Here is one I created a while a go for the 1st Terran Regiment, a fanon Imperial Guard regiment for Warhammer 40k.

Terran_Regimental_Flag_Final.png

This Halo flag is for regiments recruited from Reach during the Human-Covenant War, particularly the 1st Regiment. It is based on the Hungarian flag because much of Reach was settled by Hungarians. It uses the colors of the Hungarian flag and it has the Patriarchal Cross which is on the Hungarian Coat of Arms. The Eagles symbolize strength and rapidity in times of war, which are reaching for the laurel leaves which symbolize victory. A hungarian translation of the 1st Reach Volunteer Infantry Regiment is at the top.

Flag of 1st Reach Infantry Regiment.png

This Halo flag is for regiments recruited from Reach during the Human-Covenant War, particularly the 1st Regiment. It is based on the Hungarian flag because much of Reach was settled by Hungarians. It uses the colors of the Hungarian flag and it has the Patriarchal Cross which is on the Hungarian Coat of Arms. The Eagles symbolize strength and rapidity in times of war, which are reaching for the laurel leaves which symbolize victory. A hungarian translation of the 1st Reach Volunteer Infantry Regiment is at the top.
<snip>

I like the idea, though I sense the misleading hand of Google Translate in that text, it definitely doesn't mean what your English text means! ;) For a start, először means 'first of all', not '1st'. For that, you need 'első', almost always written '1.' (the full stop makes all the difference).

A better translation would be:

1. Reach-i Önkéntes Gyalogezred

Reach is still known as Reach in Hungarian. 'érd el' is an instruction to someone to reach for or touch or achieve a definite thing ("Érd el a plafont!" = "Touch the ceiling!") so what Google told you actually means, roughly, "First of all, touch it, volunteer infantry regiment!". But if you absolutely wanted a noun then 'hatókörzet' is the normal translation. So using that instead of 'Reach' would give:

1. Hatókörzeti Önkéntes Gyalogezred

I like the idea, though I sense the misleading hand of Google Translate in that text, it definitely doesn't mean what your English text means! ;) For a start, először means 'first of all', not '1st'. For that, you need 'első', almost always written '1.' (the full stop makes all the difference).

Reach is still known as Reach in Hungarian. 'érd el' is an instruction to someone to reach for or touch or achieve a definite thing ("Érd el a plafont!" = "Touch the ceiling!") so what Google told you actually means, roughly, "First of all, touch it, volunteer infantry regiment!". But if you absolutely wanted a noun then 'hatókörzet' is the normal translation. So using that instead of 'Reach' would give:

Google Translate messed up that bad?! HaHaHaHaHaHa! Thanks for the correct translations, I will fix it when I have time. Also, do you have any suggestions for better translators?

... Also, do you have any suggestions for better translators?

Erm, for Hungarian the only other one I've tried is Webforditas which is Hungarian (but that link takes you to the English version). It's usually a bit better than Google. But it's still not great, Hungarian hasn't had so much work done for machine translation so that's still a bit primitive compared to, say, English-Spanish. Both Webforditas and Google Translate also sometimes get complex stuff spot on while getting what looks simple badly wrong. I guess the complex stuff has better context in it than simple statements. I just tried Google Translate again with "1st Reach Volunteer Infantry Regiment" and it gave me "1. Reach Önkéntes gyalogezred" which is almost perfect. It just needs the '-i' on Reach, so it obviously didn't realise that Reach was a placename. Translators handle words differently if they're capitalised in the middle of a sentence, too.

Try both sites and always start with a capital, and punctuate. That helps. If it's a placename then leave it out the text to translate, then stick the English name back in the translated text at the same point and put '-i' at the end, as a rule of thumb. If you've got time, try putting each translated word into Wiktionary and check the translation back into English, that should flag up any really odd ones.

Or message me and I'll give it a go :)

The Vodka's good but the meat is rotten.

Free Company Badge.png

Not a colour, more part of a colour or cap badge design
for the Terran Free Companies in Star Wars: Unknown Earth Redux.

Fixed

Flag of 1st Reach Infantry Regiment.png

Hapsburg

Banned
Regimental colours of a unit of the Central Galactic Union Army. The CGUA's vexillology is primary rooted in British, Prussian, French, and American models.
The regimental colour is a dark green standard with a large Maltese-style cross on the obverse with an Army-style national emblem clutching the Earth in the middle of the cross. The reverse shows the name of the regiment, with an Iron Cross badge and an Order of Merit badge at opposite corners.
Each battalion in a regiment carries the regimental colours, and the first battalion of a regiment also carries the national standard. Individual companies also carry a guidon, whose colour is based on the service branch colour.

The regimental colour's pole is capped with a Galactic Eagle, in imitation of Napoleonic standards.

Army Unit Colours.png

Last edited: