Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

I only ever allow for male only inheritance to avoid any chance outside dynasty inheriting

I try to go for Absolute Inheritance and marry ALL of my daughters materially, that way the inheritance is secure, or at the least either get them marriages with distaff members of my dynasty, OR make them into Nuns.

I try to go for Absolute Inheritance and marry ALL of my daughters materially, that way the inheritance is secure, or at the least either get them marriages with distaff members of my dynasty, OR make them into Nuns.

I turn matrilineal marriages off because they're ahistorical

I turn matrilineal marriages off because they're ahistorical
A-historical isn't the word I would use as there were rare instances of children taking the dynastic name of their mother in European history. An example I can name right away, though it's from the XVIIIth Century, is that of princess Louise Hippolyte of Monaco: she married Jacques François Goyon, count of Matignon but the children took the name of Grimaldi to allow the dynasty to survive. So Matrilineal marriage were possible historically. That being said, they oftened hapenned for a very specific set of reasons, usually to allow the dynasty to survive, and they required an agreement between both families and sometimes their liege lord (in the case I mentionned, the King of France had to give his approval). This in turn explains the rarity of such unions.

This is where the game hits a limitation: it chose to base itself on dynasties but if it were to follow the historical truth, Game Over would be bound to happend everytime you had a female ruler. Matrilineal marriages thus had to be made far more common than it historically was.

A-historical isn't the word I would use as there were rare instances of children taking the dynastic name of their mother in European history. An example I can name right away, though it's from the XVIIIth Century, is that of princess Louise Hippolyte of Monaco: she married Jacques François Goyon, count of Matignon but the children took the name of Grimaldi to allow the dynasty to survive. So Matrilineal marriage were possible historically. That being said, they oftened hapenned for a very specific set of reasons, usually to allow the dynasty to survive, and they required an agreement between both families and sometimes their liege lord (in the case I mentionned, the King of France had to give his approval). This in turn explains the rarity of such unions.

This is where the game hits a limitation: it chose to base itself on dynasties but if it were to follow the historical truth, Game Over would be bound to happend everytime you had a female ruler. Matrilineal marriages thus had to be made far more common than it historically was.

This is why I hope that Crusader Kings 3 will be based on 'Bloodline' rather than a specific dynasty, that way you can have a female ruler, let the dynasty change, and it not affect the flow of the game. Plus it would be more authentic to the historical era, and it would be more interesting to see how a line of descent grows and evolves without it all being based on one particular house.

You can start out as a minor count, then a few generations later due to inheritance and war have a female Duchess that marries a Prince that's third in line, then after a few 'accidents' she gets to be a Queen, her children Princes and Princesses and members of a more prestigious house, then her titles get inherited by her son when he comes of age and his father has suffered an 'accident'. Then his line continues for a few generations, they win wars, they lose wars, the Kingdom either grows or fails based on your decisions, then it comes down to a single female heir who marries a foreign King, creating a union of the crowns through their children... But one title is passed by inheritance, the other by gavelkind, so the story continues, with a new house and a completely different Kingdom, but if the line fails without heirs then it's passed to his brother in the original Kingdom.

That too me would be more realistic than a game that forces you to stick with one dynasty for centuries, when in reality only a handful of dynasties lasted much longer than two or three centuries.

There's also the second House of Lusignan- Hugh III of Cyprus took the surname of his mother Princess Isabella of Cyprus rather than his father Henry of Antioch.

In more recent history you have the post-1740 House of 'Habsburg' (which is really the House of Lorraine, and is sometimes referred to as Habsburg-Lorraine) and every post-1762 'Romanov' (who are actually the House of Holstein-Gottorp, and are very rarely referred to as Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov).

There's also the current royal family, with (some of?) Elizabeth's descendants being declared members of the House of Windsor (leading Phil to complain "I am nothing but a bloody amoeba. I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his own children."). Of course Philip uses his mother's (anglicised) family name of Mountbatten rather than his father's Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg, so I guess that makes him a hypocrite or something.

So Charlie is an agnatic member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg (a branch of the House of Oldenburg) whose father uses the name Mountbatten (which is really Battenberg, which is a branch of Hesse-Darmstadt) but who officially belongs to the House of Windsor (which is really Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, which is a branch of the Wettins).

That too me would be more realistic than a game that forces you to stick with one dynasty for centuries, when in reality only a handful of dynasties lasted much longer than two or three centuries.

I don't disagree with you, but doesn't that take some of the difficulty out of the game? Wouldn't your system radically reduce the chances of a game over?

I personally just marry any daughters that look like inheriting off to other members of my dynasty. If I don't have any other members of my dynasty then I'll use matrilineal marriages but try to make it somewhat 'realistic' (a lower class house, a younger son etc.).

don't disagree with you, but doesn't that take some of the difficulty out of the game? Wouldn't your system radically reduce the chances of a game over?

I personally just marry any daughters that look like inheriting off to other members of my dynasty. If I don't have any other members of my dynasty then I'll use matrilineal marriages but try to make it somewhat 'realistic' (a lower class house, a younger son etc.).

My thinking is that if it's proven that the 'bloodline' has been broken due to an affair and that there are no legitimate heirs then the game ends.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
My thinking is that if it's proven that the 'bloodline' has been broken due to an affair and that there are no legitimate heirs then the game ends.

Thing is currently Affairs and other adulterous actions are kind of broken in CKII and would take alot of work to work.

So....I was busy fighting a war and didn't notice the Black Death had arrived and wiped out my entire family. I have no heirs and I am an lunatic cannibal with a horse as court physician.

Great.

Asami

Banned
J3QJ3VX.png

My realm (Great Britain) in 822. Wales pays tribute to me as their suzerain, but 'Little Britain' is integrated as a vassal.

In my Denmark game we won a crusade for the Palestine region (don't recall what exactly it's called in-game) created the Kingdom of Jerusalem but don't actually control the city of Jerusalem due to a revolt there I believe...

The latest Dev Diary came out. It mainly dealt with changes they're doing to the interface to improve the quality of gameplay.

Among interesting features, game rules will be categorized along the lines of what they change in the game. It will also be possible to save up to three different configuration of game rules, should you wish to use the same rules from your previous games. This should make it easier to define the rules of the game you're going to play.

They're also doing something that I believe will actually ease a few of the problems that came with Conclave. The council is particularly getting attention: upon naming someone on the Council, you will now be able to check which position (Loyalist, Pragmatist, Glory Hound, Zealot or Malcontent) they're going to take upon nomination. This shoud help tremendously people who had problems on getting laws passed because of a council they couldn't master: now, it will be easier to name a council full of "yes men". Still along the council lines, it will also be possible to simulate how the council will vote on a law before proposing it by asking your councilors to take the law into consideration. This will probably make it easier to track which laws the council would be ready to vote in favor.

In regards to Conclave's education system, it will be easier to check how childhood traits affect the potential education a child can receive: the trait icons will show alongside the education icon with a green outline if they have a positive effect and a red outline for a negative effect.

Finally, the last feature is something that should help those having trouble naming their children: a name randomizer will be added. Four options will be possible: Random (will take a name from the name list), named after a Parent, named after a Grandparent or named after a random ancestor. That is mainly cosmetic but it's a change that I personally approve of, especially since the options for the randomizers will help the historicity a bit.

Overall, I like these changes.

Finally, the last feature is something that should help those having trouble naming their children: a name randomizer will be added. Four options will be possible: Random (will take a name from the name list), named after a Parent, named after a Grandparent or named after a random ancestor. That is mainly cosmetic but it's a change that I personally approve of, especially since the options for the randomizers will help the historicity a bit.

Yeah, that's the thing I am most looking for. I don't have Conclave so I'm a bit meh on the rest of the improvements.

The latest Dev Diary came out. It mainly dealt with changes they're doing to the interface to improve the quality of gameplay.

Among interesting features, game rules will be categorized along the lines of what they change in the game. It will also be possible to save up to three different configuration of game rules, should you wish to use the same rules from your previous games. This should make it easier to define the rules of the game you're going to play.

They're also doing something that I believe will actually ease a few of the problems that came with Conclave. The council is particularly getting attention: upon naming someone on the Council, you will now be able to check which position (Loyalist, Pragmatist, Glory Hound, Zealot or Malcontent) they're going to take upon nomination. This shoud help tremendously people who had problems on getting laws passed because of a council they couldn't master: now, it will be easier to name a council full of "yes men". Still along the council lines, it will also be possible to simulate how the council will vote on a law before proposing it by asking your councilors to take the law into consideration. This will probably make it easier to track which laws the council would be ready to vote in favor.

In regards to Conclave's education system, it will be easier to check how childhood traits affect the potential education a child can receive: the trait icons will show alongside the education icon with a green outline if they have a positive effect and a red outline for a negative effect.

Overall, I like these changes.

Now I won't have to take pictures of the cultural name options on my phone.