'Ai Orsa' – The Hunt, A Saka Novel

Mogha V
Saka Camp, Night, Spring 144 BC

Mogha sat on his seat, glass of badeh [1] in his hand, chuckling deriously, while the rest of the men in the grand tent sat in silence their heads hung in shame, despair and shock. The messenger too could not bear himself to look at his Chief. He averted his gaze to the back of the tent, so he would not bear the brunt of Mogha's rage.

Mogha himself kept giggling like a madman, holding his face and dropped his glass badeh to the floor. The liquid spilt all over the beautiful carpet, staining it. He finally took his hand of his face and looked at the messenger, still laughing. He then suddenly stopped laughing and his face twisted into a stern expression. He stood up bent down and picked up his fallen cup, but the well decorated vessel made of bone simply cracked in his grasp.

"My friend repeat what you said please? I want to make sure all of the men seated here could hear your message. Come on brother, say it again."
The messenger stumbled forcing the words out, his brow sweating as heavily as a storm that might flood and destroy the crops.

"Oh, Murundai, the Lord of the Parni, Meherdat [2] has honoured a call to arms from Heliocles of the Yavanas. He has dispatched his general Sohrab with all the troops he wasn't using to help the Yavana king. They are currently at Ashkabad and march for Bahldika and may be here within two weeks."

Mogha feigned happiness and ecstaticness and tuned around to his generals and chiefs. He looked at each of them expectantly hoping to see shame on the face of every single one of the men in front of him. He got his results. Each of the famed horsemen were hanging their heads.

"You heard that men? This man here has delivered me news all of you should have told me about. Add to this, it is because of your stupidity that we have ended in this situation, my anger knows no ends. What the hell were you thinking when you accosted that messenger party? Have you know sense what an insult this is to any proud lord? In my view this is all your doing and I should have every single one of you tied to a horse and ragged on the ground while it runs for three stades."

But by now Mogha was thinking rationally again and his anger had calmed down, replaced by despair at his situation. He scratched his beard and thought of what his next move would be now he was practically a small rabbit chased by two of the greatest wolves, with the ever looming threat of the tiger not far away. He then realised what he must do. He should do what any rabbit would do to evade capture. He must run into his hole, away from prying eyes. He stood there thinking for about fifteen minutes, oblivious to the rest of the world. He finally spoke, coming to a hard conclusion by the look of his eyes.

"My foolish friends, you must realise that while our chance of a safe passage and settlement was already doomed thanks to the Yavana's stupidity, now you must know that we can fight no war against Yavana if the Parni [3] are at their sides. For these are the same Parni that are reducing the mighty empire of Sulaka [4] to dust in the west. So I have come to final conclusion. We shall split the tribe in two, the larger half going south towards the hills of Paradaka [5]. The other half shall ride back north with me so we may find refuge in the Pamir Talooki [6]. I do this with a heavy heart, but the tribe must be split for its own good, for as fate sees it, Tujuka has commanded it." finished Mogha, exiting the tent for his own, leaving gloomy atmosphere in the chieftains' tent. The future was looking gloomy for the tribe and the line of Kardaka [7]..................

james-burke-small-village-in-the-hindu-kush-mountains-in-the-lower-reaches-of-the-salang-river-valley.jpg

Pamir Village

[1] Persian wine, very symbolic and central to Persian tradition. It'd been fermented through out the Zagros Ranges and Iranian plateau for a long time.

[2] Mithradates I. He was considered greatest Parthian shah and one of the greatest Iranian rulers ever. He reduced the Seleucid empire to nothing but a rump state in Syria and defeated the Greco-Bactrians a few time. He was considered a great Grecophile despite destroying some of the greatest Hellenistic nations in the east.

[3] Native word for Parthians.

[4] Saka pronunciation of Seleucus.

[5] Balochistan. I couldn't find a suitable name for Balochistan except for this. Paradaka was actually a Indo-Scythian dynasty (probably a tribe actually) that ruled in the 3rd Century CE. They were actually mentioned as Mlecchas in the Vedic texts and were apparently conquered by Alexander

[6] Pamir Mountains. Kyrgyztan's flag actually is a referance to their Scythian heritage. The forty lines on the sun representing the forty mountain clans united by a legendary king.

[7] Mogha's ancestor and the name of his dynasty

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, short update! Sorry I haven't updated for a while but RL has held me back for a while.

Anyways this is a MAJOR POD. In OTL Mithradates never answered this call to arms and the entire Greco-Bactrian kingdom was engulfed, but the Saka kept fleeing since the Yeuzhi were still on their tail. They fled to modern day Sistan province (which by the way come from Sagastan, a Middle Persian derivation of Sakastan) in Iran. From there they migrated into Hindustan in 1st century CE.

What's happening here is we are having an earlier migration combined with two migration routes, nearly one century earlier. This allows more time for cross-cultural exchange.

Ok guys, short update! Sorry I haven't updated for a while but RL has held me back for a while.

Anyways this is a MAJOR POD. In OTL Mithradates never answered this call to arms and the entire Greco-Bactrian kingdom was engulfed, but the Saka kept fleeing since the Yeuzhi were still on their tail. They fled to modern day Sistan province (which by the way come from Sagastan, a Middle Persian derivation of Sakastan) in Iran. From there they migrated into Hindustan in 1st century CE.

What's happening here is we are having an earlier migration combined with two migration routes, nearly one century earlier. This allows more time for cross-cultural exchange.

Wait, there's three migration routes? Or did I not read correctly?

Wait, there's three migration routes? Or did I not read correctly?

There are only 2 migration routes, unless of course the Sakai of Sistan further divide into larger groups...........

I may have worded it wrong though, so not to worry.

Last edited:
Mogha VI
Ai Amoā

The horse staggered and nearly fell over the cliff. A few rocks fell down the mountain, the deep ravine looming ominously below them. The winds blew and more snow blew into their faces, the chill of the Pamir Ranges settling in.

For the first time in its history, the caravan road being trekked upon currently was facing the biggest caravan it had ever seen. At least a kilometre long, the Sakai caravan moved along slowly and steadily, across the mountains of the Pamir. At some points the road got so narrow only a single cart could fit on it at a time and the migrating caravan would have to stop and arrange itself so no man would fall to an icy death down the mountains.

At the front of the rolling line of people and baggage rode Mogha, fully decked in armour in case the mountains tribes were to ambush them again. He remembered how the last encounter had ended up against them. The well bred Caspian horses of the Saka were a liability this high in the mountains and the recurve bows comparatively useless against the javelins of the Pamiri tribes. He had lost twenty good warriors against their foes in the last skirmish for only one dead hillman.

If he didn't make peace with the mountain tribes soon enough he might not have any men left to fight and defend their fated homeland.

"Wherever in the world that may be." wondered Mogha as he looked in to the foggy distance of the cliffs.

He rubbed his horse, Akuhsätā, on the neck affectionately, wondering what the future would herald for the tribe and if they would ever see an open grassy plain ever again. He kept trotting the horse forward anxious to get out onto the wider paths of this route. Then the cold slowly started creeping in. A warrior to his right started warning everyone a blizzard was coming. They had to get prepared for the chill that was to come. Mogha turned around and reached to the back of his horse and took off the deer pelt placed out on its hind legs. All the while the horse continued to keep trotting forward, for such was the connection between a Sakai nomad and his horse.

Hours passed and the caravan continued to slowly move through the mountains of the Pamir, the winds of winter slowly settling in and claiming many a life. The route started to move slowly down the mountains, into the valleys. The caravan continued down into the lower lands and Mogha turned his horse around to have a look at the victims of the blizzard. Just as he had started trotting his horse the other way a scream was heard. An aijhysäta [1] lay dead on his horse and a javelin through his heart. A whistling sound and another one of his guards lay dead and his horse panicking.

Mogha looked around furiously for the perpetrators and could see the silhouettes of men up above them on cliffs. The veteran warriors were already up in arms and firing their arrows towards the assailants. After a few volleys from the Saka horsemen the mountain attackers started to waver and flee. Mogha realised this might have been his only chance to negotiate with the mountain men, took with him a group numbering ten and rode off in pursuit of the routing men.

Riding hard and fast, howling war cries, the horsemen thundered down the road, jumping over ravines in a most graceful fashion, almost as if they were flying. Within a few minutes Mogha and the aijhysätai were within arrows range of the routing hillsmen. With a single graceful shot in mid gallop a aijhysäta shot one of the cowards in the leg, pinning him to the ground but not dealing any large amounts of damage.

As the man on the ground howled in pain the aijhysätai circled him like hungry vultures and Mogha dismounted from Akuhsata to question the man writhing in pain on the ground in front of him. Mogha casually walked up to the man and lifted him by his shirt onto his feet, before punching him in the nose and sending him to the ground. He then crouched next to the moaning man who was clutching his nose and his inner thigh. He kneeled and looked at him disdainfully before speaking.

"May there be pain for you, you bastard. I lost many a good man today because of your hostility, men who could take a falcon up in the sky above down with a single arrow. No here's what you are going to do unless you want to end up as a pincushion of arrows. You will take me to your chief so I may talk to the bastard." spat Mogha, still viciously clutching the man by his throat.

The man just simply blinked in fear, whimpering and grovelling, clasping his hands for mercy. Mogha rolled his eyes while cursing, letting go of the man's neck and stood up to face his companions. All of the calmed their horses down and remained perfectly immobile in the presence of their Murunda [2].

"Brothers, this despicable man of the mountain attacked us when we were weak. But we shall not kill him when he is brought staggeringly to the ground. He has been humbled and I have no more ill will against his tribe. We may be warriors but we have to tend to our sheep. I want to bring peace between our tribes, but for that I will need someone who knows to speak their tongue. Does any of the finest riders amongst us speak it?"

An aijhysäta raised his hand before speaking what he knew. With a gleam upon his face the rider dismounted from his horse and walked knelt before Mogha.

"O ajynäo [3], I know of one such man. He joined the tribe a month ago and he lives with my family. He is of these mountains and may be of help while talking with other mountain men. I shall take you to him." said the aijhysäta still looking down and kneeling.

"Very well brother, rise and take me there. Also bind this man and carry him on your horse to the caravan. After a week of constant movement I think now would be the perfect time to stop for a night of rest."

Both men mounted their horses once the wretched and wounded hill man had been tied up and left with the other eight riders. As they crossed the peaks and made their way back to the Saka camp, the only thing Mogha could think of was the importance of the safe crossing through the Pamir Talooki, for if there were any more foes for the Saka tribe to face, they would need all the warriors they had.

---------------------​

[1] aijhysäta - Literally means 'silver born'. It was a title of great importance and was given to the greatest archers in the tribe. They formed a sort of chieftan's guard and unlike other titles you needn't have been of high birth to become a aijhysäta.

[2] Murunda - Don't know if I mentioned this before but it means lord.

[3] ajynäo - It means 'imperishable'. A title of respect, it was usually given to the venerable elders of a tribe, yet it could be applied to anybody held in deep respect by you.

--------------------------------​

Alright guys, sorry the update has come a bit late, I've had quite the adventure looking for some dictionaries for this novel. I couldn't find one for quite a while and was contemplating if I had to abandon this book. But then salvation came in the form of 'Dictionary of Khotan Saka by H.W Bailey'. It has the Saka vocabulary but since it is from the Khotanese period it is Pali influenced. Luckily thanks to what I do know about Iranian linguistics I could 'Iranianicise' the words.

Just as I was celebrating and researching where to find this book, I found it, but there is only one copy in the whole of Canberra, in the Australian National University's Menzies library. And it was not to be borrowed since it was an antique large book. You could however go and read it there. But then I fell sick. So I had to stall writing the update for a few days. Anyways I have finally found an online copy on this page. (Completely Legal)

Short update for you to enjoy.

Alright guys, sorry the update has come a bit late, I've had quite the adventure looking for some dictionaries for this novel. I couldn't find one for quite a while and was contemplating if I had to abandon this book. But then salvation came in the form of 'Dictionary of Khotan Saka by H.W Bailey'. It has the Saka vocabulary but since it is from the Khotanese period it is Pali influenced. Luckily thanks to what I do know about Iranian linguistics I could 'Iranianicise' the words.

Just as I was celebrating and researching where to find this book, I found it, but there is only one copy in the whole of Canberra, in the Australian National University's Menzies library. And it was not to be borrowed since it was an antique large book. You could however go and read it there. But then I fell sick. So I had to stall writing the update for a few days. Anyways I have finally found an online copy on this page. (Completely Legal)

Short update for you to enjoy.

Is that where you get your terms from? :D

Really notice and appreciate

Nice update, really notice and appreciate your research work ... without this TL would not be the great and original story that it is.

Mogha VII
Kardaka Village, Winter 143 BC

As Mogha rode through the gate of the Kardaka tribe's walled village, protected by a fine wooden palisade, he could not help but feel the eyes of the villagers on him. As the strange men on horses trotted into the village, most men stood in awe at the brightly coloured armour of the men and horses and were frightened if the goat's horns that had been placed upon the horses' heads as part of their ceremonial dress.

The village itself was nothing of power but as Mogha looked at the men working and going around their daily business, he could see why the Kardakas struck fear into the hearts of rival tribes. The men wore rough clothes of goatskin and coats made of bear skin, while the women wore their hair matted, twigs and leaves strewn out. The attire and looks weren't the only things dangerous about the Kardaka though, as in the distance he even saw a young child being told how to swing an axe and throw javelins.
He glanced then over to his leading companion, the one who was leading this small pack of Saka riders into diplomacy with the Kardaka chief. He believed

Pallana was a good man if a bit quiet and reclusive. They had been introduced three nights before, when the Kardaka assailants which attacked the caravan had been repelled. One of the aijhysäta had shown him into the tent of Pallana where Pallana was simply sitting cross legged, his eyes closed and a necklace of beads in one hand. That's when he had realised that Pallana was different from the other members of the tribe. He wouldn't come for the consuming of the Soma, wouldn't join in the chants and he wore only clothes woven from nettles. Yet he was no old ascetic, as Pallana might have been a few springs younger than Mogha himself.

The group of Saka horsemen had by now reached the centre of the village at the heart of it was a towering Himalayan cedar; dwarfing all trees in the area by its height and age. Underneath the trees sat a few old men in simple robes and a young man with his hair worn in locks, decked in full chain armour and skin as pale as the snow on the mountains. The men had a fire pit in front of them, putting all manner of offerings into it.
As the vanguard reached the meeting point, Mogha leant over to Pallana and whispered into his ears in fear of being understood.

"These Kardakas, they are capable of understanding you right? And how so, how do you know the language of these people?" he glanced behind his shoulder to see if any tribesmen had run off alerting the rest to attack or something equally disastrous before turning back to his friend "I mean they will agree, if you are not wrong about what they want from us."
Pallana kept trotting forward, not even glancing at his lord's questions and leaving Mogha to look at him expectantly for a few moments before responding.

"You needn't whisper syūdhajynäo [1], none can comprehend our tongue in this village. As to answer your questions, my father was from these hills and believed in the power of the fire and the mountain. When my mother took him as hers [2], she also chose to convert as she found the faith soothing and that was how I was raised." Pallana rubbed the back of his horse's neck, as it was getting tired at the long ride from the Saka camp. "As for your second query, all I shall say is take my word for it. These people have faith in honour so you must to."

When the Saka men finally reached the great tree in the centre of the village they dismounted their horses and gave them food and watered them before finally settling down to talk with the Kardaka chief. The old men clipped a few leaves of the great cedar and threw it into the fire. The talks had begun.
Sitting cross legged on the other side of the holy fire from the Saka the young chief of the Kardaka, a man who couldn't have been older than five springs younger than Mogha, started spitting out what sounded like harsh words in the tongue of the tribe. Pallana leant in and whispered in his lord's ears. " He is furious. He says you trespassed with our tribe on the route that is a pilgrimage way for them and can only be used by foreigners with permission from the tribe. He says we have defiled sacred rites. Listen to rage and respond quickly and kindly if you do not want to be at war against the tribesmen."

Mogha nodded in agreement and let the mountain man vent out his rage. The man made many a angry gesture and shouted at the Saka horseman. They stood there just listening to him and Pallana translating the occasional word for Mogha. When the Kardaka chief finally finished Mogha put up his hand and put a fist to his chest.

"Lord of the mountains, I understand your anger and wish that you bear no ill will towards my tribe. Kardaka men are brave and able warriors, even though you may not be able to ride a horse. Would I kill a man if they had not attacked us? I am sorry we have dishonoured your gods by using the sacred route, but we flee a great menace." he finished, putting emphasis on the injustice done to the Saka. Pallana translated Mogha's words for the angry Kardaka chief, the man's expression melting from one of anger into one of curiosity and a little sympathy. He muttered a few words that sounded like a question.

Pallana turned to Mogha with the forms of a smile. "He says he wants to listen to your story and what this great menace is that you speak of."

"Very well, I shall repeat my story as I did to the Greek king. The menace comes from the far north where the laws of the steppe are not followed and the word of the gods waver. They come bearing great blue banners and ride on horses which are larger than even a finest of our steeds. Their arrows are poisoned, so that the land on which they fall will not be able to feed our herds for years." exaggerated the Saka chief. "We simply ask for passage and refuge from these demons."

Pallana repeated the words of Mogha into the Pamiri of the Kardaka chief. The mountain chief signalled Pallana to stop so he could discuss the matter with the elders of the tribe about how to deal with the Saka immigrants.

The Kardaka chief got into a heated discussion with his council of elders as Mogha, Pallana and his aijhysäta simply waited for a resolution. The old men quarrelled amongst each other and the one that sat next to the fire-pit put an offering into it every time a man finished his say. The young chief sat there intently waiting and heeding the advice of his venerable advisors. After two hours of waiting so he suddenly raised his hand to show he had heard enough. He stood up, off the boulders near the tree, and walked towards the fire pit. He looked at Pallana and said something solemnly, before putting his hand over the fire.

Pallana nudged Mogha to stand up and face his contemporary. "He says he would like to introduce himself once again. This time as one great warrior and lord to another." Pallana then straightened his tone of voice to emulate the Kardaka chief. " He says his name is Dahir, son of Jambdu. He is a brave man of the mountains and an able warrior. He is the lord of the Kardaka tribe of Mount Achiktash. He asks would a brave warrior like you be able to be a friend of the Kardaka."

Mogha smiled and proudly clasped the hand of Dahir, nodding. "It would be an honour to be able to live alongside a man such as you." At this Pallana said yes to Dahir in Pamiri. At this Dahir called out behind him and a beautiful young woman stepped out from behind the ancient Himalayan cypress.

"Oh and my lord, he also gives his sister's hand in marriage, as well as a small place in the valley where we may settle the tribe as a home." remembered Pallana.

Mogha looked at him a bit expectantly, waiting for him to remember something. When Pallana was unable to remember Mogha decided to say it himself. "Is she happy with this marriage? It would defile our traditions if this beautiful lady didn't accept this marraige." after which he whispered "But it would break my pride further."

Pallana realised and asked the lady the question at which she smiled and nodded, meaning the couple would now be laden with gifts from the Kardaka village. After spending a few hours in a simple Kardaka wedding ceremony Mogha mounted his bride on the finely decked Akuhsätā and started to leave the village with the rest of the Saka troupe.

As Mogha exited the village he thought about what events had just transpired. He could not help but wonder something didn't feel right. Beautiful as it was, where was the deer next to the perfect man the prophecy spoke of? Where was the flat land which he could ride his horse in any direction freely, with the trees that had many trunks coming out of the earth? "The hunt is not over." he pondered.

But this would suffice for now. He had completed his duty of finding his people a homeland and there was much to do so he could settle his people here in the cool valleys. As they passed the palisade he looked at Pallana and made a simple statement.

"Do you think you could teach her our tongue? I would prefer if I wouldn't need to have a translator around for every single conversation I have with Uharde [3]."

END ACT I

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] syūdhajynäo - Immortal orphan. Mogha has a interesting back story that shall be explained later.

[2] A strange example of the famed Scythian gender equality. Scythian (especially the Massagetae ones) women were known to kidnap men from rival tribes and southern targets according to Herodotus (admittedly a biased source).

[3] I need to have some creative licence! Uharde is a fictional character who may or may not have been married to Mogha. I am saying she is, as sources are sketchy when you are investigating something 2100+ years ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm back. I have recently been shifting houses so I haven't had much time to devote but I have finally finished the first act of this TL. I would like to give a big thank you to the 17 of you who voted for me in the New Ancient category in the Turtledoves, I am honoured.

I would like to especially thank Xenephonte for nominating this TL and praising it to the extent he has. Thank you so much.

What will happen now is, the story will pick up where we left after twelve years, in 131 BC. You guys will get a map sometime tomorrow and that'll be all the clues you're getting. :cool: