Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Darn, I was rooting for Richmond :p

Seriously, how is the BosWash (QueRich?) ITTL - it has the potential to be utterly massive, even compared to OTL.

Great to see this updating again Glen!

1. New York City, NY/Washington DC - By 1930 the borders between the nation's busiest port and the nation's capital just up the Hudson were beginning to blur making this region not just the most populous in the USA but one of the largest in the world (though still no match for Imperial London).

Its not really surprising that these two cities might everntually merge together at some point, at least the outskirts anyway.

The history of the boot known as Southrons outside the Dominion, Wellesleys historically, or most commonly in the DSA, Riders, is one that can theoretically be traced back to the boots of Genghis Khan but more directly to the Hessian boot.

(snip)

The Hessian boot was the inspiration for General Arthur Wellesley's own boot design during his service against Napoleon, simplifying and improving on the Hessian design.

DukeWellingtonJamesLonsdale.jpg

The Wellesley boot became the favorite of the British Army and was in wide use by officers of the British army and Southern Loyalists during the Slaver Rebellion. After the war, many Loyalists continued to wear the versatile ririding boot as yet another symbol of their loyalty to the mother country, and slowly even former Rebels grudgingly came to recognize the value of the boot style, though many chose to adopt a more Cubano heel. By the 20th Century, the boots had become synonymous with the people of the Dominion of Southern America.

cowboy-boots.png

I rather enjoyed this post, but more so because it reminds me that I had the post summerised to me in a London pub by Glen. This is probably the first and last time I'll ever be treated to a brief history of boots in a pub.

Glen

2307-thumb-lg-500x625.jpg

The Dominion of Southern America, though not as populous as it's northern neighbor the USA, did enjoy healthy population growth in the first third of the 20th century as well. The top five metropolitan areas of the DSA in 1930 were:
1. New Orleans, LO/Baton Rouge CD - Likened to the merging NYC/Washington complex to the north, the Dominion's busiest port and capItalian together formed by far the largest population center in the British South.
2. San Diego, AL - San Diego was the crown jewel of the province of Albion, both as the primary Pacific port of the Dominion, the main western terminus for Southron transcontinental rail lines, as well as a major center for Kinee production.
3. Jackson, TE - The major port of the province of Texas was also the major port for oil exports from the Dominion.
4. Havana, CU - Havana was the jewel of the Caribbean Dominion, and by 1930 the premiere vacation destination within the Dominion.
5. New Dover, TE - This Texas city was the youngest of the top five Dominion top 5 cities of 1930, and owed it's incredible growth to it's strategic position at the nexus of the transcontinental rail lines of the Dominion as well as the main route for herding cattle up to the USA.

¡Que dulce, Señor! That's two pals of mine who'd love to hear their hometowns are so high up there in the Dominion (namely *H-Town/TTL Jackson, and Ol' Red Stick), which makes sense as the Top 5 here are mostly port cities as per the apparent British convention (conducive to commerce and trade, y'see). I actually asked a Texan friend with a passion for history what a British Texas would look like...believe it or not, their estimation was quite close to yours!

It's also not so surprising there's a smaller population here, what with A) less industrialization promoting large urban centers the way the USA has been doing in the Northeast, Midwest and Pacific (if to lesser degrees in the Plains and Border States), and B) likely less immigration since America still has that "land of the free, home of the brave" reputation going for them. I would've commented on the Top 5 USA cities, but most seemed a foregone conclusion (no offense, as they're rightfully so at those spots). However, where would Ft. Finney be, OTL Topeka? Also, is San Fran a military town here or more just a commercial town?

Last edited:

Glen

¡Que dulce, Señor! That's two pals of mine who'd love to hear their hometowns are so high up there in the Dominion (namely *H-Town/TTL Jackson, and Ol' Red Stick), which makes sense as the Top 5 here are mostly port cities as per the apparent British convention (conducive to commerce and trade, y'see). I actually asked a Texan friend with a passion for history what a British Texas would look like...believe it or not, their estimation was quite close to yours!

It's also not so surprising there's a smaller population here, what with A) less industrialization promoting large urban centers the way the USA has been doing in the Northeast, Midwest and Pacific (if to lesser degrees in the Plains and Border States), and B) likely less immigration since America still has that "land of the free, home of the brave" reputation going for them. I would've commented on the Top 5 USA cities, but most seemed a foregone conclusion (no offense, as they're rightfully so at those spots). However, where would Ft. Finney be, OTL Topeka? Also, is San Fran a military town here or more just a commercial town?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Fort_Finney

Yep! Good old Wabash has seniority on Washington though I may need to investigate abbreviations more.

Just my $0.02: You could use "WA" for Wabash, or if an alternative is needed then maybe "WB"? Washington could use "WS" if the first selection is used. Also, I noticed that the biggest Southron city was N'awlins/Baton Rouge, CD, what does that mean? I assume "Capital District" as a wild-a(*ed guess, but other than that I'm not sure.

Glen

In 1927, the scion of Mysore, under the name of his esteemed (and somewhat infamous) ancestor, Tipu Sultan, led the Indian Malthusian Coalition to victory in the Indian Parliamentary elections. Sultan's coalition government immediately started to implement Malthusian principles to control the burgeoning population of the subcontinent. Sultan's aggressive approach met acclaim in some quarters of the British Empire, but more often met with concern. By 1932, however, the British crown found itself more and more in conflict with the radical efforts of the Sultan government, leading to the Subcontinental Crisis and the unilateral declaration of the United Nationalities of India.

United Nationalities of India.png

IT LIVES!!! Also, awesome flag design. I feel like I should buy a van, just so I could have it painted on the side :cool:. That aside, rumblings in India seem to be a-brewin'.

Glen

IT LIVES!!! Also, awesome flag design. I feel like I should buy a van, just so I could have it painted on the side :cool:. That aside, rumblings in India seem to be a-brewin'.

Thanks, FleetMac! It does indeed live. I hope to carve a little time out every day to work on it and to finally bring it back up to the modern era.

I am gonna need the enthusiasm, support, and collective memory of all my Shark Eater Southrons (or fans thereof) to help me bring the Old Dominion back to her glory days!

Glen

Good to see this continuing. Hopefully there will be updates more fequentely.

That is truly my goal. When I started this thread lo those many years ago, I tried to do about an update a day...let's see if we can get back to that!