Through the Endless Grey: An Alternate TL-191

Prologue

Charleston, South Carolina
April 1, 1934

It was a Sunday today. Clarence Potter had grown used to days like this; he would wake late, read the Friday papers he’d picked up from the café he frequented on Saturday afternoons, listen to the news on the wireless, and ponder the cases his private investigation outfit had going at that particular point in time, as he drank cheap coffee in his cheap boarding-house room and listened to the church bells as the faithful went to prayer.

Today was not one of those days.

Gunfire rattled in the streets, which lay empty save for the occasional townsperson scurrying to and fro with provisions or a bawling child or a Tredegar. Here and there, a house would fly the Freedom Party rag or the Rad Libs’ yellow banner. And on the gentle spring air, rich with the smells of azalea and jasmine, the acrid stink of smoke sliced through and stung the nose.

And Clarence Potter was not taking the liberty of sleeping late or drinking coffee or listening to some inane radio play today. Instead, he was counting his cartridges and checking the safety on his service pistol, and wondering how the hell he was meant to make his way to the other side of the front line – which, unless he missed his guess, was now somewhere around the old Roper Hospital. If he could make it to the Citadel, Potter thought, it might be possible that the Whigs runing things there had managed to maintain some island of order amongst the chaos. Considering, however, that he himself was on Warren, this task would be neither simple nor pleasant.

“Oh, well,” he murmured as he donned the heavy coat he’d taken to wearing in his fun little second life as a hired detective, “it was fun while it lasted.”

And with that he walked downstairs, into the war.

Manassas, Virginia
September 9, 1916

A green-grey horde was on the move on the north bank of the Bull Run, visible in the crisp, clean Saturday morning sunlight. Jake Featherston had all the targets in the world to shoot at, right there over open sights. Under ordinary circumstances, this would have been any artilleryman’s dream.

These were not, however, ordinary circumstances. Jake’s boots were as worn out as they had been at any time since the retreat from Baltimore, his stomach growled as loudly as it had at Goose Creek, and his fury towards the damnyankees and the Red niggers was if anything more acute than it had been at any other time in the last two years.

What was different now was that the guns had, as of 9:09 Eastern War Time, stopped firing. From the mountains of Sonora to the plains of west Texas to the spilled-out and torn-up guts of Tennessee to the hell on earth which had visited the Army of Northern Virginia’s home turf, the third war in sixty years between north and south had ended.

Which was where another difference had made itself apparent; for the first time, the Confederate States of America were on the losing side.

Featherston cursed all of these facts, loudly and ad nauseam, to anyone within range of hearing (and, considering his volume, possibly within range of the First Richmond’s guns).

“We woulda had the fuckers licked,” he roared for the umpteenth time since nine a.m., “if the nigger-lovin’ old cocksuckers in Richmond hadn’t’a hung us out to dry!”

As his comrades-in-arms shrugged or talked amongst themselves or shrugged off their sergeant, Jake kept fuming.

He’d have his revenge. Not just on the damnyankees and the Negroes, no – that day would come sure as sunup, what with a million and change other good Southern men out for revenge as well – but on the deadwood within the CSA who needed pruning.

Sooner or later.

Last edited:
Rad-libs fighting Freedomites in the streets of Charleston. I want to know how this came about, so count me in for this wild ride.

I suspect that in Charleston, even more than in most parts of the South, those Whigs are going to decide if whether its the Legitimists or the Populists who seize control over this particular battleground; Potter PI is going to have to shift FAST if he wants to avoid that Stalwart firing squad!:cool:

Oh Tsar of all the Kiwis, please be assured that I am delighted to see this thread and outright eager to see far more of the CS Civil War that you have in store for us. May I please ask if you will be following only the Confederate PoV characters from the AMERICAN EMPIRE novels or will you instead show events through eyes both Northern and Southern?

Huh. Do go on. Is there a specific in-universe POD that caused an earlier end to the First Great War?

Also, did the war end early in Europe as well?

My guess would be that the United States has changed rather less than the Confederate States in this variation on Timeline-191; by the sounds of things they'll still have to deal with a peculiar mixture of Triumph and Slaughter (thought it seems that Mr Roosevelt may even have a far greater majority in this History than in the canon).

My guess would be that the United States has changed rather less than the Confederate States in this variation on Timeline-191; by the sounds of things they'll still have to deal with a peculiar mixture of Triumph and Slaughter (thought it seems that Mr Roosevelt may even have a far greater majority in this History than in the canon).

How do you figure TR has a bigger majority?

Well in this variation on Timeline-191 he appears to have concluded The Great War - the most Epochal Triumph in US History to date and the most glorious End to that Nations humiliation since the War of Secession - right in time for the Election of 1916 (and since the Great War is shorter by a year then the casualty lists are proportionately shorter).

Hence my suspicion that TR may well be EVEN MORE Popular in this branch of the Timeline, to the point where he might actually win that Third Term (if he plays his cards well).

Are the terms the US gets from the CSA ITTL the same as occurred in TL-191 (albeit a year earlier)?

I fear that we shall have to await His Imperial Majesty of Long White Cloud-land before we can be certain, but I think we might reasonably assume that the terms of the Treaty are roughly equivalent to those imposed in the course of the Mainstream Timeline-191.

I fear that we shall have to await His Imperial Majesty of Long White Cloud-land before we can be certain, but I think we might reasonably assume that the terms of the Treaty are roughly equivalent to those imposed in the course of the Mainstream Timeline-191.

According to his status, he's online now. Hopefully he comes back to this thread at some point.

Yes indeed! I will be very sorry to see this fine idea fade into Obscurity, should that unhappy outcome come to pass.:hushedface:

I leave that to your own discretion, for I'm not quite sure whether or not that would be the most sensible thing to do; quite frankly I suspect that the Tsar of all the Kiwis will post only when he is good and ready (however much I would like to bring forward that Happy Day), so one would be reluctant to hassle him with time-honoured "Please sir, we want MORE" of the Eager Audience and other desperate urchins. ;)