The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

How do the two sides keep a resistance from coming out of the neutral zones?
It looks like a big chunk of Russia is still free, but how much they can do depends on if Stalin managed to evacuate industry beyond the Urals.

It looks like a big chunk of Russia is still free, but how much they can do depends on if Stalin managed to evacuate industry beyond the Urals.

Dick never fleshed out a lot of these things - wasn't essential to the narrative and the ideas he was trying to work with, it seems.

But as far as the Rockies neutral zone is concerned, it sounds like both Axis powers rely on a combination of puppet governance and heavy intelligence infiltration there to keep any resistance movement from reaching any serious threat.

We know even less about Russian Siberia. But it's probably not far removed from what Calbear paints in his Anglo-American-Nazi War TL: one or more rump Soviet or post-Soviet states, forced to send heavy shipments of raw materials and workers to the Reich and possibly Japan as well.

Judging by the state of the American neutral zone, I suspect any heavy industry in these regions has been forcibly shipped back to Germany or bombed to oblivion. I don't think the neutral zone represents the extent of the Axis advance, as much as they are areas the Axis retreated from after a few years because it was too costly to maintain operations.

My estimation of the world based on that map.

TMITHC.png

Last edited:
Maybe, but that certainly is not the case in the show.

I'm curious about what the South is like in the TV version. I'm just started re-reading the book and they seem to depict the South as being somewhat autonomous within the Reich or possible even an independent ally of them.

I'm curious about what the South is like in the TV version. I'm just started re-reading the book and they seem to depict the South as being somewhat autonomous within the Reich or possible even an independent ally of them.

All of the book interpretations I have seen feature an independent new Confederacy. I suspect the South in the TV show is part of the Nazi administration from New York.

Would the Neutral Zone in Russia be that big though? I imagine that the country was divided in half equally, with a wall in between the two borders. Kind of like the DMZ, but with brushfire and underground resistance movements.

Last edited: