Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Administration > Help and Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Gonzaga Gonzaga is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via MSN to Gonzaga
30 Years War map

Does anyone have an editable map of the HRE in 1618, prior to the 30 Years War?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Because we all love mad kings: Madness and Greatness: a history of Portugal (1578 - 1640)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Susano Susano is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Königstein im Taunus
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via ICQ to Susano Send a message via AIM to Susano Send a message via MSN to Susano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaga View Post
Does anyone have an editable map of the HRE in 1618, prior to the 30 Years War?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.maproom.org/00/08/present.php?m=0042

If you look for editable maps, your best bet is still the slightly inaccurate 1648 map on Wiki:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mpire_1648.svg
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Thande Thande is offline
Professor Archibald Addlewood
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: An AndyC Timeline (formerly OTL)
Posts: 1000 or more
I can try making a Centennia one if you want, but they're not 100% accurate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Gonzaga Gonzaga is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via MSN to Gonzaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susano View Post
http://www.maproom.org/00/08/present.php?m=0042

If you look for editable maps, your best bet is still the slightly inaccurate 1648 map on Wiki:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mpire_1648.svg
Thanks! I'm having some troubles to download the second one, but I'll try again later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thande View Post
I can try making a Centennia one if you want, but they're not 100% accurate.
That's nice! I'll send you a PM with more details.
__________________
Because we all love mad kings: Madness and Greatness: a history of Portugal (1578 - 1640)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Susano Susano is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Königstein im Taunus
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via ICQ to Susano Send a message via AIM to Susano Send a message via MSN to Susano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaga View Post
Thanks! I'm having some troubles to download the second one, but I'll try again later.
Ah yes. Goddamn svgs.
Heres in png, but smaller:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_1648.svg.png
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Gonzaga Gonzaga is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via MSN to Gonzaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susano View Post
Ah yes. Goddamn svgs.
Heres in png, but smaller:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_1648.svg.png
Much better now! Thanks very much!

BTW, the more I look at this map, the more I think that Napoleon was only a misunderstood hero of the cartographers...
__________________
Because we all love mad kings: Madness and Greatness: a history of Portugal (1578 - 1640)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Susano Susano is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Königstein im Taunus
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via ICQ to Susano Send a message via AIM to Susano Send a message via MSN to Susano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaga View Post
Much better now! Thanks very much!

BTW, the more I look at this map, the more I think that Napoleon was only a misunderstood hero of the cartographers...
Why? He took the cool out of the maps
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Othniel Othniel is offline
Comrade General-Secretary
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Valley of the Salt Lake
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susano View Post
Why? He took the cool out of the maps
I think he just stopped people from labelling that area 'small states'.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Thande Thande is offline
Professor Archibald Addlewood
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: An AndyC Timeline (formerly OTL)
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
I think he just stopped people from labelling that area 'small states'.
Napoleon was very sensitive about the size of his...er...states.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Susano Susano is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Königstein im Taunus
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via ICQ to Susano Send a message via AIM to Susano Send a message via MSN to Susano
Praise to the map god! The guy who also made the rhine cofnederation/German cofnederation map serie on Wiki now also had made a 1648 map of the HREGN in the same style! Finally a well editable map of the HREGN!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...3/HRR_1648.png

Its not perfect of course, but as perfect as Ive seen any editable map come close to. Lorraine looks wacky (whats that church territory in it snorthest?), the border between Hannover and Brunswick is not orderly drawn, and the Saxon Duchies are lumped together, but goddamn, still its a wish come true!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Analytical Engine Analytical Engine is offline
Wants devolution for all
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wales, the *UNITED* Kingdom, Europe, worldwide British Empire
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susano View Post
Its not perfect of course, but as perfect as Ive seen any editable map come close to. Lorraine looks wacky (whats that church territory in it snorthest?), the border between Hannover and Brunswick is not orderly drawn, and the Saxon Duchies are lumped together, but goddamn, still its a wish come true!
Of course, the mappists of AH.com can easily correct that...
__________________
Reds vs. Blues - 20/09/14
Star Trek (2009) reimagined - completed
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Gonzaga Gonzaga is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via MSN to Gonzaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susano View Post
Praise to the map god! The guy who also made the rhine cofnederation/German cofnederation map serie on Wiki now also had made a 1648 map of the HREGN in the same style! Finally a well editable map of the HREGN!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...3/HRR_1648.png

Its not perfect of course, but as perfect as Ive seen any editable map come close to. Lorraine looks wacky (whats that church territory in it snorthest?), the border between Hannover and Brunswick is not orderly drawn, and the Saxon Duchies are lumped together, but goddamn, still its a wish come true!
That's really great! Thanks Susano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susano View Post
Its not perfect of course
I think no map of the HRE can really be perfect, with all those division in tiny states... My mental image of the territorial mess in the HRE is a noble taking his son to the top of a tower, showing the territories around, but instead of saying "One day son all of this will be yours" he says something like "One day son half of that hill at your right will be yours, because the other half belongs to the Wettins. Oh, and that creek in the valley, from that big round rock until the forest will be yours too. However, the forest belongs to a branch of the Wittelsbachs, and the rock itself belongs to Hesse."
__________________
Because we all love mad kings: Madness and Greatness: a history of Portugal (1578 - 1640)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Susano Susano is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Königstein im Taunus
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via ICQ to Susano Send a message via AIM to Susano Send a message via MSN to Susano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaga View Post
That's really great! Thanks Susano!
Thank wiki user Kgberger
(A fellow Hessian, apparently. Hm, nice)

Quote:
I think no map of the HRE can really be perfect, with all those division in tiny states...
Hence the Landgraviate of P

Quote:
My mental image of the territorial mess in the HRE is a noble taking his son to the top of a tower, showing the territories around, but instead of saying "One day son all of this will be yours" he says something like "One day son half of that hill at your right will be yours, because the other half belongs to the Wettins. Oh, and that creek in the valley, from that big round rock until the forest will be yours too. However, the forest belongs to a branch of the Wittelsbachs, and the rock itself belongs to Hesse."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Thande Thande is offline
Professor Archibald Addlewood
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: An AndyC Timeline (formerly OTL)
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaga View Post
I think no map of the HRE can really be perfect, with all those division in tiny states... My mental image of the territorial mess in the HRE is a noble taking his son to the top of a tower, showing the territories around, but instead of saying "One day son all of this will be yours" he says something like "One day son half of that hill at your right will be yours, because the other half belongs to the Wettins. Oh, and that creek in the valley, from that big round rock until the forest will be yours too. However, the forest belongs to a branch of the Wittelsbachs, and the rock itself belongs to Hesse."
That's very good
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.