WI Italian troops occupie Vatican at 1878?

Pope Pius died 7 February 1878, and during his closing years the Liberal press had often insinuated that the Italian Government should take a hand in the Conclave and occupy the Vatican. However the Russo-Turkish War and the sudden death of King Vittorio Emmanuelle II (9 January 1878) distracted the attention of the government, the conclave proceeded as usual, and after the three scrutinies Cardinal Pecci was elected by forty-four votes out of sixty-one as Pope Leo XIII...
WI Italians invaded Vatican during the Conclave and occupie it abolishing by force the last remnant of Papal States? How is that changing History? Any thoughts

Leo XIII is not elected Pope "Rerum Novarum" is butterflied away and Italian Government installs a Pope sympathetic to Italian unification... Could this work?

Leo XIII is not elected Pope "Rerum Novarum" is butterflied away and Italian Government installs a Pope sympathetic to Italian unification... Could this work?

The validity of the "installed Pope" would be questioned throughout the Church. You could see the Second Great Schism before 1900.

anti-pope?

And fleeing Cardinals elect an Antipope? What an interesting turn of events in 19th century...

When a pope and an anti-pope meet, to they anhilate each other?

Seriously, if the Conclave is held under the guns of the Italian army, could it be considered a valid election? I wouldn't necessarily consider a Pope elected by the cardinals that fled to be an anti-pope; he might be, but IMVHO (and I'm not a scholar of Catholic law) the one installed by the Italian army would be an anti-pope too.

Pope Urban VI was elected under mob pressure... and so was Pope Gregory X... And they both were valid elections... Pope Innocent II on the other hand who had been elected uncanonically was considered rightful while Antipope Anacletus II who was elected following the provisions for Papal elections is considered an Antipope...
Maybe an early Vatican II to solve the matter???

Council of Barcelona

The way the Second Great Schism would logically develop is Kaiser Franz Josef gathers the fleeing cardinals together in a conclave in Vienna both from a sincere religious belief that what the Italians did was sacrilegous but also a political opportunity to urinate on Italy.

The council of reconciliation would not be Vatican II. It would be held somewhere considered neutral territory. I think they would likely pick a Spanish city either Madrid or Barcelona. Likely a new compromise Pope would be picked. There is a good chance it is not an Italian. One of my favorite AH fantasies---Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore becoming Pope is distinctly possible.

Irioth

Banned
The German Empire would strongly side with Italy, up to the late 1870s Bismarck pursued a firm anticlerical policy with the Kulturkampf.