Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Salvador_e_Ba%C3%ADa_de_Todos_os_Santos.jpg

Bahia de Todos os Santos

After the Global War, the nation of Bahia was anxious to protect against future invasion and preserve independence from other nations in South America. Bahia had a strong multicultural heritage with an impressive mix of Catholic, Protestant, Islamic, and African traditional religions. Some of the nation's earliest trade partners were Morocco and the United States of America. Muslims were prominent in Bahia political and economic life, and had built strong ties to Morocco across the Atlantic.

The United States at the turn of the century was looking for ports for the US navy, important for protecting the vast shipping interests of the Americans. Morocco was the earliest nation to recognize the US, and one of the earliest to provide her navy portage rights. The Moroccan-American Naval Agreement was used as a model for the Bahia-American Naval Forces Accord.

Bahia de Todos os Santos quickly became one of the most popular ports of call for American Sailors, especially during Carnival. Bahia's Carnival celebration was the largest in South American, only rivaled in North America by the Dominion of Southern America's Mardi Gras celebration.

Flag of Bahia

Flag of Bahia.png

Firstly, good set of recent updates, apologies for the lack of feedback on yours truly's part :eek:. The bit on the Malthusians' condemnation of the British Empire gives me the willies about a possible second Global War, or at least a long spate of smaller wars and conflicts, given enough friction (and of course, there is the remaining Thuggee terrorism issue...). Now here, we get to see America actually do something other than sell arms and send volunteers to their cousins in the last war! And of course, they picked an awesome spot to set up another naval base abroad :cool:. Also, good note about Mardi Gras' fame relative to Carnival, given they're basically the same thing in practice.

Glen

Firstly, good set of recent updates,

Thanks, FleetMac!

apologies for the lack of feedback on yours truly's part :eek:.

Meh, I can hardly complain about a lag in response, given how long I was absent!

The bit on the Malthusians' condemnation of the British Empire gives me the willies about a possible second Global War, or at least a long spate of smaller wars and conflicts, given enough friction

I know, right?;)

(and of course, there is the remaining Thuggee terrorism issue...).

Yes there is...

Now here, we get to see America actually do something other than sell arms and send volunteers to their cousins in the last war! And of course, they picked an awesome spot to set up another naval base abroad :cool:. Also, good note about Mardi Gras' fame relative to Carnival, given they're basically the same thing in practice.

Thanks and thanks!

It does make for an intriguing setting. I have to wonder, amid the Anglo-Malthusian snippiness ongoing and the USA seeking more international involvement, might we see another go at Russia in a North Pole war at some point. C'mon, USA+Scandinavia vs. Russia, it'd be epic! :cool: Meanwhile, other than Anglo-Indian tensions, would you say the DSA has any other possible hotspots they'd maybe involve themselves in? Not that a possible war in India isn't quite enough, naturally.

Also, as a Navy man, I seriously must commend your choice of Bahia as a base, it's not only a good window to the Indian Ocean via Good Hope, but also an amazing natural harbor (and a scenic one as well) that I can see somebody getting in on at some point, if Brazil's not capitalizing on it.

Glen

It does make for an intriguing setting.

Thanks!

I have to wonder, amid the Anglo-Malthusian snippiness ongoing and the USA seeking more international involvement, might we see another go at Russia in a North Pole war at some point. C'mon, USA+Scandinavia vs. Russia, it'd be epic! :cool:

How very cold war of you! ;)

Meanwhile, other than Anglo-Indian tensions, would you say the DSA has any other possible hotspots they'd maybe involve themselves in? Not that a possible war in India isn't quite enough, naturally.

Could be - them there Southrons get around!

Also, as a Navy man, I seriously must commend your choice of Bahia as a base, it's not only a good window to the Indian Ocean via Good Hope, but also an amazing natural harbor (and a scenic one as well) that I can see somebody getting in on at some point, if Brazil's not capitalizing on it.

Thank you muchly! Bahia is a bit like ttls haiti, except much more successful - and yes I'd hate to waste such a wonderful bay!

As to Brazil...over every Bahian's dead body! They hate each other!!

Glen

The series of famines that struck several continents in the latter half of the 1920s suggested that the growing global Malthusian movement had credence. The first one hit Central Africa, sending many famine refugees to flood Kongo.

However, the most significant of the famines was the one that struck Chuen China. The death toll is believed to have reached 5 million. A faction of the Imperial Bureaucracy saw this as a sign that Western Malthusianism might have value, when properly tempered with Confucian wisdom.

greatfaminechildren.jpg

Interesting, North China running off with there own version of Malthusianism?

Still hoping for South China and North China to go to war :p

There's a three-China situation going on, right? Southern republic, northern Han dynasty, and independent Manchuria. I think it would be interesting to see how that situation would evolve if China stays non-unified.

Glen

There's a three-China situation going on, right? Southern republic, northern Han dynasty, and independent Manchuria. I think it would be interesting to see how that situation would evolve if China stays non-unified.

Yes - United States of China, Chuen China, and Manchuria.

I know most writers hate being pestered for maps, but I think a map is probably warranted at this point. I would be interested in seeing what the world looks like right about now. :)

Glen

186px-Traditional_Irish_halloween_Jack-o%27-lantern.jpg

Traditional Irish Jack O'Lantern from a turnip
Jack-White-Pumpkin-Carving.jpg

Modern Jack O'Lantern from a Ghost Pumpkin

The tradition of Halloween has a complicated history, but most of its roots come from the traditions of Ireland and Scotland, but was refined in North America. In the United States of America, it was the Irish who were the first to promulgate the traditions, especially adopting the practice of carving the Jack O'Lantern from a turnip, instead using the larger and easier to carve ghost pumpkin. In the Dominion of Southern America, it was the Scots who promoted the holiday, especially the practice of children Guising and going to houses for Souling - begging for treats. An interesting social wrinkle in the DSA of the 19th and 20th century was that the costumes children wore obscured their color and it was considered a time in the South when it was even easier to overcome the barriers between peoples, if at least for a night.

In New Orleans there was a large Hispaniolan community who mixed the traditional Halloween customs with those of the Voodoo tradition of Baron Samdee, and he would become like a Father Christmas for Halloween, with the Halloween traditions spreading back to the Province of Hispaniola and Baron Samdee spreading first throughout the Dominion, and from there to other parts of the British Empire, the United States, and France (both through her close affiliation with Britain and the strong ties to the northern parts of the United States). Many schools would have Halloween Guise Parades on the day, and let children off All Hallows Day (November 1) to recover from their night of revelry (and sugar stupor). By the 1930s, children all over the world were celebrating the coming of Baron Samdee and Halloween, a holiday rivaling Christmas.

baron_samedi_by_kingovrats-d636cz4.jpg

I'd always thought that Haitian vodou traditions would make a perfect anodyne to the Scots-Irish "Samhain"/All Hallow's Eve practices of OTL. Now we just have to introduce Halloween 3's death mask story and the "Atmosfear" VHS board game series to this TL :p. Good work!

Glen

I know most writers hate being pestered for maps, but I think a map is probably warranted at this point. I would be interested in seeing what the world looks like right about now. :)

Map will take a while - I tried to work on it when you mentioned it, but it's going to have to wait I suspect - however, I am placing it on the short list!

Traditional Irish Jack O'Lantern from a turnip
Modern Jack O'Lantern from a Ghost Pumpkin

The tradition of Halloween has a complicated history, but most of its roots come from the traditions of Ireland and Scotland, but was refined in North America. In the United States of America, it was the Irish who were the first to promulgate the traditions, especially adopting the practice of carving the Jack O'Lantern from a turnip, instead using the larger and easier to carve ghost pumpkin. In the Dominion of Southern America, it was the Scots who promoted the holiday, especially the practice of children Guising and going to houses for Souling - begging for treats. An interesting social wrinkle in the DSA of the 19th and 20th century was that the costumes children wore obscured their color and it was considered a time in the South when it was even easier to overcome the barriers between peoples, if at least for a night.

In New Orleans there was a large Hispaniolan community who mixed the traditional Halloween customs with those of the Voodoo tradition of Baron Samdee, and he would become like a Father Christmas for Halloween, with the Halloween traditions spreading back to the Province of Hispaniola and Baron Samdee spreading first throughout the Dominion, and from there to other parts of the British Empire, the United States, and France (both through her close affiliation with Britain and the strong ties to the northern parts of the United States). Many schools would have Halloween Guise Parades on the day, and let children off All Hallows Day (November 1) to recover from their night of revelry (and sugar stupor). By the 1930s, children all over the world were celebrating the coming of Baron Samdee and Halloween, a holiday rivaling Christmas.

Nice one, Glen! Say, have you done anything on Welsh culture just yet? I'm honestly quite curious as to how the Welsh American community on both sides of the border might have developed ITTL. :cool: