to satisfy the political appetites, discussion of the old days of surgery when there wasn't even any antiseptic stuff, that could be a very interesting show. And you could even have crossovers with "Little House ont he Prairie.":)

But that's just the history buff in me talking. Still, it could work.

DTF955Baseballfan said:
discussion of the old days of surgery when there wasn't even any antiseptic stuff
Actually, antiseptics began being used in surgery by Lister (whence Listerine) in 1867. (Tho I thank you for making me look it up, 'cause I wasn't sure of the date.;))

Needless to say, the idea was the actor in "Bonanza", not the actual character. The idea wasn't "Dr Quinn, Medicine Man".:p

Actually, antiseptics began being used in surgery by Lister (whence Listerine) in 1867. (Tho I thank you for making me look it up, 'cause I wasn't sure of the date.;))

Needless to say, the idea was the actor in "Bonanza", not the actual character. The idea wasn't "Dr Quinn, Medicine Man".:p

Ah, that makes sense then.

Aothough since it was the character in Trapper John and the comment rose from Trapper John discussion my supposition made equal sense.:)

Though I will grant that if a Cartwright did become a doctor, it would be hard to find a practicing surgeon who didn't use Dr. Lister's methods by the time they were in charge of a hospital staff or soemthing, simply because they wouldn't accept such doctors.

DTF955Baseballfan said:
Aothough since it was the character in Trapper John and the comment rose from Trapper John discussion my supposition made equal sense.:)
An understandable mistake.;) And, actually, not a bad idea for a show. Except it wouldn't survive the slaughter of Westerns that's about to take place.:eek:

Offhand, IDK if OTL's "Trapper John" was before or after the "Lonesome Dove" revival. If after, it might pass.;)
DTF955Baseballfan said:
Though I will grant that if a Cartwright did become a doctor, it would be hard to find a practicing surgeon who didn't use Dr. Lister's methods by the time they were in charge of a hospital staff or soemthing, simply because they wouldn't accept such doctors.
I daresay.:eek:

Last edited:

Glen

Thanks for that, Falkenburg - most helpful.:)

Am I reading that right, that Desilu will only produce a handful of shows in any given year?

Will there not be pressure to expand operations? Or will Desilu operate as a hugely influential Couture Producer?

Do not despise the snake because she has no horns, for who is to say she will not become a Dragon.
(Never much of a fan of Kung Fu, I far preferred The Water Margin. ;))

Only to be played by those of legal drinking age (Which is damn near everyone Posting, from the look of things).

This is an explanatory Post and so does not count, for the purposes of The Game.

Dealers Rule applies.
You only take a shot when another Poster uses one of the trigger words (Or quotes your use of said in a subsequent Post)

Triggers include;
Mention of "The Muppets"

Do not operate complex machinery or drive after playing That Wacky Redhead Drinking Game.

Neither Brainbin, Desilu, nor any of their Affiliates or Subsidiaries may be held liable for any damages or losses incurred. :D

Falkenburg

Glen

So, you had some foreshadowing about TTL's version of All In The Family. I found this bit in wikipedia interesting, though.

"After stations and viewers' complaints caused ABC to cancel Turn-On after only one episode in February 1969, the network became uneasy about airing a show with a "foul-mouthed, bigoted lead" character, and rejected the series[9][10] at about the time Richard Dreyfuss sought the role of Michael. Rival network CBS was eager to update its image, and was looking to replace much of its then popular "rural" programming (Mayberry R.F.D., The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres) with more "urban", contemporary series, and was interested in Lear's project. They bought the rights from ABC and re-titled the show All in the Family."

We still have the Turn-On fiasco ITTL, so I would think that we still have this shift - though it would be interesting if somehow Dreyfuss still ended up playing the Michael character.

Science Fiction/Double Feature
Science Fiction/Double Feature

The science-fiction craze of the early 1970s was predominately viewed as an offshoot of Moonshot Lunacy, which dominated the era. However, a minority opinion held the craze as the culmination of a steadily growing interest with roots as far back as the 19th century (with Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, who remained two of the genre's defining authors). Film and television had produced iconic works of science-fiction from their infancy; and now, in both media, the genre was finally coming of age.

The annus mirabilis, decided in retrospect, had to be 1968 - the year of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the year that Star Trek became a mainstream success. At the time of its release, 2001 faced a violently mixed reaction from critics and audiences. It was "rediscovered" shortly thereafter by the counter-culture, who deemed the film's psychedelic climax as the perfect opportunity for the ultimate acid trip. But eventually, mainstream critics began reappraising the quality of the film, and came to regard it as a seminal masterpiece.

2001 and Star Trek, when taken together, opened the floodgates; both predated Moonshot Lunacy, though it certainly can be (and often is) argued that these established properties and the moon landings entered into a feedback loop, and rode each other to glory.

A new wave of science-fiction films and television series soon emerged. A few of the more prominent ones are listed below:

"Far Beyond the Stars" was an anthology series, in the vein of "The Outer Limits". It began airing on ABC in 1970; perhaps the most interesting aspect of the series was its host, also an occasional writer, credited as the show's "Consulting Producer": Harlan Ellison.

An H. Beam Piper novel called Little Fuzzy is filmed as The Fuzzies [1]. Neither critics nor audiences were quite sure what to make of the unusual premise - best described as a cross between Miracle on 34th Street and the classic Star Trek episode, "The Devil in the Dark" - but the movie was family-friendly and generally intended as a parable for children, to appreciate those who were different.

Even in the United Kingdom, science-fiction was given a new lease on life: Star Trek began airing there in 1969, and a new program by veteran producer Gerry Anderson called "UFO" soon followed. Darker and more sombre than the sunny, optimistic Star Trek, it effectively captured the far more cautious and reserved atmosphere of early 1970s Britain as compared to the United States. "UFO", which aired on ITV, also served as a rival program to Doctor Who, on the BBC. The show aired in the US in syndication and became a sleeper hit; a second season was commissioned [2], with the help of American money (as CBS, aware of the NBC deal to begin airing Doctor Who, decided to follow in their footsteps), though with a change of setting to a lunar base, to better appeal to the Moonie Loonies. This second season was retitled "UFO: 1999", and began airing in the United States in September, 1972.

Though not exactly science-fiction, a popular film with some elements of the genre (blended with fantasy and a touch of horror) is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory [3], starring Gene Wilder as the titular confectioner. Adapted from a popular children's book by Roald Dahl, the film also served as a vehicle for a line of chocolate bars developed by the Quaker Oats company. The "Wonka bar", a mixture of chocolate, marshmallow, and graham crackers, was very successful, and a classic example of art imitating life. [4] For all the success that the film - and the candy - faced, Dahl thought little of the enterprise; the screenplay that he had submitted was heavily rewritten by David Seltzer, and it did not meet the original author's approval.

One of the genre's few high-profile flops was THX-1138, a dark, dystopic picture directed by a formerly rising New Hollywood figure named George Lucas. Though not quite the disaster that M*A*S*H had been, it still did much to stop his momentum cold. [5] Any potential for rebound would have to be found within the studio system he so despised.

In recognition of the leaps and bounds made by science-fiction in the popular media, the Academy of Science Fiction in Films and Television, created by Dr. Donald A. Reed, organized the Saturn Awards, first presented in 1972. [6] Star Trek, which had been off the air for almost a year by the time of the first awards ceremony that May, nonetheless received the Saturn Award for Best Television Series, along with Best Actor for William Shatner, Best Supporting Actor for Leonard Nimoy, and Best Supporting Actress for Nichelle Nichols.

---

[1] Coincidentally, "The Fuzzies" was a working title for what later became the legendary Star Trek episode, "The Trouble with Tribbles"; the name of those creatures was changed specifically on account of the novel in question.

[2] IOTL, a second season was almost commissioned, but ratings had declined too steeply for the executives' tastes. Here, with the audacious Doctor Who crossover in place, and NBC reaping the rewards, CBS decides to take a chance. It helps that, given those Moonie Loonies, ratings stay just high enough to justify the risk.

[3] Quaker wanted the name of the film changed from Charlie to Willy Wonka in order to promote their Wonka bars. The urban legend that it was changed because of "Charlie" having connotations with regards to the overseas quagmire appears to be false; hence, despite the premature end to said quagmire, the name change sticks ITTL.

[4] IOTL, there was an error in the formula for the real-life Wonka bars, which caused the chocolate to melt too quickly. Quaker Oats, which bankrolled the film, sold the rights to it a few years later. ITTL, since the Wonka bars were successful, we'll assume that the accompanying film was also more successful. All five of the kids are played by different actors; Wilder and Albertson remain in their OTL roles. The song "Cheer Up, Charlie" (the only song that is neither set in nor describing the magic of the chocolate factory) was cut, but all other songs remain in place.

[5] IOTL, THX-1138 was re-released by Lucasfilm in the wake of the release of the original Star Wars, and even that wasn't enough to make the movie a hit. Therefore, it's a fairly safe bet that it's audience-proof.

[6] IOTL, the Saturns were created to honour science-fiction, fantasy, and horror. Here, given the higher profile of science-fiction relative to the other two, a greater need is felt to exist to honour it above the others. Also, thanks to the success of Star Trek and its imitators, the Saturns also cover television from the very beginning (making them akin to the Golden Globes).

---

Don't worry; there will be more on this subject. I just thought I would give you an amuse-bouche before I continued with the meat of the matter. Besides, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. "Far Beyond the Stars" is entirely my creation, except for the title. I'm sure many of you will have no trouble guessing its origin. We all know that Harlan Ellison loves to hear himself talk, so giving him this platform should be lots of fun. He had plenty of teleplay experience IOTL, so let's assume that he fancies himself the next Rod Serling.

Coming up next, the epic history of everybody's favourite lovable bigot! It should be ready in the next few days.

"Far Beyond the Stars" ...credited as the show's "Consulting Producer": Harlan Ellison.
That could be a dark, angry show.:eek: I suspect I'd like it a lot.:cool:
Brainbin said:
An H. Beam Piper novel called Little Fuzzy is filmed as The Fuzzies [1].
:cool:As a fan of Beam, I thank you.:):)
Brainbin said:
"UFO: 1999"
:rolleyes::p Even so, I like.:)
Brainbin said:
vehicle for a line of chocolate bars developed by the Quaker Oats company. The "Wonka bar", a mixture of chocolate, marshmallow, and graham crackers, was very successful
:cool::cool: I did not know about this. Thx.:cool:
Brainbin said:
high-profile flops was THX-1138...re-released by Lucasfilm in the wake of the release of the original Star Wars, and even that wasn't enough to make the movie a hit. Therefore, it's a fairly safe bet that it's audience-proof.
Suggests to me Lucas' golden touch is oversold. He gets the space opera, but, it seems, not the good stuff.:rolleyes: (I should, perhaps, reserve judgment. I haven't seen "THX-1138" in at least 20yr.)

Glen

A fine update, though I find the Fuzzies getting made just a bit odd.

Far Beyond the Stars from the DS9 episode where Sisko has visions of himself as a writer?

A fine update, though I find the Fuzzies getting made just a bit odd.

Odd but considering what's available for the "Family SF angle" it is not that surprising. Unfortunately it'll probably spawn an animated series for children that Fuzzie Fans will derisively call "The Fluffies" :D
Far Beyond the Stars from the DS9 episode where Sisko has visions of himself as a writer?
Ah, thought that seemed familiar.

Hmmm, even tho George the Mad appears to have been stopped before he starts I do wonder if he might collaborate with TV to get his early space opera vision out there. Perhaps we end up with fans arguing if The Skywalkers series was the first screen SF to do story arcs :D

Glen

So, was just perusing the BBC notes on the Third Doctor's serials and noted this bit from Spearhead from Space that seems oddly likely to appeal to the beginning of showing the Doctor in the USA.

"BBC's Audience Research Report on the opening episode noted that the reaction of contemporary viewers could 'hardly be described as enthusiastic,' although 'the majority... were clearly quite satisfied with it... It was perhaps early days to judge, most would say, but at least this introductory episode seemed up to standard and if the story so far merely "set the scene" and, rather neatly and quite convincingly, introduced the "new" Doctor Who, there was every indication that, once under way, the story would develop into the usual quite diverting "science-fictionish escapist" tale they had come to expect of the series. A few (but very few) admitted that they never had any time for this "childish rubbish", while a considerable number remarked that although a new Doctor Who series was not unwelcome and this first episode had appeal, compared to the series it replaced, Star Trek, it seemed naäve, and, to them, less satisfying. "Hardly an adequate substitute for Star Trek, and by comparison rather childish. But time will tell, and it's good enough in its own way." Altogether the consensus of opinion seemed to be that this new series gave every indication of becoming a Doctor Who adventure in the expected tradition - and certainly (many added) it appealed very much to children.'"

Uh, wasn't Ellison the guy who wrote a POSITIVE review of Turn-On? (And that doesn't count his "Dangerous Visions" books...) I think his series won't last...and may become a cult classic. Speaking of Ellison, would he be asked to write for Doctor Who? (You do know his famous quote, right?)

BTW, how did "The Prisoner" do? Was "Living in Harmony" still censored in the USA?

And, I thought Mike Teevee was perfect...

Glen

I just had a realization - given the intertwining of Doctor Who and Star Trek universes, it is entirely possible and even likely that people will assume that the dystopian alternate universe seen in the Doctor Who episode Inferno is the Mirror Universe at an earlier date seen in Star Trek!:eek:

Thanks to all of you for your comments! And now for another long volley of responses...

Just to note my own birthday, (since I see a few others have), I was born in February, 1980. A real fan of the classic TV though, ever since I was a kid.
Glad to see you're still reading, PW MAX. I can tell you right now that you were born in the right decade, and in the right month!

PW MAX said:
Still loving this timeline, can't wait to see what's next.
Thank you very much! More is on the way.

Yeah - I like a lot of his shwos, but Kung Fu doesn't fit really.
Paramount is going to be a sitcom house in the early-to-mid-1970s, no question.

Glen said:
Agreed, but I suspect most of us are betting that That Wacky Redhead will have both the bettter taste and the better skills/resources to actually pick and foster winners in her stable. Thus we imagine her failures, at least for the foreseeable future will be few and far in between.
Fair enough, but she's not perfect. Desilu is going to drop a few bombs eventually. IOTL, Grant Tinker and even Brandon Tartikoff made their share of mistakes. That Wacky Redhead will, too. After all, we have the profound OTL miscalculation of "Life with Lucy" as evidence.

Glen said:
Thank you (I think). This is not the first time I've been recognized for my communications volume.:eek:;)
It's nice to have a moderator keeping such a close eye on my thread ;)

phx1138 said:
Thinking of vested interests, where was Lucy on hiring cast & crew Desilu had worked with before? It occurs to me TTL's "Kung Fu" might use George Takei... Bruce as stunt double? (I presume having two Asian stars:eek: would be too much in this era.:rolleyes:)
So, you're thinking of a Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno situation? Maybe, but I doubt that Takei would ever go for it. He was extremely proud that Sulu's ethnicity was wholly incidental to his character. Would he want to "slide back" into a stereotypical role like that? I doubt it.

phx1138 said:
It's coming just at the start of VCR introduction, too, isn't it? This could make off-air tapes black market items at SF cons.:cool: Certainly any clips, or the goodie reel, would be precious. And with The Doc on air, a variety of "Brit invasion" including *"UFO" isn't far-fetched.
Hence my earlier reference to the second phase of the British Invasion. There's always been an appetite for "darker and edgier"; it just didn't hit critical mass until the 1980s. But there's certainly going to be a sub-culture ITTL that yearns for more cynical, pessimistic fare.

phx1138 said:
Does this mean a Midas touch? No, & it might do for there to be a real turkey bought because "I liked it".:eek:
That's an excellent look into the mindset of That Wacky Redhead.

More or less, yes.

Falkenburg said:
An excellent question. That's going to be the primary decision facing the senior management at Desilu in the coming years.

Falkenburg said:

Dealers Rule applies.

Triggers include;
Mention of "The Muppets"

Now I can see the advantages of having a bartender among my regular readers :D

We still have the Turn-On fiasco ITTL, so I would think that we still have this shift - though it would be interesting if somehow Dreyfuss still ended up playing the Michael character.
The development history of Those Were the Days is going to be the focus of our next update.

Suggests to me Lucas' golden touch is oversold. He gets the space opera, but, it seems, not the good stuff.:rolleyes: (I should, perhaps, reserve judgment. I haven't seen "THX-1138" in at least 20yr.)
I've never seen it at all. But given Lucas' iconoclastic New Hollywood nature, his stubbornness, and his insularity from changes in popular culture, we can assume that the film is mostly as IOTL.

Glen said:
That's right; and, ITTL, it's from the Bobby Darin song "Beyond the Sea".

Odd but considering what's available for the "Family SF angle" it is not that surprising.
This is my rationale. There's still a need to be family-friendly, and the Star Trek allegory-with-a-moral formula has proven very popular, which makes Little Fuzzy a natural candidate for a film adaptation.

The Professor said:
Unfortunately it'll probably spawn an animated series for children that Fuzzie Fans will derisively call "The Fluffies" :D
Well, there is a half-hour free for a new Saturday morning cartoon ITTL... :p

The Professor said:
Hmmm, even tho George the Mad appears to have been stopped before he starts I do wonder if he might collaborate with TV to get his early space opera vision out there. Perhaps we end up with fans arguing if The Skywalkers series was the first screen SF to do story arcs :D
Not so fast! We're actually very much as IOTL at this point. Whether or not he'll get his shot at redemption is another question entirely, but you should know better than to count him out. And we will be hearing more from Lucas in the the future.

A thought: what happens in Canadian TV SF? Does the greater success in the U.S. mean "The Starlost" isn't a complete dog?
And look at who created it! We'll have to see how his schedule looks in the next few years to answer that question.

"Hardly an adequate substitute for Star Trek, and by comparison rather childish. But time will tell, and it's good enough in its own way." Altogether the consensus of opinion seemed to be that this new series gave every indication of becoming a Doctor Who adventure in the expected tradition - and certainly (many added) it appealed very much to children.'"
That's a very interesting analysis. We'll see if TTL American audiences share this reaction.

Uh, wasn't Ellison the guy who wrote a POSITIVE review of Turn-On? (And that doesn't count his "Dangerous Visions" books...) I think his series won't last...and may become a cult classic. Speaking of Ellison, would he be asked to write for Doctor Who? (You do know his famous quote, right?)
Typical Ellison posturing! But how long this series will last is an excellent question. Something to note is that Ellison doesn't run the show. He has about as much creative control as Rod Serling did with "Night Gallery" IOTL. If he runs afoul of anyone, then those in charge will yank the leash; and when they do, he will not take it well. He's a ticking time bomb; always has been, always will be.

Orville_third said:
BTW, how did "The Prisoner" do? Was "Living in Harmony" still censored in the USA?
There weren't any noteworthy changes to the program, or to its American broadcast run, from OTL.

Orville_third said:
And, I thought Mike Teevee was perfect...
I actually liked all five OTL Wonka kids. Well, maybe not Augustus, but his arc is by far the weakest anyway, so that doesn't matter as much. Charlie is a very hard character to pull off, and Ostrum did a fine job (especially considering that he was a newcomer). Veruca, Violet, and Mike were all fantastic. But casting is a very ephemeral business, and since the butterflies have been flying around Hollywood since early 1967, they're bound to have an impact. We should consider ourselves lucky that the movie is so similar to OTL.

Thank you to everyone for 25,000 views! I'm still amazed that my timeline seems to have caught on. I'm looking forward to some of the updates I'm developing, and I hope that all of you will enjoy them as well. Coming up next is the long and convoluted history of Those Were the Days! It should be ready in the next couple of days, so until then!

Brainbin said:
So, you're thinking of a Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno situation? Maybe, but I doubt that Takei would ever go for it. He was extremely proud that Sulu's ethnicity was wholly incidental to his character. Would he want to "slide back" into a stereotypical role like that? I doubt it.
Not exactly the Hulk, just wondering if George could do the fights. He was pretty fit, judging by "Naked Time". Might be he'd be good enough. That said, I agree, slim chance he'd do it. And if you're casting for a role where martial arts is central, why not use Bruce? Same reason you'd cast Chuck as Walker...
Brainbin said:
Hence my earlier reference to the second phase of the British Invasion. There's always been an appetite for "darker and edgier"; it just didn't hit critical mass until the 1980s. But there's certainly going to be a sub-culture ITTL that yearns for more cynical, pessimistic fare.
:eek: Missed my cue there.
Brainbin said:
That's an excellent look into the mindset of That Wacky Redhead.
Not really. That's what I'd do.:D
Brainbin said:
I've never seen it at all. But given Lucas' iconoclastic New Hollywood nature, his stubbornness, and his insularity from changes in popular culture, we can assume that the film is mostly as IOTL.
From what (very little) I recall, you didn't miss much. Nor will anyone TTL.
Brainbin said:
This is my rationale. There's still a need to be family-friendly, and the Star Trek allegory-with-a-moral formula has proven very popular, which makes Little Fuzzy a natural candidate for a film adaptation.

Well, there is a half-hour free for a new Saturday morning cartoon ITTL... :p
As written, Beam's Fuzzies (I'm never sure if I should capitalize that...:confused:) were very kid-friendly: cute, smart, lawful, & fun. They were, in Golden Dream, very, very smart, showing there's room for more adult themes, too. Sneaking in some allegorical stories would not be hard.
Brainbin said:
And look at who created it! We'll have to see how his schedule looks in the next few years to answer that question.
That's why I thought of it.;) On one hand, bad as it was OTL, I wouldn't be sorry if it didn't happen. OTOH, as the only original Canadian SF I can think of... ("Forever Knight" was more horror. Not much better, either, IMO.:rolleyes: How it lasted 4 years, I'll never know.:confused:)

And here come the copycats!

Though that may be unfair, as a lot of shows/movies of this genre were buried in development hell until there was an example of success. In our timeline, it was Star Wars. In this timeline, it's a more successful Star Trek.

Disputes over H. Beam Piper's estate kept his books out of print until the 1980's, It may be difficult for the producers to get rights to make the film from Little Fuzzie.