Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
while Sweden-Norway was a union of crowns, much like England and Scotland (but I think less integrated).

England and Scotland have'nt been a Union of Crowns in over 200 years..

Sweden-Norway should be shown with Norway shown as a Dominion of Sweden, as legally Norway was a seperate, independent country, with only the King and Foreign Affairs being shared.

I left French color on Senegal because they definitely had a presence on some of the coast.

Actually that needs to be further in land; they held French Sudan (contemporary Mali) as early as 1881 or so. The real conquest of Senegal and West Africa in general began in the 1850s with the French victories over the Waalo and Toucouleur.

This shows the region in 1853. By '85 most of that is under French control.

Bulgaria was unified in 1885 by war it seems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbo-Bulgarian_War

It was the other way around actually, Serbia declared war on Bulgaria after East Rumelia and the Principality of Bulgaria merged/unified.

Also, it depends on the date of the map, while some have been going by Jan 1st of the year, other go by other dates, for instance I set the maps near the end of their respective years, so one map of 1885 may show East Rumelia and Bulgaria as seperate while another shows them as one state and both could be right.

It was the other way around actually, Serbia declared war on Bulgaria after East Rumelia and the Principality of Bulgaria merged/unified.

Also, it depends on the date of the map, while some have been going by Jan 1st of the year, other go by other dates, for instance I set the maps near the end of their respective years, so one map of 1885 may show East Rumelia and Bulgaria as seperate while another shows them as one state and both could be right.

Maybe maps should have the dates on the top left corner? Like those medieval ones that have 'OTL-1200' there so as to avoid confusion?

As an aside, I've been working on my own version of 1885 (though LSC was on the money in North Africa, so I borrowed his) and so far I've finished North America, Europe, half of Oceania and parts of South America (mostly just need to copy-paste and it will be done), Africa and Asia.

As an aside, I've been working on my own version of 1885 (though LSC was on the money in North Africa, so I borrowed his) and so far I've finished North America, Europe, half of Oceania and parts of South America (mostly just need to copy-paste and it will be done), Africa and Asia.

Okay, i made this for Western Africa, without the arabo-african states. I've doubt about Liberia, maybe should be claims instead?

sdffddfs.png

Okay, i made this for Western Africa, without the arabo-african states. I've doubt about Liberia, maybe should be claims instead?

Sokoto and the other West African states really shoul be shown, especially since the West African states have histortically been among the most state-like of Africa's histroica states.

As for Liberia, well I don't know really, while it was comprised of pretty much just the coast for several decades after independence, I think it was about this time it had actually expanded and taken atleast tentative control of more area (which is part of waht ultimately lead to France and Britain establishing fixed, official borders around it).

Why has Egypt had its borders changed? I've looked around the net for maps from the period and none of them show the borders that you guys have put on British Egypt.

Sokoto and the other West African states really shoul be shown, especially since the West African states have histortically been among the most state-like of Africa's histroica states.
I'm working on it, i put that now, for controlling the european lands in western africa.[/QUOTE]

...Sigh... Can someone point out what's wrong here?

The first 'english' should be capitalized? :p

EDIT: Oh, get what you mean. I suppose you're referring to the fact that should be British, not English. Of course, since most people in continental Europe still call Britain 'England' anyway, that mistake is not very strange.

Yeah, the projections are really hard to translate.

Looking at it I think the Northern border is actualy further East though, like the below;
I think the one I drew is more accurate (also improved the eastern border, btw). The trick seems to be to continue the line further north and see where it ends up if it curves nicely. Yours would dissect King William island rather than pass west of it. Here's the border without overlay:

188520canadameridionalb.png

Africa sort of improved in that i wiped out most colonies. I took a crack at the Mahdist Rebellion and included the Pink Map claims. I think I have the mentioned bits of the Pacific right. Reintroduced Hong Kong and Macau. Gave Morocco Rio de Oro, though that's probably wrong. I left French color on Senegal because they definitely had a presence on some of the coast.
Africais still a mess though.
Interesting to see the Pink Map.

Status
Not open for further replies.