Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Just one little thought about if the USA and the Confederation of Southern America split California. I cannot see Southern California developing the way it did. By the 1900's LA with its booming population was putting pressure on its own water supply thus needing to build an aqueduct to the Sierra Nevada with by the looks of the map only a small part of it lie in Confederation claims. Without the aqueduct Southern California would be dry and probably would not be as populous or economically as powerful as it could be. This provided I am correct in that the Sierra Nevada is the only source of water that can be found.

Glen

The Sakhalin Island was claimed by both China and Japan at roughly that time,the Russians did not really take hold of it until 1858..

Glen had a post where the Russian that OTL did most to advance Russian Alaska, and the Fur trade, ITTL went with the Sakhalin Fur Trade instead, so that Russia Claimed Sakhalin in the 18oughts.
[OTL the Sakhalin Fur trade is what Japan and Russia sniped each other over in the early 1800's]

OTL Japanese expansion in the - late 1700's/early 1800's - lead to Japan annexing Sakhalin in 1820.

What DQ says. Here the Russians are shunted to Sakhalin essentially, well before OTL's events.

I'm wondering if earlier Russian Control of Sakhalin to the North, may lead to Japan looking south, and a re-interest in Japans old historic claims to Formosa.

That's a very interesting question, and certainly a possibility we ought to look into as the timeline progresses. Of course, there are likely to be others equally interested....

Glen

I really do know what Hispaniola is :\ I just had a blonde moment.

Blondness noted.;)

Another thought has crossed my mind. After the ARW many of the loyalists took up the offer to add the postnomial 'UE' (United Empire) to their name as a permanent show of their loyalty - what's more, this postnomial was transferral to future generations. I gather that a small few still claim the title today but by and large the use of the term died out after two generations. With such a war occurring again here, not between former rebels and loyalists but setting loyalist against loyalist, is there a chance that the term could take on a far greater significance? Presumably it would have to be an initiative of the true loyalists (i.e. the one who are loyalists in this war too) as an initiative from London would probably just be heckled and derided by the defeated rebels (I'm going on an if here as the UK losing this war doesn't seem to work for this TL though on the off-chance it happens then I'm sure this idea could work in a slightly altered way). But perhaps, could the title be revived again after this war, with the loyalist leaders removing the rebels from the UEL institution and the term no longer being a sign of pride that meant little as the defeated party had their own country now, and becoming a true badge of honour in a "my ancestors saved our country" way? A bit like people these days often take pride in the stories of their grandfathers who fought in the war, only in this case only a few tens of thousands would be able to take such pride, rather than literally millions.

A very minor point that probably wouldn't affect the TL in any way (except it would be cool to see the odd provincial leader turning up further down the TL proudly calling themselves United Empire Loyalist generations after the war) but I love little ideas like this.

Note that Carleton ITTL also recommended the creation of the United Empire Loyalist honorific, and there are Southern families who have carried it on, especially those families who moved South due to their loyalty. There will be many who remain loyalist families ITTL (note the list of factions). I think you will see the U.E. be quite important to the doubly loyal, no matter what the outcome....

BTW, TTL's U.E. coronet uses palm fronds instead of maple leaves.:D

BTW, TTL's U.E. coronet uses palm fronds instead of maple leaves.:D

I may be missing something painfully obvious which will haunt me for ages, but...why palm fronds?

Edit: No, don't answer that. I worked it out the second I pressed submit :eek:

Glen

man1.jpg

The Quintanistas of Southern Mexico began their great push north in 1835. The Conservative Centralists in Mexico City found themselves in desperate straits. While the British had taken an officially neutral posture, the Quintanistas were in possession of all the major routes from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and the British as well as the Americans clearly wished to keep access to those routes. Thus the Conservatives were forced to make a deal with the devil in the form of Andrew Jackson of Texas. With the Texans already in California and New Mexico, and nothing to spare for the north, the Centralist Conservatives agreed to allow the Texan border to creep much further south than had ever been acknowledged before, as well as re-affirming the Texan claims to the Californias and New Mexico. Not only did this allow the Centralist Conservatives to concentrate on their existential battle for survival in the south, it also guaranteed loans and arms from Texas. Of course, in just a few months later, Texas would become much more distracted by events to the east.

Hey just wanted to say that I'm LOVING your TL. I had subscribed early on, but then got busy with school and hadn't been able to keep up with it, and just now got up to speed on everything. GREAT WORK!

DominionofSouthernAmerica.png
So would the world look like this now that Texas has more of its claims recognized? Or do the claims go down further?

And the USA has more of what would be Russian Alaska because of Sakhalin (forgot about that).

DominionofSouthernAmerica.png

Glen

Just one little thought about if the USA and the Confederation of Southern America split California. I cannot see Southern California developing the way it did. By the 1900's LA with its booming population was putting pressure on its own water supply thus needing to build an aqueduct to the Sierra Nevada with by the looks of the map only a small part of it lie in Confederation claims. Without the aqueduct Southern California would be dry and probably would not be as populous or economically as powerful as it could be. This provided I am correct in that the Sierra Nevada is the only source of water that can be found.

I think you are correct, but the water is flowing into the part of Southern California claimed, and I imagine they could still swing it just so long as the US doesn't divert the water first. Anyone have a good reference on this?

man1.jpg

The Quintanistas of Southern Mexico began their great push north in 1835. The Conservative Centralists in Mexico City found themselves in desperate straits. While the British had taken an officially neutral posture, the Quintanistas were in possession of all the major routes from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and the British as well as the Americans clearly wished to keep access to those routes. Thus the Conservatives were forced to make a deal with the devil in the form of Andrew Jackson of Texas. With the Texans already in California and New Mexico, and nothing to spare for the north, the Centralist Conservatives agreed to allow the Texan border to creep much further south than had ever been acknowledged before, as well as re-affirming the Texan claims to the Californias and New Mexico. Not only did this allow the Centralist Conservatives to concentrate on their existential battle for survival in the south, it also guaranteed loans and arms from Texas. Of course, in just a few months later, Texas would become much more distracted by events to the east.

Glen

Sounds like Texas could face a serious problem of over-stretch. How are they managing to provide much in the way of funds/arms to the Mexican conservatives with already being in a major war with Britain?

Steve

I've seen some Colonial era Maps showing SCarolina having a thin Strip West to the Mississippi. ?What Happened Here?

I'd assume sold to Georgia like OTL for simple convenience.

Glen, keep the TL up. It's fantastic. :)

May I ask if Quebec's demographics are different being part of a greater Anglophone state in TTL?

Glen

Hey just wanted to say that I'm LOVING your TL. I had subscribed early on, but then got busy with school and hadn't been able to keep up with it, and just now got up to speed on everything. GREAT WORK!

Thank you so much! It is always gratifying to hear from my subscribers!! Helps keep the will to write going!!!

And yes, I use too many exclamation marks.:eek:

Glen

View attachment 100856
So would the world look like this now that Texas has more of its claims recognized? Or do the claims go down further?

And the USA has more of what would be Russian Alaska because of Sakhalin (forgot about that).

You're world map is very similiar to my own. I would note that Texas actually isn't extending past the Nueces really ITTL. I agree with what was said somewhere else that the US isn't really that far in Alaska yet, except for the coast.

mowque

Banned
Read it all in one bit. Although know I'll have to wait for updates.....I didn't take notice, but do you have a schedule for updating?