Soccer WI: Italy goals golden in 1998

Golden Goal and Silver Goal have been accused to be very unjust and were therefore abolished. One of the moments this would have been influential to the remainder of the tournament would have been a POD in the quarterfinal Italy vs. France at the 1998 World Cup.

At the end of the 102nd minute (first half of the extra time) French goalkeeper Barthez hardly had any chance to keep an Italian shot that barely missed the goal behind the right "pole" as seen from the goal keeper.

(What are German "Pfosten" and "Latte" in English? I had the idea watching the extra time of Netherlands vs. Russia...)

If the shot had fit, France would have dropped from the tournament. As it didn't, the goalless game was decided in penalties. France was then to win the World Cup...

So what if had been Italy to compete against Croatia? Or even Germany if the results of the last quartelfinal would have been butterflied?

Golden Goal and Silver Goal have been accused to be very unjust and were therefore abolished. One of the moments this would have been influential to the remainder of the tournament would have been a POD in the quarterfinal Italy vs. France at the 1998 World Cup.

At the end of the 102nd minute (first half of the extra time) French goalkeeper Barthez hardly had any chance to keep an Italian shot that barely missed the goal behind the right "pole" as seen from the goal keeper.

(What are German "Pfosten" and "Latte" in English? I had the idea watching the extra time of Netherlands vs. Russia...)

If the shot had fit, France would have dropped from the tournament. As it didn't, the goalless game was decided in penalties. France was then to win the World Cup...

So what if had been Italy to compete against Croatia? Or even Germany if the results of the last quartelfinal would have been butterflied?

Croatia beats Italy, I think: they played tremendously throughout the Cup, IIRC. The Brazil beats Croatia in the final, assuming Brazil doesn't get knocked out by butterflies.

Which e. g. could be the Netherlands winning the penalties instead of Brazil in the semifinal...

Archibald

Banned
Croatia smashItalia unless Suker die. I think Brazil can' be butterflied by Netherlands.

Suker ruled!

So it would probably be Croatia-Brazil... 1-0 for Croatia thanks to Suker (again!)

Tremendous effect if Croatia won.

Btw it could be nice building an alt-history based on a certain World Cup 1982 semi-final :) in Sevilla...