Baltic language wank

How could it happen that the Baltic languages spread and become major world languages? Could a strong Lithuanian empire do it?

That's something that's probably going to happen in my second AAR... if the Grand Duchy of Lithuania had become a kingdom independent from Poland, the aristocracy probably wouldn't have become as Polonized as they did in OTL. Maybe if more Lithuanians settle in the major cities of the Grand Duchy / Kingdom, the language would spread further in the various territories.

Superdude

Banned
The Lithuanian peasantry was pretty localized though - most of the Grand Duchy was populated by Ruthenians. It would require some major cultural shifts and demographic changes, not just the continued survival and independence of the Lithuanian state.

That's something that's probably going to happen in my second AAR... if the Grand Duchy of Lithuania had become a kingdom independent from Poland, the aristocracy probably wouldn't have become as Polonized as they did in OTL. Maybe if more Lithuanians settle in the major cities of the Grand Duchy / Kingdom, the language would spread further in the various territories.

In if it wasn't Polonized, it would have become Russified (from Rus/Rusyn, not Russia).

Superdude

Banned
In if it wasn't Polonized, it would have become Russified (from Rus/Rusyn, not Russia).

That is true as well. The Lithuanian Grand Duke, whose name escapes me for the moment, was tempted by union with Muscovy until it was raised by the Golden Horde.

edit: Wait....it would have been Russified by Russians.

That would be Ruthenized, as I think the Rusyns then called themselves Ruthenians.

Is there any way the Lithuanians could establish a large empire without being assimilated?

Superdude

Banned
Basically, we need to increase the size of the Lithuanian population a great deal by the time of the Slavic Migrations.

There is some indication that the ethnic territories of the Baltic peoples had once stretched from the Oder to where Moscow currently is, and from around the modern-day border of Latvia and Estonia to somewhere close to Kiev. Later these peoples were mostly assimilated by other neighbouring cultures, because those other cultures created countries, while the Balts never did.

Perhaps if the Balts created their own country much earlier than in OTL, it could have become dominated by a Baltic culture. Then such a base would be enough to assimilate some other language groups (parts of Slavic and/or Germanic) and create a huge language spread over the world. A possible way for an early (first centuries AD) Baltic state to form would be if some high-ranking refugees from Rome came to the area via Amber Road (the trade route between Baltics and Rome) and established a country there, or if the local peoples decided to install some of the Roman cultural achievements in their own soil. A PoD at around 100AD can do this, IMO.

(By the way, I recently read that a dominant theory of the name of Lithuania in the Middle Ages was that it was gyven by the Romans, who came to that area from Italy (Italia) and started teaching the locals; the locals adopted the name, but added an "L" in front (Litalia), which later mutated into Lituania. The above might make this theory become true :D)

That would be Ruthenized, as I think the Rusyns then called themselves Ruthenians.

Is there any way the Lithuanians could establish a large empire without being assimilated?
If you avoid Kazimir from becoming Grand Duke of Lithuania and King of Poland in the same time than you could also avoid polonization and there were no danger of russification ( btw Russians was word used for themselves by all east slavik population, not only by Moscovites)

The Lithuanian peasantry was pretty localized though - most of the Grand Duchy was populated by Ruthenians. It would require some major cultural shifts and demographic changes, not just the continued survival and independence of the Lithuanian state.
Without the demographic changes started by the Northern war the Lithuanian population would be much bigger.

bard32

Banned
How could it happen that the Baltic languages spread and become major world languages? Could a strong Lithuanian empire do it?

Maybe a strong Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth lasted until the First Partition of Poland in 1792.