Europa Universalis III

I've only just seen this post, but this got me thinking; if you move your capital to Paris, and then make Cosmopolitaine (French) your primary culture then you should be able to form France. This would be a major boon, as it means that all French cultures are accepted cultures in your nation, meaning you don't get any penalty to your tax income in provinces with those cultures.

Basically, at the moment you only get full tax income in your Irish provinces, and possibly in some French culture provinces that make enough money to be considered "accepted cultures". However, if you were to become France you would get the full tax income in all provinces with French culture.

Of course, if you form France then Irish may not be an accepted culture (though it might, considering your large colonial empire), meaning you'd get a penalty to tax income in your Irish provinces. Hmm.

After I read this, I went to make a quick check:

Ireland, all five provinces:
11.168 people, 35,48 ducats.

Province of Mexico, which would have been the capital in America:
9.922 people, 42,94 ducats (the main gold producing province)

Ille-de-France:
235.856 people, 42,33 ducats (that is not counting the rest of France)

As you can see, if I lost all of Ireland itself I would harldy notice the loss. But well, I am playing with Ireland... if I became France, that would hardly be the point of the game (even if it would be the realistic option...)... My original plan was to run away to America when England inebitably conquered the island, gather strength and build a proper armay and navy with the American gold, and then return and conquer all eleven celtic provinces in England and Brittany. This was delayed when I had to spend thirty years paying attention to France, and now it wildly succeded exile is unnecesary. Still, since for some reason your capital does not move to Dublin when you form Ireland, I may as well move to Paris...

Personally, I'd mod the game so Irish would be an accepted culture for France, or mod in a new French-Irish/Gaelic state that you could form with all French and Gaelic cultures being accepted. That might give you a bit too much of an advantage for your liking, though.

Mod.. yes, of course, mods. Of course I know how to mod, siree, honest... ~nods forcefully~ I am modding all day long...
Still, while I am usually one to cheat, moving the game settings is enough of a cheat for me (I elect colonists and priests free, plus 400 colonists with each colonist)

How's the HRE going in your game? Is there any chance of you becoming Emperor?

I dont' remember if I mentioned it, but I got France after a war of sucession with the Palatinate, and I spent all my money and diplomats kepping my relationships with France high, so, right now, they are low, and I must spend another small fortune to rebuild my army, as it seems all of the french soldiers decided to retire for a life on the country now than the mighty Ireland was protectiong France.... Soon I will have money to bribe electors as needed, but I have not decided if I will do it (I am honeslty considering the idea of, well, destroying the empire, our of sheer curiosity... I have always played nations on the outskirts of Europe, but now I have a chance....)

P.D: By chance, I discovered a fortune maker, which I have not mentioned as, being a noob, I though it was not my place to give tricks than everyone would know, but then I realized I am not the only AH.com newbie than would buy the game and then rush to this thread.

I have spent a fortune -well over 1500 ducats- in bribes to keep France happy. How did I manage, if Ireland produced the measley sum I posted above? When you invade the Mayas and Aztecs, being pagans, you can annex then all in one go. But if you conquer then, and annex all but the capital province, you can pad the remaining until 100% with tribute. They are loaded; I got 1500 from the Aztecs and 1000 from the mayas. Once the truce ends, you can eat then at your leisure, ofter with a single cavalry troop. I suspect the Inca may be similar.

Krall

Banned
That's because the North American countries have a lot of money and nowhere to spend it on.

Aye, the same goes for the various African countries.

Since you were planning on colonising vast tracks of barbarian wasteland anyway, Rakhasa, why not colonise vast tracks of barbarian wasteland that are closer to home, like Africa?

It'll be a good way to block the colonisation attempts of other European powers, and there are quite a few easily grabbed gold-producing provinces in Africa. In the region of Mutapa/southern Swahili there are no less than four gold-producing provinces held by pagans or Muslims with very low technology levels.

Mod.. yes, of course, mods. Of course I know how to mod, siree, honest... ~nods forcefully~ I am modding all day long...
Still, while I am usually one to cheat, moving the game settings is enough of a cheat for me (I elect colonists and priests free, plus 400 colonists with each colonist)

Well, I know how to mod nations, events and decisions into the game. I did once mod a united, Hindu, Indian nation into the game, as well as a Gaelic union, but I had to uninstall and reinstall the game at one point, losing my modifications in the process.

Last edited:
In my last game (as Spain) it was around 1540, I was just preparing my great crusade to Jerusalem when suddenly...

...four province Bavaria unified the HRE...

including Super Burgundy, Mega Bohemia, Netherlands-Norway & Austria.

Wait is that transylvania?

Aye, the same goes for the various African countries.

Since you were planning on colonising vast tracks of barbarian wasteland anyway, Rakhasa, why not colonise vast tracks of barbarian wasteland that are closer to home, like Africa?

It'll be a good way to block the colonisation attempts of other European powers, and there are quite a few easily grabbed gold-producing provinces in Africa. In the region of Mutapa/southern Swahili there are no less than four gold-producing provinces held by pagans or Muslims with very low technology levels.

Becuase I was not planing to "colonize", I was planning to move the capital. When I play a minor I often rush for either America or Africa, but my bane is tariff eficiency. The best I have managed, before France and hte money it brought, was a 43% tariff efficiency, and that fell to 15% when I got my first core on the contient and the colonies withing range exploded in number. That changes once you move the capital -in my game with Norway, I went from 40 ducats per year to 720, and that's with the stability fall a move capital brings- Even now, I will need years yet before I finish building enough ships.

But if you colonize two continents, you not only have to halve your colonizing speed in each, one of then will always be "far overseas", so, unless I play someone in Iberia (who is too close to ignore temptation) I either pick Africa or America.

Last edited:
Pax Ottomana, 1500:
Dark Green is once-owned Italian Territories, rest is the 1500 Area.

Pax Ottomana 1500.png

archaeogeek

Banned
So I've basically come to the decision to start rereleasing large regional principalities as the Ottomans to boost my efficiency and increase my neighbour bonus without having weakling vassals and I'm now amused... So now there's emirates of Serbia (covering Bosnia and the coast principalities), Dacia-Wallachia and Napoli. I'm now tempted to go on a "holy war, convert capital, annex" spreee and release every sub-region or ethnic group as a single local emirate answering to the empire back in Greece-Anatolia-Egypt-Arabia-Caucasia (plus a handful colonies) which are either Byz-culture or are in the process of assimilating (I set Turkish and Albanian as part of the Byz group for simple reasons of historical importance) XD

My Ottoman game, 1523.

Forced myself into a PU with the Mamluks; eventually inherited them. The Emirate (Noble Republic) of the Ottomans:

And yes, I do have southern Italy, up to and including Rome.

EU3_MAP_TUR_1523.7.20_1.png

My finished HRE from Burgundy Game - I took it slow to explore other possibilities then "CONQUER CONQUER CONQUER!".

My Burgundy years were at first, pretty easy - ganied the position of Emperor quickly and kept it. Then it got bad when France started to DoW me. Those wars went on - losing wars which I barely got away by bribing -and I got desperate. Thus I released a batch of vassals to get the IA needed for first Erbkaiserum and then Renovatio. The HRE was born in 1582.

The first 50 years were chaotic. Revolts everywhere - Overextention and Religious Turmoil didn't help. Luckly I managed to survive and I began to turn the tables. I became the curia controller and held it almost uninterruped for 200 years. I began to tug back on France - slowly, since I wanted to take my time for the French to suffer a painful death for what they did.

Britain - a vast colonial empire - started to collapse, with only bits and pieces remaining (with the Dictatorship of Wales gaining most of Britain proper). Castile (Aragon survived all the way!) suffered a similar fate - with Toledo being infamously conquered by Chile of all things. Brazil took over Brittany - but Brittany was reborn and got some of it back. Novgorod survived all the way to - confined to the Baltic and northen Scandinavia. Wu took over most of SE Asia, while India is dominated by Malwa and Deccan (IIRC). Even Sunni Bulgaria got their own colonial empire, taking East Africa!

eu3maphre1821121.png

Sometimes the Ai is rather stupidily headstrong...
I invaded the last Golden Horde province, to finally destroy the boogeyman than had given me so much grief in the first centruy of the game. It was allied to the Ottomans and guaranteed by the Timurids, but I had send a vast army to the frontiers to stop then while I took the Golden (not) Horde.

And then they began with the "they wil not accept this peace" dance... As Defender of the Faith, I must win a war, and since I was nto really interested in then I simply asked for 25 ducats. Nope. Onwards, conquer one more province to increase your percentage! By the time they sent the first peace offer I had about 100,000 troops on their lands, and was quite pissed, so I continued the war. In about five years I conquered both of then, when I did not mean to take any province...

I have started an experient. I haven't asked for peace, and since I have kept good relations with all my neigbors (except thos two), I do not foresee any sudden wars for one or two decades. I think I am going to wait while my war exaustion goes too high (and it has actually gotten smaller by two points!) and see what happens... I am on the eleventh yeasr of the war, six after I conquered the last province; while I have to deal with three rebellions a year on the conquered lands, on year eight provinces began to defect -six so far. Sadly they are scattered all over, so it will be a bitch to link all of then...

Well, I got bored of the invasion. This is the situation in the Russian Empire, Year of Our Lord of 1559, at the end of the Thirty Years War. A total of eight
provinces defected -Three ottoman and five Timurid-, but no province has fled in ten years. The shape is a bit strecthy, which I hate (I like my borders compact)
but I wanted to take Jerusalem and the Fars trade center, so I could not link all my conquests (Two of the ottomans were Morea and Naxos). I had to satisfy
myself with taking the souther hellenic province; I'll link in five years when the Ottomans give an untolerable provocation :cool:.

(I may have accidentally sent the entire might of the KGB to all the nationalist provinces while I was leaving... let's see how many have fled by the time they
rebuild an army)

For the rest of the world, there is nothing too remarkable. Rajputana has a part of Arabia, and has converted then to hinduism. And, for some reason, I find that
single British province in Indochina quite amusing (they got it somewhere in the 1540's)

eu3maprus1559981.png

archaeogeek

Banned
So out of curiosity I made a few quick calculations
- The single highest tax province is Delhi with 17 (o_O), while the highest two manpower provinces are Thrace and Breslau at 10.
However, these are outliers, the next highest is 14 tax (7 provinces) and 8 manpower (8 provinces). I was basically trying to calculate the optimal pocket empire. Also admin efficiency is thus that tech costs double at 8 provinces, triple at 48 provinces, quadruple at 88 provinces and quintuple at 128 provinces. Honestly I get bored out of my mind once the game gets over 60-ish provinces (as soon as I finish a conquering spree, the first reaction looking at the ledger for decisions is "oh crap" and then "vassal, vassal, vassal") and would ideally top at around around 30 provinces (enough for an empire, in a good region also enough for a tax income either above or around average; of course Scandinavia and some bits of the Americas suck). I think overall average might be somewhere around 3 or 4 for both but I haven't done the calculations :p - It really depends on the worth of the local provinces; Thrace, with tax 14 and Manpower 10, is relatively wealthier than 8 tax 3 provinces or 30 tax 1 provinces with some 2 thrown in, while Delhi by itself beats 8 tax 4 and 30 tax 2 provinces in terms of research. Of course by the late game tax becomes a bit less relevant compared to production but still.

From what I can tell the highest tax province in the Americas is Mexico (7); overall every new world province gets shafted for manpower, as do a bunch of asian provinces. It's semi-historical for the former, not for the latter. However I checked and adding one to the manpower of every province in America actually doesn't unbalance things much: the oversea penalty means that even Spain is only getting enough manpower for something like 4 or 5 regiments total. However, it makes things more viable for revolters, who will benefit much more. I also boosted every base tax in the Americas by one except for coastal US (It will be reconsidered), some of the Antilles (Curacao, the two Lucayas provinces, the Lesser Antilles except Trinidad, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Barbados) I had excluded from the manpower boost (the Arctic, as well). It again doesn't seem to boost the colonizing powers horribly while it's an enormous boon for the colonial revolters.

I also came to the conclusion that I like the random trade_goods system of In Nomine even less than the original fixed system (I'm supremely unlucky :p "NO MORE FUR DAMMIT" is my common reaction - then I cheat and load up the save game in textedit); of course if it was possible a system that expands on Whole World Mod with the possibility to pick the ressource to develop in a particular region (say from a small list of 2-3 for every colonial province) would be pretty nice. A small colonial country may well have other priorities than cash crops and fur if they're expanding in the new world :p - of course it would require some pretty large event files......
I think province decisions tailored to each trade good (so each province can get 1 out of 2-3-4) might do, I'll try to test it out (I also tried making "exile in the new world" decisions based on colonial cultures and the creation of countries tailored to their original country (e.g. Brazil for Portugal but also America and Canada for Great Britain, Louisiane and Canada for France, Colombia, La Plata, Peru and Mexico for Spain, I haven't tried it out for the Dutch yet and my first test was "Avalonia" as an ATL Breton colony)...

I also tried to balance out tech groups but I'll probably need more tweaks, right now my modifications to Aztec and Inca make them powerful (I give them non-tribal governments) but surprisingly not overwhelmingly so. There's still the problem that by 1520 the Inca Empire was hitting level 9 in military tech which is a bit too fast (I set all non-euromuslim groups to 0.7 research). I think I'll fix it by setting New World back to a starting level of 0. I needed about 15.000 soldiers just to take the Quito region against Peru in one of my test games instead of the typical "walkover by 1000 unsupplied cavalrymen" - after attrition went through my manpower reserves I also didn't feel much for an invasion. The problem is that the game doesn't represent the viral shock which is why it was a walkover in Peru, so large armies works for Central America, but not for South America. I also give starting points thus
- New World 1
- Subsaharan 2
- Muslim, Chinese, Indian 6
- Eastern 4
- Western 3

Setting muslim to 6 was a huge mistake, it makes the hordes unstoppable until they start imploding and the easterners catch up, but until then the Ottomans and Muscovy are toast. Additional mistake: I put too much of subsaharan Africa as part of muslim (and I somehow forgot to put Ethiopia in it). So plan B is to limit things such as: Ethiopia is either Muslim or Eastern, Mali and Adal are Muslim as is Songhay and potentially Swahili. And I'm really really not sure for the rest. So I'll revise thus: Muslim is back to 5, Chinese and Indian are at 6, Eastern is at 5, Western is at 3. Subsaharan stays at 2 but New World is brought back down to 0. I'm probably going to remove Despotic Monarchy from Aztek but not Inca. Some of the African "tribal despotism" would also translate better as feudal monarchies (Kongo, Ethiopia) and noble republics (Ashanti, Swahili given it's trying to turn a bunch of city-states vaguely swearing allegiance to the sultan of Zanzibar into a single state; alternatively, it might work out as a feudal monarchy). Basically I'm trying to reduce horde governments to hordes. North american natives retain tribal democracy. Research penalty will probaby be brought to 0.6 for new world and subsaharan (not sure about subsaharan).

I know it's kind of reinventing the wheel mod-wise in some aspects but until 4.1 is released no up-to-date mod can work on the mac version :( - also I hate Magna Mundi's interface with a burning passion

EDIT - Also I'm considering cheating a bit with south american regions; since The Spanish Main and Rio de la Plata don't really cover their historical extents, I'm thinking of editing and using them for the limits of the viceroyalties of RdlP and Nva Granada a lot like Brazil overlaps Amazonia and Rio de la Plata, because I'm dumb and forgot I could just add the regions ;) ).

Last edited:
The province decisions aren't THAT important, you know...

Also, fur is a great trade good for most of the game, since it's pretty high value (~20) from the get-go. Sure, it's not as good as sugar or spices in the 16/1700s, but that's a ways off... And where were you colonizing? If it was Canada, well, remember why the French went there in the first place ;)

archaeogeek

Banned
The province decisions aren't THAT important, you know...

Also, fur is a great trade good for most of the game, since it's pretty high value (~20) from the get-go. Sure, it's not as good as sugar or spices in the 16/1700s, but that's a ways off... And where were you colonizing? If it was Canada, well, remember why the French went there in the first place ;)

I remember why France wanted Canada, but it also grabbed naval supplies in Stadacona :p - and I was colonizing in south america, for some reason I kept getting "fur, fur, fur, f... wait why is every single coastal province in this colony producing fur". I think I managed to hit a point where I had only fur in the Spanish Main. That's what I mean by rotten luck.

(Also, the metric system and expand bureaucracy are pretty huge province decisions)

I remember why France wanted Canada, but it also grabbed naval supplies in Stadacona :p - and I was colonizing in south america, for some reason I kept getting "fur, fur, fur, f... wait why is every single coastal province in this colony producing fur". I think I managed to hit a point where I had only fur in the Spanish Main. That's what I mean by rotten luck.

(Also, the metric system and expand bureaucracy are pretty huge province decisions)

The second's junk (er...sort of. Certainly if, like me, you don't really use provincial decisions :p), the first is nice but that's only one province to check. Having a OPM or a 90 province empire makes no difference to those capital-only decisions. There really aren't that many particularly useful provincial decisions, and most of them can only be applied in a limited area.

And like I said, fur's not bad. Generally it has a trade value of about 20, much better than sugar or coffee or anything like that for much of the game.

I started a 1471 England game; since Edward IV doesn't die early in that game he manages to be alive until the 1490s at the least, and so I can exploit his awesome A/D/M of 7/6/7 for quite a long time.

Just went and curbstomped Iroquois and Huron, that gave me a foothold on North America.

KCammy

Banned
Can anyone give me a link to the download page for MIEOU for HTTT?

Another thing; With Civilisation Universalis, (Yet another mod which I am dying to try out) I install the correct version in the correct folder. It even came with an .exe for christs sake! And yet it is not available in the drop down menu in the start up window. :(

archaeogeek

Banned
The second's junk (er...sort of. Certainly if, like me, you don't really use provincial decisions :p), the first is nice but that's only one province to check. Having a OPM or a 90 province empire makes no difference to those capital-only decisions. There really aren't that many particularly useful provincial decisions, and most of them can only be applied in a limited area.

And like I said, fur's not bad. Generally it has a trade value of about 20, much better than sugar or coffee or anything like that for much of the game.

Heh, I love province decisions because canals, roads and post offices are probably the only way my small countries end up being such powerhouses by the end game. (IIRC it's like +40% cumultive trade value for your provinces)