The ATL Automobiles & Automakers Thread.

@Dan1988: I don't think any car has racked up more sales than the population of the Earth, my man. ;)

Timeline: Canadian Power/In Defense of Humanity

Manufacturer: Magna Company, Pontiac Automobile Division
Model Name: Pontiac Aztek
Model Type: Crossover Sport Utility Vehicle
Model Year: 2010
Nation of Origin: Canada, Mexico (first generation)
Model Run: 2001-2006, 2009-2018
Engine: 3.4-liter V6 (2001-2006), 2.4-liter supercharged Inline-4 (2003-2006), 2.3-liter turbocharged Inline-4 (2010-2018), 3.7-liter V6 (2010-2018), 4.7-liter V10 (2014-2018)
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive (AWD standard after 2004)
Transmission: 4-speed automatic (2001-2006), 6-speed automatic (2010-2018), 7-speed semi-automatic (2014-2018 Ultimate Aztek)
Weight: approx. 3800-4050 lbs (first generation), 3300-3700 lbs (second generation), 3650 lbs (Ultimate Aztek)
OTL Equivalent: Must you really ask? ;)

Description: The Pontiac Aztek started out as both General Motors' first crossover SUV, and as one of the most-maligned cars ever made, primarily for its styling, which on early models was at the very minimum controversial. Despite the styling issues, the Aztek was only a moderate success in the United States but scored big in Canada, leading to production of the vehicle being partially moved to Ontario in 2004. It came to be known as the "crossover that was born again" after the high-profile purchase of the Opel, Vauxhall, Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer divisions of General Motors by Aurora, Ontario-based auto parts giant Magna in 2008. Magna's purchase put Pontiac back into the truck business, and Magna got that off to a flying start by having the Aztek design improved and dropped onto Magna's long-developed SCV chassis. The new Aztek went on to be a major sales success, as improved styling and the fabulous chassis went on to be a hit among the buyers of crossover vehicles.

The king of this, however, was the Pontiac Ultimate Aztek. Introduced for the 2014 model year, the Ultimate Aztek pulled out all of the stops with regards to performance and is regarded as one of the fastest people movers ever made, in large part thanks to its awesome 4.7-liter V10 engine, which revved to 10,000 rpm and made a whopping 564 horsepower, giving the vehicle a 0-100 km/h time of 4.2 seconds and a top speed of 275 km/h. Even at a price of $60,000, the Ultimate Aztek became a hot seller, and factory-backed Ultimate Aztek entrants claimed the Targa Newfoundland and Targa Tasmania races outright in 2014 and 2015. The new Aztek model lasted until 2018, replaced by the Torrent, but by which time Canadian sales had been over 350,000 units and the vehicle had etched Magna in as a serious player in the auto industry.

The Ultimate Aztek:

pontiac_aztek_bettered.jpg

Oh, and here's the kicker: Dr. Ing. (doctor-engineer) Joseph Ganz is actually a real person - it is him, not Dr. Ing. Ferdinand Porsche, who can be claimed to be the actual inventor of the Volkswagen Beetle. :D

Wow. TBH, I'm surprised to see I'm not the only person here who knew who the guy was.

Timeline: Decades of Darkness
Model Name/Manufacturer: Camden/Fletcher Coyote Mark XIV
Model Type/Class: 2 door convertible
Model Year: 1949
Nation of Origin: United States of America
Production run: 1946-53
Examples: about 11,000.
Engine: 3.8 litre inline-6
Horsepower: 238 hp @ 4,800 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Weight: 3,723 lbs.
Description: This horst is quite the rarity in DoD's U.S.-In a sea of mostly unreliable clunkers, the Coyote is actually pretty well put together. But then again, due to it's high price and the fact that non-whites aren't allowed to buy these cars anyway in most states, it's not all that surprising.
OTL Equivalent: Best I can tell, it was supposed to be inspired by the Jaguars of OTL.

Timeline: For Want of a Nail
Model Name/Manufacturer: Santa Anna Revanche'
Model Type/Class: 4 door sedan
Model Year: 1974
Nation of Origin: United States of Mexico
Production run: 1968-1979
Examples: 164,376
Engine: 455 cid V-12
Horsepower: 395 hp @ 5,150 rpm
Transmission: 4 speed automatic
Weight: 4,470 lbs.
Description: Top-of-the-line Mexican sports sedan. Heavy, powerful, and very comfortable to boot.
OTL Equivalent: None that I can think of.

@Dan1988: I don't think any car has racked up more sales than the population of the Earth, my man. ;)

Timeline: Canadian Power/In Defense of Humanity

Manufacturer: Magna Company, Pontiac Automobile Division
Model Name: Pontiac Aztek

The Ultimate Aztek:

pontiac_aztek_bettered.jpg

under-rated car, and, arguably, five years too early

and, no class-action lawsuit from the Aztecs either!

Whilst we are on the same theme (;)):

1. Timeline: African Superpowers
2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Joseph Ganz Auto Design, Pty. Ltd.
3. Model Type: Ganz Phaëton
4. Model Year: Shown is the estate car variant of the Mk3 Phaëton, of which Mk3 models are much sought after by car collectors
5. Nation of Origin: South Africa
6. Production run: Mk1: 1948-1956; Mk2: 1957-1970; Mk3
most Mk3s on South African roads today usually being saloons, cabriolets, bakkies, or estate vans).

Volare by Monteverdi! f--- yes!!!!! :D

Wow. TBH, I'm surprised to see I'm not the only person here who knew who the guy was.

Timeline: For Want of a Nail
Model Name/Manufacturer: Santa Anna Revanche'
Model Type/Class: 4 door sedan
Model Year: 1974
Nation of Origin: United States of Mexico
Production run: 1968-1979
Examples: 164,376
Engine: 455 cid V-12
Horsepower: 395 hp @ 5,150 rpm
Transmission: 4 speed automatic
Weight: 4,470 lbs.
Description: Top-of-the-line Mexican sports sedan. Heavy, powerful, and very comfortable to boot.
OTL Equivalent: None that I can think of.

excellent automobile. had three at my hacienda, before the place was torched and razed to the ground. (cursed philistines.)

1974_iso_Rivolta_Fidia_Sedan_For_Sale_Rear_1.jpg

Oh yes - I love Monteverdis. :cool: Those are the type of cars that would get people to notice because they are so rare - at least on this side of the Atlantic.

I think for a while a Monteverdi was actually a less expensive way of getting a car with a classic Hemi than buying an actual Chrysler product with a Hemi, pretty weird.

Timeline:In Defense of Humanity
Manufacturer: Chrysler Corporation
Model Name: Chrysler ME-412
Model Type/Class: Two-door Supercar
Model Year: 2015
Nation of Origin: Canada
Production run: 2015-2020
Examples Built: 441
Engine: 7.0-liter V12 with four turbochargers
Horsepower:766 horsepower @ 7000 RPM
Drivetrain:Mid-engine, all-wheel-drive
Transmission:6-speed semi-automatic
Weight:3,428 lbs (dry)
OTL Equivalent:Again, must you ask? :D

Description: One-third of the Detroit rockets cars of the 2010s (along with the Cadillac Cien and Ford Shelby GR1), The Chrysler ME-412 was one of the alpha males among Detroit machines, with over 750 horsepower, a carbon-fiber body and structure with virtually no steel anywhere in the vehicle, the ME-412 was built to be the king of supercars and a technological showcase for Chrysler. It succeeded quite nicely on both fronts, and despite a price of a stunning $455,000, 441 examples were built by Chrysler's special projects facility in Valparaiso, Indiana. The car, with a 0-100 km/h time of three seconds flat and a top speed of 400 km/h, is a modern legend and easily topped both the Cien and the Shelby GR1 in absolute performance.

chryslerme412concept2.jpg

Timeline: Australian Motors

Manufacturer: Australian Motors, Limited
Model: CH Wombat
Size and Body Type: C Size Sedan, Wagon, Utility(Pickup)
Production Run: 1955-1957
Number Built: 8,000
Engine: 1.6 liter Inline 4, SOHC, 2.0 liter Inline 4, SOHC
Horsepower: 76 (51 Kilowatts), 92 (61 Kilowatts)
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Front Drive
Transmission: 3 Speed Manual, Cable Shift
Steering: Worm-and-Sector
Suspension: Front Single Wishbone with Lower Link, Coil Spring. Rear Independent Swing Axle with Double Watts Linkage, Leaf Spring
Curb Weight: 2300 Lbs (1045kgs)
OTL Equivelant: None Directly. Styling somewhere between an Opel Kadett and a Mini, but closer in size to a Ford Anglia

Model: GD Koala
Size and Body Type: D Size Sedan, Wagon, Utility,
Number Built: 18,000
Engine: 2.5 liter Inline 4, SOHC, 3.4 liter Inline 6, Pushrod
Horsepower: 105 HP (70 Kilowatts). 156 HP (103 Kilowatts)
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Rear Drive
Transmission: Four Speed Manual
Steering: Worm-and-Sector
Suspension: Front Single Wishbone with Lower Link, Coil Springs. Rear Independant Swing Axle with double Watts Linkage, Coil Springs. Utility Uses Live Rear Axle with Multileaf Springs
Curb Weight: 3050 lbs (1386 kgs)
OTL Equivelant: none specifically. Superficially resembled the Volvo Amazon, but with a 10 cm longer wheelbase

Model: IW Kangaroo
Size and Body Type: E/F Size Sedan, Wagon,
Number Built: 5000
Engine: 4.6 liter Inline 6, Pushrod
Horsepower: 189hp (125kw)
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Rear Drive
Transmission: Four Speed Manual, Three Speed Automatic
Steering: Worm and Sector
Suspension: Front Single Wishbone with lower leading and lateral links, Coil Springs Rear Independant Swing Axle with Double Watts Linkage
Curb Weight: 3600 lbs (1636 kgs)
OTL Equivelant: None Directly, Superficially resembled a Ford Fairlane front attached to a Hudson Hornet Rear

Last edited:

NothingNow

Banned
Model Name/Manufacturer: Hudson Javelin (Kaiser-Frazier Automotive)
Model Type/Class: Pony car, GT
Body Style: Two Door Fastback Coupe or Convertible,
Model Year: 1965
Nation of Origin: United States
Production run: 1965-1975 (US, Catalonia)
Engine: 258 or 308 cu in Straight Six, 350 and 380 cu in Hudson V8 or 424 cu in Hudson V12, 230 cu in Straight Six (Europe and Oceania only)
Horsepower: 260hp (stock single carb 308)
Drivetrain:Front Engine, Rear-wheel drive.
Transmission: 4-speed manual with overdrive, 4-Speed Manual, 3-Speed Manual, or hydramatic
Weight: 258 cu in - 2,450**lb
Description: Intended to supplement the Hornet as a smaller, cheaper vehicle, the Javelin was an Immediate success, even if it had been beaten to the market by the Ford Mustang and Plymouth Fury, as the Javelin's lighter unibody structure and more powerful engines made it a born winner. with the addition of the 350 and 380, along with the massive 424 V12, the Javelin pulled double duty as a Pony Car and GT. Unfortunately, North American sales dropped off drastically in the Recession of 68, not to pick up again until 1973, so the vast majority of sales occurred overseas, especially in Europe and Oceania, where a smaller 230 cu in engine was available for general use.
OTL Equivalent: AMC Javelin.

Model Name/Manufacturer: Fraizer Commander MkII (Kaiser-Frazier Automotive)
Model Type/Class: Utility Car/Rally Raider
Body Style: Two-door fastback Coupe
Model Year: 1980
Nation of Origin: West Germany/United States
Production run: 1980-1988 (US, West Germany, Brazil)
Engine: 1.8L flat Four or 2.3L flat six (optional Turbocharging) fuel injected Petrol engines, 1.6L flat four Diesel added in 1984 refresh.
Horsepower: (1.8L H4 pre-84) 90 or 110bhp depending on tune (post-84) 94-123 bhp depending on tune and variant.
(2.3L H6 pre-84) 115bhp (post-84) 134bhp
(2.3L H6T pre-84) 197bhp (post-84) 217bhp
(1.6L D4) 52-79bhp depending on tune and variant.
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, All-wheel drive.
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Weight: 2976 lb Loaded
Description: The Successor to the Successful Commander MkI, the Mark II was a more specialized vehicle on the A1 Platform, and focused much more on both general inclement weather use and Rallying, as the mark I had proven both to be extremely popular with Privateer teams at pretty much every level of racing. The Mark II's main improvements were a stiffer structure, better handling, along with 4wheel independent suspension and the introduction of a Hydropneumatic suspension system incorporating LHM for the first time, replacing the inferior LHS fluid. Performance was good, but body roll was somewhat more apparent than the previous version, and slightly more unnerving. Sales were good, but the general performance focus meant a reduction in utility, sacrificing much of the market.
OTL Equivalent: Audi 4000CS Quattro, Audi Quattro

Model Name/Manufacturer: Kaiser Henry J MkII (Kaiser-Frazier Automotive)
Model Type/Class: Midsize Car
Body Style: Four Door Sedan, Four door wagon.
Model Year: 1977
Nation of Origin: West Germany/United States
Production run: 1977-1987 (US, West Germany, Brazil)
Engine: Originally 1.3 or 1.6 L SOHC Flat Four, 1.8L SOHC Flat Four, 2.3L Flat Six and 1.6L flat four Diesel added in 1984 refresh.
Horsepower: (1.3L I4) 54 to 59bhp
(1.6L H4)75 or 84bhp depending on tune, 110bhp with Fuel Injection.
(2.3L H6) 134bhp
(1.8L H4) 94-123 bhp depending on tune and variant.
(1.6L D4) 52-79bhp depending on tune and variant.
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, Rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive as an option from 1984 refresh.
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Weight: 2646-3150lb Loaded
Description: The Successor to the Henry J MkI, the Mark II was larger, based on the A1 platform and a better performer, especially after the introduction of the Flat Six in 1984. Sales remained steady, although they never again matched the peaks attained in the "Lean Years" of 1969 and 1970. Sales in Latin America were quite good, driving Kaiser-Fraizer back to first place after years behind Ford and FIAT Iberia.
OTL Equivalent: Audi 80 B2/ VW Passat B2

Timeline: In His Own Right
Manufacturer: GM
Make/Model: LaSalle Series 55
Duration: beginning 1941
Nation: US
Engine: 332 in³ V-8; 140 BHP
Drive train/transmission: front engine; RWD; 3 speed manual transmission
Description: a continuation of the Cadillac Division's enormously popular "companion car"; this was a complete overhaul of the La Salle for the '41 model year. The production model of the first year is shown below, and it continues to this day.

1941lasalle_proto2.jpg

What I forgot to mention was that it was cumulative of all vehicles put together - Mk1 to Mk5. If we broke it down further, then it would make more sense. :p

Timeline: In Defense of Humanity
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors Corporation Canada, Magna Company, Assembly Division
Model Name: Mitsubishi i
Model Type/Class: Subcompact car
Model Year: 2013 onward
Nation of Origin: Japan, Canada
Number Built: 552,744 as of January 2020
Engine: Turbocharged three-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines, from 659cc to 944cc
Drivetrain: MR
Transmission: six-speed automatic with manual shift
Weight: 1,910 lbs
Description: Four-door microcar
OTL Equivalent: Mitsubishi i

In the aftermath of the travel, Mitsubishi Canada was seeking a market and was forced to immediately jump into the car business on its own, instead of just selling cars. After sorting out rights issues, Mitsubishi began producing cars in Canada in 2013 and moved all assembly to its own facilities in Reading, Pennsylvania and Geneseo, Illinois in 2016. What ultimately saved the company's in the new world was the tiny, but successful, Mitsubishi i microcar. The tiny machine proved to be a big hit among the lower classes of the Canadian and American car markets, and eventually those in Japan as well. The Mitsubishi i was Canada's best-selling car in 2015, rather to the embarassment of the Canadian automakers, and showed that quality small cars were very much in demand among the segments of Canada's economy still struggling to catch up after the travel.

mitsubishi-i-car.jpg

Okay. I'll take a shot at this:

Manufacturer: Vauxhall/Opel

Model Name: Nova

Model Type: 2-Door Sports Coupe/Cabriolet

Model Year: 2001

Nation of Origin: UK

Production run: 2001-2005 & 2005-2010

Number built: 316,476 Worldwide

Engine: (2001-2005)1.8 4-cyl/2.2 4-cyl/2.0 4-cyl turbo (2005-2010) 1.8 4-cyl turbo/2.0 4-cyl turbo/2.4 V6 turbo/2.4 V6 twin-turbo/2.0 4-cyl twin turbo common-rail diesel

Horsepower: (2001-2005) 118(1.8) - 197(2.0 turbo) (2005-2010) 140(1.8 turbo) - 270(2.4 V6 twin turbo) 168(2.0 CDTTi)

Drivetrain: FWD & 4WD (4WD standard on V6 models)

Transmission: (2001-2005) 5-speed MT & AT - (2005-2010) 6-speed MT & AT

Weight: 1300-1600Kg depending on model and options

Description: Launched as the spiritual successor to the Vauxhall Calibra (1989-1997), this model took it's name from the predecessor to the Corsa. Able to carry up to four adults, and with a decent boot, the Nova also boasted a solid, grippy chassis that allowed even the FWD versions to handle well on British B-Roads. The initial production run, however, suffered due to it's very drab, though well built, interior, unimpressive engines, and the cabrio version suffered a serious loss of structural rigidity. The result was that the intial version could only account for 30% of total sales.

The second run, however, was far more successful. Uprated engines, improved chassis, vastly improved interior, the 4WD option and V6 and diesel engines all served to ramp up it's status. Stiffening bracers for the cabriolet version restored it's ride and handling - a failing of the first version - at the cost of performance and mpg ratings. Perhaps the biggest shock, however, was Jeremy Clarkson declaring that the Nova VXR was the first Vauxhall he ever seriously considered buying in 2007 - though in the end, he didn't. Over 225,000 of the second version were sold during it's 5-year production run, before being replaced by the Calibra in 2011.

Last edited:
Timeline: In Defense of Humanity

Vehicle
: Pontiac Fiero (also sold as Vauxhall VX220)
Manufacturer: Magna Company, Pontiac Automobile Division (also assembled by Magna Vauxhall UK)
Class: Sports Car
Model Years: 2016 onward
Number Built: 46,820 as of January 2020
Assembly:
- Lake Orion, Superior, Canada
- Southend-on-Sea, Essex, United Kingdom
- Juiz de Fora, Minas Gerais, Brazil

Engine
: 2.5-liter inline-4, 2.3-liter turbocharged Inline-4, 3.7-liter V6
Horsepower: 155 (2.5-liter), 248 (2.3-liter turbo), 355 (3.7-liter V6)
Transmission: 5-speed manual (2.5), 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic (2.3), 7-speed semiautomatic (3.7)
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, Rear-wheel-drive
Weight: 1,920 lbs - 2,335 lbs
Description: Mid-engined, two-seat, open roof sports coupe. Along with the lower-priced, slower Solstice, the outright sports cars produced by the Pontiac division.
OTL Equivalent: Vauxhall VX220

The Pontiac Fiero / Vauxhall VX220 was a direct result of Magna's positioning of its automobile marques from the old world. Having purchased Pontiac, Saturn, Vauxhall, Opel and Hummer from GM, Magna immediately positioned Saturn as the everyday brand, Pontiac as the sports car and lifestyle brand and Hummer as the off-road vehicles, while Opel and Vauxhall remained wide-scale makers in their home countries. The Travel changed that mid-process, and forced Magna to scramble.

The Fiero was the last of the Pontiac models to be introduced (following the Sunfire, Grand Prix, Bonneville, Aztek, GTO, Vibe and Solstice) to finish out the lineup. The Fiero, which uses a bonded aluminum chassis and carbon-fiber bodywork, is regarded as one of the finest-handling vehicles on the road today. Even the slowest versions were quick, with 0-100 km/h times of around five seconds and a top speed of 240 km/h, with the ultimate Fiero Lightning being capable of the 0-100 km/h run in just 3.6 seconds and with a top speed of 296 km/h. At a base price of $37,700, the Fiero is not cheap - the Fiero Lightning costs a base of $64,999, which is far more but fairly inexpensive compared to similar performance cars from Chrysler, GM, Nissan, Toyota and Lotus. Rising demand caused the Fiero to begin being assembled in Brazil in March 2018 and in Great Britain in June 2019.

Vauxhall%20VX220%20Turbo%202003.jpg

I've got a new idea.

Timeline: Decades of Darkness
Manufacturer: Ajax Motoren Werke AG
Model Name: Blitzen Mk. II
Model Type/Class: 2-door large convertible.
Model Year: 1936-1944
Nation of Origin: Germany
Number Built: 24,528
Engine: 6544cc supercharged V-12, 365 hp @ 3,900 rpm
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Weight: 4,136 lbs.
Top Speed: ~140 mph
Description: Very high end luxury super-sports car, in the tradition of the Clarissa. Sold in high-end dealerships in every major country outside of perhaps South Africa.
OTL Equivalent: Possibly an amalgam of OTL's K-Class Mercedes and some of the Duesenbergs.

1. Timeline: Peace in Our Time
2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Chevrolet Pontiac Chief
3. Model Type: sedan & coupe
4. Model Year: 1934
5. Nation of Origin: U.S.
6. Production run: 1934-47
7. Number built: 288798
8. Engine: 223ci L-head straight 8
9. Horsepower: 85hp
10. Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear drive
11. Transmission: 3sp manual
12. Weight: 3000pd
13. Description: Cheapest sraight-eight in the U.S., and the most powerful Chevy ever.
14. OTL Equivalent: Chevy Master

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Buick Lasalle 12
3. Model Type: sports coupe & sedan
4. Model Year: 1934
6. Production run: 1934-41
7. Number built: 118383
8. Engine: 376ci V12
9. Horsepower: 135hp
12. Weight: 4300pd
13. Description: Sharing a chassis and many body panels with the Buick Series 60, and powered by an ex-Cadillac V12, it is the most expensive Buick yet. It competes directly with the Packard Twin Six and Auburn 12-160A and is an enormous success.
14. OTL Equivalent: Lasalle Series 37

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Packard Pomona
3. Model Type: sports coupe
4. Model Year: 1936
6. Production run: 1936-50
7. Number built: 77253
8. Engine: 445ci V12
9. Horsepower: 200hp
11. Transmission: 3sp manual (later 4sp manual or 4sp auto)
12. Weight: 4000pd
13. Description: Styling by Gordon Buehrig, complete with "coffin nose", no visible radiator, & no runningboards, is a sensation. It also benefits from Packard's new re-engineering (introduced on the 1935 Packard 12) to reduce production costs.
14. OTL Equivalent: Cord 812

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Auburn 851 Boattail Speedster
3. Model Type: sports convertible
6. Production run: 1936-37
7. Number built: 2105
8. Engine: 411ci V12
9. Horsepower: 165hp
12. Weight: 4000pd
13. Description: A facelifted 12-160, killed by Auburn's poor production methods & E. L. Cord's stock market troubles.
14. OTL Equivalent: 1936 Auburn 851/Duesenberg J

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Buick Lasalle Super 12
3. Model Type: sports coupe & sedan
6. Production run: 1936-40
7. Number built: 18203
8. Engine: 376ci V12
9. Horsepower: 170hp
12. Weight: 4300pd
13. Description: Supercharged V12 variant of the Lasalle 12, in response to the Pomona & 851. (The very similar Series 60 also benefits from improved sales.)
14. OTL Equivalent: Cadillac Series 80

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Packard Panther
4. Model Year: 1947
6. Production run: 1947-63
7. Number built: 23134
8. Engine: 400ci V12
9. Horsepower: 270hp
11. Transmission: 4sp manual or 4sp auto
12. Weight: 3000pd
13. Description: Fiberglass monocoque chassis is a sensation. Replaces the Pomona.
14. OTL Equivalent: 1955 T-bird

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Nash Dolphin
4. Model Year: 1948
6. Production run: 1948-65
7. Number built: 130341
8. Engine: 326ci V12
9. Horsepower: 325hp
11. Transmission: 4sp manual or 3sp auto
12. Weight: 3500pd
13. Description: Nash's top of the line coupe, with the company's first V12, it is a direct competitor with the Packard Panther. Styling by Dutch Darrin.
14. OTL Equivalent: 1958 Corvette

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Hudson Wasp
3. Model Type: 2-dr coupe, 2- or 4-dr sedan
4. Model Year: 1949
6. Production run: 1949-60
7. Number built: 592286
8. Engine: 308ci L-head straight 6
9. Horsepower: 120hp (police interceptor, 150hp; taxi, 100hp)
10. Drivetrain: Front engine, rear drive
11. Transmission: 3sp auto
12. Weight: 3800pd
13. Description: One of the cheapest cars on the U.S. market, with the largest-displacement straight 6 ever in a production car. It's power, economy, & low cost make it very popular as a police & highway patrol car (& is most often pictured as one, thanks to it being featured in TV's "Highway Patrol") & taxi. It also sees considerable success in NASCAR.
14. OTL Equivalent: 1951 Hudson Hornet

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Buick Skyhawk
3. Model Type: 2-dr GT convertible
4. Model Year: 1957
6. Production run: 1957-62
7. Number built: 23011
8. Engine: 412ci V12
9. Horsepower: 300hp
11. Transmission: 4sp manual or 3sp auto
12. Weight: 4200pd
13. Description: First factory custom, based on a sectioned & shortened Buick Special, it has Buick's first V12, Roots blower, Kelsey-Hayes wires, and fiberglass hood & trunklid.
14. OTL Equivalent: 1953 Buick Skylark/1957 T-bird

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Oldsmobile Starfire
3. Model Type: sports coupe or sedan
4. Model Year: 1951
6. Production run: 1951-60
7. Number built: 228406
8. Engine: 303ci V8 (supercharged version of the '49 OHV)
9. Horsepower: 200hp
11. Transmission: 4sp auto
13. Description: Olds' answer to the Packard Pomona, it shares body panels & chassis with the Buick LeSabre (actually a Buick 60 chassis).
14. OTL Equivalent: 1958 T-bird 4-seater

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Buick LeSabre
3. Model Type: sports coupe or sedan
4. Model Year: 1951
6. Production run: 1951-60
7. Number built: 197364
8. Engine: 264ci V8 (supercharged)
9. Horsepower: 210hp
11. Transmission: 4sp auto
13. Description: Shares body panels & chassis with the Olds Starfire.
14. OTL Equivalent: 1958 T-bird 4-seater

2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Nash Stingray
3. Model Type: 2- or 4-dr sedan
4. Model Year: 1959
6. Production run: 1959-66
7. Number built: 41801
8. Engine: 250ci V8
9. Horsepower: 157hp
11. Transmission: 4sp manual
13. Description: First muscle car: high-performance engine, transmission, limited slip rear axle, dual exhaust, & tires in one package at a reasonable price. Conceived by project manager John DeLorean. Nash dealers do not know what to do with it...
14. OTL Equivalent: 1965 GTO/1969 Road Runner

Question: anybody think these production numbers are way off? Comments here, or at PIOT, are welcome.

Last edited:
@phx1138: Nice! My favorites are the Nash Dolphin and Packard Pomona.

Here's another one for the 'For Want of a Nail' universe.

1. Timeline: (See above)
2. Model Name/Manufacturer: Arsenault Shediack
3. Model Type: 2-seat fastback Coupe
4. Model Year: 1972
5. Nation of Origin: Quebec
6. Production run: 1970-81
7. Number built: 55735
8. Engine: 5.3 liter V-8
9. Horsepower: 350hp
11. Transmission: 5-spd manual
12. Top Speed: 168 mph
13. Weight: 2,948 lbs.
14. Description: Very well known sports car from Quebec. Outperforms most other cars on the road today, and has won the make a number of trophies in racing circuits across the world.
15. OTL Equivalent: '63 Corvette/'52 Cisitalia 202.