Finally! The Peshawar Lancers Map!

Okay, as promised, here is my attempt at a map of the world of "The Peshawar Lancers" as of 2025 AD. This map is a mixture of evidence from the book and my own conjectures. Sorry for the delay in posting it.

Explanation:

Angrezi Raj: Most of the info for the Empire is found in the Appendix of the book. The Empire is divided into three main parts: India (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Burma, Malaysia, and western Thailand), Australia (Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, and various South Pacific Islands), and the Cape (South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, and the southern fringe of Kenya). The British have absorbed Indonesia as well.

Britain is reported as recolonized, but is generally derided in the book as poor and backward. I assume that the recolonization of the British Isles was not complete by 2025, so I have the southern third of Britain claimed, with colonies centered on the cities of Edinburgh and Cork.

As for North America, the book reports that colonization has occurred along the east coast and parts of the northern west coast, with outposts at the mouths of the major rivers. The outposts here are centered on Vancouver Island, Seattle, Gavelston, New Orleans, Miami, Savannah, Washington DC, Long Island, and Montreal. Smaller settlements are not shown. I assume that Jamaica was recolonized as well.

A similar story goes for Europe, with British colonies in Gibraltar, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen. Military and scientific expeditions have penetrated into Germany (Essen, at least) and even as far as Moscow (judging by the appendix).

The British also maintain ports in the Mauritius Islands, in the city of Aden, and the island of Bahrain. I assume that expansion into the Philippines has also occurred.

France-outre-mer: The book mentions that France-outre-mer is smaller and less powerful than the British Empire, so they control most of Algeria, Morocco, northern Western Sahara, Tunisia, and the western half of Libya. They also have control of Marseilles and Sicily (from the book) and Barcelona, Corsica, Sardinia, and Naples (my assumption).

Russian Empire: The book only makes mention of the cities of Samarkand and Bokhara, and the short story "Shikari in Gavelston" suggests that the Russians have an outlet to the Black Sea. From this, and given the fact that an Imperial expedition to the Moscow crater went unopposed, I assume that the Russians control all of the former Central Asian SSRs, as well as the Caucasus and a slice of southern Russia running below the 50° parallel. While the Russians still claim all of the old Russian Empire, the post-Fall die-out and the general lack of manpower in the modern era has kept this area largely empty. The Russia outlet to the Black Sea is centered on the city of Novorossisk.

The Caliphate: All we know is that they run "from the Danube to Baluchistan", so I assume they control Iran, the Middle East and Arabian peninsula, Anatolia, Cyprus, Crete, the Aegean islands, Greece, Bulgaria, and Albania. Just to keep things tense with France, I assume they have control of Bari, Italy. In Africa, they control a sliver of coastline equivalent to OTL's Eritria.

Dai-Nippon: They control Japan, Korea, China, save for Tibet and Xinjiang (which I assume were lost in the post-Fall chaos), Sakhalin, a chunk of Siberia, and Kamchatca, some northern islands of the Philippines, as well as a few outposts in the Aleutians and in Anchorage, to cement claims of control of Alaska. This fits in nicely with the ideas of Japanese lebensraum from the early 20th century of OTL.

The Brazilian Empire: There is a brief mention early in the book of a "shadowy realm centered on Rio de Janeiro". I assume that this empire covers most of Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia, and a snippet of northeast Argentina. The Vatican has been relocated to Sao Paulo.

Mexican Republic: A creation of mine that controls Mexico south of the 25° parallel, Belize, Guatemala, as well as Cuba. I figured some civilization should survive there, and the place should be a bit of a "Amerixican" society. Due to various internal problems, they haven't really tried to expand much.

Kingdom of Madagascar: From the book. They are friendly with the British, but in no hurry to become part of the Empire, despite the wishes of South Africa.

Kingdom of Vietnam: Another of my creations. They control essentially OTL's French Indochina (Vietnam, Laos, Kampuchea, and the eastern half of Thailand). Both the Raj and Dai-Nippon patronize them, but neither is ready to conquer it yet.

Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, and Xinjiang: These are all independent states that serve as buffers/future Lebensraum for the Raj and Dai-Nippon, with some Russian meddling in Xinjaing.

Afghanistan: Three-way mayhem between Russia, the Raj, and the Caliphate, with many fiercely independent tribes.

Sultanate of Egypt: They control Egypt, the Sinai, and eastern Libya. They are also independent, but played with between the Raj and France against the Caliphate.

Assorted city-states/petty kingdoms/emirates: This describes the various tiny political bodies that exist in the southeastern United States, northern South America, and the Gold Coast of Africa. The empires, primarily the Raj, meddle here when they can.

Here there be dragons: Exactly as it says. Hordes of barbarian cannibal tribes in amongst the ruins of industrial cities or vast undeveloped expanse. A few scientific and military expeditions take place here, and the various empires claim these areas, but nobody really has any reason to go here, aside from treasure-hunting/empire-building.

I more or less sprinkled the impact sides around as according to the book. The European ones occur in a narrow band mainly on the north German plains, with a major hit in the Atlantic Gulf Stream, and several widely separated impacts in the western and central USA.

Thoughts?

PeshawarEarth.jpg

In "Shikari in Galveston" (a short story Stirling wrote set in the Peshawar Lancers world), the protagonist comments about civilization surviving in Mexico. I imagine Mexico survived due to being further south and in a sunnier place.

I believe Argentina survived as an independent state. I don't think the impacts would affect the Southern Cone of South America all that much.

I believe there's a rump Dutch state surviving in Indonesia--the Batavian Republic or something to that effect.

France-outre-Mer has settled southern Mainland France.

Other than that, good map.

Matt Quinn said:
In "Shikari in Galveston" (a short story Stirling wrote set in the Peshawar Lancers world), the protagonist comments about civilization surviving in Mexico. I imagine Mexico survived due to being further south and in a sunnier place.

I believe Argentina survived as an independent state. I don't think the impacts would affect the Southern Cone of South America all that much.

I believe there's a rump Dutch state surviving in Indonesia--the Batavian Republic or something to that effect.

France-outre-Mer has settled southern Mainland France.

Other than that, good map.

I think Batavia was more or less absorbed into the Raj at the time the book takes place. As for French coloniztions, I did put a few enclaves along the southern French and Spanish coasts.

Ivan Druzhkov said:
I think Batavia was more or less absorbed into the Raj at the time the book takes place. As for French coloniztions, I did put a few enclaves along the southern French and Spanish coasts.

Oh...those dots on the southern French coast are blue? Sorry.

I think the the outre-mer folks had occupied half of mainland France though. Perhaps we should check the book.

For what it's worth, my impression is more in line with Ivan's. The French have only reoccupied small enclaves on the med coast, not all of southern france. Otherwise why not just call their county "France" again and move the capital to Nice...or Vichy.

Wonderful map, by the way

In what collection is "Shikari in Galveston"?

Excellent map!

I don't remember the book saying anything about impacts in North America proper. The major impact was in the North Atlantic which put paid to the US up to the Applachians. The rest supposedly came apart due to the weather problems.

Does the 'Galveston' short story mention land impacts in North America?

Bill

Great map! Thanks a lot for this, it’ll definitely come in handy in the future. About time someone’s finished the universe where languid authors start… how about an updated map for For Want of a Nail, anybody?

A few comments/suggestions/questions:

* Maybe you can add a west coast California as an actual country. The book mentioned the Free Cities of California- perhaps they set up a defensive “Bear Flag League.â€
* Deseret is an actual enclave- the obligatory Mormon theocracy for any alternate timeline.
* Was Maximilian and the French in Mexico when the rocks fell?
* What was the damage caused in the Mediterranean?
* I think the Pope’s probably in France-outre-mer- it’s closer than Sao Paoulo. Or maybe there are two main pope/anti-popes, plus whoever the discredited barbarians have.
* So the French haven’t taken Rome yet? Come to think of it, aside from the British going all the way back to the Home Isles the major powers have done very little in resettling, given that they had over a century.
* The Philippines and Vietnam were probably fought over in one of the Japanese-Raj wars, and settled or partitioned. Taiwan is most definitely in Japanese hands.
* I don’t want to make you hunt through the whole book again, but do you know any specific location of the impacts? I’m sure that a rock hit north of Paris.
* I think the book meant that Brazil was ruling all of South and Central America, or at least pretending to. Maybe instead of being brown, and grey and white the map should be brown and a lighter shade, representing the claimed but not actually ruled territories. There needn’t be so many blank areas because S. America is probably really similar to OTL, give or take a few starved-out villages in the interior.
* How about… a Union government-in-exile in Mexico? The United States of Mexico?
* I think the appendix said that Nepal was in the Raj. It’s where gurkhas live, after all.

What is "For Want of a Nail"? Is that another story in that universe? If so, when and where was it published? Thanks.

Also, this map looks interesting for sure.

It took a long time for the British islands to warm up enough to be good for farming again, or even herding. The cold weather kind of builds up on itself after the initial freeze. I remember how shocked I was to realise that the 636 volcano had thrown the weather so much out of whack that the Nile river froze over a hundred years later because the ecotomes had moved south so far.
After the bad weather the food situation was pretty good again in the equatorial and subtropical zones because most of the population had starved to death in the comet winter famine when the crops were lost.
So why resettle Britain?

Thanks FederationX. Also, does anyone know if Stirling is going to be writing a sequel or more stories placed in this universe? Thanks.

A few things:

Batavia is an Empire protectorate with internal autonomy and has been since 1910.

The Phillipines are definitely Japanese: the Man Himself said so online on soc.history.what-if.

Afghanistan is an independent anarchy: the Angrezi keep the Russians and the Caliphs out, and consider it too much trouble to conquer themselves.

The Raj and the Japanese fought a "second Siamese war" a generation ago which was "close to a draw." If they're fighting over Thailand, geography suggests Indochina is Japanese.

There is mention of "Don Pedro's Gaucho cavalry" and their bolas, which does suggest Argentina is part of the S. American empire - something I'm a bit puzzled over, given that the Argentines should have done much better than Brazil post-fall: northern Brazil is hit by tidal waves and famine, while the book says the "Southern cone" misses the "worst effects": should be a magnet for European and american refugees, too. Flooded by hordes of Brazilian refugees? or perhaps the Argentines conquered Brazil, with a later change of regime...

best,

Bruce

Ivan, not absorbed yet but one of the appendix does speculate that it may eventually happen, perhaps even at Batavia's own request.

Madagascar is mentioned as being part of the Raj, perhaps an autonomous region as 40% of India was in the 19th century. The same would apply to Nepal and Bhutan, with Tibet possibly more independent as a buffer between Nippon and the Raj.

Whether Egypt is independent, theoretically subordinate to the Caliphate but practically independent, or ruled by the Caliph entirely is not stated.

If a single major wave hit Buenos Aires we can kiss Argentina goodbye as an independent nation. My impression was that Brazil managed to gorge itself on South America, and the price has been stagnation where the Spanish speakers see themselves as somewhat downtrodden and devote their political activity to independence while Brazil's efforts are aimed at keeping them down. This vulnerability might also explain the Raj claiming North America in total. Do I sense South American bargaining chips with Tokyo?

The inevitable Mormon enclave is a BAD mistake. If the Mormons survived then they were NOT hit by refugees pouring west. This would mean California and the American West Coast survived in better shape as well and that there should be a rump state of 'Pacific America'. Still not a major power, but possessing the territory, resources, and the united population of six million. Vulnerable but theoretically capable of playing the powers off one another.

wkwillis said:
It took a long time for the British islands to warm up enough to be good for farming again, or even herding. The cold weather kind of builds up on itself after the initial freeze. I remember how shocked I was to realise that the 636 volcano had thrown the weather so much out of whack that the Nile river froze over a hundred years later because the ecotomes had moved south so far.
After the bad weather the food situation was pretty good again in the equatorial and subtropical zones because most of the population had starved to death in the comet winter famine when the crops were lost.
So why resettle Britain?
Oh yeah. If you kill off 90% of humanity then you kill off 95% of the land used for farming and it reverts back to forest. People keep farming the best land. You are also going to kill off the livestock during the famines, and the grazing large animals like deer. Huge forest growth sucks CO2 out of the air like nobodies business. Global cooling in spades.

Grimm Reaper said:
Madagascar is mentioned as being part of the Raj, perhaps an autonomous region as 40% of India was in the 19th century. The same would apply to Nepal and Bhutan, with Tibet possibly more independent as a buffer between Nippon and the Raj.

From the book:

"The perennial question of adding Madagascar to the Empire could wait:it had waited generations...on the whole, the present free-trade-and-alliance treaty gave both sides all the benefits of official Imperial overlordship with few of the drawbacks."

Grimm Reaper said:
If a single major wave hit Buenos Aires we can kiss Argentina goodbye as an independent nation.

If, yes - the geography seems against it. The impacts were in the north Atlantic: the waves have to somehow get around the bulge of Brazil to the north, travel paralell the coast, and then take a left turn up the river. Either that, or perhaps achieve a rather sharply angled bank shot off S. Africa: and if they're that strong, the Cape Colony is likely to be wiped out.

Best,
Bruce

Tsunami can 'diffract' around a coast. The impact depends on coastal depth in two ways. One, if the coast isn't shallow, the wave doesn't build up as the slow end of the wave doesn't catch up to the fast end. Two, if the coast is too shallow, the wave breaks too far out from shore to have as much impact. Off shore sand bars are surfed these days by people with jetskis.
Buenos Aires is on a very shallow delta bank.
However, Argentina might not have a lot of ability to grow after a tsunami hits the rest of the world. Argentina had very little manufacturing capability. They had wheat exports to pay for things. No one is hungry after the famine because they are all dead. Agricultural land recovers far faster than agricultural population from a famine. Argentina may export people instead of wheat to the rest of the world after the comet strikes. All the nonspanish will have places to go to and things to do back in Italy or France or Ireland or England or where ever.

Madagascar's status in Peshwar Lancers seems somewhat like that of Egypt in the early 20th century-officially independant though in every other way its part of the empire.

Nepal's status in the PW lancers is similar to iotl if not even more British, I'm certain the book mentions Nepalese coming into India along with the British due to Nepal becoming uninhabitable. Nepal governed its own internal affairs though its foreign policy is fully British.

France has control of the western mediterranian islands, southern France and eastern Spain (if not the whole of Iberia- only the east is mentioned however)

For South America during the time period in which the comets hit most of SA industry was controlled by Europeans and if Europe is destroyed I imagine they would quickly withdraw their fledgling investments in the area to concentrate on their own major concerns.

The PWL is a chore to read....

wkwillis said:
Tsunami can 'diffract' around a coast. The impact depends on coastal depth in two ways. One, if the coast isn't shallow, the wave doesn't build up as the slow end of the wave doesn't catch up to the fast end. Two, if the coast is too shallow, the wave breaks too far out from shore to have as much impact. Off shore sand bars are surfed these days by people with jetskis.
Buenos Aires is on a very shallow delta bank.
However, Argentina might not have a lot of ability to grow after a tsunami hits the rest of the world. Argentina had very little manufacturing capability. They had wheat exports to pay for things. No one is hungry after the famine because they are all dead. Agricultural land recovers far faster than agricultural population from a famine. Argentina may export people instead of wheat to the rest of the world after the comet strikes. All the nonspanish will have places to go to and things to do back in Italy or France or Ireland or England or where ever.

Let's also not forget the post-Fall cold snap that would hit the Southern Hemisphere as the impact debris spreads around the world. While it wouldn't be as bad as in the Northern Hemisphere, it would still be tough, maybe tough enough to break Argentina, which is pretty damn south, after all.

Argentina isn't that far south, it is a pretty good climate in its 'main' part.

Hmm, we really need a better 'blank' map for use on this site. That one is pretty crap for precise things.