Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
Just a random one, space-filling empires and Eternal Victorious Carthaginian Empire.

Bruce

Hmm, that's almost an inversion of the norm - Space-Filling Empires where there are usually many small states, and balkanisation where we have Space-Filling Empires in OTL :D

My map for MoF4

Zombie Victorians!

zombie_Britain_by_Nymain.png

The style is good, but what really impresses me is the fairly original concepts. Some of the American nations seem on the edge of plausibility for a Napoleonic POD to my mind, but they do not fall off the edge. Nice work.

I was this close to doing a Mormon analogue, but decided against it.

I agree, the map is really good Scarecrow! Napoleonic Bavaria remaining (and even expanding!) is something one doesnt often see, even though it would make for an interesting scenario.

Oh, but you eh, misspelled Berg on the map as Burg (castle) ;)

I got it right on the key though! If I could have figured out the flag of Bavaria it would have been up in time.

Just a random one, space-filling empires and Eternal Victorious Carthaginian Empire.

Bruce

Hide before Krall finds you.
This one's a reversal of the usual, though. Look at those American and African countries-- you don't see those in your run-of-the-mill random maps. The depiction of the Kongo Federation and Mayan vassals are quite unique, really. Most people would just give Africa and the Americas to one European power or another and be done with it.

What the hell is your problem?

1. Istanbul is full of recent immigrants from the countryside and the count is not considered reliable. Even disregarding that, it's an urban area with population outside the city limits. I also contains enormous numbers of transient residents not included in the census. Finally, half the population of the city is in Asia. You obviously didn't excel in geography in school.

2. I said "fully mobilized". You obviously didn't excess at reading comprehension at school. Turkey has universal conscription.

If you'd care to point to any Turco-wanking, please do. If you think a country of 11 million is going to defeat a country of 75 million in a war, you're entitled to your opinion, idiotic as it might be, but that still doesn't make betting on the country that's seven times larger "wanking". I suppose you think Belgium could conquer Paris, too. You obviously didn't excel at logic in school.

1. That is the total population for Istanbul, both sides of the Bosphorus. Certainly the figures are not certain to be accurate but that would mean a big inaccuracy. Although I grant you it's population is increasing fast.

2. Why not? Finland effectivly deafeated the Soviet Union, the Greek City States defeated the Persian Empire, a ragged army (well, mostly ragged) army of Scots defeated the English. I could go on but the point is that the size of the nations population is not a dead set way of ensuring a military victory. Sure turkey could send waves and waves of young men at the Greeks, but the political implications of that would be devastating. There is more to winning a war than just military force (certainly important). While I seriously doubt that Greece itself would be able to outright win such a war and take any land but equal it could be the same for an opposing force.

3. Belgium is a country, Paris is a city, two different political and social concepts and common features of geography.

My problem was that too many people seemed to simply be jumping down Hapsburgs throat without a shread of thought, simply based upon the "ones dick is bigger than yours" theory. His POD (although ASB) allows for the reasonable justification of what he presented. I think his TL is quite interesting, even if ASB.

Russell

People dismember the Ottoman Empire and Turkey in 99% of TLs. My issue is only when it's gratuitous or totally illogical. If I objected to every case, I wouldn't have time for anything else.

I do however agree with you that in to many TL's the Ottomans do generally get really humped by the rest of the world.

3. Belgium is a country, Paris is a city, two different political and social concepts and common features of geography.

...But to conquer Paris, Belgium would need to be trouncing France in a war, at which point the analogy of "country taking on an enemy several times its size" becomes relevant.

...But to conquer Paris, Belgium would need to be trouncing France in a war, at which point the analogy of "country taking on an enemy several times its size" becomes relevant.

True enough, but theoretically in a war, France may be at war with many nations but I still doubt that Belgium would be able to effectivly siege such a city.

Russell

Hapsburg

Banned
If you think a country of 11 million is going to defeat a country of 75 million in a war, you're entitled to your opinion
In a conflict where said country of 75 million is up against far more than just the country of 11 million, yes it's possible. Especially since in said conflict, Greece doesn't go into the Turkish mainland, except Hatay, and that's only after Coalition bombing runs on Turkish industrial centres and military installations. So, those "fully mobilized" citizen-soldiers are barely being used in said conflict.

In a conflict where said country of 75 million is up against far more than just the country of 11 million, yes it's possible. Especially since in said conflict, Greece doesn't go into the Turkish mainland, except Hatay, and that's only after Coalition bombing runs on Turkish industrial centres and military installations. So, those "fully mobilized" citizen-soldiers are barely being used in said conflict.

Is a military victory possible? Yes.

But an occupation of a country with a population seven times your own? Not likely.

Susano

Banned
True enough, but theoretically in a war, France may be at war with many nations but I still doubt that Belgium would be able to effectivly siege such a city.

Russell

...and you dont see any parallels there?

Besides, "x is a city, y is a country" is irrelevant. Population numbers is relevant. And when the city has as many or more people as the country, than the city is equivalent or more than the country.

Hapsburg

Banned
Is a military victory possible? Yes.

But an occupation of a country with a population seven times your own? Not likely.

Who said Greece, or anyone, is occupying all of Turkey? Did you even read the TL? :confused:

Greece is extending military protection over the Istanbul and Nicaea regions because the legitimate Turkish government fled there after a coup in Ankara. Greece annexed Thrace except Istanbul. Istanbul is not part of Greece.

Russell

So you agree that it would be ridiculous to insist that a small country could wrest a larger city from a huge country. I'm glad we agree! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.