Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

im dead serious m8
upload_2016-12-9_18-41-0.png

Here are the British islands Ca. 1520 Ad
EDIT: The pale is shown as part of england here

Last edited:
I've some resources that can be handy on some periods (mostly Antiquity, Middle-Ages and Modern era), so don't hesitate to send me a PM. (Some maps can take months of research if well done, so if we can all use some shortcuts)

There are the color scheme keys that work out well with historical maps : ancient Revised Colour Scheme for situations prior to 1648, and Revised Colour Scheme (for the others)

I'm still working on this 117 AD map myself.

January 814 needs some corrections there and there (mostly coastlines), but it's mostly done.
dTtwezR.png

I've a 1940 map somewhere but I don't find it

Well, it's a good start, but France seems quite off.
- Dauphiné borders should not only reach Alps, but go a bit on the Italian side too (Marquisate of Saluces). Arguably, most of eastern borders of France are a bit weird looking (here's a good enough map for comparison)
- France inner polities should appear (Kingdom of Navarre should appear with all the estates it had in France, Duché de Bourbon, Duchy of Brittany, Duchy of Nevers, Albret's Estates, etc.)
- Comtat Venaissain should appear as distinct from France
- County of Rousillon wasn't part of France yet and won't before almost a century and an half.

I'm sorry, but French borders are simply too off, even for a draft. I strongly suggest you to use the basemap with rivers if it helps.

Well you did get some good ideas by looking at already existing maps, but the 1500 one is sloppy on many regards. If I were you, I'd just go with the rivers/political basemap, and begin from scratch. It's going to be relatively annoying (believe me, I did many thing from scratch in the maps I did for OTL depository) but eventually, it's gonna pay off in quality.
I could do some attempts myself, but it's going to take some time.

Borders, except for the Lorraine area, didn't really changed between 1547 and 1520.

I'm half way through a 1907 map by the way. Just saying so that no one else tries to map it. Don't know when I'll finish it, but I'll post it here when I do.

Well you did get some good ideas by looking at already existing maps, but the 1500 one is sloppy on many regards. If I were you, I'd just go with the rivers/political basemap, and begin from scratch. It's going to be relatively annoying (believe me, I did many thing from scratch in the maps I did for OTL depository) but eventually, it's gonna pay off in quality.
I could do some attempts myself, but it's going to take some time.

Borders, except for the Lorraine area, didn't really changed between 1547 and 1520.

i just did start from scratch i am working on the lorraine area but good source maps are hard to come by

I know (and believe me, it's a walk in the park compared to finding reliable maps for Early medieval era). I can scan the maps I have on this era tommorrow if you need some tough.
For the time being, the 1547 map is good enough (except for the Three Bishoprics and the Marquisate of Saluzzo) that you can use it.

how would you draw them then
your previous source was for 1547 i am making 1520
EDIT
View attachment 298789

If you're doing this, then you should really be doing two things:

1. Utilising a physical map as well as a political map to be able to refer to more information

2. Cross-referencing maps around your date because it's going to be rare to find one of the date you actually want.

So for the example of the Dauphiné, if you compare LSC's linked map of 1547 to this map of 1453 you can see the shape of the border with Savoy appears to be the same. Check with the Wikipedia article as a starting point, and you see that the province didn't change hands during this period. Combine these together, and you can deduce that, for the initial draft at least, you can use the same border for 1520.

The latter map then has the advantage that it's a bit larger and with more detail in town names- compare with a modern map of France and you can see how the province must extend into modern Italy to account for the visual differences.

Centennia is the spawn of the devil, and is only outdone in wickedness and blasphemy by worldhistorymaps website.

Because Centennia maps are a sloppy work from whoever cartographer that pulled it while he couldn't be bothered to go into precision and research even if their lives depended on it.
It's quite unreliable (even if it does get better by the XIXth century, but I suspect that is because there's simply too much sources and details for them to avoid it even if they tried).

And worldhistorymaps is a notoriously unreliable website, whom author is essentially basing his work oon...I don't know, depending how the wind blows, giving it mixes XIXth century maps sources with quite dubious theories.

I'm working on the french situation in 1520, meanwhile.