President Forever and other 270soft games Megathread

Got off a great 48 game as John Bricker. Won the nomination in a tight race against Dewey, ready to take on Truman. Picked Everett Dirksen, and made him hop to and fro between Mass and Rhode Island while I campaigned in the south. Of course, when the Dixiecrat convention rolled around, the game buggered up. Thanks a lot, Strom Thurmond...

SMwjkx.png

So PMI got an update that includes Australia 2016, and after a few attempts due to crashing I finally got a game where I killed Labor:

coXrBCA.png

My take is beyond crashes and bugs, it's a good scenario. Turnbull has really good stats though which in conjunction with cheap billboard ads, strong speeches, and favored newspaper endorsements can turn the Liberal campaign into a steamroller, as evident by me almost eliminating all opposition parties beside my National coalition partner. It gets to the point of hilarity just how devastating it can be. Haven't really tried a Labor campaign yet, but I can tell it's definitely more challenging facing a better candidate whom has most endorsers already leaning towards him.

I just got the game for Christmas, and I have no idea how anything works. I'll ask for help later, but for now I'll just post surprising results of games where I did nothing as a third-party candidate.
Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 6.22.31 PM.png

McCain was set to win at least 130 electoral votes, including Texas.

The Continuing Story of Tom Vilsack
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 10.14.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 10.20.39 AM.png

Also by Trump.
All this leading to...
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 10.26.41 AM.png

Compared to the prediction on the last day, McCain picked up Texas, and Vilsack won the Dakotas, Missouri, and West Virginia. Vilsack was leading in Texas by six points, and McCain won it by 17.

Glorious Gordon

They had called him bottler, unelected, worst PM in modern memory. He would show them all. He stood at the podium besides his oppenents, this would be his throw of dice.Labour had recoevered from the worst of it, they were only a few points behind the Tories. There was a chance. He was confident, he practicsed and he know just be Gordon, experienced leader with a vision of Britain.Cameras went on, showtime.

'That was great Gordon' Brown heard from one of his aides, it had been good, it had been a close contest but many were calling him the victor. He could get use to this he thought as moved around the press room.

'And we are calling Sunderland South for Labour' Gordon Brown gave himself smile he had done it or least they were saying he'd done it, a Labour victory, fourth one in a row. It had been a long campaign but it had been good. His favourite moment had been Camerons dismal performance in the second debate and his attacks on him which he had just swatted away. It wouldn't be the biggest majority. But now he wasn't a bottler or unelected and he would show the world what 5 more years of Gordon Brown could do for Britain.

2010.jpg

Edited funds to reflect actual spending in 2010. Played as Clegg and trounced Cameron and Brown in the debates. Had a fairly realistic election for a change, with the exception of UKIP, who managed to unseat Jack Straw in Blackburn...

w80o4w.jpg

Edited funds to reflect actual spending in 2010. Played as Clegg and trounced Cameron and Brown in the debates. Had a fairly realistic election for a change, with the exception of UKIP, who managed to unseat Jack Straw in Blackburn...

w80o4w.jpg

Can I ask you what you changed the funds to? I'm only asking because I created the scenario and won't mind feedback on it. Funding numbers were from Prime Minister Forever 2010, as were constituency percentages.

Also when I was making the scenario I believe I had missed necessary changes in support for certain parties as I had based the entire scenario off 2015 and the BNP off UKIP. I believe Blackburn and one other or two constituencies were ones that I had missed, as the BNP would have the same support as 2015 UKIP but not be on the ballot leading to a UKIP surge as the right-wing alternative.

It's funny because it had crossed my mind today whether I could do 2005, remembering this. I could take a look at Blackburn and what else needs a bit of fixing. I hadn't updated it since I first released it, but I probably should now.

Can I ask you what you changed the funds to? I'm only asking because I created the scenario and won't mind feedback on it. Funding numbers were from Prime Minister Forever 2010, as were constituency percentages.

Also when I was making the scenario I believe I had missed necessary changes in support for certain parties as I had based the entire scenario off 2015 and the BNP off UKIP. I believe Blackburn and one other or two constituencies were ones that I had missed, as the BNP would have the same support as 2015 UKIP but not be on the ballot leading to a UKIP surge as the right-wing alternative.

It's funny because it had crossed my mind today whether I could do 2005, remembering this. I could take a look at Blackburn and what else needs a bit of fixing. I hadn't updated it since I first released it, but I probably should now.
Thanks for creating the scenario Prussian,I'm not sure on funding but the problem is unlike in US version your automatically spending vast numbers on background stuff and fundraising options are more limited so dont know if games engigne can simulate a truly British campaign. My criticism could you create a separate party for respect as I always find it annoying with independents and George Galloaway always wins which is annoying

Thanks for creating the scenario Prussian,I'm not sure on funding but the problem is unlike in US version your automatically spending vast numbers on background stuff and fundraising options are more limited so dont know if games engigne can simulate a truly British campaign. My criticism could you create a separate party for respect as I always find it annoying with independents and George Galloaway always wins which is annoying

You're welcome, I do appreciate it. I never particularly found funds to be a definitive problem unless I played as a minor party (where funding is actually a problem) so I didn't change it from the PMF's numbers.

For Respect I don't believe I added them as a separate party because they just did so poorly and didn't win any seats, therefore I didn't want to put in the effort of adding them. Looking back on that I'm not sure why I didn't, as they only run 11 candidates which is pretty easy to add in. I think I'll make Respect separate in that case.

Edit: I've updated the scenario to fix the constituencies and also added Respect.

Last edited:

Hey Prussian,

Thanks for a great scenario! Am looking forwards to playing the update.

I set the funds to the following:
Tories- £16m
Labour- £9m
Lib Dems- £5m
UKIP- £800,000
SNP- £350,000
Greens- £350,000
Plaid- £300,000
BNP- £40,000
Northern Irish Parties got £100,000 each

I half expected it to make a more uneven game, however seems not to have affected the results too much!

I half expected it to make a more uneven game, however seems not to have affected the results too much!

Hmm, is that so? So do you still suggest I change funding if the result isn't much of a difference? Also (having time to sleep on this) keep in mind spending in the RL election and spending in game can be different if you're already changing the circumstances such as running a successful Labour game or having a Lib Dem surge. Like a result where Gordon Brown wins a majority will in all likely require more spending than one where he doesn't.

Hmm, is that so? So do you still suggest I change funding if the result isn't much of a difference? Also (having time to sleep on this) keep in mind spending in the RL election and spending in game can be different if you're already changing the circumstances such as running a successful Labour game or having a Lib Dem surge. Like a result where Gordon Brown wins a majority will in all likely require more spending than one where he doesn't.

True, perhaps Labour should have slightly more than the ~£9 million they spent for game purposes. That being said, the Tories have spent just over £15m for three GEs in a row, so I feel the £12m they were given in the original PMF was too low. As I say, it doesn't change the results radically, and is more of a personal preference than anything!